The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Alan's Classic 12-26-2010 12:29 PM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4369813)
Allan any reason you put your bed together to paint it?:uhmk: Can't believe you have snow and we don't.

It is together now for a mock up. It also stabilizes the bedsides while I'm blocking on it. It will have to be taken apart to paint. I was trying to figure out a way to paint it somewhat assymbled. I thought about removing the header, T/G, leaving the rear and front cross bars in. I have a new rear sill so I just need an old cross bar so I could paint the ones I will be using. The less I have to handle the bedsides the better off I'll be. With the header removed I thought of making a single 1/2 bar with washers welded on the ends to take its place to keep the bedsides stable. It can be installed to where it won't affect the final finish.

Just need some time to work on it. Its' still snowing here not a lot but it still is. The roads have cleared up at least in the front of my house.

Alan's Classic 01-01-2011 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year everyone.

No progress. :waah: But I did get my hounds tooth fabric.

Vernski 01-01-2011 09:14 PM

Great looking fabric Alan does it come in other colors like beige and brown?...Vernski:lol:

Strodder 01-01-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4381517)
Happy New Year everyone.

No progress. :waah: But I did get my hounds tooth fabric.

Happy New Year to you too Allan. The fabric makes you dizzy looking at it so close.:lol: Love it. :metal:

Woogeroo 01-02-2011 11:43 PM

That fabric is crazy looking !

Perfect.

-W

Alan's Classic 01-03-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4382072)
Great looking fabric Alan does it come in other colors like beige and brown?...Vernski:lol:

Thanks Vern!! It comes in 4 colors. Here is a link to the colors. They offer white, red, orange and tan all on black.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4382410)
Happy New Year to you too Allan. The fabric makes you dizzy looking at it so close.:lol: Love it. :metal:

What are you smokin'? :haha: Thanks I think it looks awesome as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogeroo (Post 4384477)
That fabric is crazy looking !

Perfect.

-W

:thumbs: Thanks Woogeroo!!

aggie91 01-03-2011 09:58 PM

Very nice progress. I envy you having access to that lift. I know what you mean about the knees and back. Make working on the lower parts of the bed sides a lot more enjoyable.

Fabric looks great.

Strodder 01-03-2011 11:10 PM

Don't smoke anything, but just had a nice Seven & Seven..:alc:

SFTorange 01-07-2011 01:57 AM

Alan,

I've really enjoyed reading through your build. I've learned a lot, and it's provided me with some great motivation. Keep up the good work!

my67chevytruck 01-07-2011 01:22 PM

nice progress Alan!

Inverter 01-08-2011 06:11 PM

Happy new year Alan.Its only the 8th so I can still say that.

Is this the year for you to complete the Vitamin?

NuBomb 01-09-2011 12:12 AM

Hey Alan Great progress.

When you decide where you are going to have the upholstery work done let us (or just me) know how you like it. I'm hoping to have my buckets covered before July. I looked online and there is a place near dixie speedway in Woodstock that has had some good reviews. I plan on going by there one day to get a quote.

Alan's Classic 01-09-2011 05:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4386571)

Don't smoke anything, but just had a nice Seven & Seven..:alc:

:haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTorange (Post 4393346)
Alan,

I've really enjoyed reading through your build. I've learned a lot, and it's provided me with some great motivation. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Man!!. I'm trying to stay motivated. During the winter time I'm ready to put it on Ebay. :lol: I did do a little today..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by my67chevytruck (Post 4393946)
nice progress Alan!

Thanks Heath. Progress is almost non existant right now. My mind stays busier than my body thinking of everything that has to be done. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 4396379)
Happy new year Alan.Its only the 8th so I can still say that.

Is this the year for you to complete the Vitamin?

Not sure Troy, I haven't met any deadlines yet, so I don't think I will set any more. BTW Your truck is coming along great!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuBomb (Post 4397125)
Hey Alan Great progress.

When you decide where you are going to have the upholstery work done let us (or just me) know how you like it. I'm hoping to have my buckets covered before July. I looked online and there is a place near dixie speedway in Woodstock that has had some good reviews. I plan on going by there one day to get a quote.

I'm in discussion right now with another member that is out of state. He does upolstery and he is needing me to do some work for him. We might swap out the labor. Let us know about the shop at Dixie.

Not much progress, but I did install a new passenger regulator in a repop door. It bolted right up. I still need to buy a drivers side.

