The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

FatFenderGarage 05-27-2013 11:23 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Milled up some black walnut for a new wood bed. Plans are to finish tomorrow and install Wednesday.
Posted via Mobile Device

dubie 05-28-2013 01:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
new park lamp assemblies and I finished the interior painting by spraying the doors white

Russell Ashley 05-28-2013 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my new floor mat and sound insulation installed. The PO "clearanced" the firewall to make room for an HEI distributor and I think that's the reason for the wrinkle in the mat. I might have to cut it at the trim line and let it overlap slightly if it doesn't lay down after being in the sun for a while. Notice how well the pre-cut hole fits the dimmer switch. Also got my Lokar thru-floor accelerator installed with my original style pedal. I drilled and tapped two holes in the Lokar pedal and used two black flat head allen screws to attach the old pedal. I'm in the process of swapping carburetors so can't finish the cable yet. My old Quadrajet didn't have a choke so I picked up one off of CL with an electric choke and rebuilt it. My EZWire harness has a connection for the electric choke but I didn't need it when I wired the truck so I bundled it in the harness. I want to fish it out and route it while the carb is out of the way.
If you are ever going to install a Lokar pedal like this one do it before you install the engine. It's a PITA with the engine in place.

NEWFISHER 05-28-2013 03:19 PM

I agree with the LOKAR pedal install, waaaaay easier with the engine out! Even having the trans out would have made a huge difference.

ChuckDriver 05-28-2013 04:38 PM

Nice mod of the pedal Russell! May I copy that one! ;)

Russell Ashley 05-29-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 6094873)
Nice mod of the pedal Russell! May I copy that one! ;)

Chuck, as nice as your truck is, it's a compliment that you would copy anything from mine, LOL.

focusedontheprize 05-29-2013 03:24 PM

My rims from Wheel Vintiques showed up. White walls from Hurst (Thanks Fish and Coach) are sitting at home ready to be mounted so I will send these off to the powder coater this weekend if I can.

I had them shipped to the body shop and the guy called me to tell me they are here. "That 8" rim is huge".

......Perfect :devil:

Coach529 05-29-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by focusedontheprize (Post 6096664)
My rims from Wheel Vintiques showed up. White walls from Hurst (Thanks Fish and Coach) are sitting at home ready to be mounted so I will send these off to the powder coater this weekend if I can.

I had them shipped to the body shop and the guy called me to tell me they are here. "That 8" rim is huge".

......Perfect :devil:

Awesome....cannot wait to see them mounted up!!

Coach529 05-29-2013 03:56 PM

I bought a running 261, and a 235 with a bad lower end. The bonus is the 235 has the good 848 head on it. Also picked up some headers for the 261.

Probably will not happen until late fall, but already dreaming about Henry's new powerplant. :-)

OrrieG 05-29-2013 05:48 PM

Long box arrived with the door channels. Looks to have been opened for "inspection" but nothing is missing. Can get back to the door mods.

Bubba54 05-30-2013 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went to three salvage yards today looking for a seat for the 54. Scored this liitle jewel for $32.00 bucks from a 1994 chevy truck. Kind of rough, this is the best one i could find. Will need some foam repair and covered. Does fit nice.

Attachment 1114020

Dan in Pasadena 05-30-2013 09:59 PM

$32??! Geez, I THINK the '89-'98 Chevy seats in SoCal junkyards are a lot higher than that. I think about $150-$200. Great deal and looks usable as is. For awhile at least.

pvienneau 05-31-2013 06:22 AM

Removed 3 of four bushings from a set of 49 leaf springs. 1 more to go today. Fun stuff.

mknittle 05-31-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6099351)
$32??! Geez, I THINK the '89-'98 Chevy seats in SoCal junkyards are a lot higher than that. I think about $150-$200. Great deal and looks usable as is. For awhile at least.

Everything in So Cal is more expensive:lol:.

Dan in Pasadena 05-31-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6099984)
Everything in So Cal is more expensive:lol:.

So true, so true.

Hey, my sister-in-law lives in Auburn. I go up there to visit about once a year. She lives way off the main drag, off Lorenson Road. Do you know where that is?

Russell Ashley 05-31-2013 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a test drive. In the last few days I've installed my new floor mat with jute insulation under it, installed the Lokar thru-floor pedal, and put on a new Quadrajet that I bought of of CL and rebuilt. I also added a filter in the vacuum line to my brake booster. It runs great, all I had to do to the carb was adjust the fast idle and curb idle. I didn't even "tweak" the idle air screws but might play with those just to see if there's any improvement to be made. I love it when a plan comes together, happens so seldom for me, LOL.

Drakien 05-31-2013 11:28 PM

Had the drive shaft rebuilt with a new yoke, carrier bearing, U joints, and balanced! Drives so smooth now! Also cleaned up the dash a bit. It was pretty dirty from sitting outside.

JWright3632 06-01-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba54 (Post 6099181)
Went to three salvage yards today looking for a seat for the 54. Scored this liitle jewel for $32.00 bucks from a 1994 chevy truck. Kind of rough, this is the best one i could find. Will need some foam repair and covered. Does fit nice.

Attachment 1114020

Bubba can you post some pics of your floor without the seat in when you take it back out in the future, about to replace the floor, just wondering if I should do away with the metal piece for the seat and just do a one piece floor. Looks like it fits pretty good. Awesome...

sqrlnts 06-01-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6100406)
Took a test drive. In the last few days I've installed my new floor mat with jute insulation under it, installed the Lokar thru-floor pedal, and put on a new Quadrajet that I bought of of CL and rebuilt. I also added a filter in the vacuum line to my brake booster. It runs great, all I had to do to the carb was adjust the fast idle and curb idle. I didn't even "tweak" the idle air screws but might play with those just to see if there's any improvement to be made. I love it when a plan comes together, happens so seldom for me, LOL.

Great work Russell, your engine bay is looking great.

Bubba54 06-01-2013 12:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWright3632 (Post 6101349)
Bubba can you post some pics of your floor without the seat in when you take it back out in the future, about to replace the floor, just wondering if I should do away with the metal piece for the seat and just do a one piece floor. Looks like it fits pretty good. Awesome...

No problem, I already took it back out to work on the floor a bit. I installed a floor from direct sheetmetal. Wasn't to bad allot of trimming.
Attachment 1114536

I'm going to trim this piece of tubing and reinstall across the back. The piece that goes across the back doesn't interfere with the seat I installed.
Attachment 1114537

Good luck
Shawn

Russell Ashley 06-01-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqrlnts (Post 6101372)
Great work Russell, your engine bay is looking great.

Thank you. I've got to get some better looking plug wires and but for now that's not top priority.

mknittle 06-01-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6100328)
So true, so true.

Hey, my sister-in-law lives in Auburn. I go up there to visit about once a year. She lives way off the main drag, off Lorenson Road. Do you know where that is?

That is about 4 miles from here. I used to ride motorcycles all over the back roads around here. I can even tell you how the road got it's name :lol:
Lorenson is short cut to Bell. That all used to be a big ranch at one time.

I have probably even seen her around :lol:.I spend more time on this side of town.

mknittle 06-01-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6100406)

"I love it when a plan comes together, happens so seldom for me, LOL"
It is coming together nicely too:metal:

Dan in Pasadena 06-01-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6101729)
That is about 4 miles from here. I used to ride motorcycles all over the back roads around here. I can even tell you how the road got it's name :lol:
Lorenson is short cut to Bell. That all used to be a big ranch at one time.

I have probably even seen her around :lol:.I spend more time on this side of town.

Interesting. Her husband is a surgeon at the hospital up in whatever that town is? Grass Valley? Something like that. Their house is basically at the end of Lorenson. 15 acres, nice place.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nordic 06-01-2013 04:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got a great deal on a bench seat out of an 87 pickup. Made new brackets and got seat mounted. Will now order new seat cover for it. Temps have been in the 90's and humid so making and welding new brackets took time.

