The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Not Another Rebuild Thread.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487100)

Bomp 04-02-2014 07:44 AM

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Like this one way better Murph.
May take a time or two (me its usually 3-7 times) but in the end its something to be proud of.

Diggin it

Grizz1963 04-02-2014 08:33 AM

:metal:

Got to do a Ta2Don for this one.

Pizza box engineering. Making so many projects come out right.

Well done.

piratexpress1369a 04-02-2014 10:26 PM

dam that pizza place must love you lol

Ta2Don 04-02-2014 11:09 PM

Pizza Box Engineering...:bann:

Full Belly = Better Brain Power...:uhmk:

McMurphy 04-02-2014 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6607623)
Very Nice Murph!!!

Thanks Modges, I was thinking of you today as I flipped that rear ANTI-sway bar. Thanks again for pointing that out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6607653)
Like this one way better Murph.
May take a time or two (me its usually 3-7 times) but in the end its something to be proud of.

Diggin it

I try to keep the re-dos under 3.... by then I should know what I am doing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 6607689)
:metal:

Got to do a Ta2Don for this one.

Pizza box engineering. Making so many projects come out right.

Well done.

"Pizza Box Engineering" I can see this becoming board community vocabulary !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 6609027)
dam that pizza place must love you lol

It is a mutual love triangle... they love me, I love them, and I love pizza !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6609128)
Pizza Box Engineering...:bann:

Full Belly = Better Brain Power...:uhmk:

Probably something to that Don.....

******************************************************************************************

Just a quick update on the hood latch pattern/template.
In my fiddling with it I noticed it tended to rub a bit on the base plate, so today I modified it with a 1/4" cut which you will see in the photo below. It angles in from the mounting bases and on the pizza box cuts out the numbering for the overall lenght of the template.

I also welded in a MUCH thicker plate on the plunger-latch rod end in an attempt to keep this from warping. I wish I had made it of some thicker sheet metal, but I did the best with what I had around.
Attachment 1236560

Anyways today was a good day, chased down a turn signal ghost, flipped the rear ANTI-sway bar, mocked up my front bumper for consideration, and started laying bed frame cross members, taking note of what I need to get from the hardware store tomorrow.

Hope you all had a great mid week as well :metal:

McMurphy 04-13-2014 02:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
As you guys may have guessed I have been busy plugging away on my build, just not a lot of things to really share.
Chased down that turn signal gremlin that turned out to be the brass contacts in the actuator switch in the column.
Fixed a fuel supply issue that was keeping me from running the engine for more than a few seconds.
Figured out, and wired up my tail light needs for when I get to that point so it will be all done. With my intended use of the Caddilac lights, I determined that I would need a relay wired in for the back up lights to work since they do not activate off the ground switch off the transmission.
Front fenders are hung now too, with the splash guards in to protect the head light assemblies.
I also got my fuel fill and fuel door figured out to the point where I can do final assembly on it when I get all the surrounding bed concepts worked through.

After all that it was time to address the bed.
The nice thing about having multiple items to work on to get a section done, is that there is a part or panel to work on as paint or bondo are setting up on another piece. I like this as it exersizes my multi-tasking skills and I dont hit any brick walls because I absolutely need the part I am working on in order to progress.

On the list is to shave my stake pockets, cap the bed rail ends, minor side board patching, and shave the rear signal mounts in the fenders.
On the custom end, I am going to add an extension to the steps, totally customize my tail gate (teaser on that one), and fab up a roll pan to mount my tail lights into.

So far:
Attachment 1241449
Attachment 1241450

I made a Dolly for this, and wish I had made it sooner for other places, but this is my hole after a little hammer and dolly work:
Attachment 1241451

Now the patch:
Attachment 1241452

I will have more pics later, I left the camera down in the garage last night, so more to follow guys !! :metal:

Ta2Don 04-13-2014 02:50 PM

Updates...:bann::bann::bann:

clemdaddy 04-13-2014 03:22 PM

wow... you're making some great headway. dreaming up ideas and solving problems as you go. thataboy murph!

piratexpress1369a 04-14-2014 10:27 AM

ah that is a teaser on the tailgate lol..where are the caddy lights going to mount

McMurphy 04-14-2014 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, but I have to re-do those fender patches; I really goofed them up. I was trying to cut conservatively, but now realize I need to whack out a much larger space for them to look right.... more to follow on that mess.

