The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Lost My 65 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=426650)

monolith 02-02-2012 02:13 PM

Re: Lost My 65

I really hope you get the truck back. You'll have a GREAT story to tell(already do), you'll get a chance to fall in love with the truck all over again, and you'll get a chance to improve the truck to be absolutely perfect for you! You can find the missing parts-maybe even get some great deals as you set about freshening the truck up. Enjoy! Few of us ever recatch "the one that got away!"
Posted via Mobile Device

LostMy65 02-02-2012 02:30 PM

Top on the list:

#1; get that soggy carpet up and let that floor dry.
#2; give her a good cleaning.
#3; get those bumpers back right side up.
#4; park her under cover and get my 66 back together.
Posted via Mobile Device

LostMy65 02-02-2012 02:31 PM

Thanks to the Moderators for merging these two threads.
Posted via Mobile Device

jeffg1010 02-02-2012 02:39 PM

Cool story. Congrats. I've asked my dad about a few of his that got away through the years. I'd love to track them down. :)

Rich 5150 69 02-02-2012 04:41 PM

Cool dude, I know sinse you joined up here you been looking, all your work has paid off.;)

markeb01 02-02-2012 08:32 PM

What a great outcome. So few ever get the chance to reclaim part of their personal automotive history like this. Looking forward to whatever you decide to do next.

joedoh 02-02-2012 08:51 PM

holy crap congrats!

I have the very ysr50 I rode around like a moron when I was just a teenager, I tracked it down 12 years later and have been sitting on it for another 8. I wouldnt sell it for anything! I know where you come from!

pope 02-02-2012 08:54 PM

So are you gonna change your name to FoundMy65 ?! :lol: Too cool!

csa daddy 02-02-2012 10:00 PM

Glad your getting it back I know the feeling I had a 55 2nd series truck got it when I was 15 got rid of it a stumbled up on it one day an got it back for a cb radio
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 02-03-2012 01:24 AM

I'm glad to hear you are going to get your '65 back. You won't regret it.

Tell your wife you certainly can haul a ton of pellets in that truck........just have to make 2 trips :lol:

scottofksu 02-03-2012 09:32 AM

Been keeping my eyes out for a set of Buddy Buckets in your area... Are these like what you are looking for?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...829094876.html

66-PMD-GMC 02-03-2012 11:18 AM

Thats freaking great!!!! :metal:
I am glad you got/getting it.....
And if you come up having to sell one... let me know... :lol:
My wife isnt as understanding as yours especially since I have 4 trucks already... Keep her too!

bigdlb12 02-03-2012 12:31 PM

wow cool story man, I am new here, but it sounds like you found your baby again

I still have mine, my 1978 cutlass

Added to the family is my dads which is now mine 1960 Chevy Apache stepside short

congrats again, any running vehicle for $1000 is a deal, let alone one that use to be yours and has value

LostMy65 02-03-2012 02:11 PM

Yes, I'm very excited.
And he's also excited about me getting her back.

He took her to his mechanic to see about an electrical matter. He wants it right before he sends her home with me. He is a really nice guy. He wanted to restore her, but his health and finances went down hill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Woogeroo 02-03-2012 02:19 PM

Congratulations... and remember; there is a fine line between mental illness and hobby.

he he he...

:lol:

-W

LostMy65 02-03-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottofksu (Post 5163597)
Been keeping my eyes out for a set of Buddy Buckets in your area... Are these like what you are looking for?

Thanks for the concern.
I do appreciate it.
The buddy buckets will be a long ways down on my to do list.
Posted via Mobile Device

pdxhall 02-03-2012 05:45 PM

Re: What is this Truck?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Str8axle (Post 5161517)
You know, you're gonna have to change your user name to "FoundMy65" now......

And to add to that, you need to change that frowny face on the forum directory to a big smile. :two:

chevy_man5 02-03-2012 05:55 PM

You could just change your user title from "Senior Member" to "But Now I Found it!" :metal:

LostMy65 02-03-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 5164464)
You could just change your user title from "Senior Member" to "But Now I Found it!" :metal:

That's a good idea.
I'll do that.
Posted via Mobile Device

LostMy65 02-05-2012 03:47 AM

Bought her and drove her home today.

