The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Random pictures that you did not take. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=837331)

Boog 03-12-2023 09:40 PM

Re: Random pictures that you did not take.

Auto polo? Looks like a pretty rough sport I'd say.

special-K 03-12-2023 10:24 PM

Must be the grand daddy sport of demolition derby. I looked it up on Wikipedia. Never knew such a thing had existed

yuccales 03-17-2023 09:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My brother took these at the campground they're at. Three real nice trucks for sure.

special-K 03-17-2023 10:08 PM

Maryland tag! Texas bumper. camped in California?

yuccales 03-17-2023 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9187865)
Maryland tag! Texas bumper. camped in California?

Nope Tim, he's in Myrtle Beach. Some sort of car show going on down there.

FleetsidePaul 03-18-2023 01:33 AM

That's a really nice campground and a really nice rig. A guy by me has an old restored Peterbilt and it's just gorgeous. But I have to wonder how much does it cost to fix one of those up like that? It must be a fortune.

special-K 03-18-2023 08:48 AM

Run To The Sun is what that show is.

What's a killer with classic big trucks for me would be replacing those tires with virtually no wear every so many years. (for starters)

FleetsidePaul 03-20-2023 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9187941)
What's a killer with classic big trucks for me would be replacing those tires with virtually no wear every so many years. (for starters)

For starters for sure. Tires are the tip of the iceberg.

Replacing tires with almost no use bugs me too. It's like buying a loaf of bread and getting one slice before it goes bad.

special-K 03-20-2023 10:27 AM

Or chili dogs, right?

Stocker 03-20-2023 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9188564)
Or chili dogs, right?

:lol: That's never gonna go away, is it? :lol:

Ol Blue K20 03-20-2023 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 9188612)
:lol: That's never gonna go away, is it? :lol:

I don't think so. :lol:

special-K 03-20-2023 08:34 PM

Who can we blame but Paul, right? Hey, I'm not one to rub a thing in, but a guy who can laugh at himself and tells things many would only want to hide? If it's turkey season, I have a gun, and I see a turkey, I'ma gonna shoot that thang! :lol: (I wouldn't even eat a 3 day old chili dog out of the refrigerator). One more thing about this, I can laugh at myself even more! But sorry fellers, no gross food eatin' stories... that come to mind

Stocker 03-20-2023 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9188734)
But sorry fellers, no gross food eatin' stories... that come to mind

Well okay Tim..... I do have a story involving turkey wraps (maybe chicken wraps... some kind of foul anyway) and they weren't even 3 days old. :barf:

I'll keep it to myself though. I was gonna say I'll keep it inside, but that ship has sailed. ;)

Steeveedee 03-20-2023 10:26 PM

Speaking of sick. A picture I did not take.

I bought some lamb chops once when I was on travel, that after I ate them, I was working both ends on the toilet, and had to call in sick. But they were "fresh", according to the label. NOT.

FleetsidePaul 03-21-2023 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9188734)
Who can we blame buy Paul, right? Hey, I'm not one to rub a thing in, but a guy who can laugh at himself and tell things many would only want to hide? If it's turkey season, I have a gun, and I see a turkey, I'ma gonna shoot that thang! :lol: (I wouldn't even eat a 3 day old chili dog out of the refrigerator). One more thing about this, I can laugh at myself even more! But sorry fellers, no gross food eatin' stories... that come to mind

I wouldn't shoot a turkey only because I'd have to eat it and I don't really care for turkey. I'll eat it on Thanksgiving but I'll smother it in gravy and cranberry sauce. I'll eat a turkey sandwich but it better have bacon and a lot of mayo. I don't care for ham either.

I like beef. But I wouldn't shoot a cow either because then I'd have an angry rancher shooting at me. :cuss: :exit:

special-K 03-21-2023 07:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I eat a turkey sandwich for lunch almost everyday. It's more healthy on my heart than beef or pork and my taste buds love it. I put avocado on unless I'm out or the dang thing got too ripe. I have the low sodium oven roasted. It's no different than the turkey sliced off the carcass on Thanksgiving. I'll change it up from time to time, either tuna fish (albacore) or lean ham... or leftovers from supper. I'll rarely get a hankering for roast beef and buy enough for a couple sandwiches. Can't stand that unless it's good and fresh and top quality only.

I usually pack along some Utz potato chips. I'll say these could be the best there is, made in Hanover, PA just up the road. I don't buy National Bohemian, which is an icon Baltimore beer. Folks like to play up a relationship between the Utz girl and and Natty Boh. Both have been around a long time
Attachment 2263625
Attachment 2263629
Attachment 2263630
Attachment 2263631
Attachment 2263633

special-K 03-21-2023 08:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately, she likes those chips more than anyone. Been eating them a long long time. Natty Boh prefers to hang wit dem O's now. I think sly ol' Herman the German like the big gals and has thoughts of sliding on in on the action now that the kids have grown
Attachment 2263634
Attachment 2263635
Attachment 2263636
Attachment 2263637

Boog 03-21-2023 09:22 AM

I've never heard of any of that. Regional for sure.

Ol Blue K20 03-21-2023 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9188840)
I've never heard of any of that. Regional for sure.

Me either, but I live on the opposite coast

FleetsidePaul 03-21-2023 11:13 AM

That gal sure did plump up. She musta got married... It happens.

special-K 03-21-2023 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, Utz chips are only a privilege to us in this area. They use peanut oil. You can tour the plant. Lays is national and they can't come anywhere near touching Utz. Lots of food comes out of Hanover. Snyders Pretzels, too. Hanover, PA has a lot of Pennsylvania Dutch who settled there. Hanover is a town in Germany. Notice the German theme through all these brands? Old German is from Cumberland, MD up in the mountains. That's how far the C&O canal got. It's where the first National Road reached to, and a town just outside of Cumberland made the first RR rails for the first commercial RR in America, the B&O. They call it Queen City for being (used to be) second largest city to Baltimore and the farthest reach of colonial Maryland through all those firsts in transportation.

My grandfather had a bar on the banks of the Youghiogheny River in far western Maryland. The beer came out of Pittsburg because Friendsville is west of the Eastern Continental Divide, and just closer. Old German and Old Export came form slightly east and the rest came from Pittsburg

Steeveedee 03-21-2023 01:03 PM

I've seen Utz pretzels out here. The wife likes them.

Stocker 03-21-2023 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9188903)
I've seen Utz pretzels out here. The wife likes them.

Specialty store maybe? I'm on the left coast too, and have never heard of them. Until today.

Steeveedee 03-21-2023 03:44 PM

Vons, according to my wife. Not easy to find though, she says. I don't eat much in the way of pretzels.

special-K 03-21-2023 08:31 PM

I think they did start shipping them out to places at some point.

Hanover got some food

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=f94aa...bHZhbmlh&ntb=1

www.utzsnacks.com

www.snydersofhanover.com

www.hanoverfoods.com

Steeveedee 03-21-2023 09:43 PM

Snyder's is another brand I see around the house. Wife and kids love 'em.

FleetsidePaul 03-21-2023 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9189099)

Snyder's pretzels are good. I'm not much of a pretzel guy either, but they're good. I've never heard of Utz either. A rather unfortunate name. Sounds like a disease.

special-K 03-22-2023 05:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I never thought of a disease hearing the Utz name. Maybe I'm used to hearing a lot of German names. I think of "us" when I hear it. My two older kids' name is Fultz. Sounds like I need some addresses to send samples to

You never had a good BBQ potato chip till you had Utz Carolina BBQ. They don't taste anything like the other brands. They taste like Carolina BBQ

Rich84 03-23-2023 03:54 PM

Utz are the best. We luv them in Ct. too.
I had to give up all the salty snacks to reduce my blood pressure. The thing I miss the most is peanut butter filled pretzels. Now, when I want a snack I have no idea what to eat.

FleetsidePaul 03-24-2023 02:31 AM

I'm sure that Utz pretzels are delicious. But I can only imagine my doctor telling me "I'm sorry Paul, but you have Utz'. Now bend over I've got to give you a shot. :o

Those chips look really good. Time to go online.

special-K 03-24-2023 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 9189696)
Utz are the best. We luv them in Ct. too.
I had to give up all the salty snacks to reduce my blood pressure. The thing I miss the most is peanut butter filled pretzels. Now, when I want a snack I have no idea what to eat.

I've thought about your post. Hate to see you not have a go to when your gut gets to grumbling. How about unsalted almonds?. That's a snack that is an actual food, no sugar or salt, and satisfies both craving and nourishment.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9189125)
Snyder's pretzels are good. I'm not much of a pretzel guy either, but they're good. I've never heard of Utz either. A rather unfortunate name. Sounds like a disease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9189099)

There is Snyders of Hanover and Snyders of Berlin. Both are equally great

Rich84 03-24-2023 01:05 PM

I am liking the raw cashews. It took a while. I need to eat more fruit. I really don't eat any unless it's in my Tequila.

FleetsidePaul 03-24-2023 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 9189943)
I am liking the raw cashews. It took a while. I need to eat more fruit. I really don't eat any unless it's in my Tequila.

I can't eat raw fruit because I'm allergic and my throat burns and swells up. It has to be cooked. I can eat apple pie but not a raw apple. What is up with that? :confused: I didn't have any allergies at all until my mid to late 30's.

I miss watermelon and cantaloupe the most. Who doesn't like a couple of nice melons in their mouth? Not this guy. :D

I refused to give up on avocados though and would eat guacamole regardless of the consequences and I'll be dipped. It went away. :) I've tried that with fruit with no luck.

57taskforce 03-24-2023 04:46 PM

I miss the easy availability of utz, we can get them here in a couple gas stations, but not all the flavors. Ripple cut bbq are my all time favorite chip, of course that gas station chain doesn’t carry them.

HO455 03-24-2023 06:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
One of the other folks at work took these photos of a pair of our tugs tightening a newly installed line on the ship winch. It is almost impossible to see but there is a line/rope connecting the two tugs bow to bow.

First photo is just after they hooked the line from the tug on the left (with the new line) to the tug on the right. Then the tugs back away from each other until the new line only has 2 or 3 wraps on the winch drum. Then they pull away from each other while slowly winding the winch in. This stretches the line and seats it down hard onto the drum. The deck hands work with the line as it winds in to keep in laying tight against the previously laid wrap of line.

The idea is to get the wraps of line as tight and close as possible so when the next layer of line goes on top it won't pull down through the layer below. The lines are expected to pull 50 plus tons so there is a lot of force trying to pull the line through the lower layers. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get this process properly done.

special-K 03-24-2023 07:58 PM

So cool to learn. I really appreciate seeing what happens with tug boats at a sea port. Anywhere, actually, but your posts are seaport. It gets me thinking how this type of thing goes on maybe 30 miles from where I live and I never thought about it much. It's another world from here. It seems those involved in the jobs at the port all are in the more immediate vicinity. Maryland is truly America in miniature. Every ten to twenty miles it can be so different

D.B 03-24-2023 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9190014)
One of the other folks at work took these photos of a pair of our tugs tightening a newly installed line on the ship winch. It is almost impossible to see but there is a line/rope connecting the two tugs bow to bow.

First photo is just after they hooked the line from the tug on the left (with the new line) to the tug on the right. Then the tugs back away from each other until the new line only has 2 or 3 wraps on the winch drum. Then they pull away from each other while slowly winding the winch in. This stretches the line and seats it down hard onto the drum. The deck hands work with the line as it winds in to keep in laying tight against the previously laid wrap of line.

The idea is to get the wraps of line as tight and close as possible so when the next layer of line goes on top it won't pull down through the layer below. The lines are expected to pull 50 plus tons so there is a lot of force trying to pull the line through the lower layers. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get this process properly done.

HO455 - Does your tugs use the Twin Disc marine transmissions in them?

HO455 03-25-2023 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Betsy L in the bottom center of the last photo has a pair of 540 Twin Disk gears in it. There is also the Earl H which I'm pretty sure has Twin Disks in it. I don't remember which size but they're much smaller than the Betsy's. 165 horsepower versus 1300 horsepower per side. The Earl and Betsy below.

D.B 03-25-2023 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9190226)
The Betsy L in the bottom center of the last photo has a pair of 540 Twin Disk gears in it. There is also the Earl H which I'm pretty sure has Twin Disks in it. I don't remember which size but they're much smaller than the Betsy's. 165 horsepower versus 1300 horsepower per side. The Earl and Betsy below.

Those MG540's are big gears. I have worked on Twin Disc products for 40 years. Started when I was 17 yrs old working for the Twin Disc dealer here in North Texas. I am still working for the TD dealer even though it has changed hand 3 times since I started. Spent time in Houston, Tx and worked on gears in tugs, shrimpers, work boats and pleasure crafts. But mainly I worked on Oil and Gas rigs and Off Highway equipment. Done a little ZF marine gears but mainly ZF Powershift transmissions they use in construction equipment. I work for Palmer Johnson and a number of years ago we bought Mill Log Equipment up in your area, you probably heard of them.

CG 03-25-2023 08:55 PM

I was thinking those tugs were models that one of the board members builds, very realistic haha.