Pirate this is how I have them mocked up at this time:
Attachment 1241998

I am contemplating some pretty special plans for them. When it is all said and done, they should be fairly slick.

McMurphy 04-14-2014 02:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
At my fave junk yard there is a 60-64 GMC long step, big back window that had the cab trim. Not sure if I am going to use it, but I pulled the trim pieces anyways, even though of the 4 pieces, one of them was pretty munched.

I brought them home, and in a fit of indulgence, I worked with the munched drivers side piece. Although it is far from perfect, I dont think I would be too ashamed to mount it up and run with it until I could find a replacement!

Here it is BEFORE:
Attachment 1242018Attachment 1242019

And AFTER:
Attachment 1242023Attachment 1242024

For these photo purposes, I did not do anything to the p-side trim. If I had just a tad more patience, and better polishing equipment, I think I could make that mangled one look even better.

1963c-10 04-14-2014 02:49 PM

Nice job....waiting to watch the taillight mods.

markeb01 04-14-2014 11:49 PM

Nice improvement. It's tedious working with straightening and polishing stainless, but the results can be a great reward.

Low Elco 04-15-2014 08:24 AM

Good Progress!

jlsanborn 04-15-2014 06:39 PM

Glad to see you busy on the truck Murph! Trim is always cool :metal:

Ta2Don 04-15-2014 08:25 PM

Taillight Mock-up...:metal:

The trim is looking good, patience Grasshopper!!!:bann:

Great Work Murph!!!:metal::metal::metal:

Grizz1963 04-16-2014 12:30 AM

Looking at the price of a full set of trim pieces for my Short Fleetside landed here in the UK vs your results so far, I am wondering if repairing or having mine repaired, as every piece is damaged, does not make some sense, especially if I could find an old skool craftsman to involve.

I have been looking to find you a set of old London Taxi Cab rear lights like I have on the teardrop trailer for months now, just to mess with your head but have not been successful ( yet )

McMurphy 04-19-2014 01:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6628533)
Nice job....waiting to watch the taillight mods.

Well then this post is for you bud, see below !! Probably not what you are looking for just yet, but there are about 5-8 related parts or sections that are coming into play for this mod, so please be patient. In the end, just like my grille, it should all make sense.... or it will be an epic fail. We will see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6629300)
Nice improvement. It's tedious working with straightening and polishing stainless, but the results can be a great reward.

It can be, I agree, but it is nice to just focus on one thing for a bit and let your brain forget about all other cares in the world for the while you are working it. That was me with this trim.... still not sure I am even going to use it yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6629529)
Good Progress!

Thanks Low, I sure do like looking at your build too sir !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6630370)
Glad to see you busy on the truck Murph! Trim is always cool :metal:

Thank you, like I just told Mark, not even sure I am going to use it, but it is there, lurking in the back of my mind....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6630582)
Taillight Mock-up...:metal:

The trim is looking good, patience Grasshopper!!!:bann:

Great Work Murph!!!:metal::metal::metal:

Thanks Don, you are the epitome of what I would call a "Fan Base" !! I sure do appreciate all the support and encouragement you offer up man !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 6631096)
Looking at the price of a full set of trim pieces for my Short Fleetside landed here in the UK vs your results so far, I am wondering if repairing or having mine repaired, as every piece is damaged, does not make some sense, especially if I could find an old skool craftsman to involve.

I have been looking to find you a set of old London Taxi Cab rear lights like I have on the teardrop trailer for months now, just to mess with your head but have not been successful ( yet )

I revisited photos of your trailer to better identify what you are talking about and those tail lights are pretty cool looking.

*******************************************************************************************

Ok kids, here we go...
Like I said previously, I was not happy at all with the initial shave job I did on those rear tail light spots on my fenders. So, back at it went I...

They look pretty rough here, but we ran out of our spool of .30 wire which I was REALLY starting to like better than the smaller .23. For me I was laying better welds with lower heat with the bigger wire, and it seemed to be less time consuming to weld stuff, so this chore got to be tedious very quickly; aside from the fact that it was a re-do...
Attachment 1243847

I had to go with much bigger patch panels than I originally anticipated to take as much of the factory contours out of play as possible, which I discovered were more than what initially meets the eye...
Attachment 1243848

I also used more bondo on this than I have any other mod or project I have done. Not so much to asuage my disappointment, but to get as close to a professional looking job as possible, without spending a week on this one project. I think they turned out pretty good:
Attachment 1243850

As smooth as a baby's butt:
Attachment 1243851

Here is what I finally settled with, though props to Alan and all you other pro-body working guys for the info and guidance you provide !! I am certain however that my amature status is in no danger of being upgraded any time soon LoL !!!
Attachment 1243852

Thanks for looking dudes !!

McMurphy 04-19-2014 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I do like to provide never before seen images and concepts, so here we go again.
How about an exploded view of a step side tail gate?

TaaDaa:
Attachment 1243861

This one is for all you guys that are itching over what my tail gate mod is going, or maybe, going to be...
As stated in my post above, this is one of the 5-8 parts or sections that are coming into play for my tail light mods... I know that is so ambigous to tell you all, but like the grille, it will all make sense in the end.

Well, maybe a certain amount of McMurphy sense, is a better way to turn that phrase.... :metal:

Enjoy !!

likaroc13 04-19-2014 02:44 PM

Nice job on the fender patches Murph. Look forward to seeing your idea come to life for the Caddy taillights & tailgate!

markeb01 04-19-2014 06:31 PM

I agree. To the unknowing, those look like non-back up light factory fenders. Nice work!

CRGRS 66 04-19-2014 11:39 PM

Nice work on the fenders bud, looking forward to seeing what you have in store for the tail gate!

Ta2Don 04-20-2014 12:32 AM

Thanks for the compliment, "Epitome" of your fan base… Not really sure if I deserve that one… there are more than a few members here that look in on you as much or more than I do… but I'll remain humble as I say thanks...:mm:

Well played on the Fenders...:metal: and I know what you mean about those factory contours...:eek: My tail-light buckets will be on the finished list this weekend,,,:uhmk:

I have a long day planned for tomorrow, and if all goes well, plenty of updates finally!!!

…and I must admit, the tailgate mods truly have me guessing...:crazy:

GREAT Work!!! :metal:

piratexpress1369a 04-20-2014 12:26 PM

well as i see it , red led lights in the letters ..just my 2 cents

McMurphy 04-20-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6636298)
Nice job on the fender patches Murph. Look forward to seeing your idea come to life for the Caddy taillights & tailgate!

Thanks man, stay tuned... there are a few things that have to come together as this advances.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6636544)
I agree. To the unknowing, those look like non-back up light factory fenders. Nice work!

Thank you Mark, I keep adding to the list of things I want to go back and either re-do or touch up when I do the 10 year resto on this rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 6636984)
Nice work on the fenders bud, looking forward to seeing what you have in store for the tail gate!

Thanks for stopping by!! Seems with your build, camping and the impending move, you have a plate full !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6637055)
Thanks for the compliment, "Epitome" of your fan base… Not really sure if I deserve that one… there are more than a few members here that look in on you as much or more than I do… but I'll remain humble as I say thanks...:mm:

Well played on the Fenders...:metal: and I know what you mean about those factory contours...:eek: My tail-light buckets will be on the finished list this weekend,,,:uhmk:

I have a long day planned for tomorrow, and if all goes well, plenty of updates finally!!!

…and I must admit, the tailgate mods truly have me guessing...:crazy:

GREAT Work!!! :metal:

Oh no no no sir, I did not mean to imply that you were simply "my" fan base.... I see you all over the builds on this board, and you never hesitate to offer up encouragement or inspiration to tons of others as well!! You may possibly be the friendliest fellow on the site !! And that is NOT a bad thing at all, you sure keep me motivated :metal: But I think I hear your truck calling your name, you may want to get out there on it, should be time for an update from you !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 6637585)
well as i see it , red led lights in the letters ..just my 2 cents

Ahhhhhh Pirate, you know me too well !! Not sure I want to go see a movie with you though, you may figure it out faster than I would !! (though honestly, back in December you caught on real quick as I recall) :metal:

Going to whip up some stuffed crepes for the wife, then down to the garage go I.... see you all laters !! :metal: