The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

beanyard 12-02-2012 02:10 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 5733335)
now that is cool for his first ride home!!!! congrats

Ray

Thanks, after having all girls with a truck hobby almost always on the mind it really will be fun to have a little boy to help with the truck. The girls call the truck "Ed" so we will have to see if my new co-mechanic will agree with the name.
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell Ashley 12-04-2012 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fixed my gas gauge. The float had a crack in it and had filled up with gas.

Johnnyramirez 12-05-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbed51 (Post 4919283)
Ok, the 60-66, 67-72, 73-87, and 88-98 guys have a thread called "What Did You Do To Your Truck Today". Well I say it is time the 47-59 forum has a similar thread, so I decided to start one. Anybody want to join in ?

I am trying to change its headlights as well as bumper lights. Looking to purchase new ones. Any suggestions?

Speedbumpauto 12-05-2012 11:43 AM

I have a 55 2nd and just used a Vintique kit + some modifications to convert my old headlights to quartz Halogen bulbs(new car style) if you're interested. I have pics.

Daze57 12-05-2012 11:51 AM

if you could post those pics that would be great ^

Speedbumpauto 12-05-2012 01:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It's reasonably simple and there are probably other ways to do it but here's what I did with a goal of being able to change the bulb without pulling the front off because that has the real possibility of changing the headlight adjustment which I didn't want. Cut the back off of the headlight bucket for access.(pic 1) Hole in seal beam holder/adjuster has to be ground out or cut out to 3 1/2" so H bulb fixture and grommet will fit through (pic 2) What modified assembly looks like (pic 3) Addition of a 4x4 CV boot for weather protection (pic 4) What the installed assy looks like (pic 5) The only difference is the lens is flat, not slightly curved like the old seal beam and I haven't trimmed the end of the CV boot yet and won't until I do the wiring loom. some may consider the boot overkill since the bulb is sealed from weather by it's own grommet but I wanted something since the assembly mounts in the fender.

Daze57 12-05-2012 02:21 PM

very very cool work - may have to borrow that idea - how much did you measure to cut off in pict 1 and what make model c v boot is that from?

arturo7 12-05-2012 04:39 PM

Working behind the scenes. I picked up an engine hoist and engine stand from our buddy Craig.

cheapoheapo 12-05-2012 05:16 PM

loaded my bride in my newly reborn 59 stepside my bampy bought new took her to lunch at a historic route 66 diner for lunch ps got in trouble for driving wild and throwing her around life is good

Speedbumpauto 12-05-2012 05:22 PM

I cut the as close as I could to the bucket flange and still let my cutoff wheel get a straight cut, then smoothed it up on a 12" disc, so there is no specific measurment. The boot fits very snug and only needs about an inch to fit tight. The boot is from late model 4x4 Chevys and Fords that use the independent front end and it's an outer boot. Neapco makes a replacement that is softer and more flexible than the hard ones the factory uses. Works good and no need for a clamp.

Daze57 12-05-2012 11:01 PM

speedbumpauto

thank you v v much !!!

Johnnyramirez 12-06-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto (Post 5741164)
I have a 55 2nd and just used a Vintique kit + some modifications to convert my old nice led lights headlights to quartz Halogen bulbs(new car style) if you're interested. I have pics.

Ya sure why not share some pics .

youngrodder 12-06-2012 10:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Continued working on my interior... At some point when we get warmer weather I will start the process of fiberglassing the boxes and covering the center console with carpet and material. The boxes will hold 2 6.5" speakers as well as a 10" sub.

Marc

mknittle 12-06-2012 11:21 AM

Youngrodder, looks great! the top looks like aluminum are you going to polish it?

youngrodder 12-06-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5743146)
Youngrodder, looks great! the top looks like aluminum are you going to polish it?

Thanks Mknittle

As for the top it is aluminum. I chose that because I could easily bend it to follow the contour of the console. I plan to cover in in foam then wrap it in material. I have few ideas on finsishing details to pull it all together...that's the plan anyway..

Marc

Daze57 12-06-2012 01:29 PM

youngrodder

lookin very very nice - cant wait to see ot all finished !

youngrodder 12-06-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 5743365)
youngrodder

lookin very very nice - cant wait to see ot all finished !

You and me both. I think that I'm more excited about having tunes in my truck. A person can only listen to the hummmm of the V-8 for so long.

Thakns
Marc

crossfire84 12-06-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 5743646)
A person can only listen to the hummmm of the V-8 for so long.

Thakns
Marc

oh i dont know about that! LOL

Daze57 12-06-2012 08:34 PM

youngrodder

ya wanna really have some fun? make your first tunes in the garage the brady bunch -see how many ppl ya can get mad then change it to something a bit lighter like ....................................uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh opeth or 6ft under or ac/dc Rosie

lol

Chevette 12-06-2012 08:39 PM

Nice! Maybe even WOW! Ya.....for sure. ;)

Dan in Pasadena 12-06-2012 09:48 PM

Marc,
Looks great...but all the stuff you do comes out nice. What is holding those behind-the-seats pieces in place? Will they have a "face" on the front? If they do will there be access to the interior for storage, or inthose cornered pieces either?

arturo7 12-06-2012 09:57 PM

Brought home the motor and axles. Put the new hoist to work!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...edium/haul.JPG

youngrodder 12-06-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5744283)
Marc,
Looks great...but all the stuff you do comes out nice. What is holding those behind-the-seats pieces in place? Will they have a "face" on the front? If they do will there be access to the interior for storage, or inthose cornered pieces either?

Dan-

The pieces will be pressed into place. The way the cab sides fit there is not much movement. The face of the boxes will be constructed out of fiberglass. I will then wrap the console and boxes in the same material as the rest of my interior. Once wrapped this will all fit together and all of pieces will hold each other in place. I have not come up with a solution for an access door yet but I would like to use the back area as well as the console for storage.

Marc

Dan in Pasadena 12-07-2012 12:17 AM

Sounds great. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

beanyard 12-07-2012 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The rain stopped and I took my week old son on his first truck ride.
Posted via Mobile Device