The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

youngrodder 11-28-2021 09:50 PM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

5 Attachment(s)
More progress on the audio install.

All speaker wires and power and ground cables have been routed.

I went to my upholstery guy on Wednesday to buy some glue off him so I could wrap my speaker pods with 1/8" foam and then leather. I like how they turned out. I used glue and 1/2" staples to secure the leather to the back side of the speaker pods.

Here are some pics

youngrodder 11-28-2021 09:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more pics

I should point out that no fasteners will be visible once the pods are mounted. The will bolt thru the speaker opening to some nutzirts in the side of the cab.

Marc

6DoF 11-29-2021 09:27 AM

top shelf quality as always sir! that should sound as nice as it looks.

8man 11-29-2021 09:31 AM

Those are great. Nice to see how it's done, thanks.

youngrodder 11-29-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 9001103)
top shelf quality as always sir! that should sound as nice as it looks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 9001105)
Those are great. Nice to see how it's done, thanks.

Thanks guys, hopefully it sounds good.

I like upholstery work. One thing I have learned is there are a bunch or different materials and processes to yield the same results. Most guys just settle in on what works best for them.

Marc

oldman3 11-29-2021 10:38 AM

Nice work Marc, looks great...Jim

lower50's 11-29-2021 11:48 AM

WOW they look like you just extended the kick panel :metal:

6DoF 11-29-2021 12:00 PM

wait ... still no tuner details?

youngrodder 11-29-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 9001164)
wait ... still no tuner details?

Funny...No. Over the break I received (2) different YouTube updates but they were two different cars he tuned. I might have to check in to see where I am in the que. I hate being that guy tho...

Marc

youngrodder 11-29-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9001129)
Nice work Marc, looks great...Jim

Thanks Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9001156)
WOW they look like you just extended the kick panel :metal:

Yeah, that is kind of what I did..I played with a couple different ideas before coming up with this solution. I didn't want to angle the speakers as it eats into the foot well area too much.

Marc

Dieselwrencher 12-01-2021 08:44 AM

Marc, great work. You are making me want to be working on my 40 Ford and do this to the interior really bad. I need more time and less stuff I guess. :lol:

youngrodder 12-01-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9001906)
Marc, great work. You are making me want to be working on my 40 Ford and do this to the interior really bad. I need more time and less stuff I guess. :lol:

Thanks Ryan... My sub arrives tomorrow and the amp is back ordered so I will continue to plug along. I'm gaining.

Marc

youngrodder 12-23-2021 04:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have been working on installing lap belts and the sound system.

Stereo
: The 5 channel AMP came in. I had to pull an audible on where I originally intended to mount it. I made a carboard amp to determine the best location to fit it. The goal all along was to make it as hidden as possible. I settled on mounting it to the side wall between the seat and the wall.

I wired the system up and of course I had to do a sound check..ha ha. I must say that I really like the Bluetooth controller. The way I have it wired is as soon as I turn the key the amp and Bluetooth controller power up. The Bluetooth also automatically connects to my phone which is nice. By far this is the nicest sounding system I've had in a classic truck. This will make driving it soooo much more enjoyable.

Seat belts: I started to install the (5) lap belts that I bought. Basically 2 up front. 1 in the middle and 2 for the back. Since the 2nd and 3rd row are modular I wanted the lap belts to be as well. To accomplish this, I chose eyelets and lap belts that clip in. The idea is If I ever run the 3rd seat in the 2nd position I can unclip one lap belt from the rear to use it in the middle position to allow for 2 belts in the middle.

Now for pics

Marc

youngrodder 12-23-2021 04:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Lap belt pics

mongocanfly 12-23-2021 04:56 PM

Man those seats are so nice looking...like the seatbelts idea..

oldman3 12-23-2021 05:48 PM

Marc, great work on amp and belts, always thinking outside the box...Jim

Denee007 12-23-2021 06:11 PM

omg! Beautiful! I love the seats too!!
dne'

8man 12-23-2021 07:04 PM

That thing just gets better and better. It looks awesome! The seat belts are a good idea, but the look is outstanding!

youngrodder 12-23-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9010312)
Man those seats are so nice looking...like the seatbelts idea..

Thank you, my wife had reminded me more than once that "We don't have seat belts"...ha ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9010331)
Marc, great work on amp and belts, always thinking outside the box...Jim

Thanks Jim. I try...ha ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 9010338)
omg! Beautiful! I love the seats too!!
dne'

Thank you, as nice as they look they are even more comfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 9010365)
That thing just gets better and better. It looks awesome! The seat belts are a good idea, but the look is outstanding!

Thanks, it has been nice to focus on completing the last 10%. I had too much fun driving it to work on it.

Happy Holidays.....

Marc

Modges'66 12-24-2021 05:43 PM

Hey Marc!
Stellar work on the audio system!
Everything looks great!
I hope that you & the family have a great holiday season!

youngrodder 12-26-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 9010776)
Hey Marc!
Stellar work on the audio system!
Everything looks great!
I hope that you & the family have a great holiday season!

Thanks Mike. The amp has you go thru this setup process to optimize it for peak sound and performance. It was a little confusing at first but I got it figured out. It sounds nice and crisp.

We had a great holiday season. I hope the same for you and yours.

Marc

duramax55 12-26-2021 11:19 PM

youngroder i love your burb it is very well done wondering what kind of carpet is that ?

youngrodder 12-27-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duramax55 (Post 9011502)
youngroder i love your burb it is very well done wondering what kind of carpet is that ?

Thanks man. It's called German Box (or square weave). It commonly used in street rods. It is not the cheapest carpet tho ($120 per yard). For a truck it's not too costly but I had to purchase 5 yrds of the stuff to cover the Suburban.

I used this same carpet only in a different color in my last build. It is very durable.

Here is one source with color swatches. I got mine from my upholstery guy this time.
https://relicate.com/collections/ger...e-weave-carpet

Check eBay too.

Marc

youngrodder 01-13-2022 03:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Continuing to pick off items from my (Winter) punch list.

My gas tank had a leak from day 1 when very full. Once I discovered the leak, I didn't fill it full of gas. This thank was from a 67 Camaro and was retro fitted (poorly) for EFI. It was cheap but not really the best solution. The top of the tank was really designed to seal with a lock ring. I attempted to screw my fuel pump and sending unit and as you can see neither one ever sealed properly.

A bonus to dropping the tank was it was much easier to bolt down the (3) seatbelt anchors for the 3rd seat.

I decided on a Tanks Inc. EFI tank for a 67 Camaro. I also purchased new gaskets. I just need to modify the fill neck slightly for my application. The quality of this tank is such an improvement. They even include one of these trick breathers. I already have the same breather so this can be for the next project.

The goal is anything that might be an issue will be updated/upgraded as I would like to stretch my legs further this summer.

With any luck, I will have the new tank all mounted by this weekend.

Thank you
Marc

6DoF 01-13-2022 04:05 PM

what kind of seal did you use on your first attempt?