The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Project "Tracy Lee" 59 Apache (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=205030)

JIMBO59 02-04-2007 01:47 AM

Re: Project "Tracy Lee" 59 Apache

Tex, Ya Been Real Busy To I See. Ahh, Turquoise Blue Again. Seems Like Gm In 58 Got A Deal On That Color Paint. Every Other Person I Talk To Had That Color When They Found Their Truck. I Can See Why Gm Used It. Fresh Paint Always Stands Out. Did You Totally Disassemble The Bed For Painting Or Just Shoot The "box". My Ground Up Rebuild Is Coming Along. It Will Be A "brand New" 1959 Big Window When I Am Done.

Bishops Trucks 02-04-2007 01:51 AM

The truck is looking real good. I like that color!

pgf545 02-04-2007 09:17 AM

Tex, You may have a hard time finding a cast iron one at the parts atores anymore. They are mostly going to have the chrome ones. Try a junk yard. I use to have a bunch of those things but I don't know if I still do. If you can't find one let me know and I will look to see if I still have any.

Bernie

texascowboy593 02-04-2007 11:59 AM

Thx for the comments ya'll!
Jimbo- I pulled my bed off and then took the fenders off. Had to use a cutoff wheel on half of the bolts due to rust...But I think we have all dealt with that:lol: but yes, All 4 sides of the box were left together for paint.

Pfg- I thought a cast iron housing would be a little hard to find as well. O'reillys had just sold there last one but the girl said the other 2 stores in town had them in stock. Napa was closer for me, so I went over there and they had one for $15.00. I tell you I don't like those chrome housings!

BIshop- Thx for the input!

If I get to making the housing swap today, I'll post up to tell you how it went. Thx, J:)

1-ton of fun 02-05-2007 12:16 PM

that's funny, on my '55 bel air i had years ago, i used a chrome water neck with the o-ring seal to STOP a leak coming from a cast iron one with the paper gasket.

texascowboy593 02-19-2007 05:15 PM

UPDATE: My wife has given me the go-ahead to get a new steering column! (She's making more money than me right now) Where is a good place to buy one on-line? Where's the best deal, what length? (30 or 32 inch) should I get Ididit or Flaming River? Once I get it in, I can start tying in all the wiring and install that p/s upgrade that I've been sitting on. Work has been extremely slow. It's tied directly into the new housing market and when it slows down, so does my work:( .

Not long after the steering column is installed, I will head to the junkyard to find either a nice 60/40 bench or a couple of buckets to re-upholster. My wife is ready to get this thing going and driveable. I think she's tired of me looking sad everytime I go into the garage and not having the means to throw money at the truck. My 71 is starting to develop some problems and I need the 59 as a backup just in case.

Looks like the train is about to be back on the track!:metal:

texascowboy593 03-11-2007 08:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A little progress: Painted the tailgate and figured out the cowgirl sticker placement. The words "The Tracy Lee" will be to the left of the decal at an angle painted on by a pinstriper. I also mounted the radiator overflow can on the inner fender but I'm not sure if I like it there. There's pretty much no room in front of or beside the radiator:m6: I found a good deal on a Flaming River column. 32" ready for paint floor shift tilt for $265.00. I should be getting it either next week or the week after. Here's the pics!:metal:

Sam59 03-12-2007 04:40 PM

I'm digging the tailgate man!

texascowboy593 03-12-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam59 (Post 2071971)
I'm digging the tailgate man!

Thanks Bro!:cool:

Jebb1978 03-14-2007 10:45 AM

Look'n sharp Tex! I think the overflow looks fine.

texascowboy593 03-16-2007 06:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I finally got a good paycheck! My 1st 5 Day work week since before Christmas!!! I decided to congratulate myself by buying my steering column! It's a 32" paintable tilt Flaming River column. Over the course of the next 4-6 weeks, I plan on getting the other parts for getting the steering completed. Soon after that, I'll get a bench seat from the junkyard and get it re-upholstered and mounted up...Things are BACK ON TRACK!!!:metal:

BTW: I also had to buy a new fuel gauge to match up with the Blazer Tank sending unit. The gauge that comes installed in the Brothers panel is for the original in-cab fuel tank (0-30 ohms). I bought the 0-90 version for replacement. If anyone needs a 0-30 ohm gauge (pic below) post here or shoot me a PM... "Updates forthcoming as conditions warrant":)

texascowboy593 03-25-2007 08:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Picked up the p/s gearbox from a buddy of mine yesterday and just finished painting it to "freshen it up". I also pulled the old manual set-up out in preperation for the new Flaming River column that should be in Wednesday!:cool:

CAL 58 GMC 03-26-2007 02:29 PM

Cool! What's the steering box out of? I kinda like the black grass thing you got going!;)

texascowboy593 03-26-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC (Post 2094052)
Cool! What's the steering box out of? I kinda like the black grass thing you got going!;)

Don't know about the steering box. It was thrown in when I bought the truck and I forgot to ask the PO about it...BTW don't tell my wife about the black grass...It'll grow out and be cut in a couple of weeks...shhh;)

watahyahknow 03-26-2007 05:36 PM

spray some green over it noone will notice

Daniel U 03-27-2007 12:36 AM

:lol:

JIMBO59 03-27-2007 10:14 PM

Wow, Your Moving Along Quick With It Tex. Its Looking Great. Nice Choice Of Color. Mine Will Be Wild Cherry By House Of Color When We Get To That Point.lol

texascowboy593 03-29-2007 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBO59 (Post 2096819)
Wow, Your Moving Along Quick With It Tex. Its Looking Great. Nice Choice Of Color. Mine Will Be Wild Cherry By House Of Color When We Get To That Point.lol

That Wild Cherry will be killer!:metal:

Only had a little time to play today. Got the steering column yesterday afternoon. I was asleep when the UPS guy rang and knocked on the door B4 he took off. It made my dog angry and WOKE ME UP!!! That's the fun of working odd hours! I think it's gonna look great! I went ahead and got the wiring together for the column harness.

I hope to (time permitting) get the p/s box mounted on the frame rail Saturday. I still need to get a floor cover, 2 Borgeson joints, steering shaft and p/s pump brackets to complete the installation.

Boy I'm getting close now. All I need to get it inspected and street legal now is a bench seat, seatbelts and parking brake cables!!!:metal:

texascowboy593 04-08-2007 07:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a little more done today. I mounted the Saginaw steering box on the frame. The Borgeson joints, steering shaft, and floor plate have been ordered and should be here by Friday. I still need to buy the pump mounting bracket and hoses to complete the steering. Set the column in place just to get measurements, etc. Did a little more wiring as well. I have to take that a little at a time. Wires going every direction drive me crazy!:hm:

With a little luck and a few more dollars, I'll take her around the block for the 1st time in about 2-3 weeks!!! I'll shoot video of that and post it when the time comes!:metal:

pgf545 04-08-2007 07:18 PM

Hey Tex, what kind of brackets do you need? I might have some out in the garage. Let me know and I will look.

Bernie

texascowboy593 04-08-2007 07:30 PM

Hey pgf, I need a power steering pump bracket (Old Saginaw style) 350 Engine w/ Short water pump... Thats all I know how to describe it... I'm about to head out of town in the AM and wont be back til Thurs or Friday. If you have a match, Let me know and how much you want for it and we'll work something out...Thx, James:)

texascowboy593 05-21-2007 10:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, my goal is to get the truck done (pass inspection...not "finished") for the local car show on June 9th and 10th. I am waiting on 1 Flaming River steering joint and a March power steering pump bracket. Those should be here in 2-3 days. I might have a free seat in Oklahoma. The guy is supposed to call me later today to confirm. My wiring is 95% finished. All lights work except for the license plate light which I'll tackle in a few mins.

We had just put in new floors in the house (PICS HERE) so I have been tied up with the cash to finish her off.

Here's a couple of lighting pics:rolleyes:

GATORBUILT '59 05-21-2007 02:06 PM

Looking GOOD TEX

55ChevyPU 05-21-2007 04:04 PM

looks good

Igotachevyor2 05-21-2007 04:39 PM

looks great