The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Alan's Classic 03-14-2011 09:59 PM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR65 (Post 4553060)
Hey Alan,

Here is a pic of mine I took so I could remember how it went.

The big spring goes from the very bottom hole in the pic to the rear cross member with a little hook rod that acts as an extension.

TR

Thanks TR, that's funny I was doing a search and found that pic earlier and downloaded it. I couldn't remember who's pic it was. I was going to up load it for comparison, but didn't. Because I forgot. :lol: I don't have the link on the upper left of your assy. Maybe it didn't have it. I did find some more things to go along with it. Just have to wait on parts to arrive. I tried searching for factory service manuals. Guess I was doing something wrong. :lol:

Alan's Classic 03-15-2011 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent the night looking for parts, sand blasting some small stuff and finished up the pass vent window. All it needs now is a glass.

56taskforce 03-15-2011 12:40 PM

Oh man I can't wait:metal:But where did all thoughs extra parts for the e-brake come from:pty:I would like to help but all my trucks are BIG and the e-brakes are on the drive lines.;)

SFTorange 03-15-2011 08:43 PM

Has anyone ever installed the 1966 e-brake setup on one of the earlier trucks? It is much simpler, and doesn't require a crossmember.

198plus 03-15-2011 09:08 PM

Do tell.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTorange (Post 4555180)
Has anyone ever installed the 1966 e-brake setup on one of the earlier trucks? It is much simpler, and doesn't require a crossmember.

Alan's Classic 03-16-2011 12:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 56taskforce (Post 4554325)
Oh man I can't wait:metal:But where did all thoughs extra parts for the e-brake come from:pty:I would like to help but all my trucks are BIG and the e-brakes are on the drive lines.;)

You know how extra parts accumilate. :haha: Horse trading and I did part one out. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTorange (Post 4555180)

Never heard of anyone do it. Not even familiar with the earlier setup.

Goodies arrived today. I bought a complete firewall grommet kit. I will only be using the speedo and ebrake grommet for now (2 on the left). Not even sure which grommet is for the speedo cable. I think it is the one with the angled hole thru the center.

I probably could have gone to the local parts house for the battery cables, but it is easier to just click it and have it mailed. ;)

I got the vent window installed temporarily. Also installed the front ebrake cable, speedo cable, left door regulator.

SFTorange 03-16-2011 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I was shopping for new e-brake cables, I noticed in the catalogs that the 66 trucks use a different setup than the 60-65's. They came up with a new system for '66 that eliminated the complicated bracket/linkage setup and replaced it with a setup that only uses cables and a couple of rods. It is easy to work around when you swap out your stock transmission for an automatic, and it looks like some guys have replaced the earlier crossmember style brake setup with one from a '66. I'm out of town tonight, so I don't have any pics of mine, but I tracked down this page on Woogeroo's site.

http://sites.google.com/site/woogero...1966c10ebrakes

Here is a diagram from the 1966 shop manual that shows how it works.

I hope this helps. It seems like guys spend a lot of time getting their e-brakes to work right when it might be easier to swap out to the '66 style.

Strodder 03-16-2011 10:06 AM

Looks like Christmas Allan.:lol:
I'm using the 73 e-brake set up, with a foot pedal. :metal:

Alan's Classic 03-16-2011 10:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTorange (Post 4555942)
When I was shopping for new e-brake cables, I noticed in the catalogs that the 66 trucks use a different setup than the 60-65's. They came up with a new system for '66 that eliminated the complicated bracket/linkage setup and replaced it with a setup that only uses cables and a couple of rods. It is easy to work around when you swap out your stock transmission for an automatic, and it looks like some guys have replaced the earlier crossmember style brake setup with one from a '66. I'm out of town tonight, so I don't have any pics of mine, but I tracked down this page on Woogeroo's site.

http://sites.google.com/site/woogero...1966c10ebrakes

Here is a diagram from the 1966 shop manual that shows how it works.

I hope this helps. It seems like guys spend a lot of time getting their e-brakes to work right when it might be easier to swap out to the '66 style.

Thanks for the pic. I remember that style now. I'm still looking for a pic like that for my style ebrake. I don't have a FSM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4556369)
Looks like Christmas Allan.:lol:
I'm using the 73 e-brake set up, with a foot pedal. :metal:

I should have preplanned for that. :lol:

Filled in the spot welds on one side of the TG and header. I used the tape to keep from making a mess. If filler gets in a crack it is a PITA to sand out. It makes for easy cleanup.

Strodder 03-16-2011 10:08 PM

Nice job Allan. :thumbs:

structures 03-17-2011 11:59 AM

you really pay attention to those details man. Looks great.

flips72 03-17-2011 05:33 PM

like structures said attention to details, that is what will make your truck stand out in a crowd. excellent work.

Alan's Classic 03-17-2011 06:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4557890)
Nice job Allan. :thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by structures (Post 4558861)
you really pay attention to those details man. Looks great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 4559424)
like structures said attention to details, that is what will make your truck stand out in a crowd. excellent work.

Thanks guys!! The attention to details are killing me. I'm to the point I want it done. :lol: So I have been over looking somethings in the body work. Most people will never ever see or notice. Trying to let go of my OCD. :haha:

Primed bed and other parts. Slicking out the inside of the TG wasn't easy. They make a great TG, but to slick it out took a little more wiping than just spot welds. Don't get me wrong I love the TG, but to get it to the next level took a little work. It's not perfect now, I'm letting it slide. ;)

Strodder 03-17-2011 08:47 PM

WOW looks perfect. :metal:

awbrown 03-17-2011 09:15 PM

Being a member of this board does two things , One , you get to see just how good other guys on the forum are .. And second it forces me to try new things , in hopes of someday doing work that is better (not ever equal to yours Alan ) .. Tonight I replaced the trans tunnel and shifter in my 63.. The one that was in it was hacked bad , and the one that was replacing it needed a corner replaced .. the hacked one had a good corner ,so I thought I would try to do it right instead of overlapping them like I do most of the time ... after fitting the pieces and welding it all together I thought to myself "Alan must be rubbing off on me" .. Then I reviewed some of your work and came back to real life.....

flips72 03-17-2011 10:29 PM

bed and tailgate look great, i wish a thousand times over i would have just brought mine to you and let you do it. great work, cant wait to see some color on it.

Alan's Classic 03-19-2011 12:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4559812)
WOW looks perfect. :metal:

Thanks Dennis, it's not perfect, but it will look good. :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by awbrown (Post 4559882)
Being a member of this board does two things , One , you get to see just how good other guys on the forum are .. And second it forces me to try new things , in hopes of someday doing work that is better (not ever equal to yours Alan ) .. Tonight I replaced the trans tunnel and shifter in my 63.. The one that was in it was hacked bad , and the one that was replacing it needed a corner replaced .. the hacked one had a good corner ,so I thought I would try to do it right instead of overlapping them like I do most of the time ... after fitting the pieces and welding it all together I thought to myself "Alan must be rubbing off on me" .. Then I reviewed some of your work and came back to real life.....

Congrats on your accomplishment. All you can do is give it a shot and it sounds like you succeeded. Awesome!!!

You as well as others make it seem as though I do no wrong. ;) I appreciate it. The fact is things are not always as they appear in pics. You ever seen a truck advertised and it looks good in pics until you get there and wonder if it was the same truck. Mine might not be that extreme of a case. I'm a normal guy just trying to share the experience and hope help someone in the process. Thanks for the kudos. Keep trying new task you will be amazed at what you can do with a little imagination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 4560158)
bed and tailgate look great, i wish a thousand times over i would have just brought mine to you and let you do it. great work, cant wait to see some color on it.

Thanks Flip, it's taken 4 years almost to get to this point. I'm kind of slow. ;) You will get a better satisfaction of doing it your self. I hope to have it painted with in a month depending on the work load at work. I just hope it matches the cab. :lol:

I spent anout and 1.5hr blocking the TG and about 3 hr blocking the outside of one bedside. Blocking is a critical step. This is being blocked with 320. If it all blocks out good I will guide coat again and block with 600.

I also forgot to tell ya that when I primed the new parts I used an etch primer on all of the bare metal. Etch cannot be sprayed over filler. After the etch I sprayed PPG K38 primer.

Strodder 03-19-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4562415)
Etch cannot be sprayed over filler. After the etch I sprayed PPG K38 primer.

I didn't know that. I do it all the time with no problems. :uhmk:
Why can't you use etching primer over filler???

Alan's Classic 03-19-2011 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4562809)
I didn't know that. I do it all the time with no problems. :uhmk:
Why can't you use etching primer over filler???

I did some searching, tho most of the peoples responses are all over the place. I've been told and have read the etch primers are for metal only. There might not be any adverse reactions in spraying over filler. I also read it is "old school" and epoxy primers have replaced the etch primers. I'm not a chemist, but try to inform myself as much as possible. ;) Here is Duponts PDF on their etch primer.

Here is a quote out of the PDF

Quote:

Application
Substrates
Properly prepared/cleaned steel, aluminum and galvanized

I picked up this VGC 63 grill with T3 lights. It's complete. I'm thinking about going and getting the headlight mount panel. It was in good condition as well. I'm not going to use it on my truck, just know they are desirable.

Strodder 03-19-2011 10:59 PM

Thanks for the info. Nice grill. If I didn't just buy a new chrome one I might want it. ;)

XtechX 03-21-2011 07:15 PM

Re: My 1965 build thread

Alan- Did you ever find a vent handle stud for you vent windows? I'm having the same problem, I cant seem to find a new stud. I have tried to fab one, but not sure how to attach it to the window...weld it on or what...any thoughts??? Also looking for the little chrome rectangle chrome that goes on the division bar if you know where I might be able to find one. Thanks Alan..your wisdom os always appreciated.

Alan's Classic 03-21-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtechX (Post 4568030)
Alan- Did you ever find a vent handle stud for you vent windows? I'm having the same problem, I cant seem to find a new stud. I have tried to fab one, but not sure how to attach it to the window...weld it on or what...any thoughts??? Also looking for the little chrome rectangle chrome that goes on the division bar if you know where I might be able to find one. Thanks Alan..your wisdom os always appreciated.

The last time I checked there is not a repair kit. The piece you are making will have to welded on. The rectangle piece isnt available as far as I know. That would be fairly easy to make. I have a few extra window frames laying around. LMK if you need one.
Posted via Mobile Device

XtechX 03-21-2011 07:56 PM

I will have to check and see what side I need. I know I need the chrome piece for one side and the pivot on the other...lol. How much do you need for a vent window frame?
thanks.

Strodder 03-21-2011 08:09 PM

That's why I love this Forum. :metal:

greg65 03-21-2011 08:44 PM

Nice grille Alan. Are you going to paint it or have it chromed?

Alan's Classic 03-22-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtechX (Post 4568129)
I will have to check and see what side I need. I know I need the chrome piece for one side and the pivot on the other...lol. How much do you need for a vent window frame?
thanks.

Let me know what you need exactly thru a PM and I will check what I have and condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4568160)
That's why I love this Forum. :metal:

Amen brother!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 4568269)
Nice grille Alan. Are you going to paint it or have it chromed?

I don't need it. I'm considering selling it.

structures 03-24-2011 12:27 PM

Alan, I was reading one of your post the other day about cavity wax being ideal for restoration. With the panel replacements I've been doing I've been going in and por-15'ing the internals of my 65 cab with an undercoating gun and 3 foot wand. Then I got to thinking I'm doing all this welding afterwords so it's most likely just burning off a lot of this paint.

I just wanted your opinion. Do you use this stuff a lot? What does it take to apply it? I seen some 3M cavity wax wands online but I wonder if I could use my own undercoating gun (it's an eastwood cheapy)? How thick is this stuff? I guess I'm looking for the "cavity wax for dummies" cliff notes? Sorry if I'm asking a loaded question here, I just don't know anything about the stuff.

Alan's Classic 03-24-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by structures (Post 4574527)
Alan, I was reading one of your post the other day about cavity wax being ideal for restoration. With the panel replacements I've been doing I've been going in and por-15'ing the internals of my 65 cab with an undercoating gun and 3 foot wand. Then I got to thinking I'm doing all this welding afterwords so it's most likely just burning off a lot of this paint.

I just wanted your opinion. Do you use this stuff a lot? What does it take to apply it? I seen some 3M cavity wax wands online but I wonder if I could use my own undercoating gun (it's an eastwood cheapy)? How thick is this stuff? I guess I'm looking for the "cavity wax for dummies" cliff notes? Sorry if I'm asking a loaded question here, I just don't know anything about the stuff.