Dan in Pasadena 06-01-2013 05:14 PM

Looks good...and very much like the one Bubba (above) got for $32. I

f you paid more you got ripped off!:lol:

Kidding. Looks like nice work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 06-01-2013 05:15 PM

Looks good...and very much like the one Bubba (above) got for $32.

If you paid more you got ripped off!:lol:

Kidding. Looks like nice work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nordic 06-01-2013 05:20 PM

Only $25 got to love craigslist!

Dan in Pasadena 06-01-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic (Post 6102157)
Only $25 got to love craigslist!

I was joking. Man, you guys kill me!
Posted via Mobile Device

dubie 06-07-2013 07:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lights and grill got installed. I also bolted the tranny hump down and installed the B&M ratchet shifter
Posted via Mobile Device

Rude Dude 06-07-2013 12:09 PM

Looking good !
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 6111830)
Lights and grill got installed. I also bolted the tranny hump down and installed the B&M ratchet shifter
Posted via Mobile Device

davecarney2 06-07-2013 07:43 PM

Few days ago ordered complete Porterbuilt set up for my 59. Got the first email today that some steering components are shipped. I dont come home from deployment for 2 more months its gonna be like Christmas when I get home. Cant wait to see the Porterbuilt stuff in person!!
Posted via Mobile Device

taotaoali 06-07-2013 11:17 PM

finished installing my windsheild with the deluxe trim, and started installing my doors (after getting the first one hung I realized I cant effectively adjust the door alone, will put that one off until i can get help.

Dan in Pasadena 06-07-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davecarney2 (Post 6112700)
Few days ago ordered complete Porterbuilt set up for my 59. Got the first email today that some steering components are shipped. I dont come home from deployment for 2 more months its gonna be like Christmas when I get home. Cant wait to see the Porterbuilt stuff in person!!
Posted via Mobile Device

So...you're obviously NOT talking to us from North Carolina....where are you? Clue us in if you can. What's it look like out the door from you?

PS: Thanks for serving.

yossarian19 06-08-2013 12:02 AM

I stopped by the truck (it lives at work, not home) and got the front calipers plumbed up, wheels bolted on & greased the freshly-assembled steering.
I also walked around the truck & threw out all the old parts boxes, misc. scraps, packaging etc and got the greasy rags into a single pile.
Still have to plumb the rear brakes, find out what's dripping in the brake plumbing (!), bleed the system and attach intermediate shaft to column, then column to floor. Then the body work goes back on.Once that's all done, I'm leaving the truck alone till after I move this September.

la hi 06-09-2013 10:11 PM

I gave up on getting out the old kingpins and hired it out. I got the 57 back today and the steering is smooth, does not wander at 85. I think I trust it now to be the daily driver.
The spring shocks on the front were compressed and now the front suspension is tight. Maybe this is how the 57 drove when it was new? So far I have a straight axle, speedway disc brake conversion, sway bars, spring loaded shocks, and new kingpins all with a heavy 454ci.
I must look at the front disc brake conversion (drum rears) as I step on the pedal it takes a long time to stop. I can pump the brakes and it stops faster. I changed to a 15" steering wheel and the steering is easier to control.

NEWFISHER 06-10-2013 12:43 AM

Thought about changing the oil but it got hot here and I hauled 6 people and the boat to the lake.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedneckRodder 06-10-2013 02:02 AM

Bought a 3 core radiator (designed for a chopped down '32 F!*#), a new flex plate and a bunch of chrome goodies for the truck today. Oh, and a drive line from Pickn'pull so I wouldn't have to pay to have the one I already had extended and balanced. Hard day for the bank account, but my shop will look like Christmas morning in about a week!
Posted via Mobile Device

mknittle 06-10-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 6116210)
Thought about changing the oil but it got hot here and I hauled 6 people and the boat to the lake.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gotta love the burbs!:lol:

yossarian19 06-10-2013 08:36 PM

Got off work early and trimmed the steering column down a bit, ground new 3/4 DD flats onto it & got the intermediate shaft installed. Then ground out & installed the floor plate. Still need to drill for grub screws to secure it, but when I turn the wheel the tires move. All thats left is one or two brake flares & hose mounting tabs, I'm done for the summer.