The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

NEWFISHER 10-19-2012 05:55 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Ordered more parts

mknittle 10-19-2012 10:47 PM

I got most of the welding done on my frame boxing.:smoke:
What a long week:waah: The neighbors had som construction going and the excavator pulled a 120 section of our water pipe out! It took 3 days to get fixed and now we don't have much water pressure:sumo:
There must be a rock in the line.

yossarian19 10-19-2012 10:48 PM

Got the front clip most of the way off. Left a few bolts to soak in penetrating oil for a while longer. Broke 2 or 3 of them - oh well. First time it's been off in, well, maybe ever.
Once the clip is off, maybe Monday (truck lives at work) I'll start paint prep for the front frame section and start sizing up the motor mounts.

Chevette 10-21-2012 10:59 AM

Built a dolly for the cab last week. Today the cab comes off the frame, onto the dolly and I start finish welding the frame.

GMtrucknut!! 10-21-2012 01:39 PM

I removed all my hinges from the cab and put all new bushings in

hotrod1 10-21-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMtrucknut!! (Post 5659538)
I removed all my hinges from the cab and put all new bushings in

Where did u get the bushings?

arturo7 10-21-2012 03:44 PM

Opened up the box of the newly arrived AAW harness kit. Looked at the diagrams.

Holy snot, what have I gotten myself into?

yossarian19 10-21-2012 05:39 PM

Showed the project to my co-owner & girlfriend, got a lot of blank looks for all my excitement.

Chevette 10-21-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yossarian19 (Post 5659932)
Showed the project to my co-owner & girlfriend, got a lot of blank looks for all my excitement.

Woa! co-owner/girlfriend? That's worse that the mistake I made on my front suspension! You need to fix that problem.:lol:

agnes the dog 10-21-2012 10:18 PM

Installed seat belts and took my 3 yr old for his first ride. You should have seen the look on his face. You would have thought he was in a parade. Took a couple hours to get the smile off his face!

NEWFISHER 10-21-2012 10:41 PM

I had family in town all weekend. Took them to the airport and then started in on a couple projects. Pulled 3 leaf's from the front packs and 1 from the rear. Pulled the grille, headlamp bezels and painted them along with the grill trim and bumpers front /rear. Painted the wheels satin black and mounted the whitewalls. Changed all the fluids in tithe truck, oil bath and oil filter. I'm beat and headdred to bed early.

Daze57 10-22-2012 12:54 PM

arturo7

Sir. just take a package at a time and you will do fine - i was a bit taken aback when i got my harness also - but if you take your time - re- read your directions and follow the schematic you will be ok
hope this helps - good luck

Wheelie 10-22-2012 01:11 PM

got my axles redrilled off my 8.8 for chevy pattern. Removed the load leafs from my spring packs in prep for the flip. Now recovering from the worst stomach flu I have ever gotten.

Daze57 10-22-2012 01:14 PM

wheelie

yeah dem old trucks will do that to ya sometimes - gett better and back to it !

OrrieG 10-22-2012 01:35 PM

Finished the under dash ac mount except for minor stuff (kick diffusers and hose cover). Think I will move on to on to hanging the doors...

OrrieG 10-22-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 5661455)
arturo7

Sir. just take a package at a time and you will do fine - i was a bit taken aback when i got my harness also - but if you take your time - re- read your directions and follow the schematic you will be ok
hope this helps - good luck

break it down into pieces, lay it out on the floor first and reroute any lines from the major circuits (rear, front, engine, dash) that you need to. Look at where the box is going and how you are going to route each major ciruit, I made a big (24 x 36) schematic of the truck frame to help. Make notes. Get any accessories that did not come with the kit. Mount the box and start with the back (taillights, brakes, gas tank), then front (headlights, etc), then engine compartment and finsh with the dash. Do not shorten any wires until they are on the truck and ready to terminate.

Also, take a look at this guys page, good detailed information on how he did his truck. The link is to his build, also look at his link "electric shop", it has a good check list and general wiring info. http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/ezwire_day1.php

OrrieG 10-22-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yossarian19 (Post 5659932)

I would be nervous and figuring out a way to get the co-ownership corrected if her level of excitment is low or lacking. She might decide she needs a new pair of shoes and sell her interest to a third party....

arturo7 10-22-2012 07:35 PM

Thanks for the advice and encouragement on the wiring, guys.

I took a long look at the garage today and decided it could use some attention. Need to add more lighting, more outlets, more shelving, and give it a good de-clutterization before the chassis arrives. Guess I'll meander over to the garage threads for inspiration,

yossarian19 10-22-2012 07:48 PM

Got the I-6 exhaust out, removed the last of the old fuel line, set the front body work on a pallet for later, got 1/3 of the rivets for my shock mounts off / out (prep for power steering kit), got the I6 mounts out of the cross member. Some more de-griming with a putty knife & a dental pick.
Almost ready to pull the steering box & buy some engine mounts, see how this is going to line up.

retired1 10-22-2012 08:19 PM

started preparing my 55 2nd project for storage for the winter while I go to Arizona where I have a 69 shortbed stepside to tinker with.

yossarian19 10-23-2012 12:31 AM

Oh, and I bought the engine & trans cross members I'll need from CPP.
Next: pressure washing, priming & painting the frame + maybe do the power steering project.

NEWFISHER 10-23-2012 12:44 AM

Painted the steelies body color
Posted via Mobile Device

agnes the dog 10-23-2012 02:14 AM

Removed the ridiculous trailer hitch that the PO had installed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iceman_70 10-23-2012 03:39 AM

Did some welding practice on my firewall ... Still a long way to go before I can put in new cab corners :whine::whine:

http://users.telenet.be/cuypers/pickup/flange.JPG

_Ogre 10-23-2012 04:11 PM

looks good iceman
cleans up the firewall