The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826089)

Gregski 07-10-2023 10:03 PM

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

2 Attachment(s)
so back to that transmission oil top off which I have been avoiding doing, and here's why

Lexus claims for this to be a Maintenance Free Transmission (pronounced: good for 100k miles before you have to do anything to it) I recall this being attempted by automobile manufacturers in the past and it just takes simple tasks like checking the fluid levels and or topping off the fluid and makes them impossible to do later!

For instance this transmission does not have a dip stick, [unless you consider it's owner] and what appears to be metal dip stick tube, is actually an inlet for the coolant aka water cooling. and the best thing about that tube is that it is joined to the pressed in actual inlet on the body of the trans with a flexible rubber hose, so you can easily remove it / delete it as it is almost guaranteed it will interfere with the firewall in your conversion vehicle, and then you just run a rubber hose directly to that short stub on the transmission

Second, this transmission does not have a filler hole. That's right there is no unscrew this bolt and pour some delicious trans fluid in.

Gregski 07-10-2023 10:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so I am relying on this LS600h procedures but I recon they is the same(ish) Lexus LS600h Chassis

any of youz own or have dealt with one of these lifetime maintenance free transmissions ?

Gregski 07-11-2023 03:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
poor girl was thirsty she drank 3 quarts and never overflowed yet, looks like I'll be heading back to the floor mat store

72 tigger 07-11-2023 06:09 AM

“Floor mat store” :)

notsolo 07-11-2023 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice work.....nowhere in the drain refill, instructions and implementation was the term filter used, reused, or filtered. Maybe that's where the floor mats come in, hope you got some. Nice work rehumping the trans bump hump. Oops, or metal thingy over transmission....Vacuuming the garage, oh boy, something big is coming!

Gregski 07-11-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 9219053)
Nice work.....nowhere in the drain refill, instructions and implementation was the term filter used, reused, or filtered. Maybe that's where the floor mats come in, hope you got some. Nice work rehumping the trans bump hump. Oops, or metal thingy over transmission....Vacuuming the garage, oh boy, something big is coming!

oh my lord, note to self do not attempt to drink coffee whilst reading another one of this guys comments, he hits all the marks
  • opens with a complement
  • mentions floor mats (he reads my words?)
  • metal thingy (speaks my language)
  • nails it with a comic that hits home so hard (when I used to buy cars on the weekend, on Monday a buddy of mine back at the office would ask: What colors is it? get it plural as in a junker?

Gregski 07-12-2023 06:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so it was back to the Floor Mat Emporium

Me: "two quarts of ATF WS transmission juice please"

Lexus:

Gregski 07-12-2023 06:49 AM

so after a second trip to get more trans fluid, she only took a small swig of the 4th bottle for a total of 3 1/4 quarts thought this will be helpful to future Padawans topping theirs off

Gregski 07-12-2023 07:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
this next high voltage motor cable repair I wrote up in excruciating detail in this Lexus GS450h Transmission Inverter High Voltage Cable Repair so here I will just share some highlights, in case you was wondering why the truck aint running yet

when i first got my Lexus GS450h transmission off a seller on eBay I noticed the big fat orange cables attached to the motors had small gashes in them with some copper exposed, Not Good!

Gregski 07-12-2023 07:08 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I was very pleased to learn that the cable ends come apart and that these cables are serviceable, Mr. Toyota will be receiving a Christmas Card this year

Gregski 07-12-2023 07:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
and now I had to do the other side

Fun Level: 2

MDPotter 07-12-2023 09:23 AM

As always, I enjoy the humorous updates. "Floor Mat Emporium"

Gregski 07-12-2023 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 9219317)
As always, I enjoy the humorous updates. "Floor Mat Emporium"

appreciate the positive feedback MD, it feeds my fragile eagle, have you ventured out by the The Good Enuff Garage Channel of Tubes for You

MDPotter 07-12-2023 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 9219335)
appreciate the positive feedback MD, it feeds my fragile eagle, have you ventured out by the The Good Enuff Garage Channel of Tubes for You

I hit the subscribe button and I'll check out your archive!

Gregski 07-12-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 9219339)
I hit the subscribe button and I'll check out your archive!

thank's I'll Venmo you the bribe money

MDPotter 07-12-2023 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 9219341)
thank's I'll Venmo you the bribe money

The government can track that, I only take cash.

Gregski 07-13-2023 10:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
just a quick check list of how my Final Assembly went down as a husband, amateur EV converter, and a father of a teenage daughter with a 2010 Mazda 3 which just through a P0753 code aka "bad shift solenoid" [pronounced: "needs a new friggen $900 dollar TCM"]

1. Install Inverter bracket
    • remove the bad OEM TCM from Mazda
  2. Install the six Battery modules
    • install brand new $400 dollar aftermarket TCM in the Mazda
  3. Install Inverter
    • test drive... [ahem] the Mazda
  4. Install Safety Box
    • learn that the new TCM is a brick and needs to be programmed / so remove it (how did it even drive, I don't know?!)
  5. Install the battery pack lid
    • put the bad OEM TCM back in the Mazda
  6. Install the DC-DC Converter
    • learn that the Mazda stealership won't program the new brick aftermarket TCM unless it's installed
  7. Install the Battery Charger
    • remove the bad OEM TCM from Mazda [again]
  8. Install the Main Engine Wire Harness (the Inverter plug one)
    • deliberately reinstall the brand new $400 dollar aftermarket bricked TCM in the Mazda
  9. Install the Transmission Wire Harness (the one with the resolver cables)
  10. Simply connect both the A and B plugs into the VCU, and you're done!

Easy-peasy !!! do you have a similar story? I would luv to hear about it to calm my nerves, jk

The Suspect and People's Exhibits A & B

D.B 07-13-2023 07:36 PM

Bulletpoint for 9: Drive to Mazda stealership for TCM programming.

Bulletpoint for 10: Give Mazda back to teenage daughter.

At least you made a few people happy. Your daughter will get her car back, your wife because your daughter is happy and you because both your daughter and your wife is happy. Nothing beats having a happy family. Oh, also you got practice in removing and re-installing a TCM in a 2010 Mazda 3.

Gregski 07-13-2023 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.B (Post 9219679)
Bulletpoint for 9: Drive to Mazda stealership for TCM programming.

Bulletpoint for 10: Give Mazda back to teenage daughter.

At least you made a few people happy. Your daughter will get her car back, your wife because your daughter is happy and you because both your daughter and your wife is happy. Nothing beats having a happy family. Oh, also you got practice in removing and re-installing a TCM in a 2010 Mazda 3.

ha ha, the MAZDA is going on day 3 in the shop (apparently they are short on Techs this week) so today they offered us a rental car, oh my goodness it is so nice, I am parking it down the street so my girls don't see it, cause we can't afford a new car right now with two dingleberries in college

Gregski 07-14-2023 09:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
then I assembled it all for what I hope is the final time, the S shows how they are connected in series

Gregski 07-14-2023 09:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
a little close up of the leads going into the inverter, 90% of all that orange will be out of sight out of mind

Gregski 07-14-2023 09:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
EV Conversion Walk Through YouTube video

of how this unicorn electric transmission ev conversion will work

D.B 07-14-2023 02:56 PM

Nice work, very informative. I am looking forward to seeing this truck run under its own power.

Gregski 07-15-2023 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by D.B (Post 9219904)
Nice work, very informative. I am looking forward to seeing this truck run under its own power.

thank you I appreciate the kind feedback, here's an even more better video on how it all gets wired up, please turn up your volume as I dropped the phone on the ground and the mic thingie that was plugged into it broke it's fall whilst shattering into three pieces

EV Conversion Low Voltage Wiring I

zicc1835 07-16-2023 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.B (Post 9219904)

X2 great video...... question are you going to use that 67-68 steering wheel that's hanging up on the wall