The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

bowt1ed 08-28-2017 03:31 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Yep, got it. Thanks!

Dan in Pasadena 08-28-2017 07:24 PM

Stopped by the shop today to drop off the wiper motor. I cleaned it up - couldn't stand the idea of re-installing it with 60 years of dirt on it.

One of the guys was making final connections under the dash for the AC.

I asked why we can't just get spark plugs wires at the local NAPA? Mike explained he wants to use factory LS wires. Says he's had problems with fitment on the coil ends with aftermarket wires before.

I am a little pissed because there is a fairly large chip in the passenger side footwell. The area would have been repainted anyway because there's a slight color difference between the interior & exterior colors - they were painted at different times. It's the only paint damage so far but I want them to be extra careful.

Dan in Pasadena 08-29-2017 06:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Headlight and signals are in. Michael installed them with disconnects so that if I ever need to remove them for any reason I won't have to cut anything.

QUESTION
Does anyone have experience w/headlight seals that go between the chrome surrounds and the headlight? He couldn't install them without forcing them and didn't want to chance chipping the paint. The truck didn't have these seals when I took it apart - but no surprise after 60 years.

Bed sides have been painted - kinda. Compressor died in the middle of the job when only a single coat had been laid down. They'll have to be sanded and recoated but the paint at least shows the body work is great - to me. These are the factory bedsides and were in great condition. I think the truck was used as a back & forth to work driver only. Holes in bedside tops for a camper shell were welded shut and are undetectable from above AND below.

oldman3 08-29-2017 07:31 PM

Dan, bed sides look great, with more paint they will look super....Jim

Dan in Pasadena 08-29-2017 07:46 PM

Thanks!

All the exterior paint is 3 base cots and 6 clear coats. One apiece gets sacrificed to color standing but it should still be extra shiny!

Kim57 08-30-2017 08:34 AM

Looking really sharp.
Kim

II_Slow 08-30-2017 08:54 AM

Wow! Can't wait to get some color on mine. Congrats and great job!

joedoh 08-30-2017 01:10 PM

looks like my favorite color!

Dan in Pasadena 08-30-2017 02:55 PM

Thanks Joe! It's a 2012 Honda color called Milano Red. It's very deep and dark and doesn't photograph correctly at all. I like bright fire engine reds but I thought it might get tired of that after a while.

Dan in Pasadena 08-30-2017 07:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another daily visit:

Steam port plugs came and finally the driveshaft. I didn't get a pic of the driveshaft.

Holes were being drilled & threaded for a frame mounted transmission cooler. It was going in when I was there.

The SecretAudio (SA) head unit is already permanently installed below the driver seat & ECU below passenger seat. I'm concerned about interference between the ECU & audio so they're as far apart as possible w/o being visible when entering cab from either side. The woofer will be behind the passenger seat. The control panel for SA is about 2" x 5"-6" w/a black trim surround which will be mounted on an upholstered valance below the dash - will match the rest of interior. Billet AC vents on either side and one at each end of under dash too.

I'll use the area behind driver seat for miscellaneous storage. I bought a pair of Costco ammo boxes that I'll paint or powder coat red for behind driver's seat - no glove box anymore.

ChuckDriver 08-30-2017 08:29 PM

Loving the progress!!

:uhmk:

oldman3 08-30-2017 11:23 PM

Little by Little...Jim

Dan in Pasadena 08-31-2017 12:55 AM

Chinese.............water............torture.:lol:

Russell Ashley 08-31-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8028834)
Chinese.............water............torture.:lol:

Dan, I feel your pain, although on a much lower priced level, LOL. My son works on the vehicles where the customers are actually paying first so my truck takes a back seat to them.
Regarding the headlight covers, my chrome covers had a rubber seal that goes around the light and mine went on with very little effort. It probably will be fine to leave them off as the seals on mine had about a half inch space between the ends of the seal. They won't be watertight but might help keep out dirt and dust. My lights are standard halogen sealed beams.

bowt1ed 08-31-2017 02:34 PM

What, no interior pics?

