The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

ajgriffin 01-30-2021 03:47 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8872230)
I did try. The chain hooks were hanging too low, which I didn’t like, then the receiver was in the way. It got cut. The trailer hitch is now merely a crossmember. One could probably make it work, but it was not a priority for me. This truck is no longer tow capable.

...but with increased ability to haul @$$ :metal:

gringoloco 01-30-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriffin (Post 8872246)
...but with increased ability to haul @$$ :metal:

Haha, yup, she does that pretty good :burnout:

lolife99 01-30-2021 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know I will get over ruled by fancier wheel lovers but I really like the simplicity of these wheels from USMag.
Also love EVERYTHING you do to your truck.

gringoloco 01-30-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8872310)
I know I will get over ruled by fancier wheel lovers but I really like the simplicity of these wheels from USMag.
Also love EVERYTHING you do to your truck.

Thanks Keith, much appreciated. Couldn’t agree more on the wheels, they are my favorite by far, just wish they didn’t cost so dang much...

lolife99 01-30-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8872397)
Thanks Keith, much appreciated. Couldn’t agree more on the wheels, they are my favorite by far, just wish they didn’t cost so dang much...

I’m surprised more people haven’t chose that wheel.
I’d love to have a set of them for my moms old ‘70 c10.
I just can’t justify the cost for a rusty driver.

gringoloco 01-31-2021 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8870315)
Pics of said twin stripes?

Can’t figure out if you’re a bad influence or a good one :lol: I did figure out that the posi is definitely working and here’s proof :chevy:

gringoloco 01-31-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8872423)
I’m surprised more people haven’t chose that wheel.
I’d love to have a set of them for my moms old ‘70 c10.
I just can’t justify the cost for a rusty driver.

Agree. I’m not sure I’d buy them even if I had $4k burning a hole in my pocket, but I’d love to be in a position to have to make that decision :lol:

SCOTI 02-01-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8872688)
Agree. I’m not sure I’d buy them even if I had $4k burning a hole in my pocket, but I’d love to be in a position to have to make that decision :lol:

Man this bus is getting crowded....

smbrouss70 02-01-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8872686)
Can’t figure out if you’re a bad influence or a good one :lol:

In the long run, does it really even matter? :lol:

Stickman 02-03-2021 10:37 AM

I think you should make the decision for those wheels, they would look awfully nice and something a little different for that beautiful truck. Kind of remind me of the old Halibrands. N2Billet does make all the mods look easy.

Stickman 02-03-2021 10:43 AM

I think you should make the decision for those wheels, they would look awfully nice and something a little different for that beautiful truck. Kind of remind me of the old Halibrands. N2Billet does make all the mods look easy.

Stickman 02-03-2021 10:44 AM

Sorry about the double post!

gringoloco 02-03-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickman (Post 8874211)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickman (Post 8874215)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickman (Post 8874218)
Sorry about the double post!

Haha, no worries. Thanks for the vote. I like them a lot, too. We’ll see if some money falls out of the sky, or if my long-lost great-grand uncle finally comes through on the inheritance :lol:

SCOTI 02-03-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8874408)
Haha, no worries. Thanks for the vote. I like them a lot, too. We’ll see if some money falls out of the sky, or if my long-lost great-grand uncle finally comes through on the inheritance :lol:

Wait..... OUR great-grand-uncle is still alive? Praise the lowered!

gringoloco 02-03-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8874425)
Wait..... OUR great-grand-uncle is still alive? Praise the lowered!

If his money ever comes through, I’ll buy you a beer. A big one. Matter of fact, next time I see you, inheritance or no, beers are on me :alc:

smbrouss70 02-03-2021 07:56 PM

Does that only apply to SCOTI? :lol:

rustytruck50 02-07-2021 01:01 AM

Chris, love the wheel choice for when its fiscally possible. I get it about wheel & tire cost. I'm in the process of upgrading the wheels & tires on my Sierra. Its got the ugly steel 17's with the holes & I've looked at all sorts of OEM stuff & really have it bad for the '16-'18 Tahoe 5 spoke 20s...just can't afford them. I did settle on some Titan/Armada 5 spoke 18's...cheaper, but they are still moderately pricey with the tires. Btw, I really dig the burnout picture...just need to follow Mcbassin's lead and do some filming of the next loss of traction episode;):lol::lol:

TA_C10 02-07-2021 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8872230)
I did try. The chain hooks were hanging too low, which I didn’t like, then the receiver was in the way. It got cut. The trailer hitch is now merely a crossmember. One could probably make it work, but it was not a priority for me. This truck is no longer tow capable.

I'm glad you got the hartfab piece man, I like how he retained the stock mounting location for license plate light. And dude, it looks so much better! Proportions make a difference. :smoke:

And I'm surprised you could see your hoops. Your truck is lower than mine too, what you do lay on the ground? LOL. You can see mine but only if your way back(and that far back you really can't see actually) or you take a knee behind truck.

I'm curious, air cleaner looks real good, what color IS your favorite shade of vht?

:chevy:

gringoloco 02-07-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8874497)
Does that only apply to SCOTI? :lol:

No way, we’re definitely having some beers soon :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8876302)
Chris, love the wheel choice for when its fiscally possible. I get it about wheel & tire cost. I'm in the process of upgrading the wheels & tires on my Sierra. Its got the ugly steel 17's with the holes & I've looked at all sorts of OEM stuff & really have it bad for the '16-'18 Tahoe 5 spoke 20s...just can't afford them. I did settle on some Titan/Armada 5 spoke 18's...cheaper, but they are still moderately pricey with the tires. Btw, I really dig the burnout picture...just need to follow Mcbassin's lead and do some filming of the next loss of traction episode;):lol::lol:

I thought about a video, maybe when it’s time to make the donuts :burnout:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8876312)
I'm glad you got the hartfab piece man, I like how he retained the stock mounting location for license plate light. And dude, it looks so much better! Proportions make a difference. :smoke:

And I'm surprised you could see your hoops. Your truck is lower than mine too, what you do lay on the ground? LOL. You can see mine but only if your way back(and that far back you really can't see actually) or you take a knee behind truck.

I'm curious, air cleaner looks real good, what color IS your favorite shade of vht?

:chevy:

It does look better and is growing on me, thanks for the nudge. VHT satin epoxy is the best thing I’ve ever found in a 1-part rattle can. Always try to keep a couple cans on the shelf

TA_C10 02-07-2021 01:13 PM

I've taken some ideas from you, so glad I could at least send a nudge over man. Cheers.

Hey, curious, what psi are you spraying your TCP Global SS? I will be spraying my truck for last time in a couple months and want to get it right.

gringoloco 02-07-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8876498)
I've taken some ideas from you, so glad I could at least send a nudge over man. Cheers.

Hey, curious, what psi are you spraying your TCP Global SS? I will be spraying my truck for last time in a couple months and want to get it right.

I think I ended up around 16-18 at the gun using the HF purple throw away. YMMV

gringoloco 02-13-2021 10:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finished up the rebuild of the doors, including the installation of the Altman latches on the pass side, new weatherstripping, felts, scrapers, and vent window seals. While the door panels were off, I decided to go ahead and add the side mirrors I’ve been putting off installing for the last 15 years. The arms and gaskets seem like decent quality, but the backing plates needed one of the threaded nuts moved and the heads are loose out of the box. Not sure I particularly like them, but the holes are drilled and they’re installed, so....

SCOTI 02-13-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8879805)
Finished up the rebuild of the doors, including the installation of the Altman latches on the pass side, new weatherstripping, felts, scrapers, and vent window seals. While the door panels were off, I decided to go ahead and add the side mirrors I’ve been putting off installing for the last 15 years. The arms and gaskets seem like decent quality, but the backing plates needed one of the threaded nuts moved and the heads are loose out of the box. Not sure I particularly like them, but the holes are drilled and they’re installed, so....

Much more relaxed driving experience w/mirrors in place for sure...

gringoloco 02-15-2021 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Working on getting the bed floor in place. Requires building a framework to clear the notches and lay the planks on. Figured the easiest way was welding up some angle iron, but had to poke some holes in the floor to be able to reach the nuts on the underside of the carriage bolts. This thing will go together like a puzzle and hopefully stay together for a long time (famous last words)...

Kronald_70GMC 02-15-2021 08:40 PM

Looking good! I really like how your truck is coming together. Has a very nice "Feel" to it. I am considering doing the flatter paint as well when I get there.

gringoloco 02-19-2021 04:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8880786)
Looking good! I really like how your truck is coming together. Has a very nice "Feel" to it. I am considering doing the flatter paint as well when I get there.

Thanks Kyle, I’m kinda liking it, too :chevy:

More minimal progress; finished up welding/bolting in the sub floor braces and started poking holes for the strips. Next up is getting the wood and tubs in paint...

SCOTI 02-19-2021 04:52 PM

Looks very clean & simple. Your efforts show....

lolife99 02-19-2021 05:44 PM

You make this stuff look easy.

65StreetCruiser 02-20-2021 09:05 AM

Looks very nice, Chris. Gonna be beautiful when you are done.

cj847 02-20-2021 11:43 AM

Where did you get the inner wheel tubs? Or did you make them? Thanks.

rustytruck50 02-21-2021 10:59 PM

Bed floor looks great, Chris!
Hard to believe its the same truck that had the OBS sports side bed :cool:

regan wilson 02-22-2021 07:24 AM

Ha ha. I looked back at the first page. I forgot it was a Wrong Bed when you got it. The bed is looking good.

gringoloco 02-22-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8882580)
Looks very clean & simple. Your efforts show....

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8882602)
You make this stuff look easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65StreetCruiser (Post 8882899)
Looks very nice, Chris. Gonna be beautiful when you are done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8883749)
Bed floor looks great, Chris!
Hard to believe its the same truck that had the OBS sports side bed :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8883830)
Ha ha. I looked back at the first page. I forgot it was a Wrong Bed when you got it. The bed is looking good.

Thanks everyone! Running outta time here, and so close to the “finish line”.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cj847 (Post 8882978)
Where did you get the inner wheel tubs? Or did you make them? Thanks.

They came from Josh Hart of https://hart-fab.com/. Custom, one of a kind deal, but I’m sure he’d be happy to make more. I gave him my dimensions and what I wanted them to look like and a bunch of money and this is what he sent me. Super happy with them.

gringoloco 02-22-2021 10:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A little POR-15 action on the red oak tonight. The wood is getting the Mar-K ‘forever’ treatment: https://www.mar-k.com/_assets/images.../woodtest2.pdf I was planning on a flat finish for the final coat, but the glossiness of the POR has me rethinking that maybe for a satin :confused:

SCOTI 02-23-2021 10:20 AM

I plan to do the same & hoping for a Satin finish.

gringoloco 02-28-2021 05:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8884394)
I plan to do the same & hoping for a Satin finish.

Good plan. Behr satin exterior is looking pretty good :chevy:

smbrouss70 02-28-2021 05:46 PM

Looks good, and it should last forever.

gringoloco 02-28-2021 09:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8886730)
Looks good, and it should last forever.

Thanks, though it might not have to last forever. Would it surprise you if I said that the whole time I’m putting this wood floor together that I can’t stop thinking about how I want to do a metal floor... :crazy:

Used my square drill bit to poke holes in the flanges of the tubs. I’m liking how this is turning out; now time to get some color on them :chevy:

Kronald_70GMC 02-28-2021 11:51 PM

Looks great. What exactly does a square drill bit look like? ;)

regan wilson 03-01-2021 07:32 AM

That looks awesome.