The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

youngrodder 04-19-2021 07:41 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Well I fired the motor this weekend. This time it fired right up just like on TV. No issues. That is how the first start up was supposed to go. No I can start assembling the rest of the front sheet metal.

I also hung the rear doors complete with seals and functioning latches and door hardware. The Suburban back door latches and hardware they don't reproduce. I reconditioned mine and modified a side door handle to work for the back doors. Very pleased how well they shut and seal.

Full speed ahead. Looking for a late spring test drive...

Marc

ajgriffin 04-19-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8910418)
Well I fired the motor this weekend. This time it fired right up just like on TV. No issues. That is how the first start up was supposed to go. No I can start assembling the rest of the front sheet metal.

I also hung the rear doors complete with seals and functioning latches and door hardware. The Suburban back door latches and hardware they don't reproduce. I reconditioned mine and modified a side door handle to work for the back doors. Very pleased how well they shut and seal.

Full speed ahead. Looking for a late spring test drive...

Marc

:metal: CONGRATS!!!

6DoF 04-19-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8908739)

Can you tell I soured on DD??

Marc

they look amazing and really have a lot of the bases covered, but for the money i keep leaning further away. for the Cummins i was looking at $2000-2500 and there was zero option for data logging. that was a deal breaker for me.

8man 04-19-2021 08:43 AM

That's a big day! Congratulations.

youngrodder 04-19-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriffin (Post 8910422)
:metal: CONGRATS!!!

Thanks I was stoked..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8910427)
they look amazing and really have a lot of the bases covered, but for the money i keep leaning further away. for the Cummins i was looking at $2000-2500 and there was zero option for data logging. that was a deal breaker for me.

I worked on hooking up the new module (GSS-3000) so my gears now display. I may to sell the module that I'm not using.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8910441)
That's a big day! Congratulations.

Thanks, I need to hook up my throttle cable so I can bring up the RPM's to hear the exhaust better. I like what I have heard so far.

Marc

Tempest67 04-19-2021 09:39 AM

a milestone day for sure , Congrats

oldman3 04-19-2021 10:13 AM

Marc, congrats on the start up, can't wait for the test drive...Jim

youngrodder 04-19-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8910466)
a milestone day for sure , Congrats

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8910481)
Marc, congrats on the start up, can't wait for the test drive...Jim

You and me both Jim.....Waiting on a drive shaft that I needed shortened. Should be done in about a week.

Marc

Dieselwrencher 04-21-2021 05:13 AM

Congrats on the no issue first start up! That's always a great feeling!

youngrodder 04-21-2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8911205)
Congrats on the no issue first start up! That's always a great feeling!

No, this was the 2nd test fire. The initial one crated major issues from a stuck open injector. I think I had PTSD from the first start attempt. Attempt #2 went off smooth...

Thanks

Marc

olcarguy 04-21-2021 09:06 AM

Awsome....starting to see the light at the end of a long tunnel....:cong:

youngrodder 04-21-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olcarguy (Post 8911288)
Awsome....starting to see the light at the end of a long tunnel....:cong:

Thank you....

Marc

lower50's 04-21-2021 11:41 PM

Congratulations Marc!! It's always funny when you see the "first start" on tv. You will have to have a pole to see weather your green truck or this truck wins lol.

youngrodder 04-22-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8911663)
Congratulations Marc!! It's always funny when you see the "first start" on tv. You will have to have a pole to see weather your green truck or this truck wins lol.

Thank you...I'm guessing the green truck would win in a landslide. I think most people around me that knew the green truck wont "get" the look of the Suburban. When in reality this Suburban is a so much nicer build in many ways (minus paint) than the green truck.

Dropped the wheels off this morning to be mounted/balanced. Picked up my carpet and last of the upholstery last night and I go to pick up my drive shaft tomorrow...

Marc

youngrodder 04-26-2021 09:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I installed my driver seat (temporarily) to allow me to mount my throttle pedal and cable. I was fearing the worse with the throttle pedal as I needed to make a mount and since my firewall was painted it had to be a bolt in solution. The mount I made years ago was a weld on solution. I was pleased how well it all turned out. Most people that use these throttle bodies to simulate a carb use the drive my wire solution. For this reason, I needed to make my own bracket to hold the throttle cable. It turn out very clean. And get this.......it works great!!

So I fired the motor again with a throttle cable which allowed me to rev on it. I was blown away at how bad ass this motor and exhaust sounds. I laughed that I screwed up and build a race truck..ha ha. I will post a video on my IG page (Greenfield_speedshop) later this week. Even my 16 yr old son ran out to the garage for a closer look. That can attest to how good its sounds to get a 16yr old to react that fast. ha ha

This was the first time I sat in the seat in the Suburban. The seat is so comfortable. Looking forward to some quality seat time this summer.

I also installed my driveshaft that I had shortened and picked up Friday.

Thanks
Marc

8man 04-26-2021 09:55 AM

Very nice.

Tempest67 04-26-2021 09:56 AM

wow this looks so good.... love the seat, looks comfy.

Denee007 04-26-2021 10:00 AM

That is incredible!!! ;)
dne'

youngrodder 04-26-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8913545)
Very nice.

Thanks man

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8913546)
wow this looks so good.... love the seat, looks comfy.

I joke that the seats are more comfortable than how nice they look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 8913548)
That is incredible!!! ;)
dne'

Thank you..much appreciated.

Marc

6DoF 04-26-2021 10:33 AM

that seat is so pretty, whole inside is looking amazing

youngrodder 04-27-2021 07:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Further assembly of the front end. Trying to take my time and hide as many wires and stuff as possible. I like how hidden the AC lines are. Next is to finish wiring the front end (lights, AC and fans).

I'm also chasing down a pesky fuel leak at one of my fittings by the tank on the supply side. I finally took the fitting off and retightened. I hope that solved it.

Thank you
Marc

6DoF 04-27-2021 08:32 AM

i hope my engine bay looks half as clean as that, super nice.

youngrodder 04-27-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8913970)
i hope my engine bay looks half as clean as that, super nice.

Thanks, I always try to apply the less is more approach and hide all of the unsightly crap. It takes way longer but you are left with a cleaner end product.

The vison I have had in my head for years is slowing coming into focus....

Marc

lower50's 04-27-2021 06:36 PM

It's a great feeling when your vision comes together as you where planning.
Great job!!

youngrodder 05-06-2021 07:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
As I get closer to thinking about that first drive I have been busy getting this thing legal. I recently put insurance on it. I go today to order plates. Getting a appointment at ANY MI SOS is a choir in itself.

I installed my rear bumper with the aid of my son. I had my factory bumper brackets powder coated quite a while back with the satin black wrinkle finish.

We had to mount the bumper, get a placement for the hitch receiver hole. Unmount the bumper and then cut up said the new bumper. Then remount to check the hole placement....Spot on. I had done this process once before with a junk bumper so I had a general idea. The hitch receiver provied 2 functions. 1 - a lace to mount my plate. 2- Covers the hole in the bumper for the hidden hitch.

After that I gave the bumper a brushed finish (not pictured). I need to remount the finished bumper.

Marc