The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

rnrdthefox 05-16-2021 11:52 PM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Excellent tip on getting the hood fit on the sides. I have this issue on mine. Really appreciate it. Thx.

youngrodder 05-17-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrdthefox (Post 8921519)
Excellent tip on getting the hood fit on the sides. I have this issue on mine. Really appreciate it. Thx.

Good deal. I installed my hood this weekend. Fit good overall. Almost too tight on the sides, ha ha.

Marc

youngrodder 05-17-2021 11:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I installed my hood this weekend which meant I got to install the hood strut kit I bought from LS Fab. This is well worth the money. I love clean well thought out solutions. All of the brackets are SS. I painted mine to blend in better.

**Pic 3 was prior to sliding the collar over the mount

Thanks
Marc

oldman3 05-17-2021 11:30 PM

Look great...Jim

Dieselwrencher 05-18-2021 05:16 AM

That looks awesome! I'm really thinking about getting a set up like that for my 40 Ford but those cars have a huge problem with hood hinge bind when closing so I'm not sure if I will do it or not.

youngrodder 05-18-2021 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8921958)
Look great...Jim

Thanks Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8921994)
That looks awesome! I'm really thinking about getting a set up like that for my 40 Ford but those cars have a huge problem with hood hinge bind when closing so I'm not sure if I will do it or not.

I know on these AD truck the factory hood springs can be problematic and cause other hood fitment challenges. These worked great and are very strong. They can hold the hood open partially as well which is nice if you don't want to open the hood all of the way to show the engine compartment.

Marc

youngrodder 05-25-2021 09:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Each day that passes, I'm closer to driving the "Family Truckster". I ran the motor the other day and let it reach temp. This reveled to me a few small coolant leaks due to incorrect gaskets on the cross over tube as well as collector leaks in the exhaust. I also detected a valve cover leak. My fans kicks on at the correct temp so that was a positive. I have been working on those fixes as well as rebleeding the brakes.

I have my license plate and insurance. I have a 7:30 am appointment on Friday to get an alignment and AC charged.

The final thrash is on.....Today might be a great day for a trip around the neighborhood.

A few teaser pics for ya....

Marc

Tempest67 05-25-2021 10:34 AM

looks great, these 'teaser' photos have me wanting to see more.

I hate leaks, and it will dirty that pretty motor yours.

I put a 'used' aluminum Weiand water pump on my motor and it had a slight leak in the valve, as coolant was running down the lower rad hose and dripping on the garage floor. Ordered a new one and put it on last week. lesson learned, for $45, I should have put on a new one from the start.

keep us posted, we are all waiting

youngrodder 05-25-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8924685)
looks great, these 'teaser' photos have me wanting to see more.

I hate leaks, and it will dirty that pretty motor yours.

I put a 'used' aluminum Weiand water pump on my motor and it had a slight leak in the valve, as coolant was running down the lower rad hose and dripping on the garage floor. Ordered a new one and put it on last week. lesson learned, for $45, I should have put on a new one from the start.

keep us posted, we are all waiting

Thanks. Yeah I don't like leaks either.. I think I have them fixed. This is part of the reason I have been patient leaving the Suburban up on my work stands for so long. Much easier to trouble shoot and fix/debug issues. I realized I can't drive it up on stands tho....

Marc

youngrodder 05-25-2021 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh here is my personal plate.. Kind of a hotrod only rotten.
Pretty fitting that the plate and frame both showed up Saturday and ordered weeks apart.

Marc

Tempest67 05-25-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8924720)
Oh here is my personal plate.. Kind of a hotrod only rotten.
Pretty fitting that the plate and frame both showed up Saturday and ordered weeks apart.

Marc

nice touch

mongocanfly 05-25-2021 02:07 PM

I like it Marc..!!!...

NorCalGal 05-25-2021 02:36 PM

Sweet

6DoF 05-25-2021 02:37 PM

i tried to get my PA plate and title ... but i have to have a certified weight slip for truck. how do i drive a bare cab to get weighed? think they'll put 450lbs on the title?

the plate and frame are so smooth and clean! nice contrast to the name

8man 05-25-2021 04:05 PM

Congrats! Truck looks great.

youngrodder 05-25-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8924782)
I like it Marc..!!!...

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalGal (Post 8924792)
Sweet

Getting there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8924794)
i tried to get my PA plate and title ... but i have to have a certified weight slip for truck. how do i drive a bare cab to get weighed? think they'll put 450lbs on the title?

the plate and frame are so smooth and clean! nice contrast to the name

It's always a treat to deal with SOS. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8924828)
Congrats! Truck looks great.

Much appreciated.

oldman3 05-25-2021 11:51 PM

Love it all...Jim

lower50's 05-28-2021 10:31 AM

Ooo Baby!!! I bet you are having a hard time sleeping knowing the first drive is soon.

youngrodder 06-01-2021 08:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Update////

So on Friday I took the day off to get the Suburban aligned and the AC charged. The shop was 3 miles from the house and I planned to take side streets around the lake to get there....Oh yeah I should mention I had not installed my front glass yet.

Late on Thursday, my son and I pulled the Suburban out of the garage (for the first time under its own power) and planned to take it around the neighborhood. A few feet from the house there was a screeching noise from the rear wheel. We came back to home base to make an adjustment. The "roller" rims I'm using have a terrible offset so I was not surprised.

The trip around the hood was uneventful (which was good). I have a friend in the same hood that is putting together a k5 bagged blazer so we though it was only right to take a photo in front of his house to prove we where on the road before he was.

Once I learned that Fridays forecast called for 40 degrees with 90% rain I decided I needed to call an audible and barrow an enclosed trailer. The Suburban got aligned. Between a wedding I was in and a busy holiday weekend I didn't get much time in the garage. I did manage to install the front glass with the help of my boys. I need to re-bleed my brakes before stretching the Suburban's legs a bit more.

Marc

8man 06-01-2021 08:54 AM

It looks great. Congrats.

6DoF 06-01-2021 10:32 AM

so goooood

mongocanfly 06-01-2021 10:53 AM

Soooooooo close...!!!

youngrodder 06-01-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8927329)
It looks great. Congrats.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8927381)
so goooood

Much apprecaited

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8927392)
Soooooooo close...!!!

Thanks, I know right. I'm good not rushing things knowing I'm really close. My youngest son graduates from middle school on the 11th of June. My goal is to be able to pick him up from school on his last day. he doesn't know this..I have a vison of airing it out and laying out in the pick up line psssssssssss....ha ha

Marc

Tempest67 06-01-2021 11:16 AM

very cool,...keep us posted

lower50's 06-01-2021 11:12 PM

Your son will love it!!