The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

mosel70 09-18-2018 09:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
After 8 months of sanding, sent ‘70 stepside to the painter. Paint done, today is buff n polish day. Can’t wait to get her back in my own garage for reassembly.
The whole paint process began due to wanting to replace the tailgate that had a dent in it from my son-in-law when transporting it from Ft Worth to home in Las Vegas two years ago. Great kid though. He took my old tailgate and made a bench out of it for my birthday last month.
Posted via Mobile Device

MARTINSR 09-18-2018 09:43 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Right on!

Brian

mosel70 09-18-2018 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to add pic of first polished panel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Black_Sheep 09-18-2018 02:29 PM

Looking good...

MARTINSR 09-18-2018 02:47 PM

I love the art made from car parts like that bench, very cool.

Brian

Black_Sheep 09-18-2018 10:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8347015)
I love the art made from car parts like that bench, very cool.

Brian

When the truck is done I'm going to make a garage bar with my old tailgate. Stay tuned.

Tonight I'm working on the interior. If I could carry the bench up from the basement by myself, it would be in too...

oldman3 09-18-2018 11:30 PM

Mark, interior is looking suuuuuper...Jim

MARTINSR 09-18-2018 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the inner hood brace cut up and working. It took a little recess in the cowl right at the fender as It thought it would a few days ago so all is good. I am pleased with it. I also painted a few parts for under the dash.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 09-19-2018 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Going back together after the sender plug fiasco. To save my back, I lowered the head down onto the engine with a cherry picker. Although it's difficult working on the engine in the truck, I'd much rather do that than take the front sheet metal off.

Dyslexic Dog 09-19-2018 09:44 PM

What I have been doing is building a garage with a lift to rebuild a 59 Apache. I brought the truck to the garage today. Lots of work to do. .......

cid:165f4a06681af1f11a81

Dyslexic Dog 09-19-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dog (Post 8347887)
What I have been doing is building a garage with a lift to rebuild a 59 Apache. I brought the truck to the garage today. Lots of work to do. .......

cid:165f4a06681af1f11a81

Ah, i suck at computers. No pic, but my garage is covered and sealed, not sided. The truck is inside and at home. Thanks to all for all of the info on where I should go with the build. I just wanted to start at the beginning and go from there on this thread. This is what I did on my truck today.

Black_Sheep 09-19-2018 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Things are happening again tonight...

mikebte 09-19-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8347911)
Things are happening again tonight...

That looks like an absolute show piece

oldman3 09-19-2018 10:56 PM

Very nice...Jim

DransportGarage 09-19-2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dog (Post 8347893)
Ah, i suck at computers. No pic, but my garage is covered and sealed, not sided. The truck is inside and at home. Thanks to all for all of the info on where I should go with the build. I just wanted to start at the beginning and go from there on this thread. This is what I did on my truck today.

Once your garage is complete enough to start on the truck you might consider starting a build thread. That way all of your stuff is in one place, and you can still make entries here whenever you feel like it. Good luck with both projects!

Dyslexic Dog 09-19-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8347948)
Once your garage is complete enough to start on the truck you might consider starting a build thread. That way all of your stuff is in one place, and you can still make entries here whenever you feel like it. Good luck with both projects!

Thanks

MARTINSR 09-20-2018 12:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I worked on the rad support tonight. Removed the brace on the side that had been cut up and removed the good one off my one out of the front clip. I always have to think of guy who welded those spot welds when I remove one. The man was feeding his family doing those welds.

I also have to think how far we have came in this stuff when years ago I would have been cutting a piece of metal and welding it on that brace to repair it instead of simply drilling the spot welds out "unbolting" it and doing the same on the donor and welding it back on just like it was never touched, cool.

I also cleaned up some hack work that was done to the replacement rad support, drilled out the rusted and broken off bolt and drilled it out, and ran a tap through the hole so it's ready to go. Chased the threads with the tap in all the other nuts too.

I also straightened the metal support rods so they look good. I am thinking I am going to weld the upper tie bar on like it was from the factory. I was planning on bolting it, but now I am thinking I will weld it on like it was from the factory, done deal. Once I get this thing finished I can just have it powder coated.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 09-20-2018 12:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Re-installed the intake manifold, distributor, spark plugs, adjusted valves and installed the covers. Another day or two and I may have this thing back to square one.

mikebte 09-20-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8348011)
Re-installed the intake manifold, distributor, spark plugs, adjusted valves and installed the covers. Another day or two and I may have this thing back to square one.

Your doing good, way better than what you first anticipated
:metal:

MARTINSR 09-20-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8348011)

There you go!

Brian:metal:

Black_Sheep 09-20-2018 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know it doesn't look like much but all of the front end hardware is tight, the front splash apron is on and the headlamps are in. I need to find the headlight bezel screws, they are around here somewhere...

mikebte 09-20-2018 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tested operations, pulled it out of the garage (under its own power) and got pulled back in front ways. Now that it is away from the wall and I can walk around the truck, I can maybe get stuff done. As you can see, it has been backed in for years and my bike was over the bed.
Secondly I would like to add the CPP power disc brakes and power steering worked awesome.

MiraclePieCo 09-21-2018 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8348073)
Your doing good, way better than what you first anticipated :metal:

I've been neglecting everything else to get it done, but had to take today off because my back can't take all those hours bent over the fenders.

MiraclePieCo 09-21-2018 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8348525)
Tested operations, pulled it out of the garage (under its own power) and got pulled back in front ways. Now that it is away from the wall and I can walk around the truck, I can maybe get stuff done. As you can see, it has been backed in for years and my bike was over the bed.
Secondly I would like to add the CPP power disc brakes and power steering worked awesome.

That's great, what a milestone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8348471)
I need to find the headlight bezel screws, they are around here somewhere...

If you're like me, you'll find them immediately AFTER you go buy another set.

MARTINSR 09-21-2018 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got out there and cut some stuff off the old rad support to use to patch the replacement one (you know it's right then. :D) and I got that welded on to the replacement, it's got weld thru primer applied and ready to finish up tomorrow.

Brian