The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   1990 GMC Suburban ... Cummins Powered (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=411609)

thirdstreettito 08-29-2011 09:23 AM

Re: 1990 GMC Suburban ... Cummins Powered

How far in from the ends? I have a spoiler and roof rack I want to take off and weld up the holes.

greguw 08-29-2011 12:22 PM

Looks like its double from the jam up to about 6 inches then it goes to single layer ... you can get the all the wholes to weld them ... I welded all the screw holds on the ribs but then re-enforced all the mount points for the rack with 3/16 plates that are connected to the ribs .
If you look in the previous page there is a pick of the inside of the roof and you can see where the double ends .
I'm also going to apply more sealant to the rib roof area .

WarBeard 08-29-2011 09:47 PM

I just posted a video of what the burb roof looks like.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...65#post4871465

greguw 08-30-2011 06:26 AM

Great buddy , love the Camo , my headline is a mess and was kicking around the whole industrial look but either going the ABS plastic one or is I can find aluminum sheet wide enough I have access to a sheet metal shop with shears and brakes I may pattern off my old tattered one and go aluminum .

WarBeard 08-30-2011 11:29 AM

To bad your not closer My headliner is in perfect condition. I just like the stripped Shipping container look!

Mr. 250r 08-31-2011 02:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For the headliner incase you wanted a much cheaper route than the abs is like mine i just took broom and sweep it off the old glue comes off easy and i had a vinyl roof which was already basically fallen off then took it to an interior guy paid 40$ for both pieces and picked the closest blue i could find to my interior, just a thought though

greguw 09-06-2011 06:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Found some time over the holiday weekend to start laying out the roof rack ... getting the main deck rails in place . It's a little over kill but by the time I get offroad lights on the front and 42" spare on top should be just right .
Its going to have 1/8 diamond plate aluminum on the deck and going to do a rail above the the deck also .
Ran out of stainless fasteners so I will order some more today keep on picking at it .

WarBeard 09-06-2011 12:38 PM

What is that roof rack material called? Where do you get it and cost?

Since I moved here my shop and 99% of my tools are 200 miles away and I like that the stuff you have just bolts together since I don't have my welder.

The roof rack I want will hang over the windshield a little bit and hold some lights upside down and possibly some lesser lights on the side and back.

greguw 09-06-2011 01:45 PM

Its a structural framing system ... I use it from building frames for machines but is great from a roof rack ...
The aluminum is pretty cheap it self , its when you get into the brackets and hardware is when it ads up .
http://www.mcmaster.com/#structural-...ystems/=dy31fd
I'm doing 1/8 aluminum as a deck on top of that and going with a side railing and mount brackets on the front of the rack for offroad lighting .
That rack is over 8ft long and dose not look it .

greguw 09-21-2011 06:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Been busy with work and family stuff but have made progress on the roof area . I got most of the new rack finished up have some finishing touches to like the black in-cert that goes in the middle of the aluminum track .
The top deck is 1/8 aluminum diamond plate ... should be pretty strong .
Still have to add some more sealant between the ribs and roof for some added support , don't think GM had me in mind when they designed the roof ...LOL
It is pretty industrial looking , I also have installed adjustable mounts on the front and rear for offroad lights and CB antenna .
You can see behind the sub 2 tread plate rails ... there the future running boards , just have to make up some mounts and cut them down a little .
Also finished the rain gutters , they were blasted and painted , for some reason gm never sealed the inside edge where all the rust would start . I used a white sealer and just but a nice coat to keep the water out ... can't even see it .
Next will be the body panels but might install all the new window regulator motors first .

greguw 10-05-2011 07:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm into the body work now so its not that exciting , once I make some progress getting the body stripped down and new primer I will get some pic's up .
Seems like everyone likes the new roof rack including the shop cat .

CowboyProtectionUnit 10-05-2011 03:55 PM

Dude Love The Build!!!! Wish I had Your Talent....... I'm Getting There...

Dieselwrencher 10-05-2011 06:25 PM

Great job on the roof rack. It's awesome!

greguw 10-31-2011 06:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys ... The Build is still alive and I have been picking at the truck , got the truck all stripped down and just finished epoxy primering the tailgate on saturday .
I have do some final blocking of areas on the panels and then get it prepped for the paint process .
I'm pretty impressed that the whole truck only took less than 1 quart of all metal and that was for small dents and the roof was the worst of it .
I also cleaned and prepped the insides of the door boxes and took Por-15 and a squeeze bottle and put a nice bead of the paint down the inside of the seam ... just enough to seal out any chance of rust down the road ... stuff worked great and just put enough but not close up the end drains in the doors .
I still have to decide on the flares , I have bought the best flares in my opinion ... Xenon flares are great compared to the crappy bushwacker junk .
I'm going to decide if I am going to cut in the area around the wells and the then mount the flares to be painted with them in place so there is no chance of them being stressed and paint peeling over time and I think that is going to be the best way .
I also just ordered the last of the finish parts , mostly seals and gaskets . I still have to track down some headliner material and my buddy owns a glass company so I will have him out for a few beers while we install at new windshield .

Davidmichael 10-31-2011 10:56 AM

For the flares, just add a flex additive to the paint. cheap insurance IMO.

iroc12valve 11-11-2011 07:06 PM

Updates PLEASE !!!! this is an amazing build thread
better quality than extreme 4x4 would have done

p.s. if you ever want to sell il give you everything I own as trade

Dieselwrencher 11-11-2011 08:50 PM

Greg, it's looking great!

Mr Pops 11-12-2011 01:12 PM

The shop cat just had an idea!:lol:

WarBeard 11-12-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pops (Post 5005507)
The shop cat just had an idea!:lol:

:lol: That's funny right there!!!!

1985-GMC 11-14-2011 11:36 PM

Sweet burb, that thing is massive!

greguw 11-16-2011 07:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I did get a chance to do some painting ... Looks ok for a go truck ... I have moved on to the jams , and start putting her back together . I'm going to hold off on the seats I just want to get the truck on the road and I need a break .
I have a commercial consew sewing machine forsale so I am trying to work a trade out for a shop to redue my seats and they get the machine , so will see how that goes .
Only parts I have to paint are the new Cowl induction hood and the cowl vent .
I had a few sliders and they seemed to sand out ... I'm going to let all the paint harden up for a few weeks then knock everything down and wheel it up then all my glass can go in .

Dieselwrencher 11-16-2011 11:18 AM

Greg, it looks sweet! Nice job!

greguw 11-16-2011 12:40 PM

Thanks Buddy , its not bad for a in the middle of the shop paint job ... Now I have to come up with a strip combination after I rub the truck ... I was looking at my 96 cummins and it has a dark aqua with a light aqua and that looks pretty good .

y5mgisi 11-16-2011 07:32 PM

Looks real nice! About the stripe, is it to separate the silver from the black? I think the light/dark aqua would look real good! Also, are you leaving the roof white?

1985-GMC 11-16-2011 09:20 PM

It looks pretty darn good man!

A white stripe would look good.