The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Coach529 05-14-2013 03:48 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

(rolls eyes).......and the lil bugger has taken over another thread........

Dan in Pasadena 05-14-2013 04:12 PM

Lets not let him. He's gone to VW's, so be it. Ignore more questions, I am.

NOW, BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM:
Stopped off at Home Cheapo and bought a bag of grade 8 nuts, bolts, washers to install my uber-cheap, life saving seat belts (that's a joke!). Probably goin to need some flat stock, 1/8" or 3/16" as plate washers below floor and in the door pillar. Advice from anyone whose done it appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

dubie 05-14-2013 04:18 PM

You need a plate on the lower mounts that go through the floor but there shouldn't be a need to add anything else to the pillar. You could always use a thicker fender washer under your floor to spread out the load instead of cutting and drilling a hole in some plate. That's what I've done in the past

Dan in Pasadena 05-14-2013 04:24 PM

Thanks Dubie. I want to default to safety so I'm thinking of a 2x2 piece of plate under the floor. I mentioned a plate for the pillar because Juliano's (I think) has a How-To on their site that describes using a spot welded in plate up there. It'd be a LOT easier if I could use say two big fender washers instead. I HOPE that would be safe enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

dubie 05-14-2013 04:28 PM

the fender style washers I used are industrial grade so they're 3/16" thick and 3" across with a 5/8" hole in the center. Plenty safe enough. You'd be good to go with a 2x2 plate for sure

Dan in Pasadena 05-14-2013 04:36 PM

Ok, sounds good.
While at HD I found some 2x2 plate in the Simpson Strong Tie section. Almost bought them but they were $4 apiece and 1/4" thick so I thought they were overkill. Gonna go look for those washers. Any chance you got them at a big box store? Or are we talking industrial supply?
Posted via Mobile Device

mechanixman 05-14-2013 04:54 PM

(not trying to be rude)
What do you mean overkill?
If the plates fit, 4 bucks a side ain't bad. And you have the added peace of mind that your seat belts are secured properly.

Coach529 05-14-2013 04:59 PM

I am the kill of overkill. I bought the ones from Juliano's.

G&R's57GMC 05-14-2013 05:05 PM

I wonder if it would be prudent to add a few tack welds to the inner panel and door jam for the shoulder belt mount area.

Russell Ashley 05-14-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach529 (Post 6070993)
I am the kill of overkill. I bought the ones from Juliano's.

Me too.

mechanixman 05-14-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 6071005)
I wonder if it would be prudent to add a few tack welds to the inner panel and door jam for the shoulder belt mount area.

I'd say so..
Probably something like this:
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...d-cold-lap.JPG
:lol:

Dan in Pasadena 05-14-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 6070985)
(not trying to be rude)
What do you mean overkill?
If the plates fit, 4 bucks a side ain't bad. And you have the added peace of mind that your seat belts are secured properly.

You're not being rude.

I just thought 1/4" was too thick and might give me a problem if I tried to spot weld them to sheet metal. It's 3 plates per belt so $24. Cheap I admit but there's a metal supplier I use in LA that has a scrap bin I thought I might check for a piece of 1/8" that would weld better.

The retractor mechanism has to be mounted so the belt comes straight out of the top or the inertia reel doesn't work right. So if I can't just bolt to the door frame I'll have to make a heavy 90 degree L bracket and bolt that to the floor in the corner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell Ashley 05-14-2013 05:44 PM

Dan, The plates that came with Juliano's belts had the nut welded on to them and the bolts have shoulders so that when you tighten the bolts the metal ends on the belts are still free to swivel so that the belt pulls through them straight. You will need to mount yours like that also as you don't want the belt pulling at an angle against the metal end. Did they come with retractors?

Dan in Pasadena 05-14-2013 05:59 PM

Yes on retractors.
They came with the factory bolts on the retractor and the shoulder mount, but no washers or nuts so I bought Grade 8. I didn't get the bolts for the latch sides though. So again Grade 8. I bought 1/2" bolts cause that's the size that fit in the holes.
Posted via Mobile Device

dubie 05-14-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6070961)
Ok, sounds good.
While at HD I found some 2x2 plate in the Simpson Strong Tie section. Almost bought them but they were $4 apiece and 1/4" thick so I thought they were overkill. Gonna go look for those washers. Any chance you got them at a big box store? Or are we talking industrial supply?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm talking I work under ground in a copper mine and one of the HD mechanics was kind enough to grab me a couple :)

Dan in Pasadena 05-14-2013 08:17 PM

Oh well, for me.
Guess I gotta break out supply catalogs.
Posted via Mobile Device

mknittle 05-14-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 6070792)
popcorn anyone?

Now you did it Dubie I am wanting popcorn!!:lol:

fabguy 05-14-2013 11:08 PM

Guys, guys, :crazy:

if you need 1/4" plates I can get them for you at work. The guys throw them out by the bag full ( no joke either ). They are 4" x 4" x 1/4" thick with an 11/16" hole in the center. Or if you need something a lil smaller I can punch some out and mail them to ya ( for a few of the guys ), cover the postage of course. I have a bit of 1/8" , 3/16", and 1/4" plate rems laying around at my place. A shear and an iron worker to make it quick. PM me if your interested.
Posted via telepathy. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 05-15-2013 12:06 AM

An extremely generous offer fabguy. Can I take until the weekend to mock up my belts and see what kind of sizes will work for it?

I suspect 2x2, 1/8" or 3/16" plates with smaller holes like 9/16" will work for the floor but not very sure what I'll need to mount the shoulder pivots and IF I'll need 90 degree L brackets to mount the retractors.

Dodger 05-15-2013 01:46 AM

Took the old 80s looking door trim off, sanded, painted and added new door cards.

Just need to throw some speakers into the ugly holes that a PO cut.

Before:

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...94C819BFA5.jpg

After:

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...80/null-16.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...80/null-15.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

lowdownstar 05-15-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabguy (Post 6071828)
Guys, guys, :crazy:

if you need 1/4" plates I can get them for you at work. The guys throw them out by the bag full ( no joke either ). They are 4" x 4" x 1/4" thick with an 11/16" hole in the center. Or if you need something a lil smaller I can punch some out and mail them to ya ( for a few of the guys ), cover the postage of course. I have a bit of 1/8" , 3/16", and 1/4" plate rems laying around at my place. A shear and an iron worker to make it quick. PM me if your interested.
Posted via telepathy. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

wow that is very nice of you for doing that for others. this place and it's people rock in my book!

Ray

fabguy 05-15-2013 06:25 AM

Your welcome :)
This membership has given me great ideas, inspiration, things to be cautious of, and most of all re-motivation to complete my truck and suburban so I wanted to give a little something back.

Daninpasadena, not a problem, just let me know as I will probably be there most of this weekend working on my truck as I am getting very close to finishing enough to bring it home.
Posted via Mobile Device

fabguy 05-15-2013 06:32 AM

Ok so yesterday I drilled through the firewall behind the fenderwell and pulled my front and rear sections of wiring through, also mounted my fuse block. Trying to hide the wiring is a bit of a challenge on this truck. Still need to figure out how to run my engine wiring as I want it hiden as much as possible, good thing EZ Wiring sends these looms out with alot of extra length.
ooppss, gotta go as I might be late for work.
Posted via Mobile Device

focusedontheprize 05-15-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabguy (Post 6072155)
Ok so yesterday I drilled through the firewall behind the fenderwell and pulled my front and rear sections of wiring through, also mounted my fuse block. Trying to hide the wiring is a bit of a challenge on this truck. Still need to figure out how to run my engine wiring as I want it hiden as much as possible, good thing EZ Wiring sends these looms out with alot of extra length.
ooppss, gotta go as I might be late for work.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was in the same boat. My uncle is an electrician and is wiring the truck. I mentioned the same thing to him, I wanted to really hide the wiring as much as possible.

Except for the main connector (which I can disconnect to remove the whole cab on the inner fender) everything is very well ran and hidden. If you would like I can take some photos to get you some ideas.

I am also running EZ and have nothing, but great things to say about them

fabguy 05-15-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by focusedontheprize (Post 6072205)
I was in the same boat. My uncle is an electrician and is wiring the truck. I mentioned the same thing to him, I wanted to really hide the wiring as much as possible.

Except for the main connector (which I can disconnect to remove the whole cab on the inner fender) everything is very well ran and hidden. If you would like I can take some photos to get you some ideas.

I am also running EZ and have nothing, but great things to say about them

Yes thank you, pictures would be great. I like the idea of a connector at the firewall incase I ever have to pull the front end off
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 05-15-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabguy (Post 6072147)
...just let me know as I will probably be there most of this weekend....

Just curious, where's "there"? I see you give Glendora as home, that's just down the freeway from me. Is this "there" some other city?
Posted via Mobile Device

fabguy 05-15-2013 10:20 AM

Nope, my shop and my home are both in Glendora. My shop is next to Walmart off the 210 / 57 freeway interchange
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 05-15-2013 10:30 AM

Oh sure, I know exactly where that is.
Posted via Mobile Device

dubie 05-15-2013 10:53 AM

gotta love it when a plan comes together.

fabguy 05-15-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6072414)
Oh sure, I know exactly where that is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Im in the industrial complex complex accross from Costco, just look for the all the old cars if you come by on Saturday. :) a couple friends are coming by to give me a hand on the truck. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 05-15-2013 11:13 AM

It's a complex complex?:lol:

But seriously, if I get a chance I'll come by for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

fabguy 05-15-2013 11:40 AM

Lmao, didn't see that. I guess I should proof read my posts :D
Posted via Mobile Device

mknittle 05-15-2013 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the cutting and drilling done on my motor mounts. these bolt to my Camaro clip replacing the clamshell mount. I made them to use 70s Camaro shackle bushings.

mechanixman 05-15-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6070083)
When do we go for a ride?

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I WOULD have said next week, BUT I found out I have a leak somewhere, and I have water mixing with my oil....
So TWO weeks! :lol:

mknittle 05-15-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 6073628)
Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I WOULD have said next week, BUT I found out I have a leak somewhere, and I have water mixing with my oil....
So TWO weeks! :lol:

I saw that earlier. Always something.:lol:

mechanixman 05-15-2013 10:43 PM

I know this probably isn't the right place to ask,
but has anyone used those E-brake cable repair kits you can buy at auto parts stores, to fix their brakes?

lowdownstar 05-16-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6073600)
I got the cutting and drilling done on my motor mounts. these bolt to my Camaro clip replacing the clamshell mount. I made them to use 70s Camaro shackle bushings.

wow those look great, you do some nice work!!!!

Ray

mknittle 05-16-2013 09:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 6074094)
wow those look great, you do some nice work!!!!

Ray

Thanks Ray,
They just didn't look right without holes. But next tome I will drill the holes BEFORE I cut the parts out.:lol: Some days I get the cart ahead of the horse.:lol:

They replace these. the plate welded to the frame under the motor mount is to move the mount to the rear a couple inches.:lol:

dubie 05-16-2013 01:23 PM

All I've done is make a final parts list and start ordering today. The small detail stuff now like park lamps, a couple grommets and some new seals for the vent windows

mknittle 05-17-2013 09:42 AM

Today I am planning on welding up my motor mounts. Then next week I can set the engine in the frame and finish the parts that bolt to the engine.