The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

gringoloco 03-15-2019 07:21 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8487517)
You need to make a trip to Lone Star Thorwdown (LST) next year, when it's finished. It's out here just north of Houston in February.

Ha, you’re more optimistic on schedule than I am. We are definitely planning on hitting all of the good stuff once we’re down that way
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8487548)
Very nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8487560)
Damn! Them some fine looking pieces you got there. Good work! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 8487602)
That interior is going to be outstanding! Nice job

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8487621)
Sweet! Those look great and will compliment your truck nicely.

I want to upgrade all my stuff now.... It's hard to resist the urges, heck my stage 1 build is already more like a stage 1 and 2 combined.....

:chevy:

Thanks guys, it never ends...
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8487667)
Blue Houndstooth? What's the color/info on the other material? I'm on the hunt for retro (appearance & color) blue material that doesn't break the back.

Look for ENDURATEX Madrid 2309 CLASSIC Metallic Medium Blue Vinyl

SCOTI 03-15-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8487783)

Look for ENDURATEX Madrid 2309 CLASSIC Metallic Medium Blue Vinyl

Have you found a rattle can dye that matches the vinyl?

rustytruck50 03-15-2019 10:26 PM

That upholstery is pretty sweet and really goes the extra mile to make the truck unique!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

gringoloco 03-16-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8487796)
Have you found a rattle can dye that matches the vinyl?

The last can I used was ordered from a Corvette restoration shop, as those cars used the same blue metallic vinyl. I don’t know how close this vinyl I’ve ordered will match the stock stuff, though, which is why I had them go ahead and re-cover the visors and dash pad, too. I can do a comparison against my armrests, which were painted with the rattle can, once the new pieces arrive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8487965)
That upholstery is pretty sweet and really goes the extra mile to make the truck unique!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the kudos. Going for stock-ish, but not quite. Most non-C-10 folks probably won’t even look twice :cool:

knomadd 03-16-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8487783)
Ha, you’re more optimistic on schedule than I am. We are definitely planning on hitting all of the good stuff once we’re down that way

You can do it! It doesn't have to be "done." It doesn't even have to run, but it's a lot easier to get in and out if it does.

SCOTI 03-16-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8488273)
The last can I used was ordered from a Corvette restoration shop, as those cars used the same blue metallic vinyl. I don’t know how close this vinyl I’ve ordered will match the stock stuff, though, which is why I had them go ahead and re-cover the visors and dash pad, too. I can do a comparison against my armrests, which were painted with the rattle can, once the new pieces arrive.

I'll watch for the updates. Thanks!

Last_Paladin 03-16-2019 08:12 PM

Did I miss it? How'd you get a MAF into the air cleaner?

gringoloco 03-16-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8488304)
You can do it! It doesn't have to be "done." It doesn't even have to run, but it's a lot easier to get in and out if it does.

I’ll just be happy to have it together enough to get on a trailer in a couple of months
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8488386)
I'll watch for the updates. Thanks!

No worries, should have everything in a few weeks
Quote:

Originally Posted by Last_Paladin (Post 8488517)
Did I miss it? How'd you get a MAF into the air cleaner?

MAF-less, speed-density via Fitech, but Holley’s new Terminator X is looking pretty good to me now. Check out dayj1’s “another way to skin the cat” thread for a good example of how to hide the MAF in a tall air cleaner. I’ve also seen guys use the cartridge type in the snorkel

gringoloco 03-16-2019 10:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My new bellhousing arrived and I got right to bolting it on and stabbing the transmission. You can see just under the top-most bolt where the alloy unit has more clearance than the old Lakewood steel one. This is where the rear cover bolts needed some wiggle room. The new one is from Silver Sport, and is made specifically for LS to Muncie conversions. Should also work well with a TKO, if/when I decide to go that route and saves what feels like 60 lbs...

No pictures of the hydraulic throw out, but it set up beautifully with proper clearance. I couldn’t resist bolting up the Hurst shifter and pretending to row through the gears :burnout:

gringoloco 03-16-2019 10:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
...and a few shots of the engine sitting in its rightful place. I particularly like the last one showing how nicely everything tucks up with the dropmember.

smbrouss70 03-17-2019 12:02 PM

You are making me want to do an LS swap....

gringoloco 03-17-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8488900)
You are making me want to do an LS swap....

Jump on in, everybody’s doing it! Once this junk is “done”, I’ll be happy to come help :mm:

SCOTI 03-17-2019 02:20 PM

Swap is looking on point!

shearjs 03-17-2019 03:41 PM

Everything looks great! What size is that booster/master set up? Is that a captain fab bracket hiding behind?

gringoloco 03-18-2019 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8488980)
Swap is looking on point!

Thanks Scoti!
Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 8489027)
Everything looks great! What size is that booster/master set up? Is that a captain fab bracket hiding behind?

Thanks, the booster is a 9” dual diaphragm from inline tube, wilwood master, and captainfab bracket with integrated clutch master

aggie91 03-18-2019 11:37 AM

Looking good from here!

Nice job Chris.

lks dcvn 03-19-2019 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just spent the last week going through this build thread and found myself writing down ideas to follow up on and parts to look into for a few of my builds.

Excellent work on all fronts Chris - you are doing top notch stuff!

What shifter boot are you considering for the Muncie? I replaced the one in the 70 GMC Jimmy with a new one (Amazon cheapie) and it ripped after using it for driving in/out of the garage... I should have known.

TA_C10 03-19-2019 10:06 PM

That engine is looking sick in the bay man. Top Notch.

gringoloco 03-19-2019 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8489624)
Looking good from here!

Nice job Chris.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8490629)
That engine is looking sick in the bay man. Top Notch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 8490627)
Just spent the last week going through this build thread and found myself writing down ideas to follow up on and parts to look into for a few of my builds.

Excellent work on all fronts Chris - you are doing top notch stuff!

What shifter boot are you considering for the Muncie? I replaced the one in the 70 GMC Jimmy with a new one (Amazon cheapie) and it ripped after using it for driving in/out of the garage... I should have known.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I just do the things I think are cool, I’m glad others seem to like it as well :cool:

As for the shift boot, the plan is for a factory (or re-pop, most likely) oval-shaped 4wd boot and trim ring, just keeping with the stock-ish theme. Hurst makes this handy little piece to adapt the flat handle to a round-ish boot hole:

https://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/...ommet-p590.htm

gringoloco 03-19-2019 11:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had some power steering hoses made-up at the local hydraulics shop yesterday. Quick turn, cheap, and fit nicely. The high-side snakes behind the tensioner bracket, while low side has a pretty much straight shot to the reservoir.

That allowed pressing-on of the pump pulley and then measuring for the serpentine belt. I’m happy to report that it only took two trips to the LAPS to get the right one :lol: Baby steps...

C10_ustacould 03-20-2019 03:28 PM

You're killing it Chris, one step at a time. Your patience and eye for detail are paying off for sure!

rustytruck50 03-21-2019 03:50 PM

Wow...the fit of the engine in that drop member is perfect....I dont know if you could even fab something remotely close to that at home!

gringoloco 03-21-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 8491034)
You're killing it Chris, one step at a time. Your patience and eye for detail are paying off for sure!

Thanks, buddy! I may have to back off on the detail work for a bit, it’s time to get this beast running!
Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8491718)
Wow...the fit of the engine in that drop member is perfect....I dont know if you could even fab something remotely close to that at home!

Not with my skill set, I know my limitations :lol: Definitely a high quality product

halfstep 04-05-2019 11:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Great truck - great work!

...saw that you had some questions re. the clutch rod angle set up on another post and I'm working on the same subject so I thought I'd get you some photo's of an alternative set up - couldn't send photo's via PM so I'm using this post. Might help you and/or others:

This is the NO LIMIT this set up for hydraulic clutch and looks much more straightforward - pulls the clutch master up higher, rod is straight, is on a flatter firewall area and uses the more popular mounting style master which allows for larger and/or remote reservoir. Plate is 3/16"

gringoloco 04-05-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfstep (Post 8501251)
Great truck - great work!

...saw that you had some questions re. the clutch rod angle set up on another post and I'm working on the same subject so I thought I'd get you some photo's of an alternative set up - couldn't send photo's via PM so I'm using this post. Might help you and/or others:

This is the NO LIMIT this set up for hydraulic clutch and looks much more straightforward - pulls the clutch master up higher, rod is straight, is on a flatter firewall area and uses the more popular mounting style master which allows for larger and/or remote reservoir. Plate is 3/16"

Appreciate the compliments :D The NL stuff looks nice, wish I’d known there was another option. I’m pretty far down the road with my current setup, so I’m running with it for now. Thanks for the heads-up!