I can't hardly move in the shop right now. After 10 years of use it is time to rebuild the riding mower. I'm fighting the temptation of restoring it. It's a sickness. I was cleaning the deck and was thinking.....Hey I can sand blast it and powder coat it.................Nah, just clean it up and put it back together. Then I was thinking hay I can paint the body. That might happen. Then today I was thinking I could practice fabbing up a hood scoop. Dang, my mind creates more work than I need. :lol:

Trying to decide on the details of the seat. The picture below is something I had in mind. Now think of this seam on black vinyl with orange thread. Also thinking of a welt like old school. I think the orange stitch in black will really pop and accent the hounds tooth. I'll also have the buttons covered in black. The buttons will be in the hounds tooth like the 69 camaro.

daverod 01-09-2011 07:46 PM

You could put air bags on the mower and that would be how you adjust the height you cut the grass.;)

Alan's Classic 01-09-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4398666)
You could put air bags on the mower and that would be how you adjust the height you cut the grass.;)

:haha:

Now I'm in an area that I'm not very good at.................electrical. I had the old harness from the Impala.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...l/DSC03537.jpg

I have some old gauges laying around and the schematic from Lakeroadster. I thought why not mock it up and see how the factory did it. I stripped away everything that wasn't needed. This is what was left. Yes, I am using new wire, just trying to get a mental pic of what I need to do. It might be a waste of time for some, but helpful to me. ;):lol:

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...l/DSC03538.jpg

I've done a little searching to try to find some dash light sockets. Anybody know right off hand where I could get these or suitable sub? They are a 5/8" round hole. It seems like it would be easy to find. These are a single wire, but I think a 2 wire might be better as far as the grounds go. But that just means more wires to deal with. I'll just see whats available.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...l/DSC03539.jpg

I have to go back thru my thread to find the electrical supplier that I and others posted. Since the gauge pods are in three pieces I want to create a quick disconnect for each pod. The speedo has 5 lights running to it. They are the turn indicators, high beam and dash light. A 5 pin quick disconnect will take care of it.

Any pointers and suggestions are always helpful.

Strodder 01-09-2011 09:42 PM

Maybe contact Painless, or Ron Francis Wiring. See if they can make a plug in harness for for only the dash. Just an idea. :chevy:

Alan's Classic 01-09-2011 09:59 PM

I found out the name and number on the sockets "Universal 5/8 Snap-in Miniature Base Light Socket 8524".

http://www.oemsurplus911.com/automot...ckets/8524.jpg

There are numerous places for the weatherpack connectors, just have to decide where to order from. Along with that there are so many different ones to choose from here is a link that discribes all types. Anybody have a favorite one they use? Does anyone have a cheat sheet as far as what gauge wire to run in the different circuits?

Example pics. (I will be getting a complete kit with seals and terminals.)

http://www.whiteproducts.com/images/...PT-4SQ-203.jpg

http://www.whiteproducts.com/images/...PS-4SQ-203.jpg

Strodder 01-09-2011 10:32 PM

GM use AC Delco parts and connectors.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pi...rs/gm/sockets/

ruffrida2005 01-09-2011 11:29 PM

Alan check out www.wiringproducts.com You might find something there you cant live without.

If I was to get a painless wiring harness again I wouldn't buy the one that's made direct for our trucks. It's overpriced and you still have to put all the eletrical ends on it. Yes it's easier since the wires are already ran to where they need to go, But to save $200 on a harness and spend maybe 2 hours more on it is worth it.

daverod 01-10-2011 12:52 AM

I glad I have you to follow.;)

Strodder 01-10-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 4399191)
Alan check out www.wiringproducts.com You might find something there you cant live without.

Good stuff. :metal:

66BowTieBoy 01-10-2011 02:51 PM

Alan,

O'Reilly has both one & two wire gauge light kits:
part # GA50 (1 wire) by BWD & # 3211 (2 wire) by Auto Meter.

You might check-out the Classic LED stuff at: www.uapac.com

Enjoy watching you work......
Danny :chevy:

Alan's Classic 01-11-2011 08:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4399050)
GM use AC Delco parts and connectors.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pi...rs/gm/sockets/

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 4399191)

If I was to get a painless wiring harness again I wouldn't buy the one that's made direct for our trucks. It's overpriced and you still have to put all the eletrical ends on it. Yes it's easier since the wires are already ran to where they need to go, But to save $200 on a harness and spend maybe 2 hours more on it is worth it.

Thanks for the link. I'm sure there is something I can use there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4399392)
I glad I have you to follow.;)

I will get you lost if you follow me. :lol: At least you can learn from my mistakes and make yours better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 4400219)
Alan,

O'Reilly has both one & two wire gauge light kits:
part # GA50 (1 wire) by BWD & # 3211 (2 wire) by Auto Meter.

You might check-out the Classic LED stuff at: www.uapac.com

Enjoy watching you work......
Danny :chevy:

Thanks Danny for the comments and the PN's. I'll look into them. We have an O'Rileys close to work.

We had 5" of snow here. Now it has turned to ice. Atlanta has been shut down for 2 days now. School is out again tomorrow as well.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/DSC_0005.jpg

I pulled out my Highway 22 kit to see what is in it as far as guage connections go. I pulled out the instructions and their diagram is almost identical to mine. I have to make a couple changes since the turn indictors and high beam are in the speedo. I'll have to add some QD's for the seperate pods. My far left gauge has oil/gen/e brake idiot lights. Next is the temp gauge. Then the speedo. Fuel gauge and then clock.

Strodder 01-11-2011 09:07 PM

Kewl!! :metal:

Alan's Classic 01-11-2011 09:21 PM

Since I'm not an electrical guru, I have a question. The black ground wire coming out of the #9 QD doesn't tie to anything. It shows ground points at the gauges but not physically tied to them. What do I do here. I'm thinking just ground it to the dash frame. The gauges are grounded thru the mounts from GM. Suggestions......

65Custom 01-11-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4403329)
Since I'm not an electrical guru, I have a question. The black ground wire coming out of the #9 QD doesn't tie to anything. It shows ground points at the gauges but not physically tied to them. What do I do here. I'm thinking just ground it to the dash frame. The gauges are grounded thru the mounts from GM. Suggestions......

With out seeing the connectors etc, looks to me like #9 and #10 connect which then supplies the ground, if you are not using the connector #9 to connect to #10 connection then just supply your own ground where needed

Strodder 01-11-2011 10:31 PM

I need to see the whole diagram. Remember that where ever you put that ground it has to be screwed to a non painted surface.

aggie91 01-11-2011 10:32 PM

The black wire coming out of #9 shows to be grounded at each gauge. Where does the black line go to the right of the gauges in the picture? You cut off that side...

Alan's Classic 01-11-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 4403547)
The black wire coming out of #9 shows to be grounded at each gauge. Where does the black line go to the right of the gauges in the picture? You cut off that side...

It continues to the tach and ends there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Strodder 01-11-2011 11:26 PM

Does this help?
http://www.59classicchevy.com/images...agram-8-sm.jpg

66BowTieBoy 01-12-2011 01:07 PM

Alan,
My guess, (without physically looking at gauge cluster), would be that with the ground ending at the tach, the tach is mounted in the clusted making contact with 'bare' metal as will all of the other gauges when also mounted. Attaching the ground wire to the dash frame will accomplish the same completed ground circuit. IMO you're more of a 'Lectro Guru' than you thought. As long as the negative post on the battery is attached to the vehicle's frame, the body is making a good metal to metal contact to the frame and the dash has a metal contact to the body the circuit is complete. I have seen 18 wheelers run several thousand mile before experiencing computor module malfunctions due to painted ground terminals. Like Strodder said...:blah::blah::blah:

Christophr03 01-12-2011 01:12 PM

Hi. Just joined the forum the other day and read every post in this thread. Three days later, I'm done. Truck is awesome. I just got my first one last weekend. It is a 60 short step. But it was free and almost no rust besides cab floor and door. Rockers look good. Hope to get the kind of detail you have into mine. As far as connectors go, we use those weather packs all the time here at work. No real problems as far as i know. Thanks for the step by step your whole way through this biuld. Keep it up.
- Chris

Alan's Classic 01-12-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4403716)

Thanks for posting this here. I printed it out a week or two ago when Lakeroadster posted it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 4404648)
Alan,
My guess, (without physically looking at gauge cluster), would be that with the ground ending at the tach, the tach is mounted in the clusted making contact with 'bare' metal as will all of the other gauges when also mounted. Attaching the ground wire to the dash frame will accomplish the same completed ground circuit. IMO you're more of a 'Lectro Guru' than you thought. As long as the negative post on the battery is attached to the vehicle's frame, the body is making a good metal to metal contact to the frame and the dash has a metal contact to the body the circuit is complete. I have seen 18 wheelers run several thousand mile before experiencing computor module malfunctions due to painted ground terminals. Like Strodder said...:blah::blah::blah:

Thanks and I do know a little more than the basics of electricity, but I don't mess with it everyday. That being said this is my first total rewire and I'm trying not to overwhelm my self. I'm sure I can do the harness the way it is laid out, but making changes to it will be where I run into problems.I'm planing on grounding that ground wire to the dash frame and let the gauges ground thru the body of the gauge.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christophr03 (Post 4404667)
Hi. Just joined the forum the other day and read every post in this thread. Three days later, I'm done. Truck is awesome. I just got my first one last weekend. It is a 60 short step. But it was free and almost no rust besides cab floor and door. Rockers look good. Hope to get the kind of detail you have into mine. As far as connectors go, we use those weather packs all the time here at work. No real problems as far as i know. Thanks for the step by step your whole way through this biuld. Keep it up.
- Chris

Hey Chris, thanks for taking the time and dedication to reading this complete build. Welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing your truck.

Looking at the diagram that Strodder posted I'm confused. The tan wires that come from Gen/Oil idiot lights and the temp and fuel gauge all tie together and run to the resistance wire on the coil. I'm confused.......

The american wire kit has a real oil press and volt meter. I will be running idiot lights for the Gen/oil. I would like to run a gauge, but I'm trying to keep the original look of the impala dash. Trying to figure out how I need to modify the new harness to make this happen. The tan wire to the coil is really confusing me. Now that I think about it could it be a power feed????? The tan wire like I said before ties into several gauges. for instance the oil pressure idiot light has 2 wires. One is tan and the other is a dark blue that goes to the sending unit on the impala harness. It has to get it's power from some where and it wouldn't be getting it from the sending unit. So to me that means it's getting it's power from the coil. The light will come on when key is turned on because the sending unit is making contact. Once the engine is started the oil pressure breaks continuity in the sending unit which in turn turns the light out. Am I thinking right??

If that is true then how does the gen light work? It ties to the tan wire to the coil and also ties to the gen. That would equal 2 positives. :uhmk: Where would I connect the wire on the alt?

Just a few of the many questions to come.

daverod 01-12-2011 03:24 PM

I think I'll be happy if I get my key ignition switch to work.:lol:

66BowTieBoy 01-12-2011 03:34 PM

Hey Alan,

When the key is turned on the alternator warning lamp current flows from the power source at the coil through the warning lamp, through the resisters, transistors and field coil of the alternator, then to ground causing the lamp to illuminate. Once the alternator is at full output, voltage from the diode trio, also applied to terminal 1, equals the battery voltage. So, with 12 volts on both sides the of the lamp there is no path to ground and the light goes out.

Danny

daverod 01-12-2011 03:43 PM

Damn, it sounds good to me. I think he knows he electrial.:lol:

Strodder 01-12-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 4404971)
Hey Alan,

When the key is turned on the alternator warning lamp current flows from the power source at the coil through the warning lamp, through the resisters, transistors and field coil of the alternator, then to ground causing the lamp to illuminate. Once the alternator is at full output, voltage from the diode trio, also applied to terminal 1, equals the battery voltage. So, with 12 volts on both sides the of the lamp there is no path to ground and the light goes out.

Danny

Well said Danny. :clap:

66BowTieBoy 01-12-2011 05:20 PM

A picture says a thousand words:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/...elcoWiring.jpg :smoke:

Alan's Classic 01-12-2011 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 4404971)
Hey Alan,

Danny

Thanks for the info. That helped clear that up. So connect to terminal 1 on alt? The american wire diagram has a brown wire coming from the #1 terminal on the altenator to the ign switch. It also shows an optional alt reg excitor diode. Seen in pic below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4404985)
Damn, it sounds good to me. I think he knows he electrial.:lol:

:agree:

Been working on drawing my own schematic for my application. This is pod #1 housing the Gen/Oil and ebrake idiot lights and temp gauge. The QD's will be added to the American wire harness so I can disconnect the individual pods. Am I on the right track?

Alan's Classic 01-12-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 4405168)
A picture says a thousand words:

Thanks again. That really helps with a mental pic. :metal: