The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Dan in Pasadena 07-11-2013 10:02 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

I actually did SOMETHING today. Not much, but it counts. Welded shut holes in my door panels the P.O. used to mount gawd-awful giant rubber armrests with molded in handles.

Ground them smooth, spread a little bondo and hopefully omorrow I'll sand and prime them.
Posted via Mobile Device

53farm 07-11-2013 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Brought it home for the first time. 1953 Chevrolet 3100. Built in Baltimore, MD.

Bubba54 07-12-2013 08:08 AM

53farm, Welcome to the site. What are your plans for the truck ?

Shawn

53farm 07-12-2013 09:41 AM

Thanks! In the short term, just get it running decent, new wheels/tires, possibly a wood flat bed, and drive it! Want to also do fresh brakes, news fluids, etc. It was originally advertised as a 3100 but after some more measuring and reading, it appears it's a 3/4 ton. Back of cab to end of frame rail measures 87 inches, or 7 feet. Center of rear axle to end of frame rail measures 36" and some change. Door jamb sticker says 5800 lbs GVW. All this seems to match up with the 3/4 ton specs.

In the long term, not sure yet. I posted in the 4x4 section as well. A previous owner has added more leaves to the spring packs, as well as small lift blocks. This got me thinking how awesome a 4x4 conversion would be...albeit out of my current skill range. Major project I know. At first, I thought I was all set on lowering it and all that (which I still like when done right and on certain ones) but not committed to anything yet. Want to just get it running decent and drive it for awhile.

focusedontheprize 07-12-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atommik (Post 6168215)
Drove it,(more than a few feet) around the block for the first time!!!

She looks awesome. Congrats on the ride. Such a relief.

OrrieG 07-12-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53farm (Post 6169155)
It was originally advertised as a 3100 but after some more measuring and reading, it appears it's a 3/4 ton. Back of cab to end of frame rail measures 87 inches, or 7 feet. Center of rear axle to end of frame rail measures 36" and some change. Door jamb sticker says 5800 lbs GVW. All this seems to match up with the 3/4 ton specs.

If you haven't already found it, click the old car manual link in my sig and go to your year, it will have a page with all the frame dims (depth, width, thickness of material) by model. FAM has the various frame configurations showing the crossmember and dims for each model as well. Looks like a nice starting point.

Nordic 07-13-2013 07:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Re upholstered seat.

crossfire84 07-13-2013 09:07 PM

nice work

mechanixman 07-13-2013 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I (almost) finished welding in floors.

4 eyes 07-14-2013 11:35 AM

Today was a good day .I ground the inside of grill teeth to sit straight after reducing the peak at the center of grill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Daze57 07-14-2013 12:28 PM

Floor is looking good

Midgets50 07-14-2013 03:38 PM

got my motor started and running but now have to replace oil lines to and from canister filter because they are no good

rgunlock 07-14-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 eyes (Post 6172446)
Today was a good day .I ground the inside of grill teeth to sit straight after reducing the peak at the center of grill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Post number #1! Welcome to the forum!

mknittle 07-14-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midgets50 (Post 6172762)
got my motor started and running but now have to replace oil lines to and from canister filter because they are no good

how did it run?

Midgets50 07-14-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6172984)
how did it run?

it ran smooth and sounded great for the short time we had it going and then it blew the oil lines that were cracked that went to my filter

OrrieG 07-14-2013 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the fuel door done and primed. big milestone, now I can gas it up and start the engine. Took a lot of hammer and dolly work, that lower part has seen some serious abuse and the metal moved alot during welding. Perfected my shrinking skills!

focusedontheprize 07-15-2013 02:34 PM

Started working on the emergency brakes and ran into a snag when they were really locking. I have a Ford 8.8 out back and their emergency brake setup is swell......such a pain to get to.

I also looked at the rear and decided it needs to go lower so I ordered 4" drop leafs from TCI and happily await them.

Tidy up the engine harness, installed new air cleaner and brake switch, and put the interior panels and handles on. Slowly becoming a real truck.

dubie 07-15-2013 02:42 PM

we bled out the brake system on the truck. The connections had more leaks than the titanic but it was just a matter of a slight tweek with a wrench to seat the flare all the way and we were in business. We also had one front lower shock bolt that got a little beat up in the tear down. The shocks were the originals and were seized onto the post. When I tried to remove them, the hammer got away a couple times and mushroomed the ends a bit. This is where my millwright wife comes into play. She filed the end of the threads down and then re-cut them and finished it up with some new hardware. It's so nice to have a woman in the shop because they just think differently when it comes to mechanical things. She's my secret weapon in this build.
We also got a new tranny cooler all rigged up and ready to be installed along with the rad. I ended up swapping rads with one from a 65 Chevelle that fit like a glove.One of our car club buddies stopped by with an exhaust system for me on the weekend as well. It was complete from end to end, all aluminized pipe with mufflers and tips. So It'll take a little cutting and welding to make it all fit, but we'll get it to work out for us. SO it's been a busy few days at the Dubies shop.

mknittle 07-15-2013 06:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
finished this to lift my cabs .kind of a quikie.:uhmk:

blue57 07-16-2013 09:03 PM

Got my head unit mounted and secured.

