The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Just an Old Truck" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=517235)

C10_ustacould 07-05-2012 10:55 PM

Re: Project "Just an Old Truck"

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5471124)
Tweak the hose at the ball joint nut.
Every set of drop spindles I have ever installed required it.
It's normal.

What would I do without you guys! Oh yea, I'd sit around counting all my money cause I wouldn't be spending any on truck parts! lol

Seriously, thanks for all of the help you all provide. It is much appreciated!

67c10rustbuket 07-06-2012 12:33 AM

Great job on the build and lots of good info too. Love the engine and wish I had one of those:metal:

C10_ustacould 07-06-2012 11:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As was suggested to me, I bent the metal portion of my front brake hoses to help them clear the spindle and ball joint nut. I still need to get banjo bolts, the ones I have are too big for some reason, but I think this will work...

C10_ustacould 07-07-2012 11:01 PM

Thanks to Hart_Rod the front brake hoses are complete, he came through with the correct banjo bolts. :metal: I will bleed and leak check them in the morning. One more thing off the list!

Also worked on engine and gauge wiring today. :whine: Just have to keep plugging away at that...

C10_ustacould 07-11-2012 06:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Need a little motivation, so I was going through old pics. Found one of the ride I had in High School, also a '68 but of the Camaro kind. The first is from around 1991, and the second is from 1998-99... good times! Okay, enough of that, I'm going out to work on my truck!

C10_ustacould 07-24-2012 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Waiting for some parts to come in, so to combat the boredom I had a friend make an adjustment in wheel color... what do you think?

Hart_Rod 07-24-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5503315)
Waiting for some parts to come in, so to combat the boredom I had a friend make an adjustment in wheel color... what do you think?

Bravo!!!!

NewType72 07-24-2012 08:54 PM

love it!! great choice

VA72C10 07-24-2012 09:25 PM

very nice!

jb1016 07-24-2012 10:18 PM

Looks awesome just like that...I would leave the trim rings off.

Low Elco 07-24-2012 10:27 PM

^^^^this. Looks tight!
Posted via Mobile Device

C10_ustacould 07-24-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb1016 (Post 5503759)
Looks awesome just like that...I would leave the trim rings off.

I think you are right, no trim rings for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcbassin 07-24-2012 10:33 PM

Awesome Camaro!
Posted via Mobile Device

C10_ustacould 07-28-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5503787)
Awesome Camaro!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, it was a fun car! Completely street legal, I drove it to work on Fridays.

68 Four on the Floor 07-28-2012 12:59 PM

Liking the wheel color..

shawno72 07-28-2012 01:54 PM

Looking really good....

tsali39 07-28-2012 02:37 PM

Truck sits well, I like the silver wheels better. Trim rings may fix this!

C10_ustacould 07-30-2012 06:02 AM

Not much completed over the weekend other than the drive shaft. It was just way too hot... I did order a new engine management harness from PSI this morning, we'll see if that helps the progress any. lol

C10_ustacould 08-15-2012 09:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Updates:
- Brakes filled, bled, and leak checked... so far so good.
- New harness is laid out and I am currently building an ECM mount for under the dash in the glove box area.
- Radiator is mounted, but I have yet to get hoses.
- Trying to figure out what to do with for the air intake system...

That is where I am, I'll give another update as soon as I complete more. Until then here are a few pics of the harness pass through.

Portmod7 08-16-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5541005)
here are a few pics of the harness pass through.

I'm about to do this myself, and was wondering how I was going to get a tight fitting grommet/hole in the firewall and still be able to get my connections on each end of the harness through it.

Yours came out very nice. Did you manage to get a completed harness through that hole, or did you put the wiring through before you put connectors on your harness?

I've tried looking for "reducer grommets" (for lack of a better term), but haven't really had much luck. I also thought of sliding a grommet over the wire bundle before I built the harness, making a large hole in the firewall, and then making a sheet metal cover to reduce the big firewall hole to the small grommet. That way I could still pull the whole harness down the road without any cutting.

I really like your truck by the way. The spirit of my build is very similar. :chevy:

C10_ustacould 08-16-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portmod7 (Post 5542001)
I'm about to do this myself, and was wondering how I was going to get a tight fitting grommet/hole in the firewall and still be able to get my connections on each end of the harness through it.

Yours came out very nice. Did you manage to get a completed harness through that hole, or did you put the wiring through before you put connectors on your harness?

I've tried looking for "reducer grommets" (for lack of a better term), but haven't really had much luck. I also thought of sliding a grommet over the wire bundle before I built the harness, making a large hole in the firewall, and then making a sheet metal cover to reduce the big firewall hole to the small grommet. That way I could still pull the whole harness down the road without any cutting.

I really like your truck by the way. The spirit of my build is very similar. :chevy:

It wasn't too bad getting the harness through. The hole is 2" and the grommet slides on the main trunk of the harness. It helps to have another person to pull as you feed it through. The harness from PSI is meant to be fed from inside the cab into the engine compartment. The harness was $499 plus shipping and was worth every penny in my opinion.

Any pics of your truck here on the board?

Portmod7 08-16-2012 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5542122)
It wasn't too bad getting the harness through. The hole is 2" and the grommet slides on the main trunk of the harness. It helps to have another person to pull as you feed it through. The harness from PSI is meant to be fed from inside the cab into the engine compartment. The harness was $499 plus shipping and was worth every penny in my opinion.

Any pics of your truck here on the board?

Thanks for the info! I'm using a FAST throttle body, and building a MegaSquirt ECU and harness to control it.

No pics yet, I'm trying to get it finished up so I can get some pictures. Hopefully by the end of the year. This is how she sits right now, plus hubs, brakes, and sound deadening inside the cab.

Keep up the good work!

C10_ustacould 08-18-2012 04:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A little more progress so far today. Been working on the ECM mount, it's a bit crude but should work just fine. This sequence shows from when I started until the final test fit, just have to scuff and paint it.

C10_ustacould 08-18-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portmod7 (Post 5542223)
Thanks for the info! I'm using a FAST throttle body, and building a MegaSquirt ECU and harness to control it.

No pics yet, I'm trying to get it finished up so I can get some pictures. Hopefully by the end of the year. This is how she sits right now, plus hubs, brakes, and sound deadening inside the cab.

Keep up the good work!

Man, I like that blue and white. Keep us updated with a build thread!

C10_ustacould 08-18-2012 07:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ECM mount painted and installed, Entropy fan relays and fuses installed...