The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

Black_Sheep 10-12-2017 09:55 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

I did mine a few weeks ago, for a first timer I don't think it turned out too bad. One thing I do regret is starting at the front and working to the rear because it would probably look better with the overlap going the other way. The overlap is about 50%. Also, the thin metal ties are pretty puny, I've been thinking about switching to SS hose clamps on the end.

https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...12&oe=5A41CE2B

Dan in Pasadena 10-12-2017 11:10 PM

Thanks for the pic Black Sheep!

I think the ties look very minimal too. Hadn't thought about stainless hose clamps but that's a good idea. The package I have is 50 ft. It will be very tight to keep the roll intact while wrapping so I'm thinking I should roll it out in advance and just cut it into two 25 ft pieces.
I don't need that much coverage but why NOT use it? It'll be cool (literally, ha ha) to wrap all the way to the front of the mufflers.

Black_Sheep 10-13-2017 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8059731)
Thanks for the pic Black Sheep!

I think the ties look very minimal too. Hadn't thought about stainless hose clamps but that's a good idea. The package I have is 50 ft. It will be very tight to keep the roll intact while wrapping so I'm thinking I should roll it out in advance and just cut it into two 25 ft pieces.
I don't need that much coverage but why NOT use it? It'll be cool (literally, ha ha) to wrap all the way to the front of the mufflers.

I used a 25' kit on each side and it was enough to go from the exhaust manifold almost all the way to the muffler with 2.5" pipes. Next time I put together a Summit order I'll get more so I can wrap the H pipe too. The wrap is easier to handle when it's not rolled up

Dan in Pasadena 10-13-2017 12:44 AM

^^^ Ok, you told me exactly what I need to know.^^^

I'll unroll it, cut to two 25ft pieces and see if it takes me from the exhaust manifolds to the mufflers. It'll be at least close. I'll use SS hose clamps so I can re-position if I need to. Did you do yours wet? I hear it stretches a little bit if you do.

Black_Sheep 10-13-2017 01:04 AM

Put it on dry, pulling and twisting as I went. it seems plenty tight, time will tell

lower50's 10-13-2017 10:14 AM

I did mine, I used the sst tie wraps, I did not wet. Just pull real tight and wear gloves the fiberglass will make your hands itch. It has held up great 8400mi and counting.

Dan in Pasadena 10-13-2017 11:04 AM

Thanks you guys. I think dry would be SO much less mess. I'll try that first using hose clamps. If it doesn't come out good I can always re-wrap. Did you guys use a mask? I don't want to be breathing Fiberglas if it gives off loose fibers.

Black_Sheep 10-13-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8059959)
Thanks you guys. I think dry would be SO much less mess. I'll try that first using hose clamps. If it doesn't come out good I can always re-wrap. Did you guys use a mask? I don't want to be breathing Fiberglas if it gives off loose fibers.

I did not use PPE when installing the wrap, the thought never occurred to me.

The info for the wrap I got from Summit says:

Quote:

DEI titanium exhaust wrap with LR technology is constructed from pulverized lava rock, extruded into fibers, and then woven into a tight weave, giving it titanium-like strength and toughness. The improvement in thermal protection helps to reduce underhood temperatures, resulting in cooler air intake for improved performance. And less heat in the engine bay means less chance of heat soak conditions on vital underhood components. Typical glass fiber wrap is rated at handling 1,200 degrees F of maximum direct heat, while DEI's titanium wrap, using LR technology, is capable of handling direct continuous heat up to 1,800 degrees F and radiant heat up to 2,800 degrees F. And because it's pliable, there's no need to wet the wrap when wrapping headers or pipes, as many do in order to make the wrapping process easier to manage and to get a tight wrap. Titanium wrap will not shrink, and because of its material structure, it is more resistant to temperature and vibration breakdown, abrasions, chemical and hot oil spills than glass fiber wrap. Plus, DEI's titanium wrap offers a very cool carbon fiber look as an added feature!
The texture is sort of like a fire hose, kind of rough but it affords a solid grip. Your hands and forearms will get a good workout though, once you start wrapping you have to keep constant tension on it.

Dan in Pasadena 10-13-2017 06:14 PM

Thanks Black Sheep.

Mike had already bought Fiberglas wrap and SS ties for me so I'll use it. I'm not wrapping the exhaust manifolds themselves, just the start of the exhaust tubing after it because it goes directly over my coils. Hopefully it'll work fine.

G&R's57GMC 10-20-2017 01:08 AM

So what's happening Dan ?

Are we in delay prison ?

bobinbc 10-20-2017 06:53 PM

Hey Dan any progress pictures of your seat?

Dan in Pasadena 10-20-2017 09:52 PM

Delay prison? Ha, yeah. Sentenced to 3 years so far.

