The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   '72 Frame Up Rebuild (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=323444)

jaros44sr 10-09-2010 12:47 AM

Re: '72 Frame Up Rebuild

very nice fab work

roachface42 01-21-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoyote (Post 3342065)
Here's some pictures from today that I took with a camera.
The picture I posted yesterday was taken with my phone camera.

These look more orange.....the color is called "hugger orange" and I can get the code for you if you want but I think you can google it. It was a stock color in 1972.

It's a lot of orange right now but with front and rear MTO custom fabbed bumpers powder coated black, black rock sliders, black roll bar, black gauge cluster, black frame, black axles......I think when it's all bolted together it should look pretty good.....in fact.....I know it will ;-)

I had Evercoat shot on the entire bottom of the tub and fenders, inside all the seams and double coated all overlaps......that should stop it from rusting out in the next 37 years.

I have some pictures on page 1 of this thread of the body being pulled off.

There is a 4x4 shop down the road from my house that does all my work (MTO Suspension and Fabrication) and they are doing all the work on it except for the easy stuff that I can do (like painting the frame, axles ....stuff like that). MTO rocks....nothing those guys can't handle that I have found yet.

They used the lift to pull the body off the frame and Royce's Custom Auto is doing the paint and body work and they used a fork lift with long forks to stick through the windshield and you can see the straps they have bolted to the seat belt mounts. They put the body back on that way.

I'm not sure what the gas cap came off of, he had it so we used it. I wanted to get away from that elbow knocker ;-)

Anyway, here's some more pics.....I'll post more as more progress is made.

what did you use to move the old elbow knocker? trying to do the same

scoyote 01-21-2011 12:55 AM

Actually I replaced the fuel tank with a Northwest Products 37 gallon tank so the neck was relocated and I fabbed in a new one with a flexible fuel hose.

There is a thread here about some guys that moved it to the rear light just like a 56 chevy.

One guy here makes a kit that has the hinges and everything, it looks pretty cool.

I saw it after mine was done or I would have opted for that instead.

If you are interested in that you can probably find him on the For Sale board.

HuggerCST 02-25-2011 07:54 PM

Very nice!

madkmart 02-26-2011 05:40 PM

awesome build

scoyote 02-27-2011 01:24 PM

thanks for the kudos......it's still not done ..I guess they are NEVER done are they?

Bentblazer 02-28-2011 09:23 AM

Nice build! (They'll be done when we get put in a box)

scoyote 06-13-2011 11:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More progress on the rear bumper w/ tire carrier.

Goes to the sandblaster on Wednesday, then it's just painting and installing.

Gonna be nice to have a spare!

SleepyK5 06-14-2011 10:39 AM

Sweet looking K5! Good work man.

scoyote 06-22-2011 11:39 PM

Smoked some glass today ;-)

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on the lights.

I bought some LED's but didn't like the white look....same with the front blinkers.

Went to the hobby shop for some paint for a model airplane I'm working on and came across some smoke paint made specifically for the plastic cars and planes so it's fuel proof and all that stuff.

Sooooo.....I bought a can and "smoked" my lenses today.

Here is a side by side comparison before the install

scoyote 06-22-2011 11:41 PM

Smoked some glass today ;-)

2 Attachment(s)
Now I'll see how well it holds up but it's been my experience that these hobby paints are very tough......I'm not expecting any fading or peeling.

I like the look!

scoyote 06-23-2011 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the before photo

47thriftmaster 06-23-2011 12:50 AM

Definitely looks better, nice work.

Luba 07-01-2011 08:56 AM

Nice where did you get those LED's?

d.garza9 07-01-2011 03:46 PM

Really like the smoke look!! Where did you get the LED's??

scoyote 07-05-2011 10:32 AM

I bought those on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

There is a guy here that sells them but I couldn't seem to get his attention after repeated tries.....so I went to eBay.

They seem to be good quality.....so far.

d.garza9 07-06-2011 12:01 AM

Re: Smoked some glass today ;-)

What type of smoke paint did you use(brand-color)? I've looked all over and can't find anything remotely close to what I think you might have used.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

scoyote 07-06-2011 12:21 AM

It's a spray paint for plastics that is sold in hobby shops, it's usually for model cars that are used for racing events.

It's called "smoke".

I'm out of town so I can't give you the exact name..but it's from Japan or China....or course ;-)

It's a weird name......

If you will send me a PM to remind me I will send you the exact name/brand when I get back in town.

scoyote 09-10-2011 12:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Rear bumper fab and install finally complete.....MTO did a GREAT job of custom fab work! I dropped the tire down low because I don't like them sticking up like the jeeps do....I think it looks perfect!

my90k5 09-10-2011 03:37 PM

That tire looks sharp on the back of that truck, perfect height.
Posted via Mobile Device

72blazer_mud_bogger 09-10-2011 10:05 PM

can I see some pics of the bumper being built I am trying to do the same thing with mine, nice built btw

scoyote 01-05-2012 11:31 PM

New seats - need some measurements please

5 Attachment(s)
I'm taking out those 2004 chevy seats, it was just too crowded on the roll bar and I had to shim the seats crooked after I padded the roll bar....so...they are gone.

Now I have another issue....of course

I put in the original seat brackets and when I put the seat on top of them it just seems way to high off the floor.

These are seats from a 2001 Jeep Wrangler. They are comfortable and 4 inches narrower than the chevy seats. Plus I might be able to make the original passenger seat brackets work for a fold up entry again....that would be nice.

I've got right at 15 inches to the top of the seat at the front of the seat and 13 inches at the back of the seat (where the butts is)

What is factory height or a "comfortable" seat height?

I can cut down the factory bracket braces and weld a piece to them (gotta put something across there to carry the jeep seat anyway) and right now that seems like what I'm going to have to do.

Sure wish I didn't paint them first......dang....seem to do almost everything twice most of the time.....sigh

Can someone help me out with some numbers please?

(adding a couple photos of the "new" interior.....redid the door panels and added something at the kick panels)

jaros44sr 01-05-2012 11:39 PM

i can give you what a utility seat measures at when i get home tonight. im 6' it it feels comfortable with my seats

scoyote 01-05-2012 11:52 PM

That would be great. I'm 6' tall also so if it's a comfortable height for you it should work for me too.

jaros44sr 01-06-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoyote (Post 5104640)
That would be great. I'm 6' tall also so if it's a comfortable height for you it should work for me too.

12" and 10" directly above the mounting holes, to the floor

dont forget my mounting holes are about 15" apart for the utility seats

youre about 3" to tall on your mount