The Brakes need help, and possibly the clutch needs adjusting.
Otherwise, she's in rather good shape mechanically and could be driven daily.

Cosmetically; you've seen the worst as I posted above.
First thing I did was crawl underneath with a flashlight and check over the condition of the metal. I was pleasantly surprised of how good of shape the rear fenders, inside and out were. The bed wood has been replaced with a full piece of diamond plate steel - Pretty practical I'd say - I can work with that. Tailgate is very straight.

Moving on to the front;
The front fenders are rotted where they all rot - bottom rear corner. Otherwise straight and good metal. Hood is straight - no bondo. It has some small portions of rot at the bottom rear corners and couple tiny spots at the front lip. Inner fenders are straight and clean.

The Cab:
Again, the metal is really clean. Even the floors - only some real small area of surface rust on the passenger side in that usual spot.
Crawling under the cab reveals that there is no rot through anywhere. Even the cab supports are clean. Cab corners are just barely starting to show some rot. The rockers; I was also pleasantly surprised.

The older man I bought it from said he bought it from his neighbor who had it stored in his garage since the early to mid 90's until around 2003. :)

I took some pictures, but they came out crummy because of bad lighting.
I'll get some better pics and post them.

The 327 engine has very few miles on the rebuild, and is also very clean.
Edelbrock Manifold and 1406 Carb. Another big plus is the MSD HEI Ignition.
Discouragingly, It only has the driver's side of the 2-1/2 in dia collector Ram's Horns I had on it - somebody replaced the passenger's with the 2". Also, the 62 shroud is gone.
Overall, I'm happy with what's under the hood.

The most discouraging as I mentioned before, is the buddy buckets are gone.
If "My" buddy buckets were still there, the joy would be complete. But I'll live.
The bench appears to be the correct bench for our trucks. - Again, I'll get some pics.

He had the rubber for the front windshield replaced, and put in a new rear window with rubber. Oh yeah, he put in a new gas tank too. I almost forgot; Rear Air Shocks.

I'd like to thank everyone again for the support and encouragement to not let her get away again. As I crawled underneath near the engine compartment, I saw a memory - a bracket my uncle welded on the frame for my clutch linkage, and I felt a lump in my heart :)
I know as I dig into her more I'll find more memories.

I worked all summer with my dad and he bought me this truck.
My Grandpa helped me build this truck. My Uncle and Cousin Mike also. And my brother-in-law helped hugely with getting it back on the road. And my sister for letting me store it at her house for almost 2 years while I was 18 and low on funds.

-Robert :chevy:

LostMy65 02-05-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottofksu (Post 5163597)

Mine looked just like these, except mine were blue. :D
http://i41.tinypic.com/2re42z6.jpg

Here is the best pic I have of mine:
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...cabbuckets.jpg

Greg63 02-05-2012 09:38 AM

How far away from you was it when you found it?
Now that you have it, it would be cool to track it's movements from your selling it to your buying it.
Greg.

LostMy65 02-05-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg63 (Post 5167524)
How far away from you was it when you found it?
Now that you have it, it would be cool to track it's movements from your selling it to your buying it.
Greg.

It was about an hour drive from where I live and sold it.
I was thinking the same thing about tracking its history from when I sold it, to when I got it back.
I'll get in contact with his neighbor and that will get me as far back as around 8 years from when I sold it. Then I'll see if that neighbor remembers who he bought it from. It may be the girl from Napa Auto. I may even find out who got rid of my buddy buckets. Then I can chew them out royal. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

niterider65 02-05-2012 10:04 PM

Man thats cool :cong: on finding your truck .. so now you got two projects going now.. which one to work on now :metal: Cant wait to see the pics ..

Bill :chevy:

sigshooter 02-05-2012 10:26 PM

Glad you bought it back, I had a 64 that I had almost completed, and hard times hit and I was forced to sell it. The guy I sold it to never did anything to it and it sat under a shed of a barn for 15 years. I was able to buy it back last year..... most of it had rusted and seized up and was in poor shape. The completely rebuilt engine and trans were fine, and a pickup load of new parts were stored inside an old U Hual trailer so they were ok. I regreted selling the truck all those years I didn't own it and I am so thankful I was able to buy it back.

I am sure you will be too, you made the right call