The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

Advanced Design 12-28-2016 10:28 PM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

5 Attachment(s)
The solution for the contact between the pinion stub shaft U-joint and the cross member is to notch the cross member with a pipe notch. Cut out here, it will be finished when I take the powertrain out again.

Steering almost worked with only two u-joints though it needed three to clear the frame and exhaust header. I still need to do the stake procedure per Borgenson directions and this part is done. Their parts are pricey and worth it...don't cheap out on steering.

Next up is mounting the brake pedal assembly bracket...marked out here from fitting.

Decided to take a look at that again tomorrow to verify accuracy before drilling holes in the firewall. Really don't want to do that wrong....:)

Oh, check out the light my new Snap On LED puts out. Wow, under dash is now as bright as shop floor. And the light isn't hot.

youngrodder 12-29-2016 12:07 AM

Steering looks great Doug. I need to get the LS mock up block back to confirm my set up clears the headers...It's nice having functional steering when pushing the truck around. Since I swapped the 20's up front I was able to hook up my steering rack links.

Marc

iowaboynca 12-29-2016 12:22 AM

You aren't kidding about those lights. I bought a pair at Costco a while back. Just like you said, bright but not hot. That was a big win with me as i have a ton of little ones running around.

So who's going to end up with the sweeter 'burb? You or youngrodder?:lol:
Right now, its neck and neck. I realize it's not a competition, but nice.

RockinKees 12-29-2016 06:05 AM

Steering looks good Doug!! Wish mine was that "easy"....
I've got a small version of that worklight, I find them really nice to work with.

99 to Life 12-30-2016 03:29 PM

very clean looking

joedoh 12-30-2016 04:52 PM

haha nice light, I got rechargeable LED shop lights for christmas so no more knocking around that old (and hot) drop light

column looks great, nice install pics!

I have a question about the upper arms, I see the slots are in the direction of force of the arms, do they ever loosen (or even not loosen) and go out of alignment?

Advanced Design 12-30-2016 07:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7807899)
Steering looks great Doug. I need to get the LS mock up block back to confirm my set up clears the headers...It's nice having functional steering when pushing the truck around. Since I swapped the 20's up front I was able to hook up my steering rack links.

Marc

Thanks Marc, hopefully yours will fit OK. If my engine would have been a little higher, I think two joints would have done this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowaboynca (Post 7807919)
You aren't kidding about those lights. I bought a pair at Costco a while back. Just like you said, bright but not hot. That was a big win with me as i have a ton of little ones running around.

So who's going to end up with the sweeter 'burb? You or youngrodder?:lol:
Right now, its neck and neck. I realize it's not a competition, but nice.

Yep, those lights are bright...it still freaks me out they aren't hot, so that is really good for safety. Sweeter Burb? Marc's, like I mentioned on his build, only AD on the planet with Porterbuilt drop components.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7808059)
Steering looks good Doug!! Wish mine was that "easy"....
I've got a small version of that worklight, I find them really nice to work with.

Thanks Kees...easy..yeah, not bad. I ordered a small light too and it showed up today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7809447)
very clean looking

Thanks 99! Looking forward to your engine updates and TCI install.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7809517)
haha nice light, I got rechargeable LED shop lights for christmas so no more knocking around that old (and hot) drop light

column looks great, nice install pics!

I have a question about the upper arms, I see the slots are in the direction of force of the arms, do they ever loosen (or even not loosen) and go out of alignment?

Oh I have disliked the old drop lights since my college days and one branded my arm in a tight spot under dash. Thanks, column looks like it will work.

The slots in the upper arms are styled after the original 74 - 78 Mustang II using T bolts (serrated on bottom) to clamp the arm in place. Cater and camber obviously adjusted by loosening the T bolt and sliding. They work OK I guess as there are many out there. One came loose on my black truck once..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brake pedal assembly, booster and master cylinder are in place. The hardest hole to drill in that new firewall was the first one. Really took my time in measuring, marking and verifying and they came out dead on.

Made a little support for the end of the brake pedal assembly to tie it into the diagonal brace under the dash. Wow, I had fabricators block on that one as I stared at it and fumbled around with various ideas for 2 hours. I think the downward force of a brake apply is now spread evenly across the back of the brace.

Those little switch on magnets are really handy! Was it 99 using them last year and I ordered some?

The cross piece on top of the brace is welded solid across the back. Front side has three short welds.

Now to get the brake push rod length adjusted for the booster and master cylinder.

Thanks again to Mark - Reaper71- for the lead on this brake assembly from Speedway. Booster came from Summit and Wilwood from my friend Mike at Rutters Rod Shop.

Advanced Design 12-30-2016 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fun putting shiny new parts together....even if only for test fitting.

oldman3 12-30-2016 08:40 PM

Doug, should have no problem with the brace. Pedal looks good. Have a happy New Year...Jim

reaper71 12-30-2016 09:00 PM

Came out nice Doug just like you planned! ;)

Mark...

youngrodder 12-30-2016 11:14 PM

Looks great Doug. The dashes are pretty flimsy. I know mine could benefit from an additional brace and that's even with my brakes being a frame mount.

Nice looking booster..

Marc

Advanced Design 12-31-2016 06:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jim, Mark and Marc.

Last update of the year... Fabbed up and installed the fuel fill pipe support today.

Happy New Year to my internet friends!

youngrodder 12-31-2016 11:29 PM

You know that's cheating using that lift don't ya??? That modification would be more satisfying laying on your back under the suburban...

Happy New Year Doug

Marc

MIKESAD50 12-31-2016 11:42 PM

Very nice build. wish I had some of you ability. Really like the build. hope some day to have a Burb to match the truck.

joedoh 01-01-2017 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7809848)
Looks great Doug. The dashes are pretty flimsy. I know mine could benefit from an additional brace and that's even with my brakes being a frame mount.

what he said! I have a brace from the pedals to the dash brace too and the firewall still flexed with vigorous brake application. if you want some piece of mind run a "foot" of some angle from the booster mount down the to the toe board.

I love those little switch magnets, just the right size for lots of stuff. I used one to hold the door open on my 41 tonight!:lol:

reaper71 01-01-2017 11:03 AM

Happy New Year Doug to you and yours..

Mark..

Advanced Design 01-01-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7810716)
You know that's cheating using that lift don't ya??? That modification would be more satisfying laying on your back under the suburban...

Happy New Year Doug

Marc

Yep, it is cheating and we were discussing that when adding in the support bracket. Glad we have the lift. Happy New Year to you too Marc!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 (Post 7810731)
Very nice build. wish I had some of you ability. Really like the build. hope some day to have a Burb to match the truck.

Thanks Mike. Really been enjoying your build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7810847)
what he said! I have a brace from the pedals to the dash brace too and the firewall still flexed with vigorous brake application. if you want some piece of mind run a "foot" of some angle from the booster mount down the to the toe board.

I love those little switch magnets, just the right size for lots of stuff. I used one to hold the door open on my 41 tonight!:lol:

Yeah, you are right. I've been telling myself I will evaluate firewall flex later and address if needed...I just need to do it now. Oh right, you had a post about the switch magnets. Short video...

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper71 (Post 7810981)
Happy New Year Doug to you and yours..

Mark..

Happy New Year Mark!

lower50's 01-03-2017 07:34 PM

Happy new year!! I have a brace from my fire wall to the dash and I see no flex. Yours looks much nicer tho :) That light will be real nice when you get to the under dash wiring.

RockinKees 01-04-2017 05:39 AM

Happy new year Doug and your family!!
Nice and simple support for the fuelpipe.

I also made my own bracket between firewall and dash, I have no flex.
Already had to make an emergencystop at 30mph, all is still in one piece :lol::metal:
I'm with Lower, yours look plenty strong!!

Scott2 02-12-2017 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7793536)
When I went to PRI Thursday I stopped by Koul tools. They were really good guys and enjoyable to talk with...plus they had a show special of free shipping.

I couldn't resist and ordered one....way overkill for what I need....and I will be ready for the push lock hose assembly on this Burb.

I have the same kit and really like it - god buy!

T-P Auto 04-14-2017 08:00 PM

Doug; :mm:

Have posted new pic on the panel project;
Al so posted New pic in the Alternate Tinkering post.

T-P Auto :chevy:
Tim

55 Chevy Dave 06-10-2017 12:00 PM

The Burb is looking great Doug. The pedals and steering aren't the funnest part of the project but definitely necessary. Your install on each looks great.

Advanced Design 06-13-2017 05:59 PM

Thanks guys! Dave, appreciate your positive comments, you do such awesome work! Apologies for lack of Burb progress....we've been busy with many other projects, adventures and duties it seems this year. Shop Ceiling repair and paint, gator engine, lawn mower stuff, funerals, family, yard projects. Basically life ...

We are in the middle of Long Haul on Hot Rod Power tour right now. What a blast! St. Louis, Indianapolis and Bowling Green left to go.

So, we plan to be back on this Burb soon.

Thanks for hanging in there with us.

iowaboynca 06-13-2017 06:13 PM

Welcome back!

Yeah, life has a tendency to do that.

Have fun on the tour. We want pics!

smbrouss70 06-13-2017 07:27 PM

Have fun on the tour! I wish I was running alongside of you.