The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   '64 C-10 Stalled Project Rescue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=838517)

Arne 05-27-2023 09:51 PM

Re: '64 C-10 Stalled Project Rescue

As they would say on SNL, here's your Weekend Update.

I drove the truck to meet a friend for lunch today, and there is no more noise from the speedo after installing the new cable. So that issue is fixed.

I'm still planning to charge the A/C on Wednesday. As long as I got all the fittings and o-rings connected properly, that should be simple. Will use oil with UV dye just in case.

Doing some research now, trying to determine a fair asking price. Hard to find true comparable trucks. Most are either unrestored, patina-look, customs, hot rods or bone stock. Mine is not exactly any of those. The closest I've found seem to be from recent Bring-a-Trailer auctions. Here's some examples:

Orange '63 — Sold for $42,500 (+ 5% fee) — More custom, more hot rodded, modern interior. Probably done to a bit higher level than mine.

Yellow '64 — Sold for $36,250 (+5%) — Much closer in concept and execution, but much more stock as well. Stock 6 cylinder with original 4 speed. Did have front disc, but no power assist or dual circuit master, no power steering, no A/C.

Blue '64 — Sold for $31,050 (+5%) — Another that is a similar concept. Has power steering and disc brakes, and A/C. Has a nice 350 SBC, but just a normal 3 speed trans.

Based on these, I'm starting to think somewhere between $30-35k for an asking price. Any comments or examples are very welcome!

350TacoZilla 05-31-2023 02:09 PM

Really hard for me to help with value since it's so far out of my normal price range of 0-$500 lol but I would think in any part of the country if it's presented well and gets the traffic it would be in that $30k region your thinking. If it was mine I would list it for $35k OBO and let the offers come in.

But again this is from someone in the rust belt that doesn't shop for vehicles in that price range so I might be off.

It's a great looking truck that I would have a hard time getting rid of unless someone hit me with the right offer while at a show or something rather than actively trying to sell it, that way I could enjoy it a bit longer :)

Arne 05-31-2023 08:15 PM

Did the A/C thing today with a friend who has a vacuum pump and gauges. Really pleased with how this turned out.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...4&d=1685577087

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla (Post 9208404)
It's a great looking truck that I would have a hard time getting rid of unless someone hit me with the right offer while at a show or something rather than actively trying to sell it, that way I could enjoy it a bit longer :)

Well, remember that I bought the truck solely for the fun of building it. Once it's done, I'll quickly get bored, and my wife will nag me to find something to do. So I need to sell this project to finance the next one. That's how I deal with retirement...

Fleet '66 06-04-2023 09:46 PM

Wow Arne! I just completed reading your entire build thread and thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. I must say that you have excellent attention to detail and great documentation. I've been a member and subscriber to this forum for some time now but have been inactive and away for several years now. Yours is the first build thread I've read since returning. You've inspired me to get off my butt and start back on some of my neglected build projects. Thanks for the much needed shot of inspiration. Great job, Good luck on your sale prospects. I can't imagine you having any difficulty finding a willing new owner to enjoy this classic truck, but don't you really want to drive it just a little bit more? :lol:

Arne 06-04-2023 10:38 PM

Well, the truck is technically for sale right now. But I'm not quite ready to actively market it yet. I want to drive it a bit more to make sure I've worked out as many bugs as possible. (Bugs are inevitable with projects like this, but I dislike selling vehicles with bugs.)

I also like having other people who know these trucks see it, as they may catch something I missed. So if you want to pop down to Eugene and see the truck in person, I'm available most of the time. Shoot me a PM.

But sell it I will, and sooner than later. I can't start looking for my next project until this one is sold. Both finances and storage/work space prohibit that.

My wife and I took the truck to the "Function 4 Junction" in nearby Junction City yesterday. I did not enter the truck in the show, but parked it on the main highway through town so people could see it. The trip (and my wife) pointed out that while the A/C is awesome, I need to consider whether to rebuild the existing window regulators, or just pop for a new pair. The passenger side is pretty poor, and the driver's is not much better. I'm also thinking the radiator fan thermostat was set a bit too high. I've dialed that down a bit, and will continue to monitor it. And I need to have one or both of the rear drums resurfaced, as it feels like one may be egg shaped when stopping from highway speed. Will look into that later this week.

Arne 06-05-2023 10:55 PM

The rear brake drums are at the machine shop now, should be done by tomorrow afternoon.

I've ordered a pair of window regulator repair kits, and new rollers. Maybe late this week, or possibly early next.

Arne 06-14-2023 08:07 PM

I'm back at it, after a bit of time off spent rebuilding the deer fence around our garden.

I rebuilt the passenger side window regulator yesterday. Got it all back together today. I'm not terribly impressed with the rebuild kit I got from Classic Truck Parts. While it was marked for 64-66 and looked OK at first inspection, I had to do some fairly serious modification and re-engineering of the parts to make them fit and work. To be fair, after all these years, I can't say that I'm 100% convinced the regulator out of that door was original. It could be from a different year, model, or maybe it's an aftermarket part. So it might not be all that surprising that it wasn't plug-n-play.

But after a bit of custom fab work, I got it all back together and the passenger window now works much better. But it's not any better than the existing driver's window, so I'm not going to proceed with kitting that side. No need to go through all that work if it's not going to make it any better than it is now.

Next up is looking for a rather annoying rattle behind the gauge cluster.

Arne 06-16-2023 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arne (Post 9212320)
Next up is looking for a rather annoying rattle behind the gauge cluster.

Yeah, right. A nearly constant ticking. Only quiet on VERY smooth roads. I was absolutely sure it was coming from behind the cluster, and today I proceeded to try numerous tests to locate the source, including a final test drive with the cluster completely removed so that I could see the wires and such in the dash. I finally found the problem.

It was the sun visor...

Arne 06-16-2023 10:01 PM

And with the sun visor rattle dealt with, that's pretty much a wrap on this project. Over the next week or so, I will wash it up and perhaps do a couple more small touch-ups. Then I'll begin the marketing process. Stay tuned...

Arne 06-18-2023 10:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2274900

Attachment 2274901

Arne 06-20-2023 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2275133

Arne 06-23-2023 02:52 PM

The truck has been accepted for auction at Bring-A-Trailer. Go live time is 3-4 weeks out.

caseyjones 06-23-2023 04:13 PM

I hope it works out as a positive experience for you. Mine was good-just took 8 weeks as opposed to the 3-4 weeks I was expecting.

Arne 06-24-2023 11:46 PM

This will be my second auction with BaT. I just have to be realistic with my reserve expectations. Pick a number that is the least I'll be happy with, and hope BaT agrees. That way if it clears the reserve even just barely, it's a successful sale.

Arne 07-13-2023 11:46 PM

Still waiting to get to the top of the queue at BaT. Best guess is still another 2-3 weeks.

350TacoZilla 07-15-2023 08:18 PM

I hope it brings a good price for you man. I'm sure whoever ends up with it will love it.

Arne 07-15-2023 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla (Post 9220283)
I hope it brings a good price for you man. I'm sure whoever ends up with it will love it.

It's a little funny. I knew that the truck was turning out pretty nice, but the whole effect didn't hit me until I was filling out one of the pre-auction questionnaires on one of the auction sites I checked into. Answering all the questions they asked really brought home to me how good it really is. I've been a little too close to the truck to see the whole effect all at once. Can't see the forest past all the trees...

350TacoZilla 07-16-2023 05:30 AM

I can see that. You are focused on finishing jobs on it and kinda checking off the list as you go but hadn't really stopped to look at the full list of what has been done to it.

Arne 08-02-2023 07:59 PM

Latest ETA for go-live of the auction is the end of this week, probably Friday.

Arne 08-04-2023 04:36 PM

The auction is open now! I don't know if it's OK to post an auction link here, so I'll just say that you'll find it if you go to bringatrailer.com and search for '1964 c10'.

Arne 08-11-2023 04:52 PM

Now in the final hour. Wish me luck!

Arne 08-11-2023 06:26 PM

Reserve not met... :(

350TacoZilla 08-12-2023 12:38 PM

Sorry to hear that man. I checked in on it day or two ago and it was hanging around the 21k mark at the time. That truck around here would have to be worth more I would think but I guess I could be off. Seems like my area has 2k rust buckets 8k rusty drivers or 35-40k nice trucks like yours.

Arne 08-12-2023 10:19 PM

Well, I had thought it was probably a $30-35k truck. But the market has spoken, at least for now.

I'm in contact with the high bidder, may yet be able to strike a deal.

Arne 08-31-2023 03:59 PM

Sold and delivered today.

Arne 09-01-2023 06:16 PM

Buyer texted me after driving the truck home to Vancouver (WA, not BC), about 135 miles. He reported the truck behaved like a champ, and he is thrilled.

caseyjones 09-01-2023 06:19 PM

Congrats-hopefully I’ll see it around town!