The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

gringoloco 12-08-2018 04:55 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8400888)
...You're doing good... keep going!

Thanks for the boost, this will be a big hurdle that allows lots of reassembly to occur.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65StreetCruiser (Post 8401164)
Intake looks nice, Chris. The HAMBers do go to the extreme, no doubt. It will look good painted!
Firewall looks very nice, can't wait to see when it's done!

Thanks buddy!

Progress report: I took a break from sanding to do some, um, sanding. What kind of psychopath wet sands and polishes his valve covers? This kind... Perfectionism is a disease. I’m leaving these at 90%, good enough :smoke:

Kronald_70GMC 12-08-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8401586)
Thanks for the boost, this will be a big hurdle that allows lots of reassembly to occur.

Thanks buddy!

Progress report: I took a break from sanding to do some, um, sanding. What kind of psychopath wet sands and polishes his valve covers? This kind... Perfectionism is a disease. I’m leaving these at 90%, good enough :smoke:

Hahaha I thought I was the only guy who does this kind of :crazy: thing! You've got an eye for detail! This thread has been extremely motivational for me to get my truck back on the road. Outstanding work. :bo2:

gringoloco 12-09-2018 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8401646)
Hahaha I thought I was the only guy who does this kind of :crazy: thing! You've got an eye for detail! This thread has been extremely motivational for me to get my truck back on the road. Outstanding work. :bo2:

Thanks a lot. You’ve got some heavy metal work going, keep up the good work.

The eye for detail is a blessing and a curse. Nothing is ever good enough...

jocko 12-09-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8397533)
‘Nother little project, speaking of under hood. Got rid of the Holley logo on the intake runner using a half-round, some 80 grit to smooth out the scratches, then 40 grit and a body hammer to recreate the as-cast look. Hoping it all but disappears once primed/painted. There will still be logos remaining on the Holley fuel rails and the Wilwood master cylinder cover; will see if they bother me bad enough to do something about it.

your manifold looks great, nice job on that. I have done this twice, but ended up sending my manifold to Lamar Walden's shop (the 409 guy) just north of atlanta for a tumble in his manifold smoothing thingy machine. Was described a as a big dryer with walnut shells in it - not sure how accurate that is, but the marks all but disappeared (removed an Edelbrock casting) - I was leaving them bare - and it also transformed the dirt-trapping aftermarket casting into smooth gm-like casting finish. I do believe yours will be practically invisible after paint.

mcbassin 12-11-2018 08:48 AM

The firewall and valve covers look great! Keep at it..

GSFMECH 12-21-2018 05:13 PM

Chris, it's been ages since I've been on here and I have to say it looks great bro, can't wait to see it in person.

C10_ustacould 12-31-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8383420)
Thanks dudes! Moved on to final clean, prep, and paint on the engine. Gotta say, I’m digging it :D

What did you use to clean and prep the engine for paint?

gringoloco 01-06-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8403292)
The firewall and valve covers look great! Keep at it..

Thanks, Mike!
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSFMECH (Post 8410866)
Chris, it's been ages since I've been on here and I have to say it looks great bro, can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks Mike, too! Hopefully soon...
Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 8417207)
What did you use to clean and prep the engine for paint?

Sorry for the delay, hope it’s not too late. Initial clean was with oven cleaner to get rid of the gunk, then simple green/power purple/whatever skin-eating acid cleaner I had around with various brushes, rags, scrapers, and implements, then final prep with laquer thinner and 3M scrubbies. Lots and lots and lots of time spent in all of the little books and crannies.

gringoloco 01-06-2019 06:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, folks. Need to some honest input, here. My original plan was to do everything under hood in black and orange, like a truck engine, but I kindof accidentally mocked up the engine like a late ‘60s hipo car big block and I also kindof accidentally like it. Thoughts?

gringoloco 01-06-2019 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It reminds me of this style, though I’m not sure I’d go so far as to do crossed flags and tonowanda decals.

Zoomin 01-06-2019 06:06 PM

Chris, I think the engine looks great. Personally I like some color comtrast, and the only time I do blocks in black is to help hide any leaks :lol:

I hate cleaning crud off more than about anything else on a project, but it's so nice when it's done.

65StreetCruiser 01-06-2019 07:58 PM

I like it, think that it would look good in the truck. I have always liked the hi-po car big block look.

smbrouss70 01-06-2019 08:10 PM

It looks good like it is, but you know I like the black and orange more. I will say that if you go with it like it is, you better powdercoat that intake an aluminum color because it won't stay pretty very long in the elements. I would seal up those billet valve covers too.

Where does the A/C compressor mount?

smbrouss70 01-06-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 8437960)
Chris, I think the engine looks great. Personally I like some color comtrast, and the only time I do blocks in black is to help hide any leaks :lol:

I hate cleaning crud off more than about anything else on a project, but it's so nice when it's done.

I'm kind of wishing I had painted my engine black right about now! :lol:

gringoloco 01-06-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 8437960)

Thanks. I like some contrast, too, but I’m concerned it might be a little busy :confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65StreetCruiser (Post 8438023)
I like it, think that it would look good in the truck. I have always liked the hi-po car big block look.

I do think it would pair well with the “muscle” feel of the truck with the Muncie, Hurst with white shift ball, and grey spoke wheels.
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8438030)
It looks good like it is, but you know I like the black and orange more. I will say that if you go with it like it is, you better powdercoat that intake an aluminum color because it won't stay pretty very long in the elements. I would seal up those billet valve covers too.

