The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   My Facetruck thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752660)

Boog 10-24-2019 08:42 PM

Re: My Facetruck thread.

Ah, the wisdom of JB. ;)

special-K 10-25-2019 06:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8615582)
Ah, the wisdom of JB. ;)

My favorite song he's done.

Boy, the fall colors this year seem better than I've seen in a while. Full color, like everything changed at the same time. And just more color. I've been torn between get into the mountains one of the best times of the year and getting all the work done I can on my place. I keep choosing work. I hope to not be having the same decision to make by next year. But then it will be go have fun or work on trucks and the bike. Right now those are all pushed back.

I'm finishing up exterior work involving paint now. Then it's replace a section of roof and a bunch of inside stuff, some bigger stuff and a lot of little stuff. I will still have more to do on the house next year, but hopefully getting close to done. It didn't help that I decided to put up a carport for the '72. I couldn't stand letting it sit out another year. It will be an amenity that adds some value to the place when I sell, so not a total diversion. It's turning into a garage now

Boog 10-25-2019 07:35 PM

I hear ya Tim. I've pushed back too many things myself. I've passed up a few car shows the past couple of years due to work and home chores. I've been fishin twice in two years. I am totally burned out. I have been too committed to the company for 28 years and missed out on so many things for my family and me. That's on me. Too young to retire and too tired to keep going the way I am.
I keep waiting for a good day to dig into something and.... I'm still waiting. I've had the metal for my shop roof for a couple of months now. When I bought it it was still too hot and I don't want to start it and it drag out weekend after weekend. Now with fall upon us it's getting nicer out. Nope. Not this weekend either. We've got 3 days of rain.
The colors are turning nicely. Maybe all the rain we've had this year has made them brighter. My grass is all brown now. I guess I can safely drain the mowers gas and put them away for the year. Ah, some other weekend. It's raining...

special-K 10-27-2019 12:32 AM

I'll probably mow another time or two. Now that there's been some rain it's growing pretty good. No killer frost here yet.

davischevy 10-29-2019 08:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm baaaa----aaak.

special-K 10-31-2019 07:09 AM

EDIT: Hey Other Larry, I made a boo-boo. I thought I hit the quote button to make this post. It didn't show after I was done. Then I found my post. We staffers have an "edit" button in everybody's posts and I hit that instead of "quote". Didn't mean to destroy the text in your post above. Oops? heh heh? Care to restore it? I could, "My buddy found us some good digs over this store. We had the abandoned game room to keep our machines. The store was run by six sisters. Not Hatfield or McCoy, though. They had a name I'm not familiar with from around my parts, Nympho. Hmmm... sounds Polish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8618199)
I'm baaaa----aaak.

I was afraid that would happen. No worries, I can deal with it.

Were there many others on the trails, more like you had the place to yourselves, or what? What's the town's name and do you know the population? Were there many places to eat and be merry or pretty minimal small town in the hills sparse? I am being serious, although it might look like a sarcastic request for a school report :cool: (What percentage of the population are of Lithuanian descent? :lol:)

davischevy 10-31-2019 02:52 PM

Our digs were in Gilbert, WV Pop. 450. The National Trailfest was held the week before we got there so they had cleared out. The trails were really quiet until last Thursday and people started rolling in. Thursday night was the busiest we had seen it.

There is no place to have a drink except the campground and BBQ joint up on the mountain above Gilbert, but it is right on the trail coming in, so no problem.

They welcome riders with open arms. The coal industry is leaving a void in the economy that the riders help fill. Off road machines are allowed to ride the public highways pretty much anywhere.

It was 811 miles from there to home and we drove it all the way Saturday.

davischevy 10-31-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8619003)
EDIT: (What percentage of the population are of Lithuanian descent? :lol:)

English, Scot/Irish, German, just like here, and they all spoke redneck, just like me, so we were all happy. :lol:

special-K 10-31-2019 07:41 PM

Yep, just the little old Mississippi River valley between you. I think you'd feel at home in Western MD. Friendsville is about the same population

davischevy 10-31-2019 10:35 PM

Mississippi River. If you ever get a chance, cross the twin bridges at the conflux of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers' at Cairo, IL. I never get tired of that view.

special-K 11-01-2019 07:58 AM

You mentioned that before... so I believe it must truly be a thing to see. I have very little experience with either river. Just crossing over on the interstate. They are both mighty rivers combining into one. That confluence has got to be a powerful place. I'd like to one day run the length of the Mississippi by road, exploring that land and towns. The same with the Ohio River.

Killer Bee 11-01-2019 10:12 PM

couldn't wait to share Larry, my boy won both of his playoff games tonight, even with some biased reffing on the second field :metal:

I'll share picture later after Mrs. Bee downloads from her camera.. finally got her putting that $2000 camera to work :lol:

davischevy 11-01-2019 10:31 PM

Man I wish this thing had a like/love button.

