The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Alan's Classic 09-10-2009 09:50 PM

Re: My 1965 build thread

I had to do something to make me feel better.

This is the adhesive I used on the door weatherstrip.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC01255.jpg

This is all I put on. Less is more I hope. I might regret it in time. Did I mention this is my first time messing with this kind of weatherstrips. Your supposed to put the adhesive on both sides. Yeah right can you imagine the mess that would be. I can always put more on the loose spots. I'm thinking it will be fine. I did the passenger side door first. I'll check it tommorrow to se how well it sticks.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC01256.jpg

This is the excess. I did not stretch it. I just let it lay in place and scrunched it up just a tad for shrinkage in the future.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC01257.jpg

Cross section of the rubber

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC01258.jpg

Joint after cut

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC01259.jpg

Taped in place

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC01262.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC01263.jpg

ruffrida2005 09-10-2009 10:15 PM

I wish there was a better way to attach it on the bottom. What about welding a small strip of flat stock on the rocker for the seal to sit on.

jsmithbm 09-10-2009 10:31 PM

The work is coming along. :metal:

Alan's Classic 09-10-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3512498)
I wish there was a better way to attach it on the bottom. What about welding a small strip of flat stock on the rocker for the seal to sit on.

I've got a lip on the bottom. It's hard to see in the pic. It's part of the outer rocker.;)

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC07154.jpg

4dranch 09-10-2009 10:47 PM

Nice work Alan. where do you get your weatherstrip from??

Alan's Classic 09-10-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3512572)
Nice work Alan. where do you get your weatherstrip from??

Thanks David. i wish I new where the weatherstrips came from. I got them from a guy that is now out of business. Even the front and back glass weatherstrips bags don't have any info other than a part number. There isn't a company name on it.

ruffrida2005 09-10-2009 11:08 PM

Mine dont have any lip on them at all!

4dranch 09-10-2009 11:12 PM

Thanks Alan..
Just curious because it looks like a softer rubber than others i've seen which looks to make it lay flatter and has less memory.

Alan's Classic 09-10-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3512614)
Mine dont have any lip on them at all!

Where did they go? The rust monster get em'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3512622)
Thanks Alan..
Just curious because it looks like a softer rubber than others i've seen which looks to make it lay flatter and has less memory.

There is a guy that can still get a hold of him. If I can remember to have him call him the next time I see him, I will let you know if I find out anything.

JRBECK64 09-11-2009 01:04 AM

Alan's Classics,
I cant wait to see the finished product. You have really put some time into that truck. I noticed air vents in the dash next to the Glove Box. Are you putting in air conditioning or is that a standard feature on the 65? I have been thinking about putting Air in my Sons truck but at this point im thinking more about him putting in the air. Anyway nice truck.

JRBECK64

Alan's Classic 09-11-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRBECK64 (Post 3512775)
Alan's Classics,
I cant wait to see the finished product. You have really put some time into that truck. I noticed air vents in the dash next to the Glove Box. Are you putting in air conditioning or is that a standard feature on the 65? I have been thinking about putting Air in my Sons truck but at this point im thinking more about him putting in the air. Anyway nice truck.

JRBECK64

Thanks for the compliment. My truck didn't come with AC. I don't know how much you have followed my build, but there is nothing factory about my dash. ;) I completely removed the 65 dash and put a 59 Impala dash. I will be installing a Vintage Air system. Thanks for watching.

JRBECK64 09-11-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3512922)
Thanks for the compliment. My truck didn't come with AC. I don't know how much you have followed my build, but there is nothing factory about my dash. ;) I completely removed the 65 dash and put a 59 Impala dash. I will be installing a Vintage Air system. Thanks for watching.

Alan's Classic,
When I saw the picture of the dash it didn't seem quite right. I also have a 63 Shortwide and I knew it didn't look like that one either so that is what left me scratching my head. Anyway I have been thinking about when I restore my 56 Bigwindow Short Step that I would put vintage air in that one. I cant imagine the fab work and time it must have taken to get that dash to fit. I am really new to this bodywork and fab work so when I see people doing this kind of work it really impresses me. My Sons 64 is the 4th Truck I have restored to this point. If I were to write a book on what I have done so far it would be titled (What Not To Do in a Restoration). I will say this, I am learning everytime I do one of these old trucks. One of the biggest things I think I have learned so far is not to get in a hurry and do it right the first time. Look forward to your future posts.
JRBECK64

MacAttack 09-11-2009 02:09 PM

Clean rubber installation, Alan. Love this thread - much better than my soap opera.

Mac. :lol:

Strodder 09-11-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3513437)
Clean rubber installation, Alan. Love this thread - much better than my soap opera.

You have a Soap Opera Build? :haha:

MacAttack 09-11-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3513478)

Yeah. Unfortunately. :waah:

likaroc13 09-11-2009 03:30 PM

nice...i need to re-do my door rubber & was wondering what adhesive to use...the PO had used some some Gorilla Glue, so I'm wondering how much of a PIA that's gonna be to remove

Strodder 09-11-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 3513539)
nice...i need to re-do my door rubber & was wondering what adhesive to use...the PO had used some some Gorilla Glue, so I'm wondering how much of a PIA that's gonna be to remove

I use this. Cover both sides lightly, smear it a little with your finger, and let it get tacky then install the weatherstrip. Don't put too much or you will have a mess using out.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...08001_main.jpg

Alan's Classic 09-11-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRBECK64 (Post 3512932)
Alan's Classic,
When I saw the picture of the dash it didn't seem quite right. I also have a 63 Shortwide and I knew it didn't look like that one either so that is what left me scratching my head. Anyway I have been thinking about when I restore my 56 Bigwindow Short Step that I would put vintage air in that one. I cant imagine the fab work and time it must have taken to get that dash to fit. I am really new to this bodywork and fab work so when I see people doing this kind of work it really impresses me. My Sons 64 is the 4th Truck I have restored to this point. If I were to write a book on what I have done so far it would be titled (What Not To Do in a Restoration). I will say this, I am learning everytime I do one of these old trucks. One of the biggest things I think I have learned so far is not to get in a hurry and do it right the first time. Look forward to your future posts.
JRBECK64

Other than the Impala dash lookin' cool. My goal was to make it look factory. If people aren't familiar enough with these old trucks they will never know, unless it is pointed out. Several people have looked at it and didn't know any difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3513437)

Thanks Mac!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3513478)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3513480)
Yeah. Unfortunately. :waah:

:haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 3513539)

I don't have any solvent in mind that would help remove it. I can only imagine how hard and crusty it is. There's easy ways to remove it, but it will take the paint also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3514026)
I use this. Cover both sides lightly, smear it a little with your finger, and let it get tacky then install the weatherstrip. Don't put too much or you will have a mess using out.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...08001_main.jpg

:agree: My picture didn't show the part # Thanks Dennis for taking up my slack. :haha:

I didn't have enough adhesive on it last night. i had to go back around it and put some more.

Strodder 09-11-2009 10:02 PM

I'm here for you buddy :metal:

1964C10 09-11-2009 10:17 PM

Nice work Alan! that orange color is just awesome! Btw I love that picture with the weedeater underneath the cab lol, I can only imagine!

likaroc13 09-11-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3514042)
I don't have any solvent in mind that would help remove it. I can only imagine how hard and crusty it is. There's easy ways to remove it, but it will take the paint also.

yeah, i'll have to look again...i think most of it is at the upper portion of the cab...i think i'm gonna have the top painted white anyway, so if it removes the paint that wouldn't be a big deal...it still sucks tho

jsmithbm 09-11-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1964C10 (Post 3514090)
Nice work Alan! that orange color is just awesome! Btw I love that picture with the weedeater underneath the cab lol, I can only imagine!

You should see the Coon dog do the yard work with it! I think he is training it to use the riding mower to! :lol:
_
Couldn't resist Alan, See ya Saturday at the Show.

Alan's Classic 09-12-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3514051)
I'm here for you buddy :metal:

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1964C10 (Post 3514090)

Thanks, the orange looks better in person. The flash shows the real brightness of it for the most part. It's got so much dust on it now the flash doesn't help much.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 3514139)
yeah, i'll have to look again...i think most of it is at the upper portion of the cab...i think i'm gonna have the top painted white anyway, so if it removes the paint that wouldn't be a big deal...it still sucks tho

Good luck with it. Try thinner or goo gone if you have any. I doubt it will work, but worth a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithbm (Post 3514181)
You should see the Coon dog do the yard work with it! I think he is training it to use the riding mower to! :lol:
_

:haha: Hell, I can't teach it too block sand. It will be late if I make it to the show. Gotta BD party to go too 3-5 PM If I make it down there I will call you.

Alan's Classic 09-12-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithbm (Post 3514181)
_

This saturday is not the show it's the 3rd saturday. Next weekend.

ruffrida2005 09-12-2009 03:14 PM

Alan I keep trying to give you rep points but it wont let me.