The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

C10_ustacould 01-10-2019 09:07 AM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

I like this direction, I'd paint the intake orange and the air cleaner lid black too.

SCOTI 01-10-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8440173)
I really like the air cleaner setup. Is that the LT1/Z28 base?

Yes. The only mod was the breather tube @ the bottom of the base. It required tweaking for my app (to clear the TB).

mcbassin 01-15-2019 03:50 PM

Either way Chris, These setups are way sexier than 99% of the LS motors out there in our trucks. Including my own. I dig it either way.

SCOTI 01-15-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8444017)
Either way Chris, These setups are way sexier than 99% of the LS motors out there in our trucks. Including my own. I dig it either way.

I have absolutely no problem w/a 'de-cluttered' OE-LS look or a cleaned-up & engineered appearance on the LS platform. That being said, the truck style engine cover is the only one I care for as others appear 'gimmicky' when used in swaps.

Orange67 01-15-2019 05:08 PM

I agree with your Muncie/Hurst/grey spoke idea for the hi-po look. Tough decision, because they both look awesome. You could do like some guys do with wheels, keep both around and switch them out when you get bored with the current look. Keep it up man, you are doing great.

slowcpe 01-15-2019 05:25 PM

I'm starting to really like this look. I've been considering something like your first pic on my '67 but more of a cast/brushed finish for the breather and valve covers.

I also saw on IG where someone painted the engine with script valve covers a fawn color which would match my interior. I thought that might look cool.

Daryl87 01-29-2019 01:09 AM

I've finally made it all the way through this thread so far!

After a long hiatus, I'm just at the point of body re-assembly (inside of cab painted and firewall) and cab ready to be installed on the frame. Unfortunately my rolling chassis was pretty much completed before I got pulled into this build thread otherwise it probably would have influenced a bunch of the choices I made then (3-ish years ago). I'm also going 6.0 LS but with a 6-speed, so am interested in your setup and detailing of the engine.

Thanks gringoloco for all the effort you put into showing and explaining all the great work you are doing on your builds!

TA_C10 01-29-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8380676)
More progress with the dash final sanded, in color, and cleared. Color match is pretty good and the clear laid out nicely. I got some trash in the ashtray lid that I hope to wet sand out, but overall I’m pretty happy with how this turned out :chevy:

Super nice build thread Chris. I have been keeping up with your thread for about 6 months now after reading the bulk of it and not being able to stop :flag:

When your doing small work like the radio portion of the dash, are you using an aerosol primer or are you using a gun? And what brand of primer are you using? Do you use epoxy and 2k high build or something else? Just looking for similarities to what I'm about to do on my build.

Thanks,
Tom

gringoloco 02-16-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl87 (Post 8453627)
I've finally made it all the way through this thread so far!

After a long hiatus, I'm just at the point of body re-assembly (inside of cab painted and firewall) and cab ready to be installed on the frame. Unfortunately my rolling chassis was pretty much completed before I got pulled into this build thread otherwise it probably would have influenced a bunch of the choices I made then (3-ish years ago). I'm also going 6.0 LS but with a 6-speed, so am interested in your setup and detailing of the engine.

Thanks gringoloco for all the effort you put into showing and explaining all the great work you are doing on your builds!

Appreciate it, very much. I just hope that my rambling can be helpful or entertaining.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8453740)
Super nice build thread Chris. I have been keeping up with your thread for about 6 months now after reading the bulk of it and not being able to stop :flag:

When your doing small work like the radio portion of the dash, are you using an aerosol primer or are you using a gun? And what brand of primer are you using? Do you use epoxy and 2k high build or something else? Just looking for similarities to what I'm about to do on my build.

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks for the kind words. For the dash, I used aerosol products from SprayMax. Super high quality, professional, 2-part paints in the convenience of a spray can, highly recommend. I also had my local paint store mix up the base coat in a rattle can, so that whole project was “spray paint”.

I did break out the real paint gun today, though (more to come).

gringoloco 02-16-2019 09:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, a brief update on the valve covers: I’ve decided to stick with the orange and black theme under the hood. As much as I like the “chrome” look, I’m just not in love with it.

Since I don’t want plain valvecovers, but I also don’t want the leaks that come along with stamped steel stockers, I decided to modify the billet specialties pieces to look more like GM parts.

I used the aluminum brazing rods you see at all the car shows to attach 2” x 1/8” strips to the tops. They still need a bit of body work, but I’m liking the concept. They will get painted orange to match...

SCOTI 02-16-2019 09:17 PM

Interesting. I like this direction.

gringoloco 02-16-2019 09:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also placed an order with Rick’s Upholstery in TN. I came up with a door panel design that pays homage to the ‘72 style, but without the bulky plastic feel. While they are building the door panels, they will also be providing a new seat cover to match. I hope to see these items in the next month or so. Finally doing away with the “temporary” horse blankets that have been there for, what 7-8 years now :waah:

gringoloco 02-16-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8467684)
Interesting. I like this direction.

Thanks, Scot. It came to me in a dream :lol:

gringoloco 02-16-2019 09:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
...and in other news:

Firewall is painted! Layed some HotRodFlatz LeMans blue today and it came out looking pretty good. Not perfect, but as I age, I’m learning to live with that :lol:

gringoloco 02-16-2019 09:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And with the masking removed, still not fully dried, but I couldn’t wait

rustytruck50 02-16-2019 09:31 PM

Looks great Chris...may need to borrow/steal the seat cover design...if not a couple more things....like the old saying goes "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :lol:

smbrouss70 02-16-2019 10:45 PM

Everything looks fantastic! It's showing all the effort that you put into it. Unfortunately, now I'm going to have to modify my valve covers. :lol:

gringoloco 02-17-2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8467701)
Looks great Chris...may need to borrow/steal the seat cover design...if not a couple more things....like the old saying goes "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :lol:

I have no copyrights, yet :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8467745)
Everything looks fantastic! It's showing all the effort that you put into it. Unfortunately, now I'm going to have to modify my valve covers. :lol:

We seem to keep doing this to each other. If it helps you feel any better, every time I see your Blazer I think I need new wheels...

3757chevy 02-17-2019 12:05 AM

I like the door panel plan , can't wait to see it done. Seat looks good . Oh ya, the firewall looks great.

gringoloco 02-18-2019 12:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8467806)
I like the door panel plan , can't wait to see it done. Seat looks good . Oh ya, the firewall looks great.

Thanks a lot. Really looking forward to getting the upholstery installed

Feels good to be finally bolting some things on again. The truck now has 3 pedals! The CapatainFab hydraulic clutch master works nicely, but took a bit more trimming than I had planned for. Still managed not to destroy the freshly painted firewall, so that’s a bonus...

cornerstone 02-18-2019 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8467678)
So, a brief update on the valve covers: I’ve decided to stick with the orange and black theme under the hood. As much as I like the “chrome” look, I’m just not in love with it.

Since I don’t want plain valvecovers, but I also don’t want the leaks that come along with stamped steel stockers, I decided to modify the billet specialties pieces to look more like GM parts.

I used the aluminum brazing rods you see at all the car shows to attach 2” x 1/8” strips to the tops. They still need a bit of body work, but I’m liking the concept. They will get painted orange to match...

These creative subtle modifications are why this truck will truly be one of a kind. I can't help but pat myself on my back thinking that I had some influence on your no chrome decision:lol: I'm seriously loving your orange and black choice! Chris, you mentioned Rick's Upholstery will be providing a seat cover to match your door panel design. The blue seat cover you posted appears stock to me, is that the one from Rick's?

gringoloco 02-18-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8468630)
These creative subtle modifications are why this truck will truly be one of a kind. I can't help but pat myself on my back thinking that I had some influence on your no chrome decision:lol: I'm seriously loving your orange and black choice! Chris, you mentioned Rick's Upholstery will be providing a seat cover to match your door panel design. The blue seat cover you posted appears stock to me, is that the one from Rick's?

Appreciate the compliments and the influence :lol:

The example seat cover pictured above from Rick’s mimics the factory “waterfall” style, yes, but will be patterned to fit my 88-98 bench seat. There will also be French seams around the edges, instead of piping. Just a few subtle changes to modernize the classic, original look. I think I may have just unintentionally established a theme...

gringoloco 02-18-2019 11:13 AM

duplicate...

timmytimm3 02-18-2019 03:13 PM

Love it!

Save the manuals :metal:

gringoloco 02-18-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmytimm3 (Post 8468937)
Love it!

Save the manuals :metal:

Thanks, and I agree 100%. I just read a Car and Driver article about the new GT500, and the moment I read “manual transmission not available”, I flipped the page to the next article. Not that I would buy one, but I don’t even wanna read about a paddle shifter :lol: