The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Daverods project 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336798)

daverod 03-06-2010 11:23 PM

Re: Daverods project 66

I'm loving mine. It's a buzz saw.:metal: Figured out my springs were'nt in right. Had to turn them alittle. After I did that no more noise and it sits even lower. I wish I lived in Boise. Congrats on your truck.:metal: I just want to buy the truck for a furture project. Thats ok is'nt it. It won't really be a project.

ruffrida2005 03-06-2010 11:32 PM

That's the truck witht he jacked up roof. I really need to take a wire brush to the seam sealer and see what's really going on. Wont be for a little while. I haven't been able to work on the truck. I'm building my son's a moster swing set.

Now get back to work.

daverod 03-06-2010 11:46 PM

I hate stuff like that. Stuff with instructions and parts with numbers and stuff. I always make my wife put that stuff together, or at least read it and tell me what to do.:lol: Good luck with it.:lol: What size of air tank do I need?

daverod 03-06-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3843531)
Rides sweet. Did'nt bottom out once. The springs where making some noise. Checked it out. They are rubbing on the sides of the mount on top? I did'nt replace the part that holds the bottom of them in.

Ha, there was no part holding the bottom of spring in. Different truck parts I guess. The spring just sits in the pocket but it has to be sitting in there the right way. It was wacked. I just turned it alittle and in set down the way it should have been. Now it's even lower.:metal: Guess I'll have to order a sway bar for lowered trucks. The one I have won't work.:waah:

ruffrida2005 03-06-2010 11:54 PM

Oh it's nothing that is bought. were builing it ourselves.

The air tank size depends on if you wanna play or if you just wanna go up and down when you get in and out. My truck just had a 3 gal tank at first in that pic. Only front and back. I'm going to run a 8 Gal now, 8 valves and I wanna play a little at first. A 5 gal is a good all around tank. Remember you need to check the rateing on the compressor to see what size tank they will fill. Most Viars are rated for a 5 Gal. That's why I'm running 2.

daverod 03-07-2010 12:03 AM

Sweet ,now I know. I can live with building stuff as long as there's no instructions. I love it even better when the instructions are in like 12 different languages. A picture is ok as long as it's in English..:smoke:

daverod 03-08-2010 09:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Parts fairy dropped off some new u bolts. They were larger then the old ones. Had to drill new holes, what a pain did'nt wait to spend 20 on a new bit. Gott my arms and tires mounted. Can't figure out why it won't go all the way to the ground. In think my upper arms are hitting the frame and stopping it from moving down? If I stand on the front it will go all the way.??:uhmk:

ruffrida2005 03-08-2010 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You have to notch out at the top of the spring cup so the upper arm will go lower.

ruffrida2005 03-08-2010 10:07 PM

http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4257

daverod 03-08-2010 10:10 PM

I don't get it? I'll have go look.;) I was just looking at my tires compaired to my 64 they are huge.

daverod 03-08-2010 10:25 PM

Looks like they notched it to get access to the bags. Good idea I'll do it. Still don't see why my frame is'nt on the ground. I guess with my engine in there it will be. Just has me worried. My arms look really close to the frame. they touch it. I was thinking they were bindiing.:ito: Nice link good info thanks Paul

ruffrida2005 03-08-2010 10:26 PM

did you see it before I posted the pic and the link. Just cut a whole it in. everyones doing it. It's all the rage.

ruffrida2005 03-08-2010 10:28 PM

You dont need to access the bag from there. Go take a look at it and I bet your arms are hitting right here. Look and a bunch of other pics of bagged trucks and you'll see the same.

daverod 03-08-2010 10:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I don't know? the upper arms are'nt even close to the part that is notched in the pictures. They move in the other direction. Are you popping pain meds like smarties again.:lol:
#17 From the linky.
"They are cut out for access to the top of the bag. It looks as though he welded in the upper bag plate instead of bolting it on. When you do that the only way to access the top of the bag is to cut an access hole. IMO even if you bolt that plate on, it is a good idea to cut an access hole to make it easier to swap the bag out."

protrash64 03-08-2010 11:45 PM

Could be balljoint bind or the cross shafts binding up a little. On my burb they were tight but the BBC should push 'em down no problem.

Lookin' really cool daverod :metal::metal::metal:........

daverod 03-08-2010 11:59 PM

I think your right. When I stand on he front it hits the ground.:metal: Time for some front bags.:metal: Took another look at my sway bar. I think it will work. I just have to get it up high enough to drill some holes. No, I don't have a fancy lift, yet. After those u bolt holes I'm sick of drilling.

protrash64 03-09-2010 12:11 PM

I had to drill those on my p/u and do it from underneath. I know what your saying!!:lol: I was very glad when they finally fit in place.

daverod 03-09-2010 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Put my sway bar on. Went on real easy. :metal: The hardest part was grinding down the rivets on the crossmember. Went for a test drive. I thought I was in a Vette. What a difference. Well worth the time and money. Hour and a half and it was free off an old parts truck. I'm sure it would be better if I had new rubber.

ruffrida2005 03-09-2010 10:42 PM

man I have been taking my pain pills, I'm on some good stuff. I was trippin about the notch. You notch the crossmember for lift. You may or may not have a problem with it. put a motor in it and watch it lay out.

daverod 03-09-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3850842)
man I have been taking my pain pills, I'm on some good stuff. I was trippin about the notch. You notch the crossmember for lift. You may or may not have a problem with it. put a motor in it and watch it lay out.

:lol::lol::smoke:

SCOTI 03-10-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3850685)
Put my sway bar on. Went on real easy. :metal: The hardest part was grinding down the rivets on the crossmember. Went for a test drive. I thought I was in a Vette. What a difference. Well worth the time and money. Hour and a half and it was free off an old parts truck. I'm sure it would be better if I had new rubber.

Skip the 'new' rubber & go w/poly. Energy Suspension makes various sizes in black. Some are fluted w/a zerk fitting in the bracket so they can easily be serviced when lubing the other front end parts.

daverod 03-10-2010 10:06 AM

Found a dealer near my house.:smoke: I'll check it out today.;)

protrash64 03-10-2010 10:18 PM

Daverod.....I just noticed that you used the pancaked x-member that you made. Did your engine stands sit ok or were they modified too??

daverod 03-10-2010 10:27 PM

I haven't gotton that far. My engines not in my 66. Do you think I'll have to mess with the engine mounts? I don't know if I'm going to use it or not. I'm thinking a DM might save me a lot of problems. But this is cheap and done.:lol:

Captainfab 03-11-2010 01:08 AM

That part of the crossmember remains in the original location. So the engine stands will work without modificaton.

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3852889)
Daverod.....I just noticed that you used the pancaked x-member that you made. Did your engine stands sit ok or were they modified too??