The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Coupeguy2001 06-23-2013 01:35 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Drove it to the local Saturday night car show and put it in the show. Determined that my toe was out, so tomorrow, I will fix that. Met another Corvette guy, and we talked fuel injection for hours.

dubie 06-23-2013 10:54 AM

Hmmm try this link maybe?
http://youtu.be/G6nquIo_GFs
Posted via Mobile Device

fabguy 06-23-2013 08:47 PM

Today I was allowed to go to the shop to work on my truck, my 10yr old daughter told my wife that WE need to get the truck done because we will miss car shows if we don't have it finished soon. She washed away all the over splatter from the buffing and polishing compounds. She cleaned 90% of the truck, meanwhile I finished the light switch and Ign switch wiring as well as starting gluing down the carpet and cutting holes for brake pedal etc. Then we went to lunch and Barnes & Noble cause she wanted a custom classic truck magazine.... ;) a great kid I tell you.

buggy5872 06-23-2013 10:31 PM

Put my fresh heavy duty built tranny in Big Bertha......it works great just my wallet is complaining

Dan in Pasadena 06-23-2013 10:52 PM

fabguy, I think your daughter is a keeper!:lol:

You guys that rewire a truck in an hour and rebuild an engine in an afternoon kinda piss me off! :devil:;)

I had bigger plans but all I got done was to wash mine, razor some overspray off the window, and went to OSH for a couple bed bolts - since I've been driving mine for 1-1/2 years with only vice grips holding the bed on!

I also did a trial spray of my lower interior door with spray undercoating to kinda camouflage the less-than-I'd-hoped-for fit up of my speaker hole repairs. Jury is out on whether I'll leave it.

fabguy 06-24-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6139144)
fabguy, I think your daughter is a keeper!:lol:

You guys that rewire a truck in an hour and rebuild an engine in an afternoon kinda piss me off! :devil:;)

I had bigger plans but all I got done was to wash mine, razor some overspray off the window, and went to OSH for a couple bed bolts - since I've been driving mine for 1-1/2 years with only vice grips holding the bed on!

I also did a trial spray of my lower interior door with spray undercoating to kinda camouflage the less-than-I'd-hoped-for fit up of my speaker hole repairs. Jury is out on whether I'll leave it.

Yes she is, I hope that by the time I get done with the suburban, she will be able to do a complete tear down and rebuild of a TF truck on her own.
Actually landing the wires took me about 2 hrs. Routing, soldering, shrink tubing, strapping, and installing it almost hidden took well over 24 hrs. I still have to wire the speedometer and the torque conv lock out thing. Hopefully going to fabricate my battery box today.
Posted via Mobile Device

mknittle 06-24-2013 10:04 AM

Yesterday I bought a bag full of cheap bolts to mock up the front sheet metal.
I can't get stainless bolts here by the pound so I will use the $2.50 a pound grade 2 for mock up.

handyhands 06-24-2013 07:47 PM

I've also been doing the mockup, 53/s10 cab height and front sheet metal,rad support. Everything lined up pretty good once I raised the front. Front cab mounts are clamped in place. Still need to make the rear mounts. My welding is getting better. Also been working on the guages, trying to use the s10 guages. Need to take more pictures.

OrrieG 06-25-2013 12:18 AM

Nutin, got roped into carb work on the other "new" car...

mknittle 06-25-2013 10:10 AM

Nothing. it's raining and my frame outside is under a tarp.:waah:

Dan in Pasadena 06-25-2013 10:56 AM

Slacker! Lol. That's what EZ-Ups are for!
Posted via Mobile Device

mknittle 06-25-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6141632)
Slacker! Lol. That's what EZ-Ups are for!
Posted via Mobile Device

:lol: I have a cheapie one that I am thinking about using for a temporary paint booth when the time comes.

Dan in Pasadena 06-25-2013 01:32 PM

"Cheapie" works!
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnny49 06-25-2013 04:03 PM

Got the frame cleaned up for the welding fix:
http://youtu.be/eZEyo1gbAQs

Which will be done by someone who actually knows what they're doing with a welder :lol: ...

Nordic 06-25-2013 04:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Made cup holders, Simple ones that go in where the radio knobs would be.

Daze57 06-25-2013 05:05 PM

V V cool

Dan in Pasadena 06-25-2013 06:30 PM

I JUST left The Truck Shop in Orange. Scored a turn signal bucket & lever ands pair of armrests.
Posted via Mobile Device

fabguy 06-25-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6142215)
I JUST left The Truck Shop in Orange. Scored a turn signal bucket & lever ands pair of armrests.
Posted via Mobile Device

no heads up DAN!! really Dan, I would have gone down there with you today.

Dan in Pasadena 06-26-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabguy (Post 6142564)
no heads up DAN!! really Dan, I would have gone down there with you today.

Ha ha, I'm over in that area every other week when I visit my mother in Placentia and take her to Walmart (ugh!)

I wasn't even planning to go there today but I got out of a meeting early and you DON'T tell an 89 year old woman you're coming earlier than usual....or later for that matter!:lol:

YahamaR1 06-26-2013 04:35 AM

Today I ordered new sheetmetal for the Cab,
New floors, kickerpanels ,doorposts ,and some other stuff..
Takes a few weeks to get it in the Netherlands..
I wish I was living in the US.:lol:
When the truck is finisht, I could have 2 for that money....
Posted via Mobile Device

av8tr33337 06-28-2013 10:49 PM

I started replacing my lower control arm bushings. I hope to finish The lowers and uppers tomorrow, Then replace my ball joints. (doing an s10 chassis swap on my 51 AD 3100) I'm going to try to get all my front suspension done, painted and reassemble by the end of Forth of July weekend. Want to get this this back on the ground

Mocked up
http://mob668.photobucket.com/albums...g?t=1284604151

Chassis minus suspension 2 coats of epoxy primer and 2 coats of chassis black
http://mob668.photobucket.com/albums...g?t=1288569859

http://mob668.photobucket.com/albums...g?t=1288568293

youngrodder 06-28-2013 11:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got some stripes layed down on my truck.

Marc

av8tr33337 06-28-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 6147770)
Got some stripes layed down on my truck.

Marc

Mad skills dude. You are truely talented!

mknittle 06-28-2013 11:28 PM

Looks really good Marc!

youngrodder 06-28-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by av8tr33337 (Post 6147779)
Mad skills dude. You are truely talented!

Just to be clear. I was not the artist just the paying customer...

Marc

apacheben 06-29-2013 12:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice work. talented person.
I lowered my truck by removing the 6 inch blocks it had.
also bought new tires and rims. looks a lot better I think.
need to start working on the bed.

Dan in Pasadena 06-29-2013 02:58 AM

Young rodder, That truck just gets more and more (rythmes with) witchin' every time I see it.

Ben, good work man. Looks better already. Every little bit makes a difference. I know cause I'm a loong way from where I started and an even longer way from where I'm headed with mine!
Posted via Mobile Device

lowdownstar 06-29-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 6147821)
Just to be clear. I was not the artist just the paying customer...

Marc

money well spent my friend they look great! truck is killer Marc

Ray

arturo7 06-29-2013 10:48 AM

The pinners look great, yr!

Daze57 06-29-2013 02:20 PM

pinstripeing looks great !!!!

Coupeguy2001 06-29-2013 03:33 PM

Went to change inner tie rod ends. I found some at Speedway that has the grease zerc poking out the end instead of in the middle. Got it all together, and couldn't get enough toe in, disassembled the left side again and cut a half inch off the end so I could screw it in the adjuster some more.
Adjusted Toe.
Then I am addressing the clutch chatter. The rear end seems to bounce.
I had some Rancho shocks I was trying to sell, so I put them on the rear. It got rid of half of the shimmy.
Then I had to come in and check to see if anybody had responded to my H.A.M.B. ad, and some guy in New Zealand wanted the grille! New Zealand! Geez, you would think that GM sold enough of these trucks world wide, that other people in other countries could find parts, but I guess not.
Wonder what the postage will be? That grille is not light.
Anyway, I took the truck out for a spin after I cooled down, and it handles a lot better.
Yesterday, the temp readout in my car was at 124 degrees. That is blasted hot.

pvienneau 06-29-2013 05:45 PM

Found a good original set of 49 4 leaf springs and cleaned and got covered with dirt. Next time I will just buy new ones. Used flap discs on a grinder and a bench grinder for edges. The plan is to Dry Moly between each leaf, put them together, prime with por 15 and paint.

av8tr33337 06-29-2013 07:09 PM

I got all my upper and lower control arm bushings replaced. Started on the ball joints and SON OF A B&$#@ if somebody didn't weld one of the bottom ones in. I couldn't see the weld because the boot was hiding it so I beat the hell out of it before the boot fell off and I saw the problem. I don't think there is any way to salvage the lower control arm. It's not beat up or anything, I kust don't think you can grind off the weld, knock out the balljoint and put another one in. I guess they are probably fairly cheap at the pick your part. Got the rest of them all shined up and ready for primer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym5g5...ature=youtu.be

mknittle 06-29-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6147994)
Young rodder, That truck just gets more and more (rythmes with) witchin' every time I see it.

Ben, good work man. Looks better already. Every little bit makes a difference. I know cause I'm a loong way from where I started and an even longer way from where I'm headed with mine!
Posted via Mobile Device

Better be careful saying that in public. I was heard saying that at a car show and somebody said that I had dated myself. When I looked through the drivers window of a dodge hump back there was a guy about 60 looking at me smiling.:lol:

sqrlnts 06-29-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by av8tr33337 (Post 6148861)
I kust don't think you can grind off the weld, knock out the balljoint and put another one in. [/URL]

I wouldn't be afraid to try it. If you have a torch and a hydraulic press you could probably get it to pop free. Are these tapered or straight ball joints?

mechanixman 06-29-2013 11:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I pulled the cowl panel off

lowdownstar 06-30-2013 04:12 PM

nice work Nick

mknittle 06-30-2013 09:54 PM

I ordered a inexpensive primer gun to shoot some thicker materials.
Other than that it is too hot to do much outside :devil: It was 115 in the shade :devil: and the rest of the week is forecast to be about the same :devil:

mechanixman 06-30-2013 10:07 PM

Thanks Lowdown
Mknittle, would it be from harbor freight? :)
4th july, their selling their guns for $10 a pop

TrixR4Kids 06-30-2013 10:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The bearing were going out with the old pump, new aluminum high flo pump sure made the tired driven daily engine compartment look nice again.