The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

mr.mud1 12-09-2021 09:30 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

4 Attachment(s)
i went to an estate auction sunday,managed to drag home a bunch of signs that will go up in the shop,from out of a mine,appropriate since this is an old coal mine town,a Jiminy Cricket lunch box with Huey,Dewey and Louey,a 1932 Eveready battery calendar from 1932 and a Motorine motor oil enamel sign that loaded sideways and i don't know how to fix it but you get the idea?a tin friction hot rod car, few old treasures.great fun,almost as much fun as working on my truck.

special-K 12-09-2021 01:19 PM

Great stuff. Does that hot rod have a friction "motor" up front? If I recall correctly, they did and made sparks you could see inside the engine. It's in great shape. Tin friction cars were the first Japanese cars I knew about, through my childhood. European toy cars were so much better quality. So once the real Japanese cars came on the market around here, about the time I began driving, that was my impression of the real cars until shown different.

mr.mud1 12-09-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9005161)
Great stuff. Does that hot rod have a friction "motor" up front? If I recall correctly, they did and made sparks you could see inside the engine. It's in great shape. Tin friction cars were the first Japanese cars I knew about, through my childhood. European toy cars were so much better quality. So once the real Japanese cars came on the market around here, about the time I began driving, that was my impression of the real cars until shown different.

yes sir,it has tinted plastic "windows' in the engine that i assume make sparks but doesn't work any longer,in great shape though.cool stuff.

72c20customcamper 12-09-2021 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dont really know why but I put the plow on my dodge . Guess its habit that it should be on it eventhough the weather looks like mid October not December .

special-K 12-09-2021 07:35 PM

The friction motors wear out. That thing's in great shape. Very complete, hubcaps, bumpers.

mr.mud1 12-09-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9005284)
The friction motors wear out. That thing's in great shape. Very complete, hubcaps, bumpers.

yes it is in great shape,even some chrome left on the grille?i haven't really looked at yet but there is some friction when you turn the front wheels.front wheel drive?who knew?i don't plan on putting too many miles on it so it's fine.take care.Greg

special-K 12-10-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9005282)
Dont really know why but I put the plow on my dodge . Guess its habit that it should be on it eventhough the weather looks like mid October not December .

Talk about the weather all you want. I'm going to buy some new tires! :lol:

They drizzled metal eater on the roads a day in advance for the brief flurries we had pass through the other day a cold front came in. It had been 70*. Roads are prepped for the next one, I guess. Supposed to maybe break a high temp record tomorrow, mid-upper 60s. Then another cold front
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9005290)
yes it is in great shape,even some chrome left on the grille?i haven't really looked at yet but there is some friction when you turn the front wheels.front wheel drive?who knew?i don't plan on putting too many miles on it so it's fine.take care.Greg

Ahead of it's time, FWD! What next? Friction powered motor vehicles?

72c20customcamper 12-10-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9005479)
Talk about the weather all you want. I'm going to buy some new tires! :lol:

Ya me too . Guess you can tell from the ads I was searching tires for my Dodge :lol:. When I plow I iuse chains because the tires are getting hard with age there's tread left but a little snow or mud and the truck dont move . Even with the front and rear no spin axles.

special-K 12-10-2021 01:18 PM

No matter how many, if they're not grabbing...

We had this stuff last year where the tires would start spinning in drive when I lifted off the brake in 2wd. So 4wd was not much better. I don't think that was the tires as much as condition, but they are worn out now.

72c20customcamper 12-10-2021 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up some cherry today . Town was cutting a tree that fell but they only cut to the road side. Guess they cant cut on private property . I got what they cut talked to the homeowner about the rest nice elderly woman who said she would appreciate me taking the rest . It's in a wooded part but near her driveway entrance .

Getter-Done 12-10-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9005756)
Picked up some cherry today . Town was cutting a tree that fell but they only cut to the road side. Guess they cant cut on private property . I got what they cut talked to the homeowner about the rest nice elderly woman who said she would appreciate me taking the rest . It's in a wooded part but near her driveway entrance .

Will you use that on the Smoker?

I have a few cherry trees here.

davischevy 12-10-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 9002646)
All of Tim’s building moving project talk got me thinking about a building l moved to add onto the shop back in 1999. (Water damaged photo)

Post that picture again of the house you jacked up and put a basement under. I'm still in awe of that one.

special-K 12-11-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9005809)
Post that picture again of the house you jacked up and put a basement under. I'm still in awe of that one.

Me too! I can still see that picture in my head.

I keep going down and bringing buckets out to fill the wheelbarrow. Nothing awesome about it. It's a testament to determination I tell ya! :lol:

72c20customcamper 12-11-2021 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9005759)
Will you use that on the Smoker?

I have a few cherry trees here.

Most for the smoker . Couple I'll seal the end Debark and let dry . Make some nice bowls with them or little zen gardens . This one is black walnut it's amazing how much city people will pay for little things like this

Pick121 12-11-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9005878)
Me too! I can still see that picture in my head.

I keep going down and bringing buckets out to fill the wheelbarrow. Nothing awesome about it. It's a testament to determination I tell ya! :lol:

Like Andy diggin outta Shawshank!

Palf70Step 12-11-2021 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Didn't work on it, but used it. Still helping clean up the shop. Today's work was to load up for hazardous waste recycling. This will be the second load with the 70 and 2 loads with the Nissan. 30+ years of various paint cans, and there is still a good bit more. Getting close to being done cleaning it out. On the 3rd dumpster, but headway is being made.

The old guy still works good (the truck more than me. :D )

special-K 12-11-2021 07:09 PM

That's hazardous waste? Huh. I coulda swore they sell that stuff right over the counter to any paying customer. All it says on the can is don't get it in your eyes and if you ingest it just puke :lol:

Stocker 12-11-2021 08:32 PM

Old paint is hazardous waste here, too. California, go figure.... :rolleyes:

yuccales 12-12-2021 02:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
No truck today. The bike did double duty. Toy Run and then our Back the Blue. Weather held out just fine. Good turn out on the run, which means a bunch of happy kids! :) If you want to see our run, here it is.

https://youtu.be/BVk__uDoBog

72c20customcamper 12-13-2021 04:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Worked on some bowls for the wife for Christmas . We don’t buy all that much from stores for gifts . Mostly homemade items for everyone like maple syrup and crafts . First is cherry the other is black walnut. This is just roughed out lots of finish sanding the next few days

72c20customcamper 12-13-2021 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But I got a present from Summit . The new rockers for my Chevelle

Stocker 12-13-2021 07:05 PM

Discovered that a small water leak on the roof of our house has turned into a larger leak. The roof was replaced in 2009 and held for several years before the roofer patched it the first time. Looks like it will take a bit more effort this time but not until the weather changes. For now it's big blue tarps held down with bricks and a box fan in the attic trying to dry it out.

57taskforce 12-13-2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9006775)
But I got a present from Summit . The new rockers for my Chevelle

Hell yea, that’s my kinda present!

Sheepdip 12-13-2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 9006122)
Old paint is hazardous waste here, too. California, go figure.... :rolleyes:

Wasn't that long ago the county would take your old paint and use it to paint over graffiti. I don't think they do that anymore.

Getter-Done 12-13-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 9006908)
Wasn't that long ago the county would take your old paint and use it to paint over graffiti. I don't think they do that anymore.

My paint guy use it to paint the inside of his Dumpster.

They still take paint here Once a Year at a Collection center.