The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

gringoloco 10-13-2018 04:16 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8360744)
Sorry for cluttering up your thread.

Haha, seems like it’s mostly just you and me anymore these days...
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8361774)
Nice work on the radio repair Chris!

Thanks Mike! It is proving to be somewhat of a pain, like most things. I did receive the Retrosound faceplate so I can tweak the hole. I was pretty close on the first shot, just needs minor work with a file to provide enough clearance once painted.

More to come, soon. Spending some time getting a heater setup in my workspace, as winter is pretty much here in UT already :chevy:

gringoloco 10-13-2018 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I pulled into the garage after work yesterday to find this:

I don’t know if it’s a seasonal thing or if it’s some comment on how long this project is taking :lol:

nlped 10-13-2018 05:11 PM

^^^

I have to say, That's FUNNY!!!!

smbrouss70 10-13-2018 08:23 PM

If it's still there come Christmas time, I think you may have found your answer. :haha:

babyblueoval 10-13-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 8363661)
^^^

I have to say, That's FUNNY!!!!

I completely agree!

aggie91 10-16-2018 08:08 AM

Very funny. I'm guessing you wife is trying to tell you something???

Bennett68C10 10-16-2018 09:12 AM

Hahaha :lol: nice job on the dash repair for the radio opening.

rustytruck50 10-16-2018 01:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I like her sense of humor!!!! :haha:
I did this a couple of years ago with my '48 Farm Truck ....think mine is a distant, dusty cousin of yours(skeleton, that is) :lol::lol::lol:

gringoloco 10-17-2018 03:32 PM

Thanks dudes, it was a fun surprise.

@rustytruck: I like what you did there. I always thought it would be fun to use the truck for a hayride, or maybe stuff a dead dummy underneath as though the suspension a had collapsed on it. Maybe next year...

rustytruck50 10-17-2018 08:57 PM

That would be cool...I'm trying to get the brakes fixed on the '72 in time for a Trunk-or-Treat this weekend

gringoloco 10-22-2018 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, the new axles arrived in short order (next day from Summit for most things here), but the dimensions are not exactly the same as the stockers that I removed. It’s only a few thou here and there, but enough to require a trip to the machine shop. If I’d known, I would have just ordered a set of Mosers and been done with it. Oh well...

gringoloco 10-22-2018 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So while the axles are at the machine shop, I figured I’d tear into the little five-three for some freshening and upgrades. So far I’ve got it all torn down and have cleaned the carbon deposits from the pistons and combustion chambers. It’s now sitting at #1 TDC awaiting installation of the BTR truck cam.

While it’s apart, it will also get new lifters, hardened pushrods, valve springs, oil pump, timing chain, and gaskets. This was a good running motor, so I’m not rebuilding the bottom end, just freshening her up a bit. Hope that doesn’t come back to bite me like every other time I try to cheap out (see axles above)...

knomadd 10-22-2018 04:53 PM

:lol: That was a good helper at one point...

I guess your wife is tired of waiting on this one. We're glad you're back on it too though.

aggie91 10-23-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8369241)
So while the axles are at the machine shop, I figured I’d tear into the little five-three for some freshening and upgrades. So far I’ve got it all torn down and have cleaned the carbon deposits from the pistons and combustion chambers. It’s now sitting at #1 TDC awaiting installation of the BTR truck cam.

While it’s apart, it will also get new lifters, hardened pushrods, valve springs, oil pump, timing chain, and gaskets. This was a good running motor, so I’m not rebuilding the bottom end, just freshening her up a bit. Hope that doesn’t come back to bite me like every other time I try to cheap out (see axles above)...

I've done something similar to the 5.3 that is in my '65. When my son upgraded his short block on his turbo truck, I got the old set up. When he pulled the cam out to swap to the new set up, 2 of the cam bearings fell out of the block. I got the whole package in pieces, I mean everything was apart. I cleaned it all and reassembled using the factory 240k mile bearings on the rods and crank and used new cam bearings (and an old stock cam & lifters) and all new gaskets, I even reused the factory torque to yield bolts...I have more time and elbow grease value in the engine than actual money. Most expensive thing was the gasket kit with MLS head gaskets. Think all told in parts I bought, I have about $175 in a running 5.3.

So far it has held good oil pressure and runs smooth...:ito:

gringoloco 10-24-2018 12:47 AM

Good to know, Aggie, these are pretty astounding little engines. Fingers crossed...

New cam, timing chain, oil pump, and f-body oil pan are installed :D Next up is valve springs, then bolt the heads back on and she’ll be ready for a coat of chevy engine orange :chevy:

shearjs 10-29-2018 10:30 AM

You’ll be good to go with your engine upgrades. I did the same with my 6.0 in the GMC and had zero issues. Actually contemplating doing the same thing to my 5.3 for the Burb. What kind of gains are you looking to make with the upgrades?? Keep up the great work!

gringoloco 10-29-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 8373845)
You’ll be good to go with your engine upgrades. I did the same with my 6.0 in the GMC and had zero issues. Actually contemplating doing the same thing to my 5.3 for the Burb. What kind of gains are you looking to make with the upgrades?? Keep up the great work!

Thanks, fingers crossed! From what I’ve seen, I’m guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 at the crank. Should be plenty of fun with the Muncie and 3:73s. Reminds me, I need to start looking for an Eaton carrier... :burnout:

gringoloco 11-05-2018 01:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Welp, the long block is completely reassembled with the new cam, lifters, hardened pushrods, valve springs, valve seals, oil pump, timing chain, and head gaskets/bolts. Nothing pic worthy to write home about, but a significant step nonetheless. She’s now ready for final scrubdown and a coat of chevy engine orange before stabbing for (hopefully) the last time.

Also did some work on the radio opening in the dash. Turns out I mis-measured one of the holes, so out came the cutoff wheel to reaccomplish what I thought was complete work. Ah well, it’s now all squared-away in primer, ready for final sanding and paint. Starting to feel some momentum, wonder what will go wrong next :lol:

gringoloco 11-09-2018 12:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More progress with the dash final sanded, in color, and cleared. Color match is pretty good and the clear laid out nicely. I got some trash in the ashtray lid that I hope to wet sand out, but overall I’m pretty happy with how this turned out :chevy:

jaros44sr 11-09-2018 06:08 AM

Nice work, Chris. Nothing like a factory unmolested dash. I thought you had a blemish in your paint, but it was my dirty screen

Great work so far!!!

gringoloco 11-09-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 8380719)
Nice work, Chris. Nothing like a factory unmolested dash. I thought you had a blemish in your paint, but it was my dirty screen

Great work so far!!!

Thanks! It’s not perfect, but nothing on this truck is, so it blends right in :lol:

rustytruck50 11-09-2018 05:02 PM

Nice job Chris!!! Love that color!! :cool: :cool:

smbrouss70 11-09-2018 09:14 PM

Looks better than I could have done! I have runs in the paint on my engine block... But nobody will see that unless they want to change the oil for me, which I don't think will ever happen.:lol:

I can't wait to see this truck on the road.

cornerstone 11-10-2018 01:19 AM

Really looks nice man. Is that a factory color? Medium blue? What kind of spray gun did you use?;)

Brian

gringoloco 11-10-2018 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8380999)
Nice job Chris!!! Love that color!! :cool: :cool:

Thanks a lot! I like it, too and it’s on the list of potentials if I ever decide to make this a shiny truck.
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8381133)
Looks better than I could have done! I have runs in the paint on my engine block... But nobody will see that unless they want to change the oil for me, which I don't think will ever happen.:lol:

I can't wait to see this truck on the road.

Trust me, it’s not perfect, but I’m learning to accept flaws as character :lol: Engine will likely be the next thing painted—hoping for no runs, but I’m ok with hiding them, too.

It may be driving soon-ish? I feel like it’s gaining momentum and most of the big stuff is either bought or planned for. Just gotta stay focused...
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8381259)
Really looks nice man. Is that a factory color? Medium blue? What kind of spray gun did you use?;)

Brian

Thanks! The color is a very near match to the original medium blue poly, but in modern base/clear.

Believe it or not, this was a rattle can job; the base I had custom mixed at my local paint shop and the clear is a 2K hardened product from SprayMax. The clear is excellent and rivals the quality you get from “normal” 2-part paints. The can has a special nozzle that fans the spray pattern which makes the paint lay really nicely. Not a cheap spray bomb, but perfect for this small job. I’ll have to break out the HVLP when it’s time to squirt the firewall.