Stopped by upholsterer yesterday to pick up the springs from my bench. They are perfect, freshly sandblasted & powder coated. I’ll put them up for sale here or elsewhere. I figure someone will want them eventually. Other than removing the springs, cutting/fitting the wood & foam no other work has been done because he’s doing work for clients going to the SEMA show next month.

Real life has intruded on my progress on wrapping the exhaust and sanding/finishing the bed wood. And I plan to install my side windows myself...or at least try.

G&R's57GMC 10-21-2017 09:37 PM

Dang I hate when that happens .

Be sure to put a couple of layers of blue tape on the doors to protect from scratches when you install the glass.
I didn't and chipped the paint on my '57 with the vent window runner lower mount taking it out. :(

Gee you blasted the seat springs and had them powder coated for a possible future sale .
You think like I do , I have a set of wheels I just pulled of my Dart 14x5 4" bolt pattern that I'm going to blast and powder coat for the next guy .

Now get back to the bed wood and Get'er done :)

Dan in Pasadena 10-21-2017 10:18 PM

Glen,
When I had the seat frame blasted/coated I didn’t know I’d not be using the springs. But now they’re done so someone will get a very nice deal.

Yup, gotta get back to the bed wood. That just takes time...time...time!

PS: Yes on the tape. Been watching YouTube videos and that was suggested. It looks easy but also easy to scratch new paint! CANT. Let that happen.

G&R's57GMC 10-23-2017 08:57 PM

If you are using the vent windows, as you slid the vent assembly into the door it will need to be rotated to get it in .

Dan in Pasadena 10-23-2017 09:11 PM

Yup, I am and that was in the YouTube video.

G&R's57GMC 11-06-2017 09:13 PM

Been a while , anything new happening ?

BTW do you have any close up pic's of your remote mounted coils ?

Dan in Pasadena 11-06-2017 11:13 PM

Hi Glen, thnks for asking.

A whole lot of nothing is what’s new.

List of Procrastination Excuses To Follow:

I was out of town for a long weekend last week and I am cleaning out the main portion of my tiny 18x18 garage (bed wood spread & all sorts of tools spread out) to take a photo of the truck IN the garage for the insurance company. I’m dragging my feet on that.

I need to get it in there and get it up as high as I can on jackstands to wrap the exhaust. It would be so much easier with a lift, but oh well. Then my amateurish attempts at installing the windows myself based on YouTube videos will begin.

G&R's57GMC 11-06-2017 11:18 PM

Any Pic's of the remote coils ?

Dan in Pasadena 11-07-2017 06:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 8076975)
Any Pic's of the remote coils ?

Here you go. I had to use the flash so they’d show clearly but it makes the paint kinda look pink. But that was the point of putting them down on the frame- so they’d recede from view. I had to do this because I used the Delmo adapters to put Moon Equipment finned valve covers on my LS.

Also pics of her in the garage finally. Had to move a bunch of truck-related crap out of the way.

Black_Sheep 11-07-2017 08:31 PM

Looking really good Dan!

Advanced Design 11-07-2017 08:54 PM

Yes, truck looks great! Probably nice to have it in your own garage too.

Kim57 11-07-2017 08:59 PM

Looks great.
Love the seat. Must be for beach cruising.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 11-07-2017 10:31 PM

Thanks guys.

Yup, several people have commented on the folding aluminum chair. All I can tell you is I used the same chair in my ‘46 when I was looking for a narrow bench seat for it (3rd row bench from a 12 passenger Dodge Ram van worked great!).

It’ll do again for awhile until my stock bench is redone later this month. I can’t wait to see it.

Has anyone checking in on this thread installed their own side windows?
I’ve watched the YouTube videos a couple times and it doesnt seem that hard, am I being naive? I know to place multiple layers of masking tape on the new paint so I don’t scratch it. I know it’s a bit of a juggling act holding the new guides semi-in-place while holding the side glass and THEN fitting the wind wing assemblies in at the same time. Where are the most difficult points.

lower50's 11-08-2017 12:19 AM

Looks good in the garage!! Looking forward to the bench seat reveal.

G&R's57GMC 11-08-2017 12:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Dan .

Garage looks good, truck looks even better in it :)

I've got one of those folding aluminum chairs also. Had it since the sixties LOL

Don't feel so bad about how long your truck is taking.

It's like lightening compared to my project . Started in November 2010 with the chassis , air suspension, Currie 9", fuel tank, wheels and tires . That is all that is done by December 2010 at this point . Dang the tires are going to age out with less then 100 feet on them.
Poor thing just sits in the corner waiting for other projects to get done. Dang it, why do other projects keep bumping this one to the curb ? It's not for the lack of parts .

