The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 52 GMC Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=648459)

lower50's 11-24-2017 09:25 AM

Re: My 52 GMC Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter (Post 8088634)
Nice! It took me a few days rolling on 2 coats!

Ya as soon as I said I was painting it my neighbor said use my sprayer. Sure saved a lot.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8088727)
That looks so nice and good work getting it done so fast!

With all the work I have been doing, good thing I can go to work and relax. lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 8088850)
Now we are getting somewhere.

Absolutely. Electrical will be hooked up this weekend.

Nut Case 11-25-2017 05:11 AM

Lowered

Wow looks fantastic, You've got great friends and neighbors,
I'm just starting rough electrical....
Did you saw cut your concrete floor? And did you cover the concrete floor before you painted? This is great info.

The photo's are great.

Keep on keepin on

Nut case

piratexpress1369a 11-25-2017 05:59 PM

Wow that's awesome Bob

lower50's 11-27-2017 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Case (Post 8089677)
Lowered

Wow looks fantastic, You've got great friends and neighbors,
I'm just starting rough electrical....
Did you saw cut your concrete floor? And did you cover the concrete floor before you painted? This is great info.

The photo's are great.

Keep on keepin on

Nut case

No the floor is not getting cut. The concrete guy could not cut deep enough to make the cuts work without getting close to the water pipes.
I did not cover the floor, it has already worn off where we have been working.
There is another reason why I didn't bother to cover it, that I will tell everyone soon.
Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 8090009)
Wow that's awesome Bob

Ya I know!! I'm super happy.

lower50's 11-27-2017 04:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Shop update:
Saturday my friend came over and we got the power hooked up, receptacles in and lights all hung, speakers mounted and stereo hooked up. Wow is it nice and bright. 60A 240V should be lots of power. I should be moving in this coming weekend.
Attachment 1711666

Attachment 1711667

Nut Case 11-27-2017 05:10 AM

Lower

I think it needs...... oh yeah "more cow bell"

Strong work

NC

:haha:

oldman3 11-27-2017 10:11 AM

Lower, happy for you brother, everyone needs a nice shop...Jim

rusty76 11-27-2017 07:28 PM

Looks like you already got your mattress and box springs in there. Lol.

lower50's 11-28-2017 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Case (Post 8091143)
Lower

I think it needs...... oh yeah "more cow bell"

Strong work

NC

:haha:

Yes got to have more cow bell
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8091229)
Lower, happy for you brother, everyone needs a nice shop...Jim

Jim this is my shop!! My brother just did the framing. I am beside myself with joy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 8091672)
Looks like you already got your mattress and box springs in there. Lol.

LOL ya it kind of looks like that. That's my Dads '51 MGTD That I now take care of.

oldman3 11-28-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8092013)

Jim this is my shop!! My brother just did the framing. I am beside myself with joy.

lower, when I said "happy for you bother" I meant as bothers in the truck world. Sorry for the mix up, still happy that YOU have a great shop...Jim

99 to Life 11-28-2017 04:56 PM

killing it.

Dieselwrencher 11-28-2017 07:11 PM

It is coming along very nice! It looks really bright in there!

joedoh 11-28-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8091133)
There is another reason why I didn't bother to cover it, that I will tell everyone soon.

wall to wall shag carpet? :lol:

looks bright!

OutlawDrifter 11-28-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8092453)

:metal: Everyone knows, Joe knows how to party!

lower50's 11-29-2017 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8092117)
lower, when I said "happy for you bother" I meant as bothers in the truck world. Sorry for the mix up, still happy that YOU have a great shop...Jim

Sorry Jim ya I see it now lol (I'm working nights this week)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8092365)
killing it.

Trying to.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8092440)
It is coming along very nice! It looks really bright in there!

It is so nice and bright. Loving it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8092453)

looks bright!

Purple ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter (Post 8092457)
:metal: Everyone knows, Joe knows how to party!

Someone has to keep the party going

lower50's 11-29-2017 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Shop update:
So yesterday and today I built some shelves. The 3 of them are 2' deep 8' long and the underside of the shelf is 7.5' off the floor so it should not interfere with anything. My friend Joe came by to help me put them up. I am going to use bins like the 4 on the one shelf, just need to get more, 5 will fit on each.
Attachment 1712472

Attachment 1712473

Dieselwrencher 11-30-2017 12:59 AM

Very nice. You never can have enough shelves and cabinets it seems.

OutlawDrifter 11-30-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8093459)

I'm in complete agreement here. "Phase 3" of my shop build includes more storage and to finish wiring on 1.5 walls.

dsraven 11-30-2017 12:04 PM

nice shop, and bright too. you are gonna love it.
not to slag you here or bring down your high in any way, but I built some shelves like that in my shop as well, above the height of truck door opening and hats etc. I had a lot of stuff up there and realized that I had one small flaw (well, ok, maybe more than one...), the brace that goes to the wall under the shelf, although it is on a wall stud, seemed to eat through the drywall over time with weight and shifting of parts and ladders leaning against the shelf while I look for parts in boxes etc. the fix was simply to put the horizontal brace, which is below the braces on your pic, on the wall BEHIND the angled brace. the angled brace then sits against the horizontal part which spreads the load across a larger area and doesn't compress or easily crumble like a drywall wall does. I also ran some hangers down from the trusses because my shelves go all around the shop on 3 walls- yup, thats a lot of parts, lol. also, if you find you need more light (it is nice and bright but hey, you can always use more), you can attach a fixture to the under side of the shelf on that angled brace so it reflects down and outward instead of just down. works great and gets the light a little closer to the work area. I have a strip down each side, one down the middle and another across the front over my workbench. I find the lights under the shelves work great because they light up under the fenders better due to their height and also have some refection abilities off the ceiling due to their angle.
another trick you may find handy is to find a step ladder with the correct height for your shelves and then remove the kick out part so the ladder sits on the edge of your shelf. I have an aluminum step ladder and with the swing out beams removed there is a lip on the uppermost step (the one that says "not a step") that fits nicely on the edge of the shelf and leaves the ladder at the proper climbing angle. it makes the ladder a lot lighter and takes less storage space. of course it makes the ladder useless for anything else. it reminds me of the ladder you see in libraries except there is no rollers or rail that it slides on around the room.
your shop looks huge. do you have plans on a hoist (scissor trusses was the give away) compressor and air lines, hose reels etc? I ran the air intake for my compressor up into the attic space and use an automotive air filter box. it is waaay quieter now. that may be difficult for you with scissor trusses though.

rusty76 11-30-2017 06:33 PM

Good job on the shelves. Never can have enough storage or light for that matter.

lower50's 12-01-2017 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8093459)

Yes you can't have to many shelves, and the shop is never big enough. lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter (Post 8093624)
I'm in complete agreement here. "Phase 3" of my shop build includes more storage and to finish wiring on 1.5 walls.

Been trying to lay everything out for best use of space.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8093705)
nice shop, and bright too. you are gonna love it.
not to slag you here or bring down your high in any way, but I built some shelves like that in my shop as well, above the height of truck door opening and hats etc. I had a lot of stuff up there and realized that I had one small flaw (well, ok, maybe more than one...), the brace that goes to the wall under the shelf, although it is on a wall stud, seemed to eat through the drywall over time with weight and shifting of parts and ladders leaning against the shelf while I look for parts in boxes etc. the fix was simply to put the horizontal brace, which is below the braces on your pic, on the wall BEHIND the angled brace. the angled brace then sits against the horizontal part which spreads the load across a larger area and doesn't compress or easily crumble like a drywall wall does. I also ran some hangers down from the trusses because my shelves go all around the shop on 3 walls- yup, thats a lot of parts, lol. also, if you find you need more light (it is nice and bright but hey, you can always use more), you can attach a fixture to the under side of the shelf on that angled brace so it reflects down and outward instead of just down. works great and gets the light a little closer to the work area. I have a strip down each side, one down the middle and another across the front over my workbench. I find the lights under the shelves work great because they light up under the fenders better due to their height and also have some refection abilities off the ceiling due to their angle.
another trick you may find handy is to find a step ladder with the correct height for your shelves and then remove the kick out part so the ladder sits on the edge of your shelf. I have an aluminum step ladder and with the swing out beams removed there is a lip on the uppermost step (the one that says "not a step") that fits nicely on the edge of the shelf and leaves the ladder at the proper climbing angle. it makes the ladder a lot lighter and takes less storage space. of course it makes the ladder useless for anything else. it reminds me of the ladder you see in libraries except there is no rollers or rail that it slides on around the room.
your shop looks huge. do you have plans on a hoist (scissor trusses was the give away) compressor and air lines, hose reels etc? I ran the air intake for my compressor up into the attic space and use an automotive air filter box. it is waaay quieter now. that may be difficult for you with scissor trusses though.

Thanks dsraven. Yes I totally see how the braces would eat through the drywall. One thing tho is I have OSB plywood on my walls, but I will keep an eye on it. As for lighting I will be adding LED strips under the shelves. The only thing going on the shelves will be those bins, but I will keep the ladder idea in mind as well. The compressor will be in a off the floor storage room eventually and I already have the 50' hose reel. Yes the scissor trusses are for a 4 post 8000lb hoist that I will order next week.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 8093948)
Good job on the shelves. Never can have enough storage or light for that matter.

Thanks Matt, me working with wood is funny. Ya never enough.

lower50's 12-01-2017 12:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Shop update:
I'm working nights this week and with the shop build I don't really get any sleep. So I only got 3.5hrs today because the guys where here for the epoxy floor. My GF's cousin owns the business and we got a great family discount. I wasn't going to do it but couldn't say no. First the ground the floor and then put down the light gray epoxy and lots of white and gray fleck. Tomorrow the come and do the seal coat, so this weekend I can move in. :metal::bann:
Attachment 1712778

Attachment 1712779

Attachment 1712780

Dieselwrencher 12-01-2017 01:05 AM

That looks great already!

rusty76 12-01-2017 06:32 PM

I remember watching these guys at work doing an epoxy floor. They had these spikes on their shoes. It was kinda neat really. I think if I ever build a shop of some sort I’ll do an epoxy floor. The shop is really coming along nicely. I’m ready to start wrenching right now.

youngrodder 12-04-2017 02:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The floor looks great. We sell a product at the company I work for called FlooPix and its a way to embed a logo or picture into your epoxy floor. Here are a few pics....I would love to do something similar in my garage.

I bet you are excited to move into your new space.

Marc