Where does the A/C compressor mount?

You bring up good points, which I’m not sure I’m committed enough to the look to properly remedy. I would paint or powder the intake and probably chrome the VCs. My other option is to do similar to what you did with a scuff and shoot. Honestly, I only grabbed the billet specialties covers because I didn’t want any oil leaks with the stamped steel stockers. I definitely don’t want something I’ll have to polish all of the time, I learn from others’ mistakes :exit:

The plan for the AC compressor is stock-ish location. Need to get the motor back in and see if plan A (Alan Grove with current compressor) will work. I fear it will interfere with the steering rack, so then on to plan B (Dirty Dingo or Holley). If. One of that works, maybe I’ll save my pennies for a Holley mid mount setup or just go ahead and install that rear sliding glass I want :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8438031)
I'm kind of wishing I had painted my engine black right about now! :lol:

LS engines don’t leak, just sayin’ ;)

smbrouss70 01-06-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8438066)
I definitely don’t want something
I’ll have to polish all of the time, I learn from others’ mistakes :exit:

Touche'!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8438066)
LS engines don’t leak, just sayin’ ;)

I know, I know... But I have WAY too much invested in my little small block to change directions now. Brandi will kill me!

cornerstone 01-07-2019 01:00 AM

Personally I would like the black and orange, nothing shinin' up the joint. Subtle is sexy.

GSFMECH 01-07-2019 04:21 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head Chris, I think It's perfect the way it is, I love the orange.

tino0217 01-07-2019 05:39 AM

Looks damn good brother, simple but tuff

rustytruck50 01-07-2019 10:50 AM

Tough decision...I think either way you go is going to look great....I really like the pics a few posts back!! :cool:

knomadd 01-07-2019 11:32 AM

That's a tough one. I did mine all orange and black and I like it, but I see the muscle car look in the current color scheme you have and it looks nice too. I do agree that you'll need to do something with the aluminum pieces though. You'll be polishing like crazy if you don't. And that intake won't look good for long if it's left bare.

SCOTI 01-07-2019 02:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8437958)
It reminds me of this style, though I’m not sure I’d go so far as to do crossed flags and tonowanda decals.

Though not an LS, I did it. I wanted the older Musclecar period look for my later model Squarebody TBI equipped set-up. While mine IS a big-block, the newer stuff bared very little visual resemblance to it's Musclecar precedent.

I had the factory painted steel valve covers chromed because they were:
A) Cheap
B) I already possessed them
C) After comparing to TRUE 70's era BBC chrome v.covers, they were much smoother.

I used an Edelbrock TBI intake vs. the cast iron BBC intake w/the TBI adapter & a period correct dual snorkel air cleaner to top it off.
I re-routed wiring & other asthetics to appear less electronic. I liked the older look once finished.
I also did the 'Built by Chevrolet Tonawanda' v.cover & 454 air cleaner engine displacement decals to finish off the 'look'. The repop decals didn't survive underhood life for long before coming apart & have been removed...

fatbass 01-07-2019 05:26 PM

Wow! I really like the look now.
I'm not a fan of the orange and black.

gringoloco 01-09-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8438235)
Personally I would like the black and orange, nothing shinin' up the joint. Subtle is sexy.

I agree, but this made me re-think my former stance on the subject
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSFMECH (Post 8438266)
I think you hit the nail on the head Chris, I think It's perfect the way it is, I love the orange.

Thanks, it does have a nice classic look to it
Quote:

Originally Posted by tino0217 (Post 8438275)
Looks damn good brother, simple but tuff

Agreed, thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytrucak50 (Post 8438369)
Tough decision...I think either way you go is going to look great....I really like the pics a few posts back!! :cool:

Super tough, I’m still not decided. I do have a few more ideas, too
Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8438405)
That's a tough one. I did mine all orange and black and I like it, but I see the muscle car look in the current color scheme you have and it looks nice too. I do agree that you'll need to do something with the aluminum pieces though. You'll be polishing like crazy if you don't. And that intake won't look good for long if it's left bare.

That’s the thing, not sure I’m in love with it enough to make it permanent
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8438503)
Though not an LS, I did it. I wanted the older Musclecar period look for my later model Squarebody TBI equipped set-up. While mine IS a big-block, the newer stuff bared very little visual resemblance to it's Musclecar precedent.

I had the factory painted steel valve covers chromed because they were:
A) Cheap
B) I already possessed them
C) After comparing to TRUE 70's era BBC chrome v.covers, they were much smoother.

I used an Edelbrock TBI intake vs. the cast iron BBC intake w/the TBI adapter & a period correct dual snorkel air cleaner to top it off.
I re-routed wiring & other asthetics to appear less electronic. I liked the older look once finished.
I also did the 'Built by Chevrolet Tonawanda' v.cover & 454 air cleaner engine displacement decals to finish off the 'look'. The repop decals didn't survive underhood life for long before coming apart & have been removed...

I really like the air cleaner setup. Is that the LT1/Z28 base?
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbass (Post 8438669)
Wow! I really like the look now.
I'm not a fan of the orange and black.

Thanks, I’m still undetermined. I like a simple, stock look, usually

gringoloco 01-09-2019 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another variant. Pretty sure the water pump will be orange and the accessories black no matter what else happens...