The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

mongocanfly 09-22-2021 02:01 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

1 Attachment(s)
Marc ...i could see it now..!!!

youngrodder 09-22-2021 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 8974202)
Ha-Ha-Ha!!! That is pretty epic!
I wonder how long it has been there, and what the real story is behind that chain?
I wish that I was in a situation where I could tag-along to the show with you this weekend!
Maybe next show-season!!

Right I know. From the rust it has been there for a bit.

The weather looks suspect for Saturday. It might be a no go. We might hit one up closer to home (Marshall) if the weather looks sketchy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8974371)
Marc ...i could see it now..!!!

Pretty much... the only difference is mine was on the passenger side. ha ha

Marc

youngrodder 10-01-2021 02:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Warning....Photo heavy update!!

Since our maiden voyage to Columbus, OH in Mid July, we have have been burning up the roads as a family in the Truckster.

We have hit up several cruise nights, car shows, cars N coffee events to name a few. I have regularly driven the Suburban to work and run errands (like Home Depot) as well as a few ice cream runs.

The odometer sits just under 2,500 since (Since July). All of this driving has made me realize I NEED cup holders. I have an idea for a slick solution without detracting from the simplicity of the interior/dash. More on that later.

We have had a blast. Here are some pics from the various events.

Thanks

Marc

youngrodder 10-01-2021 02:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics////////////////

youngrodder 10-01-2021 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I told you it was picture heavy..

The last red sky pic was from our way home from a cruise night yesterday in Middlebury IN. It was the last cruise night of the season and had well over 1,000 cars. It was a great time for a drive. MI weather in the fall is the best time to have an old car/truck to bomb around in.

Marc

8man 10-01-2021 03:00 PM

Very nice!

mongocanfly 10-01-2021 07:27 PM

all that great work is paying off it looks like..!!!!

NorCalGal 10-01-2021 09:01 PM

Love all the photos of your family enjoying your suburban.

oldman3 10-01-2021 11:52 PM

Marc, great pics and great looking family, continue to enjoy...Jim

youngrodder 10-02-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8978697)
Very nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8978801)
all that great work is paying off it looks like..!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalGal (Post 8978834)
Love all the photos of your family enjoying your suburban.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8978912)
Marc, great pics and great looking family, continue to enjoy...Jim

Thank you all....These are the main reasons behind this build. I have had a few people ask "How much $$". I'm having too much fun driving this thing to think about selling it. Besides I need to finish it the last 5% over the winter.

Marc

Tempest67 10-03-2021 12:12 PM

Great pics, great use of the truck, and great build

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying that very cool truck.

Thanks for sharing

Dieselwrencher 10-07-2021 10:44 AM

Awesome pics, and keep them coming. We just did a large cruise here as well and I enjoy it for the same things this time of year. It has been pretty warm this fall and I'll take it so I can get a bunch of stuff done before it turns to cold in a weekend. That's how it seems to work here lately.

youngrodder 10-07-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8979547)
Great pics, great use of the truck, and great build

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying that very cool truck.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks and thank you for continued interest...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8981196)
Awesome pics, and keep them coming. We just did a large cruise here as well and I enjoy it for the same things this time of year. It has been pretty warm this fall and I'll take it so I can get a bunch of stuff done before it turns to cold in a weekend. That's how it seems to work here lately.

Yes, same here with the weather. I'm getting it tuned on the 15th and have some other upgrades over the winter but I had to put it up (just yet). I'm going to head over to a fellow board member this weekend to meet him and check out his projects. He's on the other years/body style sections. Everyone that I have met in person from this site have been great.

Thanks
Marc

youngrodder 10-07-2021 03:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Operation Cup Holder/////

With driving as much as we do it helped to identify how badly I needed cup holders in the Truckster. Like most of the build details I didn't want the cup holder to look like a stuck on after thought. I also didn't want to spend a ton of $$ on a solution.

I purchased a double barrel cup holder from LS Fab. These were designed with the intent of mounting under the dash. Since I used a custom lower dash panel and was out of real-estate I come up with a different solution. These cup holders are SS and very heavy gauge metal. Like all of their other products very nice quality.

I purchases some tube clamps of Amazon that would be used for mounting lights on an off road vehicle. I then cut up the mount to better fit my location. The offset of the mounting hole location I drilled were dictated by the seat spring supports. The goal was to center the cup holders in cab.

Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Cheers....

Tempest67 10-07-2021 03:47 PM

nice touch

8man 10-07-2021 04:52 PM

I like that. Good idea for use with a bench seat.

Dieselwrencher 10-08-2021 07:39 AM

That turned out really nice.

youngrodder 10-08-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8981306)
nice touch

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8981326)
I like that. Good idea for use with a bench seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8981515)
That turned out really nice.

Thanks Guys.....I toyed with having it mounted only on one side and be able to pivot/spin it to fit under the seat out of sight. I didn't like how much of the cup holder I would have to cut to pull it off. Also I was pretty certain it would not be as stout as this mounting method.

Thanks
Marc

JJH Jimmy 10-10-2021 08:38 PM

It was nice to meet you yesterday. You have done one hell of a job on it. That is one sweet ride!

youngrodder 10-11-2021 07:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 8982474)
It was nice to meet you yesterday. You have done one hell of a job on it. That is one sweet ride!

Thanks Josh

On Saturday taking advantage of this great fall weather, I cruised over for Josh's (JJH Jimmy) to check out his projects. I really like what he's got going on.

Thanks your chatting about trucks on Saturday.

**Oh, it tried out the cup holder this weekend and I'm very pleased. The ergonomics of the location works great.

Marc

lower50's 10-26-2021 11:37 PM

Looks like you and the fam are having a great time in the Truckster. Put all that time and effort into a build there is no better way to enjoy it. Your cup holders look great.

youngrodder 10-27-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8988757)
Looks like you and the fam are having a great time in the Truckster. Put all that time and effort into a build there is no better way to enjoy it. Your cup holders look great.

Thanks man we have been...Yeah, I also took it to a tuner just before I put it up for the season to do a proper dyno tune. He picked up 49 hp and 33 ft lbs of torque. He also messed with the fuel curves so I should get better gas mileage to boot.

He will post a video on YouTube of the tune. I'll try to post a link for those who might be interested.

The driving experience should be even more enjoyable next season.

Marc

mongocanfly 10-27-2021 10:30 PM

I'd love to see it on the dyno..

oldman3 10-27-2021 11:33 PM

Ready to hear it roar...Jim

lower50's 10-27-2021 11:59 PM

Waiting!! LOL