Dan in Pasadena 08-31-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowt1ed (Post 8029136)
What, no interior pics?

Ha! Not much has changed in there recently. I'll check it later today.

ptc 08-31-2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8027858)
QUESTION
Does anyone have experience w/headlight seals that go between the chrome surrounds and the headlight? He couldn't install them without forcing them and didn't want to chance chipping the paint. The truck didn't have these seals when I took it apart - but no surprise after 60 years.

If you are talking about this part?

http://www.classicparts.com/1941-56-.../#.WajYxsiGOUk

Yes I just put them in on mine. The easiest way i found is to lay the trim ring on its face and start with one end of the rubber at the bottom. And make sure the open slit on the rubber is facing the ring. the slit goes into the rim circle where the headlight sits. Run the rubber around the whole circle until it meets at the bottom and trim it to proper length. The rubber and the metal insert. Then use some clear silicone and run it around the circle of the ring and push the slit onto the ring and use some tape to hold it in place for about and hour and it will be dry. Then just push it on over the headlight and install the three screws.... worked well on mine. Dont know why Classic doesnt have a video for it, they have one for the older trucks.

joedoh 09-01-2017 12:26 AM

use dish soap. I was having a bear of a time with a seal on a windshield and the rubber guy said dish soap. it took 1 minute

Dan in Pasadena 09-01-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptc (Post 8029516)
If you are talking about this part?

http://www.classicparts.com/1941-56-.../#.WajYxsiGOUk

Yes I just put them in on mine. The easiest way i found is to lay the trim ring on its face and start with one end of the rubber at the bottom. And make sure the open slit on the rubber is facing the ring. the slit goes into the rim circle where the headlight sits. Run the rubber around the whole circle until it meets at the bottom and trim it to proper length. The rubber and the metal insert. Then use some clear silicone and run it around the circle of the ring and push the slit onto the ring and use some tape to hold it in place for about and hour and it will be dry. Then just push it on over the headlight and install the three screws.... worked well on mine. Dont know why Classic doesnt have a video for it, they have one for the older trucks.

Yeah, that's the part I was talking about. Michael got it to fit on the headlight trim ring, no problem. But then when he tried to put the ring over the headlight it wouldn't go without forcing it HARD and he was afraid when (if) it did start going over the headlight he would chip my new paint....so he asked me about it and I told him not to risk it. Leave them off. The truck didn't have them when I took it apart. I suspect few of these trucks have them in place after 60 years.

ptc 09-01-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8029707)
Yeah, that's the part I was talking about. Michael got it to fit on the headlight trim ring, no problem. But then when he tried to put the ring over the headlight it wouldn't go without forcing it HARD and he was afraid when (if) it did start going over the headlight he would chip my new paint....so he asked me about it and I told him not to risk it. Leave them off. The truck didn't have them when I took it apart. I suspect few of these trucks have them in place after 60 years.

Yeah Im using the true 7" headlights, nthhing fancy so they fit over them easily. Some of the other headlights measure a little larger, 7 1/8" to almost 7 1/2" I have found - I have a set of tri stars that wont even fit in my buckets! So I didnt use them.

Dan in Pasadena 09-01-2017 05:27 PM

I didn't think of that. I put Sylvania Silverstars in not that long before I tore the truck down. Maybe I should measure and see if there are over 7 inches?

G&R's57GMC 09-08-2017 09:18 PM

Hay Dan whats happening this week ?

Dan in Pasadena 09-08-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 8035326)
Hay Dan whats happening this week ?

A whole lot of nothing! No invoice last week or this week, which means nothing done to it. Mike apologized but two different cars that came in for minor one day jobs ended up being multi days. One for lack of parts and one because owner kept saying, "...while you have it apart can you..."

I get it. I'm SO far past my original intended completion date now that I'll be happy if I get it done THIS YEAR! Thanks for asking, Glen!

