The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Daverods project 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336798)

daverod 03-05-2010 11:56 AM

Re: Daverods project 66

1 Attachment(s)
I was thinking about putting these bags from SD ($200) on my 64. It already has the cut springs and I removed the bumper stops and brackets. How much more would the bags drop the front end? When all the air is out of the bags how low would it sit?:uhmk:

ruffrida2005 03-05-2010 02:20 PM

that's how I was going to run mine. You wont be able to lay it on the frame in the front because of the crossmember, But that's the way to go, or make your own brackets.

daverod 03-05-2010 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So when I let all the air out the crossmember would sit on the ground? Do you think I would have to change the steering set up?;) I guess this is as low as you go with aired out cross member on the ground.

ruffrida2005 03-06-2010 01:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
you wont have to mess with the steering. This is mine without drop spindles and a small notch in the rear. Gives you an Idea.

daverod 03-06-2010 10:05 AM

Sweet, I was worried about the steering. My truck has a lot of body roll.I thinking I need to put a sway bar on the front, maybe new shocks? I have a sway bar off a 71 sub. I going to see if it will work. Maybe something to do today.;) Is that the truck with the rusted roof? It looks good from here.:lol: I don't think I would ever buy a truck that's been painted. You just never know.:ito:

Strodder 03-06-2010 11:50 AM

Dave it will go as low in the front as the frame is where it touches to bump stops. Measure from the ground to the lowest part of the frame where the bump stops were. Then with the springs installed subtract the space between where the bump stop was and what would hit it. I hope that didn't sound too confusing. I wish I can draw you a picture. :lol:

I wouldn't install a sway bar at all. If you install the front and rear air bag controls independently and not connected to each other, like front and rear controls on 2 switches. If you have each bag adjustable you don't need a sway bar. Example is when the truck leans to the right the air in that bag will gain more pressure. If the air line is connected to the left bag along with the right bag, and controlled with 1 switch, when the pressure gains in the right bag it will transfer the pressure to the left bag. Causing it to lean. When the pressure stays in each bag it will keep it from leaning to that side. Are you really confused now. :lol:

SCOTI 03-06-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3843091)
Dave it will go as low in the front as the frame is where it touches to bump stops. Measure from the ground to the lowest part of the frame where the bump stops were. Then with the springs installed subtract the space between where the bump stop was and what would hit it. I hope that didn't sound too confusing. I wish I can draw you a picture. :lol:

I wouldn't install a sway bar at all. If you install the front and rear air bag controls independently and not connected to each other, like front and rear controls on 2 switches. If you have each bag adjustable you don't need a sway bar. Example is when the truck leans to the right the air in that bag will gain more pressure. If the air line is connected to the left bag along with the right bag, and controlled with 1 switch, when the pressure gains in the right bag it will transfer the pressure to the left bag. Causing it to lean. When the pressure stays in each bag it will keep it from leaning to that side. Are you really confused now. :lol:

Independent air control will definitely prevent the pressure transfer lean. A sway bar is a very good upgrade as well. All modern vehicles have sway bars now for a reason (they work).

daverod 03-06-2010 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to put the sway bar on. On my 64 (Work/Driver) I'm thinking about bags with no compressor for now. I want the front lower and I thought that would be a good way/ cheap way to do it. I'm going to cut some more off my spring today just to see what it does. I want more of the stink bug look. Right now it's just about level.;) On my 66 I will do the level control thing for sure.

Strodder 03-06-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3843121)
Independent air control will definitely prevent the pressure transfer lean. A sway bar is a very good upgrade as well. All modern vehicles have sway bars now for a reason (they work).

Yeah I'm not saying sway bar aren't good. But if you have the independent air bag set up you don't need them at all. My 56 Belair handled really good with hardly any lean. Besides if you want to play with the air bags like going side to side, and other stuff you can't with sway bars.

