The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

oldman3 11-09-2020 12:45 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Marc, nice console, hope it's something small on the starting issue...Jim

youngrodder 11-09-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8833470)
Marc, nice console, hope it's something small on the starting issue...Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm sure it is something dumb. As long as I have been messing with EFI it's usually something simple.

Thank you
Marc

zden 11-10-2020 05:23 PM

Console turned out nice!

youngrodder 11-11-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zden (Post 8834179)
Console turned out nice!

Thanks man, I got it all bolted down last night. I used nutserts in the floor and toe boards.

Marc

FarmerSid 11-18-2020 08:26 PM

Great progress Marc! You have got lots done since the last time I saw your build

youngrodder 11-19-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerSid (Post 8837668)
Great progress Marc! You have got lots done since the last time I saw your build

Thanks, its good to hear because at times it feels like a snails pace..ha ha

Marc

youngrodder 11-19-2020 12:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My family and I just got back from a Vaca to Arizona. When the trip needed to be rescheduled due to Caronia 1.0, I planned the trip around Dino's get down. If you know about the Get Down then you know. It has been one of those bucket list car shows for me. I was blown away. We also dropped in on Tre5 for a quick tour on our way into town. Tre5 has been a shop that I have admired for some time. They were very accommodating in showing me and my boys around. They build "Bad Apple" the drk green AD pictured. A lot of cool details in this one.

Great family trip....now lets see if I can't get this test fire accomplished.

My phone is jammed full of pics of cool trucks. Here are a few of most body styles represented (I like them all).

Thanks
Marc

youngrodder 12-02-2020 10:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been picking away on the Suburban. I installed my column. No real surprises as I pre-assembled this a time ago. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't scratch the column on the install. I have also been picking away on some of the wiring.

Thanks
Marc

Rickysnickers 12-02-2020 11:16 AM

Nice. What kind of u-joints are those? I haven't seen any like that before.

Mains52 12-02-2020 02:08 PM

I will make it to the GITDOWN one day. im jealous of you going for sure.

youngrodder 12-02-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 8843686)
Nice. What kind of u-joints are those? I haven't seen any like that before.

I got them quite some time ago. I think they are Borgeson universal joints. I think this is close to what they are
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produc...8&cat=2&page=2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mains52 (Post 8843778)
I will make it to the GITDOWN one day. im jealous of you going for sure.

I was very cool, from the venue to the quality of trucks. It's been a bucket list show for me for quite some time. I would love to have a truck in the show at some point.

Marc

lower50's 12-04-2020 07:17 PM

Wow Marc! I don't know where I have been? I missed so much of your build, but I'm all caught up now. You do amazing work with the paint and everything else.

Dieselwrencher 12-04-2020 08:48 PM

Nice work on the project! I as well want to get to Dino's! I'd like to do Dino's then the Good guy's show as well. I have no idea when that will ever happen though.

youngrodder 12-07-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8844932)
Wow Marc! I don't know where I have been? I missed so much of your build, but I'm all caught up now. You do amazing work with the paint and everything else.

Welcome back. At times I feel like I move at a snails pace so you MUST have been checked for a bit...ha ha. Thanks tho..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8844977)
Nice work on the project! I as well want to get to Dino's! I'd like to do Dino's then the Good guy's show as well. I have no idea when that will ever happen though.

Thanks..I know it's tough because SEMA is the week after Dino's (I believe) and I would like to make it to that as well (one day).

Marc

youngrodder 12-08-2020 12:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of my recent efforts. Since my tail lights are mounted in the rear doors, I chose to use Magnum Shooters to eliminate the need for wires passing thru from the body to the doors. I used these on my 48 because I had power windows and electronic door solenoids. They work great. They come in many varieties.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-mgs-3

I also added a pos & neg junction post to my removable fuse panel. This will allow for a ground or power source for additional accessories.

One of my goals with this build was to do a better/more organized routing of the wiring than I did on my 48. I have rally tried to think this one thru.

Thanks
Marc

8man 12-08-2020 12:59 PM

Very nice work, neat and clean.

Tempest67 12-08-2020 01:27 PM

very nice,

I like how your wires exit the cab through the side kick panel, instead of the firewall. very smart, I wish I did that.

youngrodder 12-08-2020 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8846851)
Very nice work, neat and clean.

Thanks, I'm trying...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8846872)
very nice,

I like how your wires exit the cab through the side kick panel, instead of the firewall. very smart, I wish I did that.

Thanks, I did this on my last build and ran them on the backside of the inner fenders. Kind of a less is more thing. I try to hide as much as I can from plain site. The EFI harness exits the cap thru the floor under the seat. I have a big rubber grommet not shown.

Thanks
Marc

Tempest67 12-08-2020 05:14 PM

I was able to fish my front and rear wire assemblies to the front and rear in a wire loom through the frame, but I exited the cab below the booster, yours looks way better.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your ideas. (makes me think about the next one..... ??)

slammed57 12-08-2020 06:34 PM

Tight work Marc, lookin great!!!!:metal:

Dieselwrencher 12-08-2020 10:44 PM

Very nice work!!! Has anyone had those door contact junctions on for a while? I wonder how they hold up over time? We have sprinters at work that use similar pieces and we have issues with them. I thought about using some of these on my 40 Ford but just couldn't decide. :lol:

lower50's 12-09-2020 08:59 AM

Ya I was MIA for a bit lol. It is not easy to make all the wiring look good, takes a lot of time and like you said you need to think it all out.

youngrodder 12-09-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammed57 (Post 8847047)
Tight work Marc, lookin great!!!!:metal:

Thanks man...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8847160)
Very nice work!!! Has anyone had those door contact junctions on for a while? I wonder how they hold up over time? We have sprinters at work that use similar pieces and we have issues with them. I thought about using some of these on my 40 Ford but just couldn't decide. :lol:

I used them on my 48 truck that I owned. I ran these with these same contacts for 10 years with no issues. They have a lot of adjustability on each contact in and out to adjust for various door gap. Each contact is spring loaded and can be individually adjusted. That is probably the difference with the Sprinter you reference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8847259)
Ya I was MIA for a bit lol. It is not easy to make all the wiring look good, takes a lot of time and like you said you need to think it all out.

You got that right..

Marc

oldman3 12-09-2020 10:20 AM

Marc, nice job on the wiring, looks super...Jim

youngrodder 12-09-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8847290)
Marc, nice job on the wiring, looks super...Jim

Thanks Jim...