Killer Bee 11-02-2019 08:23 PM

one of my boy's touchdown runs last night :)

and if he looks a little big, he's barely old enough for 3rd grade playing in the 3/4 grade level :lol:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/q9ro4yngqgy...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/tmg8muxyvu7...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

one of my daughter's goals this morning :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/g0jt7jweh6f...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/umfhw7hv2ij...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

special-K 11-03-2019 10:47 PM

Neat. Both of them. I see the boys on the ground looking on in te first picture. The boy's got moves! :cool:

special-K 11-08-2019 09:10 PM

I stopped in on a buddy yesterday I hadn't seen in a while. He invited me to cut firewood on his girlfriend's place tomorrow. News to my ears. I hadn't cut a stick, have virtually nothing, and no real place to cut this year. Can't wish winter away and I need my wood heat! So it's a plus.

Oh, and since this is Facetruck, I had pizza tonight. Sorry, no pictures. I was hungry

special-K 11-08-2019 09:10 PM

EDIT:

I did not post the duplicate post that was showing here before I deleted it just now. It seems myself and Dale have been selected as part of some sort of experiment conducted by those people we all hear talking in the back of our heads telling us each and every move to make. You know the ones I'm talking about, right? Sometimes when I don't listen they just go ahead and make me do things anyway. Looks like it's time we had another little talk. Third one this week!

davischevy 11-08-2019 09:27 PM

Are your meds causing you to stutter Tim?

I had a bowl of oatmeal. No picture either.

davischevy 11-08-2019 09:30 PM

Enjoy them while they are that age Killer. It will pass with the speed of light.

My granddaughter will be 15 in February. She used to cry to go with me, now she don't have time to talk to me. I have her truck in the shop, hoping I can entice her to hang around me.

special-K 11-08-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8623924)
Are your meds causing you to stutter Tim?

I had a bowl of oatmeal. No picture either.

No, just making up for lost post count from when I missed half a day earlier this week

(I hope this only posts once)

Boog 11-08-2019 10:03 PM

That's just the way it is Larry for kids that age. Once she gets some wheels under her she'll have even less time for ya. ;) On a positive note, maybe she has picked up some mechanical ability by watching you over the years.
Since my daughter moved to Louisiana she has done some wrenching on her Avy. Been doing brakes and suspension work on it. As long as she was home she had me to do whatever needed repairing or servicing. She's accumulating some tools and books and of course she uses her "google" to help her. I am proud she is willing to tackle some vehicle maintenance. Oh and she is 32 and was paying more attention to what I was doing than I realized. ;)

Boog 11-08-2019 10:09 PM

Oh and no oatmeal for me. I'm thinking bout having some Kracker Barrel Extra Sharp cheese, summer sausage and Ritz crackers. With a cold Bud light! Yeah, that's the ticket.

Steeveedee 11-08-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8623939)
That's just the way it is Larry for kids that age. Once she gets some wheels under her she'll have even less time for ya. ;) On a positive note, maybe she has picked up some mechanical ability by watching you over the years.
Since my daughter moved to Louisiana she has done some wrenching on her Avy. Been doing brakes and suspension work on it. As long as she was home she had me to do whatever needed repairing or servicing. She's accumulating some tools and books and of course she uses her "google" to help her. I am proud she is willing to tackle some vehicle maintenance. Oh and she is 32 and was paying more attention to what I was doing than I realized. ;)

I just love it when a woman is capable of doing auto repair. Very cool. Case in point, Jessie Coombs (sp?). I loved watching her help carry a differential over to a truck, and welding on spring mounting pads. It isn't just a guy "sport", really.

Killer Bee 11-08-2019 11:36 PM

Mrs. Bee under an FL80 :metal:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zbgcrojy9a7...0Copy.JPG?dl=0

Ol Blue K20 11-09-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8623915)
EDIT:

I did not post the duplicate post that was showing here before I deleted it just now. It seems myself and Dale have been selected as part of some sort of experiment conducted by those people we all hear talking in the back of our heads telling us each and every move to make. You know the ones I'm talking about, right? Sometimes when I don't listen they just go ahead and make me do things anyway. Looks like it's time we had another little talk. Third one this week!

Tim, I had pizza too. I hate those voices, they never shut up......please let this be a single post...

davischevy 11-10-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8623965)

Killer, I thought you were the truck mechanic. I'ts nice to know your better half has a vocation that could support you someday.

special-K 11-12-2019 07:18 AM

Nothing sexier than a woman on her back... on a creeper!

Killer Bee 11-19-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8624545)
Killer, I thought you were the truck mechanic. I'ts nice to know your better half has a vocation that could support you someday.

back in the early days, we were both stationed in kuwait.. I was in charge of the maint shop and she was on a boat crew..

every rotation when a boat came off the water, the crew came with it to work in the shop..

I put 'em all to work on trucks and boats, no favoritism :lol:

Killer Bee 11-19-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8625644)
Nothing sexier than a woman on her back... on a creeper!

she looks sexy no matter what she's doin' ;)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/x6wwo1a1ad6...e%20I.JPG?dl=0

special-K 11-19-2019 07:36 PM

I won't argue

davischevy 11-19-2019 07:58 PM

Killer, that could well be the shortest answer I've ever seen special-K give. ��

davischevy 11-19-2019 10:24 PM

Tim must have a date tonight.