I got it this low without notching the frame or dropped spindles.

http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/My-5...36_CH8zP-M.jpg

http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/My-5...47_JoFfp-M.jpg

http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/My-5...26_w2w9j-M.jpg

http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/My-5...89_aThoj-M.jpg

daverod 03-06-2010 02:10 PM

Cool ride.:metal: When I get some $$ I'm doing it on the 66. "I want to be able to drive around all screwed up.:lol:

Strodder 03-06-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3843272)
Cool ride.:metal: When I get some $$ I'm doing it on the 66. "I want to be able to drive around all screwed up.:lol:

There goes your tires. :uhmk::lol:

SCOTI 03-06-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3843246)
Yeah I'm not saying sway bar aren't good. But if you have the independent air bag set up you don't need them at all.

That's where our opinions differ & obviously there's not one, correct, one size fits all answer.

Sure, you can run w/o them, but they are a benefit for stabilizing the front suspension when using softer, street friendly spring rates. To me, bags fall into that category regardless of whether they're controlled independently or not. I've ran dropped C10's w/o a sway bar & then installed one.... what a difference they make on vehicles w/higher COG's.

daverod 03-06-2010 02:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Loading up the sled when I got a killer idea for my tilt hood on my 66. I always wondered how people made them tilt. Now I have an idea.:metal: Now I just have to figure out how to keep it locked down.

Strodder 03-06-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3843277)
That's where our opinions differ & obviously there's not one, correct, one size fits all answer.

Sure, you can run w/o them, but they are a benefit for stabilizing the front suspension when using softer, street friendly spring rates. To me, bags fall into that category regardless of whether they're controlled independently or not. I've ran dropped C10's w/o a sway bar & then installed one.... what a difference they make on vehicles w/higher COG's.

All I can say is I've installed hundred's of air bags on every thing from 47 Caddys, to brand new Tahoe's. With my Chevy a Nissan Z couldn't catch me on Mulholland Drive. With springs you need sway bars. With air bags if set up right it's not really needed.

daverod 03-06-2010 02:33 PM

:but::m3::lol: Ya but you never put air bags on a sled did you? :mm:

Strodder 03-06-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3843299)
:but::m3::lol: Ya but you never put air bags on a sled did you? :mm:

Bring it over. :lol:

daverod 03-06-2010 02:41 PM

I'm loading up now should be there in about 600/75=make it ten hours.:lol: So about eight your time. Enough goofing off I have a sway bar to install. I really have no idea of where the ends hook up to. I'm sure I'll get it figured out. Then I'm taking my puppy for a truck ride. Now where did I put those parts?

watahyahknow 03-06-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3843279)
Loading up the sled when I got a killer idea for my tilt hood on my 66. I always wondered how people made them tilt. Now I have an idea.:metal: Now I just have to figure out how to keep it locked down.

some european cars have a verry nice cable operated latch with a small cone to catch the part on the hood that should work good enough on wat youre planning
i do think you need to reinforce the rear of the setup a bit so youre able to lift the whole hood from one of the sides without bending it up

daverod 03-06-2010 04:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Cut about 1/2 a coil off dropped about 2". Might be too much going for a drive.;)

Strodder 03-06-2010 04:33 PM

Looks better

daverod 03-06-2010 05:28 PM

Rides sweet. Did'nt bottom out once. The springs where making some noise. Checked it out. They are rubbing on the sides of the mount on top? I did'nt replace the part that holds the bottom of them in. Maybe it's important.:lol: I did'nt replace it before and did';nt have a problem. Dog loved his ride. Biker guy gave me the thumbs up.:metal: I need a posi.:lol:

daverod 03-06-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 3843436)
some european cars have a verry nice cable operated latch with a small cone to catch the part on the hood that should work good enough on wat youre planning
i do think you need to reinforce the rear of the setup a bit so youre able to lift the whole hood from one of the sides without bending it up

I'll have to see how my Olds works. Good idea:smoke:

daverod 03-06-2010 05:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The morph.:lol: Damn that was a good looking camper.:lol: Still remember the guy at dump wondering what the hell I was doing. By the time he figured it out I was gone and so was the camper.:lol: The money I got for the jacks paid for half the truck.

daverod 03-06-2010 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bubba why don't you go buy this for me.;)

bubba327 03-06-2010 11:16 PM

When we finish what we started here, then we will talk buying about a new project. Congratulations on driving your truck. Just starting mine is a rush, Driving it will come soon.