The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=367260)

Captainfab 01-23-2012 02:38 AM

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

With 15" wheels, you will have to stay with 12" rotors. If you convert the rear to discs, that will add 3/16"-1/4" to each side to the overall axle width.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick copper (Post 5138276)
Thanks Slow Build! Very helpful to know. So for what I'm talking about wanting to do the CPP modular spindles will be my best option. They will still push out my track width 3/4" on each side. But it's only that little bit and wayy less than other spindles. I think I can live with that, and looks like I can keep my wheels! :D

Couple more questions for you guys.
1. To run my 15" wheels will I need to run the 12" rotors or can I go with the 13"?
2. If I wanted to go 4 wheel discs (add discs in the rear) Would that affect wheel spacing and how much?
Thanks guys, sorry to be a bother. I'm sure all this has been covered before at some point. Just wanna get my facts straight for when I do all this. :)

slick copper 01-23-2012 06:02 AM

I can live with 12's. I'll just go with the drilled/slotted ones. And BIG thanks for all the info guys. That'll work on the rears. Guess I will upgrade to rear too that'll give me that little extra to compensate for the front. :)

Captainfab 01-24-2012 01:11 AM

Let me know if you are interested in one of my rear disc brake conversions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick copper (Post 5140290)
I can live with 12's. I'll just go with the drilled/slotted ones. And BIG thanks for all the info guys. That'll work on the rears. Guess I will upgrade to rear too that'll give me that little extra to compensate for the front. :)

slick copper 01-24-2012 05:47 AM

I will! It'll be a little bit though. Gotta get this drop finished, and then get the tranny rebuilt. Brakes will be after that!

LostMy65 02-06-2012 01:01 AM

My 66 is a 3/4 ton, but the booster/master cylinder is from a 79 1/2 4x4.
Should I try and find a booster & master cylinder off a 3/4 ton, or will I be fine?

Captainfab 02-06-2012 01:09 AM

Some of the master cylinders on the 3/4 tons will be different than a 1/2 ton master, depending on the factory brake package. If your front calipers have the 2-15/16" bore, you can likely get away with that '79 K10 booster and master. If you have the 3-5/32" bore calipers, I would suggest a appropriate master. The masters will interchange with boosters regardless of 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, at least with pre '99 trucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 5169486)
My 66 is a 3/4 ton, but the booster/master cylinder is from a 79 1/2 4x4.
Should I try and find a booster & master cylinder off a 3/4 ton, or will I be fine?

LostMy65 02-06-2012 12:57 PM

Does this look like a 3-5/32 bore or a 2-15/16?
The front end was off a 79 1-ton.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMAG0783.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMAG0775.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMAG0779.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMAG0776.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5169500)
Some of the master cylinders on the 3/4 tons will be different than a 1/2 ton master, depending on the factory brake package. If your front calipers have the 2-15/16" bore, you can likely get away with that '79 K10 booster and master. If you have the 3-5/32" bore calipers, I would suggest a appropriate master. The masters will interchange with boosters regardless of 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, at least with pre '99 trucks.

Captainfab 02-07-2012 01:11 AM

Ok, that does make a difference since you have a C30 front suspension and brakes. The 30 series trucks used an entirely different style caliper, with a bore that I believe may be bigger than 3-5/32". Is your 14 bolt from the same truck? I would definitely go with a master cylinder for a '79 SRW C30.

LostMy65 02-07-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5171798)
Ok, that does make a difference since you have a C30 front suspension and brakes. The 30 series trucks used an entirely different style caliper, with a bore that I believe may be bigger than 3-5/32". Is your 14 bolt from the same truck? I would definitely go with a master cylinder for a '79 SRW C30.

I think the 14 bolt was just a 3/4 ton.

Can I atleast run the booster and master cylinder from the 1/2 ton suburban until I find a setup from a C30?
Posted via Mobile Device

padresag 02-07-2012 03:17 PM

like the Capt states one should use the appropriate master. once you install the smaller master and perhaps find out that you can get away with it; it will never get changed. then one day you will need all that brake and find that you don't have it. someone then gets hurt( I am just making a general statement, not you personally, but if the shoe fits!!)
but I would just check if there was any difference in the master cyls. the one(m/c) on my
1 ton doesn't look any different from the others but may have a bigger bore. I know that the w/cyl are a good size larger. one would think that a vehicle wit a much greater GVW would have a larger total braking capacity.
ron

LostMy65 02-07-2012 06:00 PM

Good points.
Thanks.

Thanks to Captain, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 5172712)
like the Capt states one should use the appropriate master. once you install the smaller master and perhaps find out that you can get away with it; it will never get changed. then one day you will need all that brake and find that you don't have it. someone then gets hurt( I am just making a general statement, not you personally, but if the shoe fits!!)
but I would just check if there was any difference in the master cyls. the one(m/c) on my
1 ton doesn't look any different from the others but may have a bigger bore. I know that the w/cyl are a good size larger. one would think that a vehicle wit a much greater GVW would have a larger total braking capacity.
ron

Posted via Mobile Device

LostMy65 02-07-2012 08:29 PM

Okay, I located a Master Cylinder off a 1 ton.
Did you say I'd be fine with the 1/2 ton booster off my 79 Suburban 4x4 donor?

Thanks for all the help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5169500)

Posted via Mobile Device

padresag 02-07-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 5173330)
Okay, I located a Master Cylinder off a 1 ton.
Did you say I'd be fine with the 1/2 ton booster off my 79 Suburban 4x4 donor?

Thanks for all the help.

don't see why not. it is just a booster. my 1 ton doesn't have one, just push

ron

LostMy65 02-07-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 5173423)
don't see why not. it is just a booster. my 1 ton doesn't have one, just push

ron

That makes sense.
Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 02-08-2012 01:56 AM

The '79 1/2 ton booster should work just fine with a 1 ton master. Just double check the bask side of the piston to make sure they are the same depth. The 1 tons typically come with hydroboost.

rudy350 02-12-2012 07:12 PM

hey captainfab good avise your giving us.. this week i wanna go parts shopping.. you seen my 1965 gmc truck long bed 6 lug drum all around. has a 350 sbc ..

ok i decided to stay 6 lug but i want disk in the front and reliable stoping power what donor do i need that will come close to a direct bolt on ?? what do i need to look for? would really appriciate ur help

rudy350 02-12-2012 07:13 PM

ive been reading alot do i need a complete c-member too ??

rudy350 02-12-2012 07:17 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=15017

LostMy65 02-12-2012 07:29 PM

I also want to keep 6-Lug, and I don't want to widen the width the 73-87 swap causes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 02-13-2012 12:57 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the CPP modular spindles keep the narrower track width.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 5183992)
I also want to keep 6-Lug, and I don't want to widen the width the 73-87 swap causes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 02-13-2012 01:02 AM

You just need the parts from a '71-'87 C10 with the 1.25" rotors. Then you will have to buy the aftermarket 6 lug rotors. You don't have to swap the entire suspension with the crossmember. Although that is a quick and easy way to make the conversion, but only if the engine is out. Of course that also depends on if the donor suspension is in driveable condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudy350 (Post 5183951)
hey captainfab good avise your giving us.. this week i wanna go parts shopping.. you seen my 1965 gmc truck long bed 6 lug drum all around. has a 350 sbc ..

ok i decided to stay 6 lug but i want disk in the front and reliable stoping power what donor do i need that will come close to a direct bolt on ?? what do i need to look for? would really appriciate ur help

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudy350 (Post 5183953)
ive been reading alot do i need a complete c-member too ??

LostMy65 02-13-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5184865)

That's the route I'm considering.

I was wondering though, if there was a complete front crossmember from a newer generation truck that doesn't increase the track width?

Captainfab 02-13-2012 01:16 AM

The only front suspension that is an easy swap is the '71-'87's......and they are the wider track width. The '88-'98's are wider yet, plus are a completely different design. I'm not sure just what the track width is when using the '88-'98 spindles on the earlier control arms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 5184900)
That's the route I'm considering.

I was wondering though, if there was a complete front crossmember from a newer generation truck that doesn't increase the track width?

LostMy65 02-13-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5184913)
The only front suspension that is an easy swap is the '71-'87's......and they are the wider track width. The '88-'98's are wider yet, plus are a completely different design.

Okay.

Thank you for all the help you provide in these forums.

rudy350 02-13-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5184913)
The only front suspension that is an easy swap is the '71-'87's......and they are the wider track width. The '88-'98's are wider yet, plus are a completely different design. I'm not sure just what the track width is when using the '88-'98 spindles on the earlier control arms.

so does that means the donor truck front c-member will make my wheel stick out farther out, right??:bomb:

also wen i do the swap with the donor i use its upper and lower a arms correct. what about my breaking (brake buster,master cyl) will i need the one from the donor? and captain fab will ur master cylinder braket and power sterring braket work on my truck??:bann:

Darkrider 02-14-2012 01:41 AM

Ok Im def gonna go about it with the C2500LD brake rotors i have a couple questions:

1: when looking at aftermarket spindles am i looking for ones for 1 inch or 1 1/4 rotors? I have seen both on the site i would be ordering from, Just want to make sure i would have the right ones for using the factory 6 lug rotors from the 88+ 6 lug 2500s

2: Will the control arms from a C30 from the 73-87 model trucks work? I have a line on a pair from the same 1 ton im getting the 6.2 Diesel from for my project.

Captainfab 02-14-2012 02:05 AM

No the front crossmember is not wider. As far as I know the increased width is in the spindle and rotor dimensions.

As for the upper and lower control arms, you can use either. If you use your originals, you will have to change the ball joints. I prefer to use the '73-'87 control arms with the rubber bushings. Yes you will need the mastercylinder and the proportioning valve from the donor. Yes my power steering adapter plate and booster bracket will work on your truck. However, the '73-'87 booster is not compatable with the '73-'87 booster. You will have to use one of the boosters listed in the for sale thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudy350 (Post 5186508)
so does that means the donor truck front c-member will make my wheel stick out farther out, right??:bomb:

also wen i do the swap with the donor i use its upper and lower a arms correct. what about my breaking (brake buster,master cyl) will i need the one from the donor? and captain fab will ur master cylinder braket and power sterring braket work on my truck??:bann:

Captainfab 02-14-2012 02:11 AM

You will need spindles for the 1-1/4" rotors.

As far as I know the C30 lower control arms should work. If you want to verify before purchasing the control arms, go to the parts store and compare the '88-'98 lower ball joints with the C30 lower ball joints. See of the part that presses into the control arm is the same.

When you determine if they will work or not, please post back here so the rest of us will know. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkrider (Post 5187221)
Ok Im def gonna go about it with the C2500LD brake rotors i have a couple questions:

1: when looking at aftermarket spindles am i looking for ones for 1 inch or 1 1/4 rotors? I have seen both on the site i would be ordering from, Just want to make sure i would have the right ones for using the factory 6 lug rotors from the 88+ 6 lug 2500s

2: Will the control arms from a C30 from the 73-87 model trucks work? I have a line on a pair from the same 1 ton im getting the 6.2 Diesel from for my project.

LostMy65 02-14-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5184865)

If I go that route, I'll probably get drop spindles and 6-lug rotors:
http://www.performanceonline.com/FRO...10-TRUCK-8600/

Darkrider 02-14-2012 04:49 AM

Thanks for the info. Im assuming i could verify this by checking to see if by any chance the C20 and C30 use the same lower ball joint?

Captainfab 02-15-2012 01:28 AM

Yes you could do that as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkrider (Post 5187336)
Thanks for the info. Im assuming i could verify this by checking to see if by any chance the C20 and C30 use the same lower ball joint?

whlman5150 02-15-2012 11:56 AM

Hello all, I am new to the forums and am trying to gather some information for a new project I am beginning. I picked up a 62 Chevy C10 shortbed fleet side. The truck needs work to get it back on the road, the rust issues, body, engine, etc. The truck has the straight six (not sure of the engine size..if anyone has info to do this it's appreciated), drum brakes all around, I believe its a 4 speed..on the floor, has a 10 bolt rear end, not sure if it has a positraction or what the gears are.

Some of the modifications and upgrades include putting an LS engine and 4L60e tranny in it, upgrading the brakes to disc, fronts first and rears later. I plan on taking it down to the frame to start cleaning and repairing so I am trying to decide the way to go on the suspension and brakes. I am on a moderate budget so keeping that in mind here are my questions.

For the 62, what year front suspension / brake swap is recommended? Also need info about running a master cylinder and booster or possibly a hydro boost. I think I saw a thread from CaptFab about a hydro boost, just can't find it now.

I've seen people do the 5 lug conversion. Is this done to add the disc brakes or because of wheel choice and available rims for a 5 lug? And, if you do the swap, do you want to go with the 5-4 3/4 or 5-5? Is changing over to a 5 lug recommended or stay with 6?