I use it as needed. It's a sprayable waxy substance. It comes out very thin and runny. Once the solvent dries it leaves the coating.

Here is a link to what I am using. It's Kent inner panel rustproofer PN P60305

Here is the optional 360* spray pattern wand. Kent's PN KT14725

structures 03-24-2011 02:40 PM

thanks a lot, I'll try it out.

XtechX 03-24-2011 05:08 PM

Hey Alan, I sent a pm about the vent window frame, I hope it went through correctly?
Needing the passenger frame, thanks.

Alan's Classic 03-24-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtechX (Post 4575022)
Hey Alan, I sent a pm about the vent window frame, I hope it went through correctly?
Needing the passenger frame, thanks.

It never came thru. I PM'd you just now. ;)

XtechX 03-25-2011 09:04 PM

I sent a reply, hopefully it works this time. Maybe im just flat out doing it wrong...lol

Alan's Classic 03-25-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtechX (Post 4577734)
I sent a reply, hopefully it works this time. Maybe im just flat out doing it wrong...lol

I got it, it takes a little getting use to.;) Replied back.

duallyjams 03-26-2011 08:33 AM

So after chew en the fat are going to have a how to seminar ( all the amazing work that you have done on your truck ) :dig:

Alan's Classic 03-26-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 4578622)
So after chew en the fat are going to have a how to seminar ( all the amazing work that you have done on your truck ) :dig:

I wish, ;) I have prior comitments afterwards.

Making some progress.

Used the inner panel rustproofer in the cab supports and rockers.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC03777.jpg

I put some paper down to catch the run out.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC03781.jpg

Wiped the excess off while it was still wet after pics were taken.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC03779.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC03780.jpg

Made more progress will post later......

Alan's Classic 03-26-2011 08:29 PM

Got the column seal and retainer plate installed. It also shows the speedo cable installed and ebrake cable. The ebrake isn't connected underneath yet.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSC03775.JPG

Installed the Jeg's mini starter.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSC03764.JPG

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSC03768.JPG
Dirty throttle linkage.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSC03776.JPG

Cleaned and painted.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSC03782.JPG

joe231 03-26-2011 09:12 PM

nice work Alan!!
the devil is certainly in the details...

where can I get some of that "inner panel rustproofer"
EDIT:
nevermind i just read up a few posts and found the info ;)

Alan's Classic 03-27-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 4579996)
nice work Alan!!
the devil is certainly in the details...

where can I get some of that "inner panel rustproofer"
EDIT:
nevermind i just read up a few posts and found the info ;)

:thumbs: Thanks Joe!

I entered my 55 in TOTM contest. Click here to see the results, it's lagging behind. ;)

Vernski 03-28-2011 03:38 AM

Hi Alan I was thinking of buying a paint spray-gun and was wondering what you thought of Eastwoods kits they are offering and or what you would recommend? The one I was looking at was for primer & paint thanks...Vernski:gi:??

Alan's Classic 03-28-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4583223)
Hi Alan I was thinking of buying a paint spray-gun and was wondering what you thought of Eastwoods kits they are offering and or what you would recommend? The one I was looking at was for primer & paint thanks...Vernski:gi:??

Hey Vern, that's a tough one. Everybody has their preference. I can't speak of eastwoods guns, I can't remember what they look like. I have 2 guns. It would be great if I had three. I would have a primer, color and clear gun. Mine were $75ea off matco tool truck several years ago. They work good, but don't atomize the paint as well as a Sata or Iwata. I use the painters guns at work and man what a difference. I love the Iwatas. It's hard to get metallics out of my gun without zebra stripping. I've gotten use to them.

To answer your question I would first determin if your spraying solid color or metallic. If your spraying clear make sure you have a clear only gun if money permits. No matter how well you clean your gun something will come out and it won't be the same color as the base coat. Been there and done that. You can make do with one gun just be ready for contaminants. It doesn't happen much, but when it does you will have a few choice words. Check pawn shops, ebay or even craigslist you never know what you might find. Clen them up good and maybe a seal kit. The paint you will be shooting will tell you on the can which tip to use.

I hope this answered your question. It's a tough one.