Ol Blue K20 11-19-2019 11:08 PM

Sometimes, not very often but sometimes.....I know when to be quiet. This is one of those rare moments.

special-K 11-20-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8629953)
Sometimes, not very often but sometimes.....I know when to be quiet. This is one of those rare moments.

Yep. We're talking about a man's wife... one with a gun... who knows how to use it... and so does he... AND this one is a friend's wife ;)

special-K 11-20-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8604078)
Buyer beware, built for internet sale.

I spotted a 72 Cheyenne SWB, big block in California for sale. It looked like a solid truck, and claimed to be a frame off. I checked the location, and I have a relative in the same town as the truck. Since he is a gear head too, I asked if he had time to check it out. He did and it was a big disappointment. The truck may have been off the frame, but they didn't clean anything and if you looked in the passenger rear corner you could see the ground.

My inspector was not impressed. The truck was no bargain, fairly priced for a nice restoration.

Yesterday I stopped at a local shop that does 4x4's and custom fabrication. They had two nice looking Advanced Design trucks that belonged to different customers. The owners had bought them off internet auctions.

One owner had the truck shipped. He took it for a drive and was pretty much afraid to drive it...

I have one such experience to report happening to me. No, I didn't hire an inspector. It wasn't exactly through the internet, but the place had a website with pictures. I found the '72 K/20 Highlander in Hemmings Motor News. It was offered by Classical Gas Station in CO. They were a big classic car dealership that I could see pretty much sold stuff the way they bought it. They had a lot of great inventory from top shelf/top dollar to abandoned project rollers, but all good old stuff.

So my truck was unrestored with lots of options original paint and no rust. I felt the price was reasonable enough for what it was that I could sort anything out that it needed. I just wanted a driver. Although I still don't think I got ripped off money-wise, I was certainly misled. I thought I saw enough pictures, but learned never too many. My main issue was I had planned to drive it home and they were saying "Drive anywhere". It's a good thing I ended up having it shipped.

Truck shows up and driver is saying what a PIA the truck has been to move with no clutch. It had NO clutch at all. Start in Granny or reverse

First time out, headed up to the corner for fuel 1/2 mile up the road I turned around because the front tires were bouncing like basketballs at 40 mph. Ball-joints way way way shot.

I figure I'll run it slow on backroads up to my shop to fix it. About 1/2 mile the other direction going up the big hill I shift to 4th and it about came to a stop when I pushed the clutch. Calipers stuck and hot hot!

Drive anywhere as long as it's a repair garage! The next time I drove that truck it had everything new in steering, brakes, and bearings.

Driving it home, going down Main St, I hit a manhole and half a spring leaf is tanging and bangin' down the road, stop, pick it up, wave to the residents watching the truck that falls apart when you drive it :lol:

All new suspension and while I was at it I did all the drive shaft u-joints since I saw that one was bad. Axles I already did. had to build a new rear driveshaft. I got new wheels and tires since it was two pair of old tires on two Ford/two GM wheels.

It turned out the tool & stowage door was a rare '73 door. It actually opened and shut well, but had the wrong contour. I could see in the pictures it was all white with no trim like the rest of the truck, but couldn't tell it was the wrong door. I had a rust free one stashed and sold the '73 door. I wasn't worried about the door because I had another, but still it was an unexpected surprise. That and it had the wrong radio when I asked if it still had the original one.

davischevy 11-20-2019 11:43 AM

When I bought this K10 I'm working on now, I bought it cheap enough I figured I could sort out the problems. I was in a position to go pick it up, so if it had been worse than I expected I could forfeit my $500 and go on my way.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got there. The truck had very little rust as advertised and It ran and drove like a dream.

Now it's scattered all over my shop. That is one reason I have been relatively quiet here lately. I am determined to finish this thing in a year.

I got to got do some sand blasting now.

davischevy 11-20-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8630063)
Yep. We're talking about a man's wife... one with a gun... who knows how to use it... and so does he... AND this one is a friend's wife ;)

I had no idea you were so afraid of guns. :lol::lol:

special-K 11-20-2019 11:49 PM

:lol:

I like the new signature. Reminds me of a guy I had working for me. He was never found dead on the bike path between his dad's house (where he lived) and the bar, but I recall he was found sleeping it off the next morning by the police after concerned citizens called. Another time he rode the bicycle. Coming home he couldn't ride it, got tired of pushing it, left it behind, and forgot where that was. I could start a thread of stories about that guy. I hired him for entertainment.

davischevy 11-20-2019 11:52 PM

Are you drinking tonight Tim? You are repeating yourself again.

3757chevy 11-21-2019 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8630538)
Are you drinking tonight Tim? You are repeating yourself again.

Whew! I thought I was seeing double.