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps2c1fdd21.jpg

mknittle 07-17-2013 07:38 PM

I put the cab on for some mockup. I needed to transfer punch the holes for the radiator core support. I was also curious about how my engine was going to sit. I made the motor/trans mounts with the cab and fenders off the frame.
I came out pretty good all in all. the engine could have been back a little but will work fine. It sits a little low but that is a good thing. I have some trimming to do on the inner fenders and core support.
The front springs will have to be changed for some form a six cylinder Camaro as they are way too stiff. Nice to see that most of the worries were unfounded.:metal:

mknittle 07-17-2013 07:48 PM

I can't get the pictures to upload!

mechanixman 07-17-2013 07:55 PM

Just nominated NEWFISHER for ToTM.
Out of the 3 nominees, I'd say he has a strong chance of winning. :lol:
I'm just kidding, the other trucks are pretty slick too.

Dan in Pasadena 07-17-2013 09:25 PM

I didn't DO anything but I did receive the Altman Latch kit I'd ordered last week!

mknittle 07-17-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6178105)
I didn't DO anything but I did receive the Altman Latch kit I'd ordered last week!

woo hoo :metal:

Bubba54 07-17-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6177930)
I put the cab on for some mockup. I needed to transfer punch the holes for the radiator core support. I was also curious about how my engine was going to sit. I made the motor/trans mounts with the cab and fenders off the frame.
I came out pretty good all in all. the engine could have been back a little but will work fine. It sits a little low but that is a good thing. I have some trimming to do on the inner fenders and core support.
The front springs will have to be changed for some form a six cylinder Camaro as they are way too stiff. Nice to see that most of the worries were unfounded.:metal:

Sounds like the build is progressing well. Are you using stock spindles or drop? I too had problems loading pics yesterday, wondering if others have had problems.
Shawn

72freak 07-17-2013 10:39 PM

Sold it..........

lowdownstar 07-18-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6177930)

good for you sir!!!!

mknittle 07-18-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 6178602)
good for you sir!!!!

:lol: Thanks Ray,
It's coming back off today or tomorrow. then I can finish the clutch bell crank,bumper mounts,gas tank hanger.and, and and:lol:

mknittle 07-18-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba54 (Post 6178239)
Sounds like the build is progressing well. Are you using stock spindles or drop? I too had problems loading pics yesterday, wondering if others have had problems.
Shawn

Shawn,
I am thinking I will use 2" drop spindles. If not I will cut a coil off the springs.
I am shooting for getting the frame painted this summer. Anything else that gets done will just be a bonus. :lol:

Liz said the board is changing servers. so the problems should be temporary.

Mark

Bubba54 07-18-2013 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info. Ive already cut 1 coil of my springs. I think Ill wait and see about the drop spindles. Im also considering the QA1 front coil over kit, seems like allot of adjustability.

Shawn

Clarance J 07-18-2013 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I took Clarance J to have his front alignment checked. Seems my buddy Roger and did an ok job with the tape measure. Toe in/out needed a little adjustment. While he was up in the air they lubed all the zerts.

mknittle 07-18-2013 10:58 PM

I took the front fenders and cab back off. Started the clutch bell crank pivot mount on the frame, got that and the goof plugs in my boxing plates tacked. then took the engine and transmission off the frame. And drilled the holes for the core support. Then rolled it out of the shop so we could get the log truck in to do a brake and a tire.

Tomorrow I may attempt to leap a small building in a single bound.:lol:

53farm 07-18-2013 11:16 PM

Disregard--posted in wrong spot. Thanks

crossfire84 07-20-2013 05:57 PM

Went to junk yard and found an over head console from an Impala SS to put in my 50. I can't seem to load a photo of it don't know why.

Daze57 07-20-2013 08:07 PM

^ try again to upload a pict . -i would like to see what it looks like

crossfire84 07-20-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 6182373)
^ try again to upload a pict . -i would like to see what it looks like

still no upload, server says pics too large need to resize, i have no idea how.

Daze57 07-20-2013 08:38 PM

rats ^ lol

Midgets50 07-20-2013 09:07 PM

got a rebuild kit for my single barrel carb now to just get it rebuilt in a couple of weeks

joe70 07-21-2013 02:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i got the old 235 rebuilt connected up to the 700r tranny and back in the old truck