My plans for the truck include rims and tires. The look I'm going for is a lowered profile look with a slight rake. I'm not sure if I want to run air bags but will definitely be lowering it, nothing crazy I still want it drivable. The rims I was thinking about are either 22x10 in rear, 20x10 in front or just running 20s all around....still looking at different combos. But again, goes back to my question about the lug patterns.

Any information is appreciated...just trying to get this thing going. Thanks!

Gary
Posted via Mobile Device

rudy350 02-15-2012 09:36 PM

(However, the '73-'87 booster is not compatable with the '73-'87 booster.) You will have to use one of the boosters listed in the for sale thread.[/QUOTE]

hey captain what do you means by this, in the parenthesis..

LostMy65 02-15-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudy350 (Post 5190905)
hey captain what do you means by this, in the parenthesis..

he means the '73-'87 booster is not
compatable with the '73-'87 booster. :D

I think it was a typo :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 02-16-2012 02:08 AM

:lol::lol:
Yeah, apparently I was really tired the other night when I was typing that. How it should have read is: "However the '73-'87 booster is not compatable with my booster bracket"

Thanks for catching that :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudy350 (Post 5190905)
(However, the '73-'87 booster is not compatable with the '73-'87 booster.) You will have to use one of the boosters listed in the for sale thread.

hey captain what do you means by this, in the parenthesis..[/QUOTE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 5190966)
he means the '73-'87 booster is not
compatable with the '73-'87 booster. :D

I think it was a typo :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 02-16-2012 02:14 AM

The compatable front suspensions for the '60-'62 trucks is any '71-'87 C10 front suspension. You will have to change the entire suspension, crossmember and all. On the '60-'62' there are more holes that need to be drilled as compared to the '63-'70's. I believe member markeb01 did a writeup on this conversion, as he has done it on his '60. It might be referenced in the '60-'66 FAQ index at the top of the page.

Typically the 5x5 conversion is done as this is what the C10's with disc brakes came with. You can buy aftermarket 6 lug rotors that fit the '71-'87 HD spindles.

As for the brakes, yes I do sell brackets for that. There are links to the for sale threads in my signature line. Here is the one for the auto trans version

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...49#post3479149

Quote:

Originally Posted by whlman5150 (Post 5189859)
Hello all, I am new to the forums and am trying to gather some information for a new project I am beginning. I picked up a 62 Chevy C10 shortbed fleet side. The truck needs work to get it back on the road, the rust issues, body, engine, etc. The truck has the straight six (not sure of the engine size..if anyone has info to do this it's appreciated), drum brakes all around, I believe its a 4 speed..on the floor, has a 10 bolt rear end, not sure if it has a positraction or what the gears are.

Some of the modifications and upgrades include putting an LS engine and 4L60e tranny in it, upgrading the brakes to disc, fronts first and rears later. I plan on taking it down to the frame to start cleaning and repairing so I am trying to decide the way to go on the suspension and brakes. I am on a moderate budget so keeping that in mind here are my questions.

For the 62, what year front suspension / brake swap is recommended? Also need info about running a master cylinder and booster or possibly a hydro boost. I think I saw a thread from CaptFab about a hydro boost, just can't find it now.

I've seen people do the 5 lug conversion. Is this done to add the disc brakes or because of wheel choice and available rims for a 5 lug? And, if you do the swap, do you want to go with the 5-4 3/4 or 5-5? Is changing over to a 5 lug recommended or stay with 6?

My plans for the truck include rims and tires. The look I'm going for is a lowered profile look with a slight rake. I'm not sure if I want to run air bags but will definitely be lowering it, nothing crazy I still want it drivable. The rims I was thinking about are either 22x10 in rear, 20x10 in front or just running 20s all around....still looking at different combos. But again, goes back to my question about the lug patterns.

Any information is appreciated...just trying to get this thing going. Thanks!

Gary
Posted via Mobile Device

whlman5150 02-19-2012 08:22 PM

CaptFab, thanks for your responce. I still have a few questions though.. just to confirm with you, ANY front suspension unit from a '71 through '87 will work and bolt in? And these will convert the front brakes to disc with a 5-5 bolt pattern? And if I wanted to..could I get rotors with a 5-4 3/4 pattern rotors?

Does this swap eliminate the front torsion bars on the truck?

If I had the chance to swap out the 10 bolt rear end for a 12 bolt, would that be recommened? I've seen ads out there for 12 bolts from a 65 truck...would that work?

Also, I may have a line on a front suspension from a '77 C10 and 12 bolt rear end. Would that be a recommended swap? The rear should be 5-5 bolt pattern, right?

As I said in my original thread, I am thinking of putting an LS 5.3 engine in the truck. I am looking at one out of a 2006 GMC Sierra. Can I use the power steering unit from the '71-'87 donor with the LS power steering pump? I believe GM switched over to metric some where down the line...or would I have to use some adapters or have hoses custom made?

On a side note, I do plan on odering the power brake booster bracket from you AND the power steering bracket if it will work out for me in my application. Eventually the rear disc brakes too...trying to decide whether to go with the Impala SS set up or D52. If I'm reading your posts right, the D52 seem a bit more heavy duty??

I will look up the thread from markeb01 to see what he did.

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to learn this stuff so I can start planning my build.

Thanks!

Gary

Captainfab 02-20-2012 01:08 AM

Yes any '71-'87 C10 front suspension will work to convert your truck to front disc brakes. This will eliminate the torsion bars, and replace them with coil springs. The presence of the torsion bars is why you have to switch the entire suspension, crossmember and all on the '60-'62 trucks. I have heard of using front rotors from a '70 Impala to achieve the 5 x 4.75 wheel bolt pattern, but I have not been able to confirm that, that will work.

If it were my truck, I would change the Eaton HO32 10 bolt for either a '63-'82 truck 12 bolt, or a '83-'87 8.5 truck 10 bolt. This will give you wider gear selection, and better braking choices as well. Of course the most of the '63-'72 12 bolts are already setup for the coil springs and trailing arms. Although, you will still need to relocate the trailing arm mounts to be able to bolt them up to your trailing arms. The '71-'82 12 bolts will have the 5 x 5" wheel bolt pattern, but they will be 1.5" wider overall than your original rear end. You can also go with a '63 to early '70 12 bolt and buy the 5 x 5 conversion axles. These years will be the same width as your original rear end.

The '80-'87 truck power steering boxes will have the metric with O-ring fittings that should match up with the pump on your 5.3 engine. It is still possible that you may need to have a pressure hose made to fit your particular setup. But if you have a OEM hose with the correct ends on it, that will same you some $$.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whlman5150 (Post 5199040)
CaptFab, thanks for your responce. I still have a few questions though.. just to confirm with you, ANY front suspension unit from a '71 through '87 will work and bolt in? And these will convert the front brakes to disc with a 5-5 bolt pattern? And if I wanted to..could I get rotors with a 5-4 3/4 pattern rotors?

Does this swap eliminate the front torsion bars on the truck?

If I had the chance to swap out the 10 bolt rear end for a 12 bolt, would that be recommened? I've seen ads out there for 12 bolts from a 65 truck...would that work?

Also, I may have a line on a front suspension from a '77 C10 and 12 bolt rear end. Would that be a recommended swap? The rear should be 5-5 bolt pattern, right?

As I said in my original thread, I am thinking of putting an LS 5.3 engine in the truck. I am looking at one out of a 2006 GMC Sierra. Can I use the power steering unit from the '71-'87 donor with the LS power steering pump? I believe GM switched over to metric some where down the line...or would I have to use some adapters or have hoses custom made?

On a side note, I do plan on odering the power brake booster bracket from you AND the power steering bracket if it will work out for me in my application. Eventually the rear disc brakes too...trying to decide whether to go with the Impala SS set up or D52. If I'm reading your posts right, the D52 seem a bit more heavy duty??

I will look up the thread from markeb01 to see what he did.

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to learn this stuff so I can start planning my build.

Thanks!

Gary

whlman5150 02-20-2012 01:53 PM

Will any front suspension from Chevy or GMC full size (1/2 ton) vans from these years work also? Are the front frames the same?
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 02-21-2012 01:45 AM

On the full sized 1/2 ton vans everything from the control arms out is the same as a 1/2 ton truck. The van crossmember is wider than the crossmember on a truck. So a van front suspension won't work for you since you need the crossmember.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whlman5150 (Post 5200708)
Will any front suspension from Chevy or GMC full size (1/2 ton) vans from these years work also? Are the front frames the same?
Posted via Mobile Device