The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Daverods project 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336798)

bubba327 10-23-2010 12:55 AM

Re: Daverods project 66

That is one heckuva gas mask.. Army surplus???
Looks like something you would use with bottled air.
If you have a bath fan in a box, I do not think you'll have much pressure at the mask,
Try the central vacuum exhaust instead. Or the helium tank.
C'mon--answer the door on Halloween wearing that!!! Scare the Kids!!

daverod 10-23-2010 09:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
you mount the fan in a box put a vent in it set it outside in some fresh air. Most those fans kick out about 80 cfm should be plenty. If your breathing that hard your not painting. Read about it in the paint section. I guess it works? we'll see. Cheaper then a real fresh air supply,better then buying organic cartridges all the time. Firefighters mask.

watahyahknow 10-25-2010 08:42 PM

it should work , you might need to put in some sort of valve so youre not recycling the same air in and out , it might allso be handy to put some of those helmetvisorpull off thingies they use for offroad racing on there too so you can see through the paintfog after some time in the booth
you might want to test if the inside of the visor fogs up over time too once youre painting it gets hard to do sumtin about it

i think hooking it up to the compressed air trough a filter reduser and two airhookups (one for the mask one for the paintgun) would work best alltough it smells bad you only dragging one airline with you hooked to youre belt and a small line across youre arm to the gun , less stuff to drop intoo the fresh painted roof or door

Alan's Classic 10-25-2010 08:51 PM

Dave, your Impala dash is looking good. It looks like you have worked on it since the last time saw it. :metal:

daverod 10-25-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4260121)
it should work , you might need to put in some sort of valve so youre not recycling the same air in and out , it might allso be handy to put some of those helmetvisorpull off thingies they use for offroad racing on there too so you can see through the paintfog after some time in the booth
you might want to test if the inside of the visor fogs up over time too once youre painting it gets hard to do sumtin about it

i think hooking it up to the compressed air trough a filter reduser and two airhookups (one for the mask one for the paintgun) would work best alltough it smells bad you only dragging one airline with you hooked to youre belt and a small line across youre arm to the gun , less stuff to drop intoo the fresh painted roof or door

Never really thought about the hose getting in the way. I think I'll run it down the leg of my paint suit. That way I can trip on it and put a nice hand print in the fresh paint.:lol:

daverod 10-25-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4260146)
Dave, your Impala dash is looking good. It looks like you have worked on it since the last time saw it. :metal:

I don't really like the square edeges I made on the center part. I guess I never looked at yours close enough. How do you get the round edges? I'm thinking about doing buckets seats and some sorta center console. Not really sure if I should build it now or do it later out of glass.:ito:

Alan's Classic 10-25-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4260297)
I don't really like the square edeges I made on the center part. I guess I never looked at yours close enough. How do you get the round edges? I'm thinking about doing buckets seats and some sorta center console. Not really sure if I should build it now or do it later out of glass.:ito:

If I remember, I used some round edges off the old dash.

daverod 10-25-2010 10:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4260318)
If I remember, I used some round edges off the old dash.

I was thinking about some pipe that was cut in 1/4. But the corners would be a pain. I better look at your some more.;) Allan one of these days in your spare time you need to make a index of your thread.:lol: Sprayed some slick sand new gun and tip worked great.:metal:

daverod 10-31-2010 02:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took a trip up to Spudtrucks place. Got me a tailgate for my 66 and a rear bumper for my 64. Thanks Spud. Even took my for a ride in his truck./ Can't wait to get my 350 going.

daverod 10-31-2010 09:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I love my little paint room. I just make a big mess, flip the fans on, crack the garage door, little air hose action and clean shop.:metal: Welded up some rust holes that where hiding under bondo. Sprayed it down with some rust stop along the seams and on a few rust pits. First skim of mud. I'm pissed I threw away my bumper brackets when I got rid of my farmer bumper.:dohh::censored:

daverod 10-31-2010 09:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Kinda like these but patina look, with black under it ,flat paint, with clear coat or ghost flames. And I'll get some stripper cages and some Hooters girls chicks too.:smoke:

daverod 10-31-2010 09:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Anybody smart enough to turn this truck orange?:smoke:Bam, Ok how about some flames and more patina and a door logo. And put it on the ground.

Rich 5150 69 10-31-2010 09:44 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1288574844

I like the two tone orange and white bodies as well.....:bann:

spudtruck 10-31-2010 10:00 PM

It sure doesn't take you long to get started on stuff. It looks like you got right to it. Hope it was what you expected. It was good to finally meet the infamous Daverod. Looking forward to someday getting down your way and seeing your setup. Keep up the good work.

daverod 10-31-2010 10:11 PM

It was expected.;) It will be good practice and it's be good enough for what I want it for.;) And the price was right.:lol: With my new air tools I'll have it in slicksand in a couple days.

Strodder 11-01-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4270656)
Anybody smart enough to turn this truck orange?:smoke:

Got Photo Shop? I wish I knew how to use it. :waah:

ruffrida2005 11-01-2010 12:21 PM

I like the burnt orange truckas. But that white flamed slong bed is sweet.

Captainfab 11-02-2010 12:29 AM

Post it over in the photoshop section, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4270656)
Anybody smart enough to turn this truck orange?

daverod 11-03-2010 06:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got me some hinges today. Had to bribe him for the instructions.:uhmk: I'm thinking about something like this for between the seats. Maybe blend it into the firewall better. Found my bumper brackets for my rear bumper. Thanks Spud I forgot you gave me some they where still in the old ladies truck. Lots to do this weekend.

watahyahknow 11-03-2010 07:03 PM

the basic shape of the console is .... ok , i would resess the center a bit and make the edge of the dash extend towart the seats it would make it look more factorie made and you dont have to rip out the whole console to get inside it (the resessed part can be screwed on top ) makes it eazier to extend it to the firewhall and cover too (you prolly cant shove the consolle under the dash if its one piece )

daverod 11-03-2010 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Should I do it out of fiberglass? Good ideas.:metal: I'm thinking I can put my air bag switches there and the airpressure stuff. I'm hoping it will make my dash tie in alittle more. I still need to figure out how to round the corners like Allans. Maybe split a 1" pipe in half and wrap the outside edge in that?

watahyahknow 11-03-2010 08:33 PM

you could make the sides out of mdf it makes less mess can be rounded simple by a router and isnt as smelly you could cover that in carpet (makes closing gaps eazier ) or leather , i would make the top in sheetmetal if only to provide a grounding for the switches and stuff , you can either spraypaint it or cover the top in thin wood depending on youre dash covering

to round the metal edges i think pipe would work . i think i would start with a frame in pipe or roundbar if weight isnt a concern and cover that with plate

daverod 11-04-2010 11:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Split a pipe in half and framed my dash. Just what I wanted,worked great. I need to get some bucket seats so I can figure out my center console.

Strodder 11-06-2010 11:51 AM

You guys with the 59/60 dashes have it all wrong. You installed them backwards. :haha: :haha: Check out this one.

http://belair.smugmug.com/Events/SEM...4_WjNLL-XL.jpg

BTW, Nice job Dave

daverod 11-06-2010 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Put my rear bumper on. Much better. What was I thinking, Roll pan? Put up a nice fire starter. Now for the hinges.:smoke::smoke: