The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

dubie 07-30-2013 07:04 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

The passenger side comes up at the hinge but I haven't done any adjusting to it yet. I'm hoping to get back in the shop tonight and get that straightened out. The drivers side fits like a glove
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell Ashley 07-31-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6196058)
dropout, if you check my thread you'll read that I JUST fixed the same hood problem on my truck today.

I met "Fabguy" (Mike) at a local cruise night and he told me to put the body shims under the lower hinge mounting hole on the firewall. I had mine on the upper mounting hole. Once I did that (two shims ea. side, all I had) it pulled right down. My driver's side is still sticking up SLIGHTLY...but I think I didn't make sure to mount the hinge as low in the slotted hole as possible.

My last truck was a 69 Dodge and the trick with those was to put shims under the front hood mounting bolt. I've been thinking about trying that with my Chevy but now I guess I'll follow this tip and put the shims under the hinge mount. Makes sense to me as either way you are causing the hinge to close farther.

Iceman_70 07-31-2013 09:25 AM

Trying to smooth the firewall ...
Also reviewed some posts on how to pass cables/tubes. I think I will go for the ‘behind the inner fenders’ setup …

http://users.telenet.be/cuypers/pickup/firewall.jpg

crossfire84 07-31-2013 06:42 PM

put 3rd coat of stain on bed wood today (all 6 sides plus down the bolt holes).

Clarance J 08-01-2013 03:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Carpet and kick panel install. Using what I had left over from the porch carpet. Its new, clean and not expensive and lays flat and is easy to work with. Plus I like the color. Maybe 30.00 for everything including floor plate. Now time cost, that's a different story. The kick panel is just covered in vinyl.

Highsider 08-01-2013 10:07 PM

I installed new Steele rear door rubber.

The entire job went smoothly, especially after
removing the old, non-stock item and the crumbly yellow gorilla snot.
Very nice fit and they sold me a tube of black 3M super adhesive which made it easy.

I will leave the doors shut through the weekend, then probably have to do a bit of door adjustment.

Speedbumpauto 08-01-2013 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My total wiring experience continues. Just finished installing the AC vents and the Vintage Air electronic control for the gen 2 mini system I used and everything works....as well as it can without a running engine. Fan has all speeds and the heat servo moves when I move the dial and I can hear the AC clutch click when I move the cold knob. Also installed the tach/shift light and when I turn the key to "on" a 0 shows up. This all makes me happy so it's Miller time.

mechanixman 08-02-2013 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the 327 looking pretty

arturo7 08-02-2013 01:34 AM

Installed the flywheel, clutch, and bell on the motor.

Daze57 08-02-2013 12:27 PM

runnin trans cooler lines and the cooler for the 700R4

Atommik 08-02-2013 10:51 PM

Drove it to work (and back home)!

arturo7 08-03-2013 01:09 AM

Installed the motor and tranny onto the chassis.

mknittle 08-03-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atommik (Post 6202259)
Drove it to work (and back home)!

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

mknittle 08-03-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarance J (Post 6200081)
Carpet and kick panel install. Using what I had left over from the porch carpet. Its new, clean and not expensive and lays flat and is easy to work with. Plus I like the color. Maybe 30.00 for everything including floor plate. Now time cost, that's a different story. The kick panel is just covered in vinyl.

Looks good. I like the sewing machine :metal: I have a 194s/early50s singer that my mom gave me. I replaced the timing belt and got a servo motor. Wow it runs great and is a lot of fun to run.:lol:

OrrieG 08-04-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 6194236)
blocked the grill and bumpers and did a little door repair I had missed.

More door blocking...made sure no one had stolen my fenders from the shed...

dubie 08-06-2013 06:53 AM

Rigged up some temporary exhaust, broke in the cam, set the timing and the idle. With any luck, the truck will be going in for inspection on Friday
Posted via Mobile Device

focusedontheprize 08-06-2013 08:41 AM

Make the decision to park the truck this weekend. The transmission is too much of a headache to keep driving it. One of my buddies has a '52 with a T5 in it behind his 327 and he let me take it for a spin - instantly knowing this would be the right move. Hopefully.

Come to find out, he has a Camaro one laying at his Dad's and I was able to locate a few S10 T5s in the junkyard for their tailshaft and parts. So that was a relief.

As for the rest of the weekend with the truck - it was horrible. TCI forgot parts in my order for the lowering kit and Classic Parts sent me a '55 - '59 TF ignition switch instead of the universal turn signal switch I gave the part number for. So all in all, a good weekend.

mechanixman 08-06-2013 11:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished the passenger side cowl panel.
Got new bearings and piston rings, just getting ready to put the motor together (again :chevy:)
Tore off the the driver side cowl and kick panel, making the kick panel template

Russell Ashley 08-08-2013 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my new windshield installed. The shop said installing the chrome was a PITA, I knew it was from just looking at the chrome and reading about it here on this forum. They didn't charge me any extra to install it but said in the future they would add a charge for doing it.
I'm loving the glass. It's tinted but it's so clear that it looks like there's nothing in front of you when you are driving.

dubie 08-08-2013 01:03 PM

Installed the electric fan and sorted out a couple electrical gremlins. The truck goes for exhaust and inspection tomorrow at 1. My glass guy is coming over to my place to pop the windshield back in the truck tonight.

Your glass and trim looks damn nice Russell

Denee007 08-08-2013 06:36 PM

Now that is something to smile about!;) Beautiful!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6210913)
Got my new windshield installed. The shop said installing the chrome was a PITA, I knew it was from just looking at the chrome and reading about it here on this forum. They didn't charge me any extra to install it but said in the future they would add a charge for doing it.
I'm loving the glass. It's tinted but it's so clear that it looks like there's nothing in front of you when you are driving.

Denee007 08-08-2013 06:38 PM

I cleaned up my workbench, and put some neat decals here and there. When we return from vacation, I'll get back on the rear axle! That's it for now, no more garage fun for almost two weeks!:waah:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps3f31cd4c.jpg

Indian113 08-08-2013 07:34 PM

Russell That trim really looks nice!

1968aj 08-08-2013 08:37 PM

started taking truck apart.cut out all the rusty bed bolts got bed cut loose for removal as soon as i can get my sons over here to pick it up. removed seat. removed gas tank. filled up a garbage can full of trash and rat sh--. have lots of pictures as soon as i figure out how to resize yes i put them on photobucket but cant figure out how to put them here. oh this is my first day on this truck.. 1959 short fleet big window.

mknittle 08-09-2013 10:08 AM

I gave up not doing anything any more kaput done nada!

Just kidding I have to take a break to work on my daily driver and some other things.

BIG10SILVERADO 08-09-2013 11:37 PM

Finished the passenger door side shop logo. All hand painted.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps40e9d5c0.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Daze57 08-10-2013 04:26 AM

great lookin sign

Tomb23 08-10-2013 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Restoring The Dash Inserts

Tomb23 08-10-2013 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Half Done Now the other side!

Russell Ashley 08-10-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG10SILVERADO (Post 6213378)

Posted via Mobile Device

The door sign looks cool. Are you going to "age" it and make it look old?

Toomb23, that dash panel is beautiful.

BIG10SILVERADO 08-10-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6214150)
The door sign looks cool. Are you going to "age" it and make it look old?

Toomb23, that dash panel is beautiful.

Yea I'm going to age it.
Posted via Mobile Device

pvienneau 08-10-2013 04:09 PM

Tomb excellent work on the dash inserts. Wire brush?

Started putting engine back together,\: removed more metal from block with magnets, put on Oil pan with all SS bolts and washers, put on side cover with SS bolts and washers, put in new copper 3/16 oil tubing through engine, installed valve cover. Time to quit.

crossfire84 08-10-2013 06:47 PM

put another coat of clear on my bed wood.

fabguy 08-10-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG10SILVERADO (Post 6213378)

Posted via Mobile Device

this looks sweet!

Russell Ashley, that windshield looks great, I have the same tint on mine and yes it is cool because it is only visible from the outside mainly.

I scored on a corvette rear and front suspension for my wife's 55 suburban, it is my next project in line. She is almost excited as I am for me to start it. Here it is before we loaded it up and took it too the car wash to clean it down. and I want to thank BAM for the great advice on going vette suspension ;) all the way around.

http://henderson6.com/images/vetterear.jpg

Also, the bead lock tool showed up this week so I can finish getting my rear glass installed also.

Well, It is off too relax with my wife as she has Al Green playing outside, I think a glass of wine is in order tonight :) cant beat Al Green playing while your BBQ'ing, in this great weather we are having.

OrrieG 08-10-2013 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb23 (Post 6213771)
Half Done Now the other side!

Is that really the same cruddy one cleaned up?? Very nice, lots of folks would have just tossed it and bought poorer quality repop.

I sanded some more, then got tired of moving the inner fenders around so I mounted them. Remembered all the time I spent on stuff no one will see!

lazypineapple 08-11-2013 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Squeezed a 4" fan in place of the 2" low profile.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

mknittle 08-11-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 6214501)
Remembered all the time I spent on stuff no one will see!

My dad often says "nobody will see that" :lol: I just say " but I will know about it"
I notice that if there are a line of nice cars/trucks at a show. The one that always stands out even if it doesn't have as nice paint. is the one that has all the nobody will see that's treated like they will be the first thing that will be seen.

vht 08-11-2013 08:18 PM

Done some more body work on the cab of my 51. Can't wait to get all the body work done, I like working on frames, welding, fab work etc, body work sucks.

OrrieG 08-11-2013 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hooked up heater hoses to engine and installed electric washer bottle, its from a mid 90's Dodge Caravan back window unit.

arturo7 08-11-2013 11:39 PM

Set up an electrolysis tank using a leaky trash can then de-rusted the radiator frame. Also got out the body hammers and pounded on one of the front fenders.

No pics, the gallery seems to be closed for maintenance.