Dan in Pasadena 11-08-2017 12:25 AM

Well it certainly looks good so far. Keep plugging away!

dsraven 11-08-2017 12:30 AM

thats a nice looking truck Dan. the paint looks like you dipped the truck in a can of plastic. great job, smooooth

dsraven 11-08-2017 12:36 AM

G&R,
Don't feel bad, you're still ahead of me. mine's been on the back burner so long the build has changed directions so many times I lost count.
gotta build a rad support tomorrow. may be tight cuase I need to move the rad and condensor ahead as much as possible, but,being a 57 gmc, the grille is gonna need rework due to the rearward slant and the hood latch may need rethinkingbecause of the crossbar it sits on being in the way. I was gonna change that latch anyway but...... maybe a forward tilting hood instead?

another direction....rabbit trails everywhere

G&R's57GMC 11-08-2017 02:15 AM

dsraven,

Use a Chevy rad support , make mounts on the chassis for it. You will need to use a Chevy hood or the hood mounted structure for the ketch mounted to a GMC hood. Then fab a mount for the Chevy hood latch. You'll also have to fab a mount for the grill mustache.

Now back to Dan's build .....

Dan in Pasadena 11-11-2017 10:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ordering retractable shoulder belts from Juliano’s soon. What do you guys think of these two colors? Sorry, didn’t wipe the dust off fender before taking the pic.

Upholstery color is called “Chamois”. I’m choosing to use paint matching because it’s darker and will show dirt much less over time. I THINK the Red Wine color is a better match than the Berry. Opinions appreciated.

Did a minor thing today: “Sanded” & painted new repro stock arm rests body color (Honda Milano Red). Usd Scotch Brite red pads and Duplicolor rattle can - painter probably would have wanted $100 ($200?). Tops will be the chamois color. “After” picture tomorrow....they’re drying overnight.

Black_Sheep 11-12-2017 12:06 AM

I agree, the wine color looks better

G&R's57GMC 11-12-2017 12:37 AM

I'll drink to that (hic) ... more wine pleash (hic)

ChuckDriver 11-12-2017 02:31 AM

I vote wine too!

:uhmk:

Black_Sheep 11-12-2017 11:22 AM

Are you doing lap belts or shoulder belts too?

Dan in Pasadena 11-12-2017 01:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8080569)
Are you doing lap belts or shoulder belts too?

Both. I know PhotoSuckIt took all my photos away. I need to go back through the thread and reload as many photos as I can. But there were pics of installing some 1/8” strap about 3-4” long in them with big ass lug nuts welded on in the B pillars.

There’s not much solid in the pillars on a big window truck but folded sheet metal. If the belt keeps my face from bouncing off the wheel in a moderate accident it’s all I can expect. 60+ year old vehicles are just not anywhere near as crash worthy as modern cars.

I hope this reload helps someone.

Black_Sheep 11-12-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8080658)
Both. I know PhotoSuckIt took all my photos away. I need to go back through the thread and reload as many photos as I can. But there were pics of installing some 1/8” strap about 3-4” long in them with big ass lug nuts welded on in the B pillars.

There’s not much solid in the pillars on a big window truck but folded sheet metal. If the belt keeps my face from bouncing off the wheel in a moderate accident it’s all I can expect. 60+ year old vehicles are just not anywhere near as crash worthy as modern cars.

That's why I asked. I was worried about a reliable upper anchor point, if it fails in a crash you got nothing. I'm using Juliano's lap belts with aircraft type buckles. The floor anchors are reinforced with the oversized plates that Juliano's offers.

Dan in Pasadena 11-12-2017 05:28 PM

The way I feel about it is that if you’re in anything more than a moderate crash in these trucks you’re going to get hurt and probably badly hurt. Even in a moderate crash with your full body weight going against the shoulder belt you’re probably going to deform the B pillar. But that’s still better than your chest or your face meeting the steering wheel, windshield or metal dash. And I wouldn’t feel comfortable nowadays without a shoulder belt anyway.

Dan in Pasadena 11-12-2017 08:06 PM

FYI: re Retractable Shoulder Belts

Juliano’s belts are about $145 per side.
WescoPerfomance.com & SeatBeltsPlus.com have the IDENTICAL belts about $75 per side including the optional buckle type I want - chrome lift buckle.

They all appear to be identical belts because the color options are the same, safety standards they meet are the same. Both claim they sell American Made belts & parts. Still shopping around but right now it’s looking like there are just-as-good, lower-cost options.

slammed57 11-13-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8080658)

Dang, I was just thinkin how I was goin to add 3 point seat belts in my big window, Great Idea, Iam goin to borrow this idea if you dont mind, great work eveything else you been doin!