Dan in Pasadena 09-15-2017 07:25 PM

Friday, September 15, 2017

I'm on my last day of a Kauai vacation but I'm excited because I just got a text from Mike saying:

"Hi Dan, we got your truck running this week. Now we are chasing a whole slew of small things, several small leaks for instance. We setup an initial startup tune and the PCM is tuning itself as we continue to run it. Pretty damn impressive!"

He asked if I'll be home soon (tomorrow) and asked me to bring wheels and tires, "....so we can drive this thing!"

No pic's yet but as soon as I see it I'll take a short video of start up and possibly a first drive around the block. It has no bed on it yet, but I won't care.

G&R's57GMC 09-15-2017 08:02 PM

Yaaaaaaaaa !

Now I can't wait to see it run !

Hurry back with an update .

ChuckDriver 09-15-2017 10:05 PM

Awesome Dan! Looking forward to hearing it run!

:uhmk:

oldman3 09-15-2017 11:12 PM

Dan, congrats on the good news, will be waiting...Jim

Black_Sheep 09-15-2017 11:57 PM

Best of luck on your maiden voyage, don't forget to post video...

Dan in Pasadena 09-16-2017 02:04 AM

Thanks guys! I have no tail pipes behind the mufflers yet so it'll probably be a little loud - but since when is that a BAD thing?:lol: Anyway, yes I'll post as soon as I can.

Advanced Design 09-16-2017 04:08 PM

Always exciting when they start up. Looking forward to the video. Congrat's!

Russell Ashley 09-16-2017 06:16 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to a video.

lower50's 09-18-2017 08:46 AM

Oh so exciting!!!

bowt1ed 09-18-2017 09:08 AM

Sweet! Where's the video? Cruising the hood yet?

Dan in Pasadena 09-18-2017 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Monday, September 18, 2017

Okay, so here's the startup video*

While there I swapped the 15" Torq Thrusts for the 17" Boyds Smoothies. I like them but when it has it's bed and the stance has settled, we'll see.

Items needed to complete:
- Front discs & calipers/system bled.
- Steering column & wheel - Returned one already - 14" (13.75") is too small.
- Mid frame member will be cut & safety loop installed. Driveshaft hits.

Other items: Small stuff that won't keep me from installing the bed and driving it to the upholstery shop will get done eventually like:
- Mount dead stock radio for appearance.
- Re-install stock vent doors - I took apart today - replace torn 60 yr old rubber.

*Well, CRAP!!!!! A "security token" is missing - whatever that means - so it won't let me upload the video. Anyone know what to do? And now the pics loaded sideways too.

Black_Sheep 09-19-2017 08:44 PM

What was wrong with these wheels? I think they look perfect...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1499296390

Dan in Pasadena 09-19-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8043596)
What was wrong with these wheels? I think they look perfect...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1499296390

Yes they do.....but they're 15". Corvette calipers wont fit under them. I have FlatOut Engineering C3 IFS. But thanks for the observation, I agree!

Black_Sheep 09-19-2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8043733)
Yes they do.....but they're 15". Corvette calipers wont fit under them. I have FlatOut Engineering C3 IFS. But thanks for the observation, I agree!

Gotcha!

bowt1ed 09-20-2017 08:48 AM

Dan, I'm a fan of the Smoothies......, but if you decide to go back - I'll buy them! :lol:

Dan in Pasadena 09-20-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowt1ed (Post 8043913)
Dan, I'm a fan of the Smoothies......, but if you decide to go back - I'll buy them! :lol:

Ha! You like them, huh? I do but they're kinda over the top "blingy" Maybe too blingy. I've even bought some gray peel off Duplicolor paint to try on the spokes to see if I'd like them better that way.

If I don't end up using them long term I'll sell them but I think shipping them even a short distance would be crazy expensive.

bowt1ed 09-21-2017 08:41 AM

BTW, ever get the permissions thing worked out so we can see a video?
:burnout: