The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Jonboy 11-15-2010 12:16 AM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

I think adding a louver of any sort would take away from cleaning up the truck. If it was me, I would try harder to resist the urge.

Also, what about using a bonding adhesive like 8115 in the hood seam vs. welding it?

Strodder 11-15-2010 12:33 AM

At SEMA I was talking to Michael from Sir Michaels. I found out that he lives only a couple of miles from me in Oak Hills. He moved the whole Sir Michaels business to his house. He said they are coming out with stick on louvers that look real. I'll have to see them. He also does real louvers at his house. How convenient :metal:
Here's his web site. One of the roll pan pictures that flashes on is my sons Silver S-10.

http://www.sirmichaels.com/user_page...html?page=Home
http://www.sirmichaels.com/uploads/images/129__orig.jpg

Alan's Classic 11-17-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 4295282)
I think adding a louver of any sort would take away from cleaning up the truck. If it was me, I would try harder to resist the urge.

Also, what about using a bonding adhesive like 8115 in the hood seam vs. welding it?

Thanks for the input. I did think about it and believe the louvers would look good on a truck, but not mine. You are right, I'm after a clean paint job.

While 8115 is a great product, I don't feel comfortable using it in that way. I have no proof it wouldn't work, just a gut feeling. I think about the expansion difference between metal and 8115. I think it could show up in the paint eventually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4295313)
At SEMA I was talking to Michael from Sir Michaels. I found out that he lives only a couple of miles from me in Oak Hills. He moved the whole Sir Michaels business to his house. He said they are coming out with stick on louvers that look real. I'll have to see them. He also does real louvers at his house. How convenient :metal:
Here's his web site. One of the roll pan pictures that flashes on is my sons Silver S-10.

:thumbs:Thanks for the link and info.

I've mentioned it before about how I want to do my seats. Orange and black houndstooth inset with Black wrap.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yourautotrim...2128_158489813

I found it by the yard here

Strodder 11-17-2010 12:52 AM

What other color will you put with the hounds tooth?
Here's another supplier I talked to at SEMA. They had some cool stuff. I wish I could remember there name. If I remember I'll let you know.

http://belair.smugmug.com/Events/SEM...39_87gV6-M.jpg

cl08 11-18-2010 08:53 AM

Alan, is that vinyl or cloth? Regardless I dig it.

Alan's Classic 11-18-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4298938)
What other color will you put with the hounds tooth?
Here's another supplier I talked to at SEMA. They had some cool stuff. I wish I could remember there name. If I remember I'll let you know.

It will look like the 69 camaro seat, but it will be wrapped in black vinyl. The only difference is that my seats came out of a 99 Silverado. Over all it should look awesome.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/assets/r.../sku/DLX-7.jpg

http://www.camarosandclassics.com/Me...oundstooth.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl08 (Post 4300986)
Alan, is that vinyl or cloth? Regardless I dig it.

It's cloth. BTW thanks

likaroc13 11-18-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4302064)
It will look like the 69 camaro seat, but it will be wrapped in black vinyl. The only difference is that my seats came out of a 99 Silverado. Over all it should look awesome.

i agree, that should look killer:metal: my grandmother did black and white houndstooth for my grandpa's Nash Metropolitan

Strodder 11-18-2010 11:08 PM

:agree: Should look great. :metal: I wonder if they make it in red?

enick72 11-18-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4302263)
:agree: Should look great. :metal: I wonder if they make it in red?

I buy a lot of products from this company, great people and yes they have red;)
http://www.yourautotrim.com/hoaufa.html

Alan, with your colors and black on the outsides that is going to make the insides really pop, should look really nice.

198plus 11-19-2010 12:08 AM

Great choice.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4302064)

http://www.rickscamaros.com/assets/r.../sku/DLX-7.jpg

http://www.camarosandclassics.com/Me...oundstooth.jpg

It's cloth. BTW thanks

Strodder 11-19-2010 12:15 AM

Thanks Allan. I'll look into it when I'm ready. I booked marked it.

Jonboy 11-21-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4298861)
Thanks for the input. I did think about it and believe the louvers would look good on a truck, but not mine. You are right, I'm after a clean paint job.

While 8115 is a great product, I don't feel comfortable using it in that way. I have no proof it wouldn't work, just a gut feeling. I think about the expansion difference between metal and 8115. I think it could show up in the paint eventually.

:thumbs:Thanks for the link and info.

I've mentioned it before about how I want to do my seats. Orange and black houndstooth inset with Black wrap.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yourautotrim...2128_158489813

I found it by the yard here

I filled the cab seam in my '73 with 8115 about 9 years ago, and it still looks great, as far as I know (sold the truck to a friend's dad). If I was to do another one, I might tack the corners and ends, but it worked well (and saved a ton of time and effort....).

I like the seat idea, too. I've been thinking about either black or white vinyl with black/white houndstooth in the '74. I was set on black, but saw an orange '72 with white door panels and seat that have me rethinking that.

dkauffman05 11-28-2010 12:44 AM

Hey Allan ! Its Dan from the camper shop. Travis's friend I think this might be you. Truck looks great I love the seat idea .The guy that did all the houndstooth seats in the 4th gen gmmg camaros is just a few miles from your shop.

Alan's Classic 11-28-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 4305535)
I filled the cab seam in my '73 with 8115 about 9 years ago, and it still looks great, as far as I know (sold the truck to a friend's dad). If I was to do another one, I might tack the corners and ends, but it worked well (and saved a ton of time and effort....).

I like the seat idea, too. I've been thinking about either black or white vinyl with black/white houndstooth in the '74. I was set on black, but saw an orange '72 with white door panels and seat that have me rethinking that.

I might reconsider the thought of using 8515. That way I can speak from experience. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkauffman05 (Post 4317569)
Hey Allan ! Its Dan from the camper shop. Travis's friend I think this might be you. Truck looks great I love the seat idea .The guy that did all the houndstooth seats in the 4th gen gmmg camaros is just a few miles from your shop.

What's up Dan. I didn't know you were on here. Have you dealt with the shop you mentioned? What's the name of the shop? If you don't want to post it here I'll give you a call.

dkauffman05 11-28-2010 03:53 PM

His name is Greg and his shop is just past Ace on the right going toward Cumming. Sure everone has an opinion but i like his work he has done some real nice $$$$ cars . Real nice honest guy. Darron and Travis know him i think. He was gonna do the interior in Darron's gmc but didn't for some reason i am unsure of.

Alan's Classic 11-28-2010 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkauffman05 (Post 4318433)
His name is Greg and his shop is just past Ace on the right going toward Cumming. Sure everone has an opinion but i like his work he has done some real nice $$$$ cars . Real nice honest guy. Darron and Travis know him i think. He was gonna do the interior in Darron's gmc but didn't for some reason i am unsure of.

Thanks, I'll check into it.

Click here to check out my new find. I haven't bought it, but thinking about it.

1enick72 11-28-2010 07:07 PM

Nice, looks clean
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 12-03-2010 11:29 PM

Went to the upolstery shop that Dan had mentioned. He priced doing my seat at $500 vinyl, $750 leather. That's with me getting the houndstooth myself. He said he needs 2 yards to do the inserts (about $40). Seams a little steep. I figured about $450 max. Am I wrong by thinking that? The one thing I failed to do was to look at some of his work. I saw some of his work over a year ago, but didn't study it too much.

greg65 12-04-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4329746)
Went to the upolstery shop that Dan had mentioned. He priced doing my seat at $500 vinyl, $750 leather. That's with me getting the houndstooth myself. He said he needs 2 yards to do the inserts (about $40). Seams a little steep. I figured about $450 max. Am I wrong by thinking that? The one thing I failed to do was to look at some of his work. I saw some of his work over a year ago, but didn't study it too much.

If that is for just the seats it does sound high for labor. But it is like Sam Walton said " it's just paper". I know it will look great with what ever you decide.

enick72 12-04-2010 02:06 PM

That does sound pricey but I've never had any done either. I wish I had a little more experience so I could offer some assistance. I'm going to do a set for myself very soon nd am quite sure I have the skills but I wouldn't want to try someone elses without more practice. I know how much leather or vinyl will be but that would leave a lot of hours for labor.

Strodder 12-04-2010 10:43 PM

It sounds like too much to me. I can get the whole interior done without the carpet for $800 with that fake leather, which looks and feels almost as good. That's doors, kick panels, small headliner, and seats.

padresag 12-05-2010 12:10 AM

it depends upon the quality of the work that he would perform. a lot can be hidden inside of an upholstered piece and there are lots that don't really have that sense of quality- only what it costs. it is always a good feeling that you know that you get whhat one pays for
he may rebuilt all of the springs inside and all new padding. is there anyone here who can speak to the quality of his work
it is just like many here who praise Alan's work and whole heartily so. what about the work that was done by that other fellow on 198plus's truck,not very good was it as we saw by the mess that done
just don't condemn someone by the price they charge because you can't pay the price or perhaps don't understand quality
we all do things blindly and trust people and alot of time the disappoint you
ron

Alan's Classic 12-05-2010 12:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 4330182)
If that is for just the seats it does sound high for labor. But it is like Sam Walton said " it's just paper". I know it will look great with what ever you decide.

Thanks Greg

Quote:

Originally Posted by enick72 (Post 4330648)
That does sound pricey but I've never had any done either. I wish I had a little more experience so I could offer some assistance. I'm going to do a set for myself very soon nd am quite sure I have the skills but I wouldn't want to try someone elses without more practice. I know how much leather or vinyl will be but that would leave a lot of hours for labor.

When can you start? Maybe you can get yours done and by that time I'll be ready to get mine done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4331506)
It sounds like too much to me. I can get the whole interior done without the carpet for $800 with that fake leather, which looks and feels almost as good. That's doors, kick panels, small headliner, and seats.

I'll ship mine out there. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 4331715)
it depends upon the quality of the work that he would perform. a lot can be hidden inside of an upholstered piece and there are lots that don't really have that sense of quality- only what it costs. it is always a good feeling that you know that you get whhat one pays for
he may rebuilt all of the springs inside and all new padding. is there anyone here who can speak to the quality of his work
it is just like many here who praise Alan's work and whole heartily so. what about the work that was done by that other fellow on 198plus's truck,not very good was it as we saw by the mess that done
just don't condemn someone by the price they charge because you can't pay the price or perhaps don't understand quality
we all do things blindly and trust people and alot of time the disappoint you
ron

Thanks for the input and you are right. The main reason I asked this question is too see what others are paying. Quality and price needs to be close to one another. I'll check out his work soon. I will also be checking around some more shops. Thanks again. ;)

I finaly got off my rear and did something. I welded in the fuel line panel inside the bed. Not all the way done yet. Still need to clean up the recessed corners. What a pain.

I also ordered the houndstooth last night.

I sprayed slick sand on the bed. There is still a lot of work to be done, but it is progress. I want to get it ready for a journey to my work. It will be easier there to disassymble the bed and paint it. Having extra hands will be nice.

The fuel door doesn't have any rubber cushions on it, that's why it doesn't look right.

Strodder 12-05-2010 12:08 PM

Lookin good Allan. My New Years resolution is to work only 4 days a week. The rest on my truck. I hope I can keep this one along with loosing weight. :rolleyes:

my67chevytruck 12-07-2010 08:54 AM

Nice progress Alan!

cl08 12-08-2010 10:41 AM

Alan, the guy my paint and body shop sends there upholstery jobs to costs way more than that (I KNOW THIS GUY IS VERY PROUD OF HIS WORK). But he has no competition around him and he does excellent work. He charged my buddy $2k for the 2 front buckets and back seat of his S-10 blazer, custom tweed two tone job. So your price seems about right if its good work. Just my input. I think no matter what you pay, in the end with houndstooth will be super sweet.

daverod 12-08-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4332236)
Lookin good Allan. My New Years resolution is to work only 4 days a week. The rest on my truck. I hope I can keep this one along with loosing weight. :rolleyes:

I'm liking the 4 days a week thing.:metal: I'm with ya Strodder.:sumo: I like the seat material Allan.;)

shortbed70 12-08-2010 03:59 PM

Dang I like the look of that smooth bed. I like the fuel door too.

66farmer 12-08-2010 08:37 PM

Alen
What kind of over spray are you getting in your shop when you spray primer.
I injoy watching your work.
Thanks

aggie91 12-08-2010 08:55 PM

Alan, I took my frame down to a local shop here, he wanted $400-$450 to rebuild the seat frame springs, new burlap, and a single color vinyl with only simple vertical pleats in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl08 (Post 4338287)
Alan, the guy my paint and body shop sends there upholstery jobs to costs way more than that (I KNOW THIS GUY IS VERY PROUD OF HIS WORK). But he has no competition around him and he does excellent work. He charged my buddy $2k for the 2 front buckets and back seat of his S-10 blazer, custom tweed two tone job. So your price seems about right if its good work. Just my input. I think no matter what you pay, in the end with houndstooth will be super sweet.

That wouldn't be Mike Brown of Mike's Trim Shop would it? He does top notch work there in Tyler.

Alan's Classic 12-08-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my67chevytruck (Post 4336153)
Nice progress Alan!

Thanks Man!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl08 (Post 4338287)

Thanks for the input. I haven't taken the time to do any more research on this yet, but I will do some shopping around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4338381)
I'm liking the 4 days a week thing.:metal: I'm with ya Strodder.:sumo: I like the seat material Allan.;)

Thanks Dave. I'd much rather work 3 12 hour days and off 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 4338747)
Dang I like the look of that smooth bed. I like the fuel door too.

Thanks, it's starting to take shape. I believe the bed has been more work than the cab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66farmer (Post 4339238)
Alen
What kind of over spray are you getting in your shop when you spray primer.
I injoy watching your work.
Thanks

Thanks for the comment. When spraying primer I don't get much overspray. Plus I open up the shop and turn the fans on and blow it out the door. I get more overspray spraying top coats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 4339277)
Alan, I took my frame down to a local shop here, he wanted $400-$450 to rebuild the seat frame springs, new burlap, and a single color vinyl with only simple vertical pleats in it.

Thanks Karl,

After a white knuckle ride taking my bed to work on a trailer mounted on the stand, I finally got there. I had that gut feeling that I shouldn't do it that day, but I powered through it and made it.

Today I got to start blocking on it. I started out with 120 on a long block. I normally try to start with 180, but had some areas that I thought would need another wipe. I guide coated it and worked on the outside of the LT bedside. When blocking I generally leave my body lines til the last.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/DSC03512.jpg

It's hard to explain how I block something this big. But here it goes. I start on one end of a panel. I pick an area of the same shape. For this example let's take the big part of the bedside where the fuel door is. I start sanding with my long block on an area as long as the block. Once I get the primer half gone in that area I start tappering it into the next section adjcent to where I'm sanding and start blending the two areas together. Once the 2nd area is half done the first area should be done. Then I repeat on down the panel. You can kind of see that description in the pic above and below.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/DSC03513.jpg

Done blocking with 120. Now I will guide coat and block with 180. Then reprime and block one more time with 180. Hopefully reprime and do my final sanding with 400.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/DSC03514.jpg

Here is an assortment of blocks and pads I used today. The soft pads work great in the sharp contours.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/DSC03515.jpg

Strodder 12-08-2010 11:25 PM

I never seen a round one like that. I like it.

198plus 12-09-2010 12:38 AM

Nice work Alan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4339560)
Thanks Man!!

Thanks for the input. I haven't taken the time to do any more research on this yet, but I will do some shopping around.

Thanks Dave. I'd much rather work 3 12 hour days and off 4.

Thanks, it's starting to take shape. I believe the bed has been more work than the cab.

Thanks for the comment. When spraying primer I don't get much overspray. Plus I open up the shop and turn the fans on and blow it out the door. I get more overspray spraying top coats.

Thanks Karl,

After a white knuckle ride taking my bed to work on a trailer mounted on the stand, I finally got there. I had that gut feeling that I shouldn't do it that day, but I powered through it and made it.

Today I got to start blocking on it. I started out with 120 on a long block. I normally try to start with 180, but had some areas that I thought would need another wipe. I guide coated it and worked on the outside of the LT bedside. When blocking I generally leave my body lines til the last.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/DSC03512.jpg

It's hard to explain how I block something this big. But here it goes. I start on one end of a panel. I pick an area of the same shape. For this example let's take the big part of the bedside where the fuel door is. I start sanding with my long block on an area as long as the block. Once I get the primer half gone in that area I start tappering it into the next section adjcent to where I'm sanding and start blending the two areas together. Once the 2nd area is half done the first area should be done. Then I repeat on down the panel. You can kind of see that description in the pic above and below.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/DSC03513.jpg

Done blocking with 120. Now I will guide coat and block with 180. Then reprime and block one more time with 180. Hopefully reprime and do my final sanding with 400.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/DSC03514.jpg

Here is an assortment of blocks and pads I used today. The soft pads work great in the sharp contours.

sdailey 12-09-2010 09:25 AM

Looking good buddy. Keep up the good work. Now you have to worry about the trip back home with it.:devil:

That lift comes in handy don't it?

65Custom 12-10-2010 10:47 PM

Wow I have not checked in awhile but great progress, looking good!!!

Alan's Classic 12-11-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4339598)
I never seen a round one like that. I like it.

The file board is Hookit 2 velcro and the 6" is Hookit 1 velcro

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 4339775)
Nice work Alan.

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 4340060)
Looking good buddy. Keep up the good work. Now you have to worry about the trip back home with it.:devil:

That lift comes in handy don't it?

Thanks Shannon!! The lift is very handy. It saves on the back and knees.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 4343007)
Wow I have not checked in awhile but great progress, looking good!!!

Thanks and thanks for checking in.

Had a lot of time at work yesterday since I was on hold for parts and insurance. That meant I got some blocking done. Nothing worth taking pics of. Just rest assured I'm sick and tired of blocking. :lol: I thought the bed would be easier than the cab.............I was mistaken. My right bedside is the better of the two sides, so it's not needing as much attention.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to paint it. I really want to leave the bedsides on the stand, but I need to paint the cross supports. Still thinking. Maybe someone local can loan me some junk cross bars. That way I could swap them out. Maybe I could just use some wood. Just thinking out loud. ;)

4dranch 12-11-2010 12:08 PM

Nice work Alan. Thanks for the information.

greg65 12-22-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4343573)
The file board is Hookit 2 velcro and the 6" is Hookit 1 velcro

:thumbs:

Thanks Shannon!! The lift is very handy. It saves on the back and knees.

Thanks and thanks for checking in.

Had a lot of time at work yesterday since I was on hold for parts and insurance. That meant I got some blocking done. Nothing worth taking pics of. Just rest assured I'm sick and tired of blocking. :lol: I thought the bed would be easier than the cab.............I was mistaken. My right bedside is the better of the two sides, so it's not needing as much attention.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to paint it. I really want to leave the bedsides on the stand, but I need to paint the cross supports. Still thinking. Maybe someone local can loan me some junk cross bars. That way I could swap them out. Maybe I could just use some wood. Just thinking out loud. ;)

I think Kevin (65custom) has an extra set of cross bars. That is if he still has them. Any new progress? The rest of us need motivation.:lol:

Alan's Classic 12-25-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 4365379)
I think Kevin (65custom) has an extra set of cross bars. That is if he still has them. Any new progress? The rest of us need motivation.:lol:

Thanks Greg, I will give him a shout. No progress since last post. Everytime I take a project to work, I get busy and can't work on it. Which is a good thing;) as far as paying bills. Does suck as far as making progress. Then caught a cold earlier this week. I'm about over it now.

Having our first white Christmas since the 1800's. It's been snowing since 10:00 this morning, but the temp was around 35. Got some accumillation and they expect more tonight. The family is loving it. Hope everyone has/had a Very Merry Christmas!! Hope Santa brought some truck parts to y'all, because none got dropped off here. :lol:

daverod 12-25-2010 08:37 PM

Allan any reason you put your bed together to paint it?:uhmk: Can't believe you have snow and we don't.