The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

67C10Step 10-09-2021 10:54 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Jiggers,
Ha! Only about 50 years difference in those parts. That grill is off my son’s truck. He wanted the TRD PRO grill and now I have that one left over. Got it listed for sale as those new are about $300.

I saw where some folks were repairing with flexible CA glue so I’ll try that. All my traces are solid, just a few lifted from the plastic and a few edges delaminating at it.

Rich72C10 10-09-2021 03:32 PM

Got my 72 Rochester Quadrajet carb back from Cliff's High Performance. Straight on the the truck she started up and darn near sounded perfect! She needs a lot less idle screw than my '78 Carter Qjet, which I found interesting. I can't believe I wasted $450 dollars with Quadrajet Power and then all that time between Jan 2012 till June 2021. I highly recommend Cliff Ruggles, he is a dream to correspond with and he'll even call you up to chat if he has any questions (yes, call you on the phone).

After dropping my vacuum gauge into my radiator fan (doh!) and getting a new one, I got the idle mixture screws all dialed in. O'Riley's had one but darn thing is about -2 off zero out of the box. I used it and my timing light (its digital with RPM) to get it what I believe is correct. I should have just used the timing light / RPMs and not gotten that "new" vacuum gauge from O'Rileys.

Man, this carb rocks, not one blip anywhere on my test drives. When I nail the gas to WOT at the stop signs I get a better burn out too! Man, I wished I had a Posi 3.73 rearend, instead of my open 3.08 LOL

Sparky dave 10-09-2021 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I blocked off my oil cooler ports on my gen 6 454 without removing bypass valve which caused low oil pressure spin a rod bearing bent a valve wiped a can lobe and shattered piston and rings and destroyed my engine on first start up after6 weeks of work on engine conversion. I feel sick

Carl Spangler 10-09-2021 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky dave (Post 8982015)
I blocked off my oil cooler ports on my gen 6 454 without removing bypass valve which caused low oil pressure spin a rod bearing bent a valve wiped a can lobe and shattered piston and rings and destroyed my engine on first start up after6 weeks of work on engine conversion. I feel sick

This is probably worth a separate thread.............. with more info on what/why the motor got toasted.

zellway 10-11-2021 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggers72-GMC (Post 8981507)
Right on Erik, the grille looks real nice .....

Thanks. I have been putting this truck off for so long. Just about everything needs some work but little by little it’s getting better looking.

67C10Step 10-11-2021 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did get the instrument cluster re-done and back together over the weekend. Not back in the truck yet but ready to go.

By the way, if you have a delaminating printed circuit the rubber reinforced CA Gorilla Glue works really well.

1968 K20 10-11-2021 12:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Over the weekend was able to get the hood, cowl, front inner fenders and the bed undercoated/bed lined.

72c20customcamper 10-11-2021 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can’t wait to see it all together .

Made the truck work today moved around 2 pear an apple and plum tree to be planted. Had to go buy wire fencing to keep the deer away . They will kill them quickly. Damn things will eat the whole sapling down to the trunk .

pilotXC 10-12-2021 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not today, but on Saturday got tires swapped onto my re-painted stock wheels... Getting close to being where I want it. Few more interior details to go.

Chevys4life 10-13-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilotXC (Post 8983097)
Not today, but on Saturday got tires swapped onto my re-painted stock wheels... Getting close to being where I want it. Few more interior details to go.

Looking good!!!

Ol Blue K20 10-13-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 8983409)
Looking good!!!

X2! Nice truck.

30772 10-13-2021 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed this custom (my 81 year old artist Dad made it), hand-made Dash Plaque for a nice, unique, interior finishing touch....

Ol Blue K20 10-13-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30772 (Post 8983439)
Installed this custom (my 81 year old artist Dad made it), hand-made Dash Plaque for a nice, unique, interior finishing touch....

Looks nice. :metal:

zellway 10-14-2021 12:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
But more progress on my work truck. Was just going to do some basics to make it nicer but it’s starting to look like a nice truck.

67C10Step 10-14-2021 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
zellway,
Looking really good.

I put the refurbed instrument cluster back in and up against the new dash pad I like the way things are starting to look. My truck needs some rust repair but I know what will happen if I start to tackle much of it right now. I'll look and the whole thing will be in pieces again and it will be another two years before I drive it. I think I'll have everything I want to do complete by spring and can drive it a while and settle on a color. THEN, I won't feel bad about pulling it all apart again. But I will have the majority of frame/suspension/steering work already done. Be just bodywork and paint, which will be a big enough job.

zellway 10-14-2021 07:45 PM

That looks great. I kinda wish I had kept my dash more original looking like yours.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8983892)
zellway,
Looking really good.

I put the refurbed instrument cluster back in and up against the new dash pad I like the way things are starting to look. My truck needs some rust repair but I know what will happen if I start to tackle much of it right now. I'll look and the whole thing will be in pieces again and it will be another two years before I drive it. I think I'll have everything I want to do complete by spring and can drive it a while and settle on a color. THEN, I won't feel bad about pulling it all apart again. But I will have the majority of frame/suspension/steering work already done. Be just bodywork and paint, which will be a big enough job.

Boog 10-14-2021 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8983892)

Hey neighbor. You have been pretty busy on your truck and it's looking good. That bed wood is awesome!

Ol Blue K20 10-14-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8983995)
Hey neighbor. You have been pretty busy on your truck and it's looking good. That bed wood is awesome!

Hey Boog is back! I can quit worrying about ya!

Sparky dave 10-15-2021 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Spangler (Post 8982105)
This is probably worth a separate thread.............. with more info on what/why the motor got toasted.

I will do iv been in time out for a few days to get to terms with it. Thanks for the interest

67C10Step 10-15-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8983995)

Jim,
Glad to see you back! I've been meaning to text you but just haven't taken the time. Been using all my spare time on the old truck to make some progress.

Thanks for the comments. I may have went too far on the wood. Probably should have just painted it but I can always do that at some point.

I'll holler at you sometime to see if you got time for lunch or something.

HO455 10-15-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky dave (Post 8982015)

I know that feeling all too well. Best of luck with the resurrection.

jimijam00 10-15-2021 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New shocks. KYB-344055.

zellway 10-15-2021 10:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished installing the drivers door glass and new seals. Also installed new cab mounts. I didn’t realize they had gotten this bad. The cab sits up so much better the body lines up with the bed much better.

Palf70Step 10-16-2021 06:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New front tires yesterday. Belts shifted on the really old ones. The blue will get cleaned off this morning.

Boog 10-16-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8984011)
Hey Boog is back! I can quit worrying about ya!

Yup. I'm still kicking. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8984130)
Jim,
Glad to see you back! I've been meaning to text you but just haven't taken the time. Been using all my spare time on the old truck to make some progress.

Thanks for the comments. I may have went too far on the wood. Probably should have just painted it but I can always do that at some point.

I'll holler at you sometime to see if you got time for lunch or something.

Sure. I've got lots of time.

Boog 10-16-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8984382)
New front tires yesterday. Belts shifted on the really old ones. The blue will get cleaned off this morning.

Hey you're Palf70 again!
Looks good.

And some of you are now going "whaaaaaaaaat"? :lol:

va72longhorn 10-16-2021 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put her to work like she was made.....

( if someone knows how to spin that pic, could ya help a brotha out?)

Boog 10-16-2021 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
turn

Chevys4life 10-16-2021 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fix the radio cut out in the dash today, so now I can install the original radio I got from one of the board members.

3757chevy 10-16-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8984461)
Hey you're Palf70 again!
Looks good.

And some of you are now going "whaaaaaaaaat"? :lol:

It's just not a step. I guess we could call him Palf70Fleet. Nice truck Bill . Welcome back Boog.

zellway 10-16-2021 10:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not much to report. Loads on minor jobs knocked out. Drove it into town just to give it’s a shakedown. Overall a happy guy with the new cab mounts. Next adventure is getting the bed work done so I can install the side trim.

Jiggers72-GMC 10-17-2021 07:18 AM

Great work guys, va72longhorn good to see 'er loaded and workin'
Zell, nice n clean under the hood, what AC system are you using there ??

zellway 10-17-2021 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggers72-GMC (Post 8984798)
Great work guys, va72longhorn good to see 'er loaded and workin'
Zell, nice n clean under the hood, what AC system are you using there ??

Thanks. I’m trying to keep it clean. I installed the condenser kit from vintage air and was thinking about installing a under dash kit I have from my suburban but I ordered the vintage air kit. Who knows when I will get it 😄 I already installed the dash vents for it. It’s funny to think I was only setting out to make my work truck a bit nicer and now it’s looking a bit flashy.

Blazer690 10-17-2021 07:22 PM

Nice steering wheel, witch one is it? Did the horn button just fit?

zellway 10-18-2021 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazer690 (Post 8985022)
Nice steering wheel, witch one is it? Did the horn button just fit?

Mine is a 67 chevelle wheel and I popped the truck horn button on it. I have done this on a few of my trucks. Works perfectly.

1968 K20 10-18-2021 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the tailgate painted over the weekend.

67C10Step 10-18-2021 11:50 AM

Man that color combination is fantastic.

the67Beast 10-18-2021 09:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Coming along slowly, but I am making progress. Got front disc brake conversion almost completed and fitting rear wheels. Still a long way to go before I drive down the road!

zellway 10-18-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the67Beast (Post 8985549)
Coming along slowly, but I am making progress. Got front disc brake conversion almost completed and fitting rear wheels. Still a long way to go before I drive down the road!

Looking great! The level of detail is on point! Look forward to seeing more.

Jiggers72-GMC 10-19-2021 07:30 AM

That tailgate looks sweet man, nice paint

I wish more guys would add their names in their signatures,

lookin' good beast