The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How about some pics of 47-59 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=335636)

ChuckDriver 04-09-2014 02:37 PM

Re: How about some pics of 47-59

Awesome looking 59, more pic's please!!!

mud.man.rj 04-09-2014 06:29 PM

After the patina of the 59 it is a surprise to see the engine, like wow look at that. Cool build, keep us posted on more. Are you going to build some kind of cover for the underhood wiring harness.

LSXapache 04-09-2014 07:41 PM

I still have to wire the truck after I get that done I will tidy everything up and make it aesthetically pleasing.

ChuckDriver 04-10-2014 10:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Saw this one sitting outside the Bass Pro shop in Fort Meyers, FL yesterday. Was very tempted to go in and ask if it could be bought!

mud.man.rj 04-10-2014 06:27 PM

Most things can be bought can't they, well my stuff anyway.:lol: It's just the how much part.

Johnny49 04-12-2014 06:39 AM

Love that '46! Very nice!

Hot Rod Todd 04-14-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05snopro440 (Post 6575328)
I love the patina! CLR and a scotch-brite would make that incredible. That's going to be a sweet ride.

It will be an awesome ride for sure.

Although a lot of people seem to love it, I reckon patina looks lazy, like you either ran out of energy to fix your truck or you think it makes you look like "Billy Badass" And I hate the fake patina even more!!

Its a fad and hopefully it will disappear some time. :sumo:

There, I said it, and I feel better already. :sumo: Its a good thing that we can all do whatever spins out bolts isnt it.

05snopro440 04-14-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd (Post 6628716)
It will be an awesome ride for sure.

Although a lot of people seem to love it, I reckon patina looks lazy, like you either ran out of energy to fix your truck or you think it makes you look like "Billy Badass" And I hate the fake patina even more!!

Its a fad and hopefully it will disappear some time. :sumo:

There, I said it, and I feel better already. :sumo: Its a good thing that we can all do whatever spins out bolts isnt it.

Just like I feel that show-finish paint jobs and cleaning them constantly at shows sometimes make the owner look pretentious and vain.

But you know what opinions are like. :lol:

I can tell you on my truck patina won't ever disappear ;)

Von Zipper 04-14-2014 06:45 PM

If your truck has a natural patina, That's such a beautiful an rare thing. if you've faux finished your truck "patina" then I have some macaroni framed mirrors that need your love. my truck's gloss black, a driver an I like the splattered bugs on it

FarmerSid 04-14-2014 07:54 PM

I'm on the fence. I like both but as I get older, I'm getting tired of worrying about scratches and such.

bomber66 04-14-2014 09:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my toy, been working on it for three years.

99 to Life 04-14-2014 09:39 PM

man, the patina debate can really spiral outta control. very debated. I'v expressed many times my side of it and yeah its a double sided coin. I rather hear people say its not my taste but I can see why people do it.

Patina is by far not being lazy, does it cut back 500 plus hours of body and paint, yeah. but its taken 60+ years to make patina, that is simply amazing that not only can something last that long but just look so unique and one of a kind. Patina is different and alot of guys don't like different. Lotta guys want to live in a cul de sac and paint their rods one solid color and have a white fence too. Its not a rat rod if its patina BTW folks. Look underneath the patina on alot of these truck and you'll see tons of money and time, on the outside its a statement of the testament of time these trucks endured. These trucks helped shaped the world and I love seeing the dents and patina to prove it. I like seeing the gritty side of work, not the white collar side. I can't stand today all these white collar modern day trucks that don't tow anything and are like yachts inside. As much as I appreciate craftsmanship and respect paint and do like paint, I'm glad my heart is with patina. When I go to a car show I'm cleaning off the dirt from my dirt roads, not waxing my paint. to each their own, its the beauty of it. anyone can lay down color and or have someone do it (which would be lazy in itself). When guys don't build their own engines, is that lazy? its all perspective. bottom line I'm glad to see variety whether its my taste or not. Its like having a good day, can't have those unless you have bad days to make the good days feel so good.

99 to Life 04-14-2014 09:42 PM

sorry my last post was gonna double post. so anyway I'll add.... Iv heard so "its almost done" "did they tow that thing in here" and the list goes on, but I'v heard so much more pos comments on my truck, it outweighs the neg. The fact that patina stands out in a sea of paint really says something, I think folks are drawn to it for a reason. I'm not dissing paint, it def has its place, esp with cars. its just so much up keep for paint, so much worrying. I'v already had several things hit my truck and man I'd be jacked cause I'd have to touch that up. I'm not even gonna mention living on dirt roads. As much as I luv it, I am doing some painted projects. fauxtina is a whole other debate as well, its kinda like buying a repro patina sign. Would I love to have rare original thats been around for 50plus years, of course. Am I gonna pay 1k for a sign def not. So you can draw a line many ways in the sand. Just like the "traditionalists" that care about every nut and bolt, but they don't care that the gas they are using isn't "original". Its just all perspective.

05snopro440 04-14-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 6629059)
man, the patina debate can really spiral outta control. very debated. I'v expressed many times my side of it and yeah its a double sided coin. I rather hear people say its not my taste but I can see why people do it.

Patina is by far not being lazy, does it cut back 500 plus hours of body and paint, yeah. but its taken 60+ years to make patina, that is simply amazing that not only can something last that long but just look so unique and one of a kind. Patina is different and alot of guys don't like different. Lotta guys want to live in a cul de sac and paint their rods one solid color and have a white fence too. Its not a rat rod if its patina BTW folks. Look underneath the patina on alot of these truck and you'll see tons of money and time, on the outside its a statement of the testament of time these trucks endured. These trucks helped shaped the world and I love seeing the dents and patina to prove it. I like seeing the gritty side of work, not the white collar side. I can't stand today all these white collar modern day trucks that don't tow anything and are like yachts inside. As much as I appreciate craftsmanship and respect paint and do like paint, I'm glad my heart is with patina. When I go to a car show I'm cleaning off the dirt from my dirt roads, not waxing my paint. to each their own, its the beauty of it. anyone can lay down color and or have someone do it (which would be lazy in itself). When guys don't build their own engines, is that lazy? its all perspective. bottom line I'm glad to see variety whether its my taste or not. Its like having a good day, can't have those unless you have bad days to make the good days feel so good.

I agree. In fact, on my truck it would have saved A LOT of time had I painted it rather than preserving the patina. Anyone who thinks it's lazy has never tried to build a patinaed vehicle.

I understand not liking certain trends, but I don't feel it's a fad and think it's here to stay. And for many good reasons.

mud.man.rj 04-14-2014 11:15 PM

Sooo we are going to have to change the post name from pic's of 47-59 to Patina or not soon.:lol:

Hot Rod Todd 04-16-2014 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh no, the patina police have arrived. :lol::lol:

Heres a pikky of my truck. Its currently in panelbeater prison being made straighter so we can paint it shiney. And we will lower it another inch of so as ride height matters more to me than patina.

whitedog76 04-16-2014 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine

S10Fan 04-16-2014 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The "Patina" debate rages on.....

I like old cars and trucks, don't really care which factory built them originally, prefer Chevys, but prior to 1960 I like them all. The patina look, be it original or faux, looks awesome on a lot of vehicles. The mile deep clear coat looks killer too, to each his own. My 50 was painted to look like a 40+ year old paint job, the door lettering was applied too look old as well. I painted over dents, scratches, and dirt in some places. My desire was to have a truck that could be driven anywhere any time with no concerns about getting a scratch. Over the last 12 months I've racked up 10,000 miles on the old girl.

I was recently entered into a 2 day indoor show. On move in day I was assigned a spot next to 5 cars, all really nice street rods. I overheard a couple of the guys complaining they were parked next to "that piece of s...", that would be me. LOL. Well, from Saturday morning until Sunday evening my truck was surrounded by spectators, who knows how many pictures were taken, the street rodder guys really hate me now. LOL.

Anyway, who cares what other folks think, build your vehicle to suit your desires/goals. Just remember to be respectful of the other guy's choices, he probably worked just as hard on his as you did on yours.

lowdownstar 04-16-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10Fan (Post 6632033)
The "Patina" debate rages on.....

I like old cars and trucks, don't really care which factory built them originally, prefer Chevys, but prior to 1960 I like them all. The patina look, be it original or faux, looks awesome on a lot of vehicles. The mile deep clear coat looks killer too, to each his own. My 50 was painted to look like a 40+ year old paint job, the door lettering was applied too look old as well. I painted over dents, scratches, and dirt in some places. My desire was to have a truck that could be driven anywhere any time with no concerns about getting a scratch. Over the last 12 months I've racked up 10,000 miles on the old girl.

I was recently entered into a 2 day indoor show. On move in day I was assigned a spot next to 5 cars, all really nice street rods. I overheard a couple of the guys complaining they were parked next to "that piece of s...", that would be me. LOL. Well, from Saturday morning until Sunday evening my truck was surrounded by spectators, who knows how many pictures were taken, the street rodder guys really hate me now. LOL.

Anyway, who cares what other folks think, build your vehicle to suit your desires/goals. Just remember to be respectful of the other guy's choices, he probably worked just as hard on his as you did on yours.

Well said!

sanford&daughter 04-16-2014 05:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here the 55

STOCKISH 04-16-2014 11:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Not sure if Ive posted mine here or not. So, Heres my 54, C4 IFS and IRS, tube chassis I built, etc. Long ways to go but getting there.

mud.man.rj 04-17-2014 12:09 AM

Do rims and tires and a lowered stance ever make a huge difference from the first pic, looks like a cool project.

59 Fleetside 04-18-2014 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 55 carryall i got on sunday

59 Fleetside 04-18-2014 06:46 AM

55 carryall

59 Fleetside 04-18-2014 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear clamshell