The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

mknittle 12-20-2012 10:32 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arturo7 (Post 5768048)
The tool buying spree continues. This monster followed me home today. Named it Hoss.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...dium/hoss1.JPG

You needed that more than:lol: you knew!

mknittle 12-20-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 5768422)
To everyone on board this forum and the moderators -

Have a Merry Christmas and a safe and happy Holiday season.

And please be carefull out there !!!!!!!!!!

Same to you!!:metal:

Speedbumpauto 12-22-2012 07:15 PM

Finally got the bumpers back from the chrome shop and installed them. A Christmas present to me and now I'm done until after Christmas.

Speedbumpauto 12-22-2012 07:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Forgot the pics in my joy!

hotrod1 12-22-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto (Post 5772816)
Forgot the pics in my joy!

Hey Speedbumpauto. That looks great. I really like the roll pan/rear bumper. Can u tell us more about it and how you did it?

Speedbumpauto 12-23-2012 09:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't have pics of the actual construction but have a couple that can show how I did it. Not to insult the purists, but I think the stock bumper is seriously ugly...but it was a farm truck. I started with 2x3 .120 wall tubing and cut one long side off so it looked like a piece of channel. Then pie cut one end to get my 90 degree bend to cover the stake pocket then boxed/filled/ground as needed to complement the stake pocket. With it mocked in place, cut the inner side at the spot where the license plate pocket started. Then cut the top short side to a length of about 1/2 inch so the long side of the bumper would be perpenducular to the ground so it looks sort of "frenched" then made a cardboard template to match the curve of the roll pan and boxed that end. I actually tried to french the first roll pan, but that turned out to be a disaster....and another sale for Mar-K. Welded two studs on the inside for mounting. In the one pic you can see the heat marks for location of the studs. In the second, the holes in the roll pan for the studs and in the third the brackets welded to the frame for installation. It sounds complicated but it's not, just time consuming but I seriously like how it turned out now that they're chromed. A downside that someone might point out is they're not very functional but this time I chose form over function.

mknittle 12-23-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto (Post 5773603)
I don't have pics of the actual construction but have a couple that can show how I did it. Not to insult the purists, but I think the stock bumper is seriously ugly...but it was a farm truck. I started with 2x3 .120 wall tubing and cut one long side off so it looked like a piece of channel. Then pie cut one end to get my 90 degree bend to cover the stake pocket then boxed/filled/ground as needed to complement the stake pocket. With it mocked in place, cut the inner side at the spot where the license plate pocket started. Then cut the top short side to a length of about 1/2 inch so the long side of the bumper would be perpenducular to the ground so it looks sort of "frenched" then made a cardboard template to match the curve of the roll pan and boxed that end. I actually tried to french the first roll pan, but that turned out to be a disaster....and another sale for Mar-K. Welded two studs on the inside for mounting. In the one pic you can see the heat marks for location of the studs. In the second, the holes in the roll pan for the studs and in the third the brackets welded to the frame for installation. It sounds complicated but it's not, just time consuming but I seriously like how it turned out now that they're chromed. A downside that someone might point out is they're not very functional but this time I chose form over function.

Nice!
"It sounds complicated" :lol: it probably took longer to explane than to do.:lol:

Speedbumpauto 12-23-2012 11:28 AM

HA! You're correct except for my welding skills. I keep Harbor Frt. busy with my purchases of 4 1/2" grinding wheels!

Dan in Pasadena 12-23-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto (Post 5773603)
...Not to insult the purists, but I think the stock bumper is seriously ugly...

I respectfully disagree.

I think yours shows a lot of talent and looks good for those that want a custom appearence. Speaking for myself I like the Task Force trucks because they look as they do. I don't want shaved door handles, rain gutters, a sectioned hood, yada, yada.

I'm no "purist" but I find it incomprehensible that anyone finds this:

BEFORE:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...5-13-11028.jpg

...better looking than this:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...a/DSCN0568.jpg

Yeah, I agree the space between the bumper and bed ought to have been filled with a splash apron like the Advanced Design trucks had. If someone has an original appearing idea for that I'd love to see it.

But it's all good (well, not Lambo doors....or 26's of course:lol:)

mknittle 12-23-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5773858)
I respectfully disagree.

I think yours shows a lot of talent and looks good for those that want a custom appearence. Speaking for myself I like the Task Force trucks because they look as they do. I don't want shaved door handles, rain gutters, a sectioned hood, yada, yada.

I'm no "purist" but I find it incomprehensible that anyone finds this:

BEFORE:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...5-13-11028.jpg

...better looking than this:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...a/DSCN0568.jpg

Yeah, I agree the space between the bumper and bed ought to have been filled with a splash apron like the Advanced Design trucks had. If someone has an original appearing idea for that I'd love to see it.

But it's all good (well, not Lambo doors....or 26's of course:lol:)

Yeah some sort of filler panel would help. the fact that there is no floor in the bed also makes the gap look bigger than it is:lol:

Dan in Pasadena 12-23-2012 01:16 PM

Double post, sorry

Dan in Pasadena 12-23-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5773872)
....the fact that there is no floor in the bed also makes the gap look bigger than it is:lol:

:confused:How could you tell?! Ha ha. Yeah, you're right.

Stepside Jim 12-23-2012 01:33 PM

Realizing that each person has a preference of what looks good and this personal preference is why we like to see others projects. If all trucks stayed the same, looking at an original 1957 Chevy truck sales brochure would be all we would look at.

I have to agree with the original rear bumper not looking as good as it can. I've mentioned before, I didn't get the original so when I ordered the bumper and new brackets and mounted everything I was not happy with the fit.

I shortened and raised the brackets and made a filler panel. All original bumper parts, just fitted closer.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/...k/102_2717.jpg

Speedbumpauto 12-23-2012 01:52 PM

That's pretty neat. Like the way you worked the tail lights into the stake pocket and filled up that bumper gap. That's the deal, we all have brain pictures of what we want to see. Sometimes when it happens, it works really well, sometimes just OK and sometimes you just have to re-do it.
I chopped the top 3" because I've always believed the top was out of proportion to the rest of the truck.....but I deliberately left the rain gutter(smoothed and shortened a bit) because I liked the look. Go figure.

mknittle 12-24-2012 10:46 AM

I chopped the top 3" because I've always believed the top was out of proportion to the rest of the truck.....but I deliberately left the rain gutter(smoothed and shortened a bit) because I liked the look. Go figure.[/quote]

Things like that are what it's all about! people look at it and can't figure out what is different!

gregw98 12-24-2012 11:13 PM

Speedbump, give me some details on your fuel tank.

Yesterday, I changed out my transmission and worked on my power steering set up. Today I installed my detent cable, change out my upper control arm bushings (54/S10) with a BFH and a vice. Got my rear brake installed on the Camaro rearend. Still have steering column issues to work out. Getting there.

Speedbumpauto 12-25-2012 10:56 AM

Tanks Inc. 49-51 Ford car tank with in tank pump option. 17 Gal and I used a small Hagan fuel door in the rear of the d/s fender.

Jaylow72 12-25-2012 03:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
just finished redoing top end and cleaning up engine bay on my 58 apache before and after picks Merry Christmass every one

daverod 12-26-2012 12:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Had the same idea just did'nt fininsh:lol: Oh well there's always next Christmas .:smoke:

lowdownstar 12-26-2012 07:34 AM

wow looks nice after all that work.

Ray

mknittle 12-26-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5777902)
Had the same idea just did'nt fininsh:lol: Oh well there's always next Christmas .:smoke:

At least yours in in the truck:metal::lol: Mine is boxed into the corner on the wrong side of the chin hoist.:lol: Always somthing:lol:

Atommik 12-27-2012 12:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fit up the new box and installed the rear fenders and running boards for the first time since I tore it all apart almost 2 years ago...

mknittle 12-27-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atommik (Post 5779441)
Fit up the new box and installed the rear fenders and running boards for the first time since I tore it all apart almost 2 years ago...

looks really nice! :metal:Every time I see a picture of your truck I start thinking about painting mine yellow:lol:

swanny11 12-28-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atommik (Post 5779441)

did you modify the runningboards??? beds lookn good.

swanny11 12-28-2012 01:50 AM

http://web.mail.comcast.net/service/...=135240&part=2
dropped the tank down, made cutout of the frame that needs to be built for the wood support in bed. Tomorrow we are having some metal bent in the shape