The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

mknittle 06-30-2013 10:46 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 6150672)
Thanks Lowdown
Mknittle, would it be from harbor freight? :)
4th july, their selling their guns for $10 a pop

No this one is from Jegs. the tip on the one from jags is 1.8mm so I can use it for Rust bullet. I have the harbor freight one incase there is something I don't want in my good guns. The Harbor freight one has a 1.4mm tip.
At $10 bucks I figure buy a couple and if I screw them up ................

http://www.jegs.com/i/Titan/413/19418/10002/-1

Zach B 07-01-2013 12:33 AM

I didn't do anything with the truck today. I mowed around the barn so I could modify it so I could fit my truck in it. In the process of doing this I found a 6 cylinder head buried partially in the ground. Who knows how long it been there but I would not trust it. Sending that in for scrap so I can have some money for my truck. That primarily where all the money for my truck comes from. Doing little jobs and fining old mettal can get you a long ways if your carful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Denee007 07-01-2013 09:40 AM

That is a nice looking pump! I wish I had gone with that pump~ I'm amazed how much a stock water pump weighs!

I've been entertaining my grandaughter the past couple days. Still waiting on parts for my wood bed install~ hurry up and wait kind of thing! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrixR4Kids (Post 6150701)
The bearing were going out with the old pump, new aluminum high flo pump sure made the tired driven daily engine compartment look nice again.

Denee007 07-01-2013 09:47 AM

Wow, youngrodders pinstriping is totally awesome! I don't think I could watch someone do that on my truck in fear they say "oops" ;) That may be a neat alternative for my truck other than put on the spears and front emblem.
what do ya'll think~ would pinstriping look good on my truck?
dne'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psdbac28f8.jpg

Highsider 07-01-2013 09:51 AM

Oh, yeah, Denee!

fabguy 07-01-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 6151249)
Wow, youngrodders pinstriping is totally awesome! I don't think I could watch someone do that on my truck in fear they say "oops" ;) That may be a neat alternative for my truck other than put on the spears and front emblem.
dne'

Denee, I am leaving my spears and hood emblem off. I have thought about having some pin striping put on also but am not to sure yet. If I did, I would want it very suttle.

youngrodder 07-01-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

dne'

Denee-

I think PS would look great.The key is finding the right person that fits your style/truck. There was no fear. This stuff wipes right off it there is a mistake. It is even easy to remove years later if you grow tired of it. At that point your only out the $$..

I say go for it.

Thanks
Marc

Daze57 07-01-2013 11:27 AM

''would pinstriping look good on my truck? ''

cain't hurt!

mknittle 07-01-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

dne'

Yes pinstriping would look good. you just need to pick some colors that contrast nicely to your paint color.
And the "oops" is easily fixed. I have seen stripers remove 30minutes work Just because they got a better idea. True artists can be a bit quirky. but that is a good thing:metal:

Dan in Pasadena 07-01-2013 12:29 PM

Since you have no side emblems I'd not put the spears or hood ornament back on. Pinstriping is as good as the striper you choose. Speaking strictly for myself, "less is more". I'd be subtle in my use of it too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Denee007 07-01-2013 05:25 PM

Hi Dan! The holes are there for spears n front 'thing' for the hood, however the holes aren't very noticeable. So I agree less would be more~ subtle is what I would be looking for~ simple. I'm sure there are some pinstripping folks here in Houston~ I'll check into that when the time comes,
Now, if those darned parts would just arrive so I can get back to the wood bed installation!;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6151534)
Since you have no side emblems I'd not put the spears or hood ornament back on. Pinstriping is as good as the striper you choose. Speaking strictly for myself, "less is more". I'd be subtle in my use of it too.
Posted via Mobile Device

mknittle 07-01-2013 06:21 PM

I did very little outside today 115 degrees again.

mechanixman 07-01-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6152155)

Man that sucks, it's 74 here.
I cut the passenger side floor out

Denee007 07-01-2013 06:45 PM

Wow, 115 degrees! It's only 90 here today~ a cold front came in!;) However, with Houston Gulf coast humidity? feels like a muggy 120!:(

Daze57 07-01-2013 07:18 PM

112 degrees here now - whew its gettin colder !!!

lowdownstar 07-01-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6152155)

we don't have the heat but it's been raining now for two weeks every after noon!!!!! i have not been able to drive my truck at all, and she is ready to go! lol

Ray

arturo7 07-01-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

dne'

I'd rather see some creative pins than the spears. If you leave them off you allow the striper more possibilities.

Dan in Pasadena 07-01-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 6152057)
Hi Dan! The holes are there for spears n front 'thing' for the hood, however the holes aren't very noticeable.

That's different then, to me. If the holes are there I'd install the emblems and maybe still do the pin striping, just be careful not to overdo it.

Denee007 07-01-2013 10:34 PM

Well, to be honest, and I am terribly honest, I think my truck who hath no name, looks sharp without the emblems?:metal: yes, the holes are there, but they aren't very visible. I wish someone made some stick on side emblems~hm~ oh, I would be very conservative on pin stripping~ We'll discuss this when the day comes.
dne'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psbe82dfd7.jpg

mknittle 07-01-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 6152168)
Man that sucks, it's 74 here.
I cut the passenger side floor out

sounds like you are gaining on it.:metal:

mknittle 07-01-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 6152265)
we don't have the heat but it's been raining now for two weeks every after noon!!!!! i have not been able to drive my truck at all, and she is ready to go! lol

Ray

That is worse!:sumo:

fabguy 07-01-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 6152645)
Well, to be honest, and I am terribly honest, I think my truck who hath no name, looks sharp without the emblems?:metal: yes, the holes are there, but they aren't very visible. I wish someone made some stick on side emblems~hm~ oh, I would be very conservative on pin stripping~ We'll discuss this when the day comes.
dne'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psbe82dfd7.jpg

Are you looking for a set of spears and hood emblem?
Posted via Mobile Device

Denee007 07-01-2013 11:46 PM

Hi, I have 2 sets of spears and 2 hood emblems. They're in fair shape~ actually I haven't paid much attention to them. Seems like they didn't line up with the holes on my truck. I'll look at them again tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabguy (Post 6152755)
Are you looking for a set of spears and hood emblem?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 07-02-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 6152778)
...Seems like they didn't line up with the holes on my truck...

Is there a slight difference between the '58 and '59 model year emblems? I ask because there are between the '55.2 and '56 model years.

IF you put on the emblems may I suggest you get them re-chromed? The paint is too nice to install pecky, dull chrome.

fabguy 07-02-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6152836)
Is there a slight difference between the '58 and '59 model year emblems? I ask because there are between the '55.2 and '56 model years.

IF you put on the emblems may I suggest you get them re-chromed? The paint is too nice to install pecky, dull chrome.

Yes sir there is a difference ;)

I didn't rechrome the fleetside emblems as I wanted a lil something to look original or least close to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

crossfire84 07-02-2013 04:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I saw a member do this on his TF and it looked cool, so i moved my stock fuel filler neck to the rear of my AD fender today, all info and more pics in my build thread.

Zach B 07-03-2013 12:41 AM

I removed all the interior of my truck and am now preping everything for sand blasting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Denee007 07-03-2013 09:50 AM

That is a superb idea and well executed!:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossfire84 (Post 6153810)
I saw a member do this on his TF and it looked cool, so i moved my stock fuel filler neck to the rear of my AD fender today, all info and more pics in my build thread.

Denee007 07-03-2013 09:51 AM

uh, pictures? we need a before and after;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach B (Post 6154471)
I removed all the interior of my truck and am now preping everything for sand blasting.
Posted via Mobile Device

crossfire84 07-03-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 6154738)
That is a superb idea and well executed!:metal:

thanks.

lazerstrouts 07-03-2013 03:03 PM

i found a fulton visor last week in the trash. smoothed out most of the big dents and reshaped some Bends. Now if you run your hand across it it reads i have bad hail in brail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jyman 07-03-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazerstrouts (Post 6155192)
i found a fulton visor last week in the trash. smoothed out most of the big dents and reshaped some Bends. Now if you run your hand across it it reads i have bad hail in brail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, I want to know what trash you where digging through, can you point me in that direction. Nice find, just run it through a English wheel and it will change what that brail says.

Zach B 07-03-2013 11:21 PM

I found a bed for sale for my truck today as a reproduction but the side is pre drilled for only an extra $45
Posted via Mobile Device

pvienneau 07-05-2013 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brought the Oil Pan, Valve Cover, and Spark plug side to the car wash and cleaned all the gunk off. Then I hit em with the wire wheel and degreased them. Used a roll of paper towels with some marine clean 5 to 1. Hit them with Prep and ready and them primed and painted. I bough the paint from the filling station as a chevy engine grey but am not liking it. Could someone recommend where to purchase the chevy engine grey blue so I can finish in that color?

Tanks

Pat

Zach B 07-05-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvienneau (Post 6158155)
Brought the Oil Pan, Valve Cover, and Spark plug side to the car wash and cleaned all the gunk off. Then I hit em with the wire wheel and degreased them. Used a roll of paper towels with some marine clean 5 to 1. Hit them with Prep and ready and them primed and painted. I bough the paint from the filling station as a chevy engine grey but am not liking it. Could someone recommend where to purchase the chevy engine grey blue so I can finish in that color?

Tanks

Pat

Oldchevytrucks.com has it. Idk what the paint if the paint looks right but I do know the guy who runs that shop is about the most knowledgable person on those trucks out there so it is probably really close.
Posted via Mobile Device

av8tr33337 07-05-2013 05:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I finished installing all my control arm bushings and ball joints. I shined everything up with knotted wire cups, wiped it all down with lacquer thinner. Then I hung everything up and hit it with 2 coats of primer then 2 coats of black. Hope it's dry enough in the morning that I can get the front end back together.

I didn’t paint the spindles because I’m planning to do 2 inch drop spindles in the future. I just want to be able to role this thing out so I can get to work on the engine and tranny clean up and repaint.

This is only my second time painting. I'm using a Harbor Freight HVLP gun. I have to say that I have had good luck with this gun. Of course the undercarriage is a little less critical. But I have had no issues with runs or anything else. Good even coverage throughout.

Dan in Pasadena 07-05-2013 06:14 PM

What brand paint are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device

av8tr33337 07-05-2013 06:53 PM

I just used Rustoleum Professional this time around. I did the frame itself with epoxy primr and some chassis black, but money is tight right now so I went a little cheaper.

OrrieG 07-06-2013 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked on the gas door while grandson helped his Mom prep the Mustang intake manifold for paint. Chevelle was just in the way... Got a fancy fire resistant/leather welding jacket while at the welding store for some wire.

Dodger 07-06-2013 04:38 AM

Picked up the truck after having new king pins installed. Fitted a new brake pedal spring and stamped an engine number into the block. Weigh ticket and passenger mirror then hopefully licensed after my re inspection on Tuesday.
Posted via Mobile Device