The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

OrrieG 07-21-2013 06:47 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Minor stuff. scored a pair of 63 Starfire courtesy lights to put in my kick panels.

mechanixman 07-21-2013 06:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 6183587)
Minor stuff. scored a pair of 63 Starfire courtesy lights to put in my kick panels.

Cool! Any pictures? :D

I made the kick panel,
still need to weld it in.

mknittle 07-21-2013 10:40 PM

I didn't do anything to my 52 but I did some serious looking and measuring on my 72. and found some possible solutions on moving the A/C pump on my 6bt Cummins to narrow up the bottom some.

spitfire_er 07-21-2013 11:13 PM

On my 55.5 gmc, I got all my brakes gone through and replaced all the parts that needed it. Also got a few good parts off another 57 GMC including an electric wiper motor!

T Hilde 07-22-2013 12:05 AM

Got all the tail lights wired up. Now I'm working on the inside.

Dan in Pasadena 07-22-2013 12:30 PM

I've been out of town since Friday so I got nothing done. I've been busting buns at my step son's new house installing a soft water system and post hole digging (ugh!) for rotted off posts - what a PITA job!

Work to restart on my '55 later this after noon!

mknittle 07-22-2013 10:22 PM

I cut and drilled bumper mounts and reworked the pad where my core support mounts.
I also replaced another electric window motor in my moms Dakota. that's to in less than a week.

mknittle 07-22-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 6182373)
^ try again to upload a pict . -i would like to see what it looks like

Ill see if I can reduce the size tonight.

pvienneau 07-23-2013 11:18 AM

Cleaned up a front and rear brake cylinder on the bench grinder iwth a brass wire 8" brush; they look brandy new now.

tttuba 07-25-2013 12:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found this bumper and grille guard on e-bay mislabeled as a 38 Dodge pick up part. Was the only bidder and got it CHEAP. Had to install it and dress up my bumper.

tttuba 07-25-2013 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oops should have been this picture too.

fabguy 07-25-2013 12:17 AM

I got my 53 hubcaps in a very similar way on eBay .
Congrats, gotta love it
Posted via Mobile Device

mechanixman 07-25-2013 01:16 AM

Looks fantastic tttuba!

Midgets50 07-26-2013 05:59 PM

took my drive shaft in to get cut. hopefully i can install the drive shaft and run brake lines the next time i get back

Denee007 07-26-2013 06:09 PM

I'd like to see those too!;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 6183587)

Dan in Pasadena 07-26-2013 07:50 PM

Denee,
I don't have a photo but I've seen several cars and trucks that used those old chrome license plate lights on the kick panels and even in the engine compartment. These are the ones I'm talking about are about 1" in diameter with half the lense area covered in chrome kinda like an eyelid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell Ashley 07-26-2013 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dan, you mean like these? These are about the easiest way to add courtesy lights. I have mine wired so that both sides don't come on when one door is open.

Denee007 07-26-2013 10:53 PM

Dan, Russell, now that is a clever idea! Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 07-27-2013 12:24 AM

Yup, EXACTLY what I was talking about. Thanks!

crossfire84 07-27-2013 07:21 PM

stained my bed wood today.

Russell Ashley 07-27-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6191685)
Dan, you mean like these? These are about the easiest way to add courtesy lights. I have mine wired so that both sides don't come on when one door is open.

I need to make a new picture. I have corrected that gap at the top of the A/C outlet.

hsdropout 07-27-2013 11:24 PM

Got front fenders and hood fit up.
Having problem with back of hood not wanting to set down when closed........
Can't get adjusted to stay down...........worn hinges maybe?
Any tips?

tttuba 07-27-2013 11:32 PM

Got my rear fenders back from the blaster. Looked good. Found all the prior work. Some of it was even lead work. That's a lost art. Never mind terribly toxic.

OrrieG 07-28-2013 12:46 AM

blocking interior side of doors before paint.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 07-28-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsdropout (Post 6193072)
Got front fenders and hood fit up.
Having problem with back of hood not wanting to set down when closed........
Can't get adjusted to stay down...........worn hinges maybe?
Any tips?

I'm having the same problem. Fabguy suggested I put all the shims under the lowest hood bolt (when the hood is in the up position). I plan to do that tomorrow and hope it makes some difference.

RootBeer 6117 07-28-2013 08:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Insured, Licensed, Brought it home Cruised with the wife(honey can I keep it I promise I'll take care of it) exhaust shop, car show, now re fix the wipers and figure out why the speedometer doesn't work (Really Honey I promise I'll do all the work and clean up any messes).

mknittle 07-28-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBeer 6117 (Post 6193279)
Insured, Licensed, Brought it home Cruised with the wife(honey can I keep it I promise I'll take care of it) exhaust shop, car show, now re fix the wipers and figure out why the speedometer doesn't work (Really Honey I promise I'll do all the work and clean up any messes).

