The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

57tailgater 09-14-2018 02:04 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8343965)
I managed to put the passenger side glass is in tonight without scratching anything. Both windows go up and down smoothly and nothing rattles. The front and rear glass goes in this weekend.

I got the peep mirror installed too...

Nice touch with the peep mirror. I am planning n putting a new repro stock style one on mine. They look pretty swoopy.

Black_Sheep 09-14-2018 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just doing odds and ends tonight, including putting on the hood springs. I'll be ready to start installing the front clip as soon as the windshield is in.

MARTINSR 09-14-2018 11:25 PM

Daaaamn that truck is well detailed. It's one of those cars or trucks that I will look at while at a show and find my self searching for a flaw, looking deeper and deeper where you "aren't suppose to look," that is what that truck looks like, one of those cars or trucks.

Very nice!

Brian

Black_Sheep 09-15-2018 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8344651)
Daaaamn that truck is well detailed. It's one of those cars or trucks that I will look at while at a show and find my self searching for a flaw, looking deeper and deeper where you "aren't suppose to look," that is what that truck looks like, one of those cars or trucks.

Very nice!

Brian

Thanks Brian

MiraclePieCo 09-15-2018 01:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The only forward progress I'm making is the one step forward I'm taking after the two steps back ;-(

MARTINSR 09-15-2018 11:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I spent my "five minutes" working on my truck that I do every day driving to Oakland to get the stuff I had sand blasted. When I dropped it off, it took me an hour to drive there, drop it off and be home, I left at 10 am on a weekday. To get it, leaving at 3 pm, it took over an hour just to get there! So on the way out I took a little break and went over to the San Leandro Marina to see SF across the beautiful bay.

Brian

Black_Sheep 09-15-2018 03:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The glass guy showed up so now all of the glass is in. Working on what I can until I can get some help hanging the fenders.

mikebte 09-15-2018 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Removed the U joints from my driveshaft, cleaning for new U joints and yoke. Secured all the brake lines and now ready for bleeding.

Spent additional time and installed the driveshaft, filled and bled the brakes. Missing vacuum hose to booster so I’ll make a trip to the auto parts store.

MARTINSR 09-16-2018 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well..................had a long day with a walking tour in a historic district in my town, and then a wedding reception of my nephew's, just got home. But before I headed off for the walking tour I got some work done on my sandblasted parts. A weld here and there, a dent hammered out here and there and then found this....one of the hood braces is pretty badly rusted, CRAP.

I have to get this stuff primed tomorrow but then I will have this rust to fix.

That was a big surprise, did't see that coming.

Brian

mikebte 09-16-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8345325)
one of the hood braces is pretty badly rusted, CRAP.
I have to get this stuff primed tomorrow but then I will have this rust to fix.
Brian

Crazy how metal can rust, it looks almost like new on the outside, but it’s paper thin. Hard to see it sometimes.

MARTINSR 09-16-2018 10:35 AM

Yep, I just hope I don't find the same thing on the other side. It looks good on the outside but I have to inspect it better on the inside, I don't want paper thin metal supporting my hood hinges!

Brian

MARTINSR 09-16-2018 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got some work done on a few parts and then got them primed today. WHOOO HOOOOO! Every time I paint or prime little parts like this I think of the restoration shop I worked in back in 79 where I would have like 50 or 75 pieces in a booth for a few different cars painting them like this. Damn I learned a lot at that shop!

Brian

slck57 09-16-2018 07:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Worked on making under dash extension panel and radiator closeout/hold down panel.

DransportGarage 09-16-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slck57 (Post 8345798)
Worked on making under dash extension panel and radiator closeout/hold down panel.

Whoa. You've done some serious massaging there! Looking great!

oldman3 09-16-2018 10:56 PM

Nice work...Jim

Black_Sheep 09-17-2018 08:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I wasn’t really happy with the way the windshield fit and then I figured out that the gasket was installed incorrectly. My brother in law came over and we pulled out the windshield, put the seal on correctly and put it back in (after being YouTube certified). Much better now, I should have put it in myself the first time instead of relying on a “professional”.

MARTINSR 09-17-2018 09:15 PM

Looking SOOOOOOO Good Mark, damn that thing is sweet.

Brian

Black_Sheep 09-17-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8346541)
Looking SOOOOOOO Good Mark, damn that thing is sweet.

Brian

Thanks Brian, now that the windshield is in I can start putting on the hood and fenders. The goal is to have it all together by the weekend of October 6th so I can detail it out for a show the following weekend.

mikebte 09-17-2018 10:15 PM

Only made a little progress, got the shifter cable and cable support welded in an tested. All good.
Used an bolt to hook the cable to the shift column.
I'm pretty sure they make a pin to go in that spot, but I have lost it and can't find another to order.

Black_Sheep 09-17-2018 10:27 PM

duplicate post, I need to quit hitting the back button on my browser

evilokc 09-17-2018 10:34 PM

I slid the upper and lower radiator hose on.. that's it. ive had so much crap going on that I haven't had time to do my own stuff. I hate when life gets in the way of what I want to do.

MARTINSR 09-18-2018 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8346578)
Thanks Brian, now that the windshield is in I can start putting on the hood and fenders. The goal is to have it all together by the weekend of October 6th so I can detail it out for a show the following weekend.

I am so jealous I want to punch you! :devil:

Brian:mm:

MARTINSR 09-18-2018 12:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I cut the area out of the brace and made a pattern to patch it. I just couldn't stop tonight, worked a couple of hours because now it's creating something, making the hood fit the sectioned cab, it fires me up. I cut the brace at the hinge mount and started fit that brace on the cab. Now mind you, my brain is about to explode right now after working on this tonight. I am working a very thin line to make this fit without changing the hinge geometry which I do NOT want to do. So keeping the mod below the hinge mounting point at the bottom is the limit have, I think I have it figured out and will proceed tomorrow.

Brian

Michel 09-18-2018 02:23 AM

Not really working on the truck, just doing some 'normal' checkup/maintenance: engine oïl, coolant, battery charge level and... tires pressure and discovered that these tires are missing quite a lot of pressure, almost one bar! I alway forget to check them!

DransportGarage 09-18-2018 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michel (Post 8346746)
Not really working on the truck, just doing some 'normal' checkup/maintenance: engine oïl, coolant, battery charge level and... tires pressure and discovered that these tires are missing quite a lot of pressure, almost one bar! I alway forget to check them!

Normal/checkup maintenance: That's the part I never get to. Oh, and for us Americans, 1 bar = about 14.5 psi. (...and I really hate it when I miss a bar, but that's a different topic.)

As for my progress, I'm wet sanding - mostly on the doors, preparing for the day in the distant future when the humidity is below 75% so I can shoot some paint.

Good luck over there in France. Great having you on the forum!