Cool!! I like it!

fabguy 07-28-2013 11:34 AM

installed roller rockers in heads. Started bending up my battery box.

Russell Ashley 07-28-2013 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had some good luck and some not so good luck. I have an appointment Monday to get a new windshield installed so I removed the old one to check the condition of the mounting flange and surface. The surface is perfect with no rust, and it also revealed the original shade of blue that my truck came with. With the windshield out I had my son come over to help me install my new visor that I had ordered a month ago. I've been advised that I need the windshield out to install it, so I was going to mount it, then remove it for the windshield install, then re-install it. It's a Taiwan made visor and when we tried to fit it up it was obvious that there was no way to make it fit. Bummer. My friend, a forum member here who installed a similar visor on his 57 TF, said he didn't think that it is possible to mount it with the windshield in as you have to drill holes along the inside edge of the roof above the windshield. So now my truck isn't drivable for a week or two until I get another visor from a different source.

pvienneau 07-28-2013 07:42 PM

We cruised in the running 49 around town, we also did some painting on the axels and frame on the restore 49.

vince921 07-28-2013 08:15 PM

tore the truck down for a few big changess!!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...1/jackedup.jpg

OrrieG 07-28-2013 09:14 PM

blocked the grill and bumpers and did a little door repair I had missed.

youngrodder 07-28-2013 09:23 PM

I finished gutting the interior and power washing inside and out. I think that I can still smell rat/mouse crap and that was after a shower. Nasty stuff.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...psee1518af.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ps7c1476d7.jpg
Marc

mechanixman 07-28-2013 10:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Marc it looks like a great start.
My dad is insanely jealous. Ever since I got my truck, he's been looking at what it would take to put a burb on a 4X4 s10 frame.

I welded on piece, two nuts for the access panel, and ground a lot of stuff down. Bolted in the panel in for the first time after putting the new kick panel in

dubie 07-29-2013 09:15 AM

hung the hood on the 56 and unwrapped a box full of Magnaflow goodies

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2fd15582.jpg

hsdropout 07-29-2013 10:48 PM

ahhhhh..........magna flow......
Dubie, looking good man; your windshield sure is clean!
Did you have any issues with the back of hood not setting down tight to cowl? I got my hinges bottomed out in slots but back of hood wants to pop up (or not suck down) when closed. Otherwise it fits pretty well.
I guess I'll jus' keep jackin' it around some more 'till it works.

Dan in Pasadena 07-29-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsdropout (Post 6196004)
ahhhhh..........magna flow......
Dubie, looking good man; your windshield sure is clean!
Did you have any issues with the back of hood not setting down tight to cowl? I got my hinges bottomed out in slots but back of hood wants to pop up (or not suck down) when closed. Otherwise it fits pretty well.
I guess I'll jus' keep jackin' it around some more 'till it works.

dropout, if you check my thread you'll read that I JUST fixed the same hood problem on my truck today.

I met "Fabguy" (Mike) at a local cruise night and he told me to put the body shims under the lower hinge mounting hole on the firewall. I had mine on the upper mounting hole. Once I did that (two shims ea. side, all I had) it pulled right down. My driver's side is still sticking up SLIGHTLY...but I think I didn't make sure to mount the hinge as low in the slotted hole as possible.

I'd already put my tools away and was sweating like a pig, or I'd have done it today. Hope this helps. I didn't think to take a Before pic so an After pic doesn't show anything.

Oh and P.S. I put new hood springs on my truck thinking that would fix it - it didn't! But my springs were so worn I could put them on BY HAND!! So they were shot. I'd recommend you put new ones in too if you have the lightest question about yours.

mechanixman 07-29-2013 11:31 PM

I wonder if that can solve the hood problem with AD's also...
I made a cab dolley today, I'll post pics tomorrow

hsdropout 07-29-2013 11:35 PM

Dan, I was gonna try that....shims under bottom mount holes since you mentioned it last week..............thanks twice. I'm gonna check your thread too (I think I been missing out lately, busy with other less important stuff)
I think my sprinks are ok...........they are a real beotch to get on.............need three arms sometimes eh.......

Dan in Pasadena 07-30-2013 12:00 AM

I mentioned it last week? Man, memory is the SECOND thing to go, they say!

Since I'd never replaced the springs before I had no idea how stiff they were supposed to be...so pulling them by hand I thought, "hmmm....is THIS right?" Then when I got the new ones, WOW! WHAAT a pain in the ass that was. I used the "floor jack stretch & wrenches-between-the-spring-coils" trick but I still had to be careful not to pinch the hell out of my hands.