The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dieselwrencher 11-27-2013 11:43 PM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Sorry, I don't have any drawings of my cross members. I do have a template of a cross member I built for the V Rig, and I do have an Auto World cross member I can take pics of for you too.

madhatterxlch 11-30-2013 02:43 PM

Anything is helpful, if could come up a cad file then I could take it down to my local metal guy and put it on the plasma table.

wutnxt 12-01-2013 04:10 PM

Man....

Drive it don't take it apart....lol....Send that Orange Beast over to my house and i will drive it for you. Wicked ride you have and some awesome skills your truck is a Beast I really like your thread.

I been crazy busy but this is one of the first threads I had to check out when i got back.....I pick up my 24 valve next week so i can be a member of the "Darkside" too ....I might have a 12 valve set up now too...You guy's are a bad influence. So does anyone make a C&C cover so my die hard friends won't have to see that big C word across that cover?.......lmao

ryanroo 12-01-2013 06:04 PM

im not sure you will be able to hide the fact that it is a cummins. somewhat distinguishable sound they make. the 12v "cover" from dodge comes off and leaves just the 6 individual rocker boxes with no brand identification. in my feeble knowledge, i dont know of a 24v cover that doesnt at least say cummins.

jbclassix 12-02-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 6396725)
im not sure you will be able to hide the fact that it is a cummins. somewhat distinguishable sound they make. the 12v "cover" from dodge comes off and leaves just the 6 individual rocker boxes with no brand identification. in my feeble knowledge, i dont know of a 24v cover that doesnt at least say cummins.

Ryan, I've seen some 24v engines in pushers that say SU!WWn) but I don't know what that means.

Dieselwrencher 12-02-2013 08:33 PM

Just mill off the Cummins letters and you will be good to go. Yeah, I know, but this truck is destined for change. :lol: If I keep letting my mind wander it might keep getting changes. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 12-02-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatterxlch (Post 6395207)
Anything is helpful, if could come up a cad file then I could take it down to my local metal guy and put it on the plasma table.

Sorry Dude, no CAD file here. I build my stuff the old fashioned way. Measure and mock up.

6lcummins 12-03-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6398610)
Sorry Dude, no CAD file here. I build my stuff the old fashioned way. Measure and mock up.

Bet you or the other Ryan could build him a setup that would work...

ryanroo 12-03-2013 10:05 PM

oh he could build anything. but nothing he designed works for trucks that arent like his. and hes one expensive a-hole to have work for you.

6lcummins 12-04-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 6400561)
oh he could build anything. but nothing he designed works for trucks that arent like his. and hes one expensive a-hole to have work for you.

This coming from you....

ryanroo 12-04-2013 08:57 PM

Just calling it how i see it...

Dieselwrencher 12-05-2013 08:45 PM

Hey, my neighbor has a Duramax truck for sale. How about some change? :lol:

jbclassix 12-06-2013 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6403783)
Hey, my neighbor has a Duramax truck for sale. How about some change? :lol:

Something wrong with your cranium

rgreathouse 12-07-2013 01:20 AM

Maybe I missed it but what'd you end up with for the hood latch? Truck looks great by the way!

Dieselwrencher 12-09-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgreathouse (Post 6405885)
Maybe I missed it but what'd you end up with for the hood latch? Truck looks great by the way!

Thanks. We ended up moving the intercooler down to where it almost touches the frame. Then the hood latch will fit in there if you shim it up about 1/4". We had to cut my lower support on the bottom of the support and add some pieces to keep the strength in it.

ryanroo 12-09-2013 08:22 PM

you dont have to lower it that much! just move it back into the core support. trim as necessary...

Dieselwrencher 12-10-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 6410135)
you dont have to lower it that much! just move it back into the core support. trim as necessary...

I like how you make that seem like it's a 5 minute task. LMAO :lol:

ryanroo 12-10-2013 09:43 PM

only took a couple of minutes on the internet!

Dieselwrencher 01-23-2014 11:36 PM

Here pretty soon the new transmission is going to be going in the truck. I'm going to be switching out my steering column and going to try to put it in closer to the firewall this time to gain some leg room. I've decided to just use an OEM column shift tilt column and leave the floor shifter for a manual truck. Now the biggest hurdle is to decide whether or not to leave the dodge D60 in it or switch to a ford HP D60 from a dude in Co? Choices choices :lol:

Vintage Windmills 01-23-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6487887)
Here pretty soon the new transmission is going to be going in the truck. I'm going to be switching out my steering column and going to try to put it in closer to the firewall this time to gain some leg room. I've decided to just use an OEM floor shift tilt column and leave the floor shifter for a manual truck. Now the biggest hurdle is to decide whether or not to leave the dodge D60 in it or switch to a ford HP D60 from a dude in Co? Choices choices :lol:

Sweet score on the OEM 4spd tilt column, those are $$$$$ and rare. Then again, this truck is totally worth that kind of investment.

Dieselwrencher 01-23-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills (Post 6487909)
Sweet score on the OEM 4spd tilt column, those are $$$$$ and rare. Then again, this truck is totally worth that kind of investment.

Whoops, I worded that wrong. :lol: It has a 4 speed tilt in it now, and I'm going to put a column shift tilt column in it. I was just going to leave the floor shift column and put in an after market shifter. I changed my mind on that. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 03-06-2014 11:55 AM

Project update. No work is being done, but I've been gathering parts to complete the auto swap and to get the truck daily driver ready. I bought a set of 33 12.50 16.5 BFG AT KOs, a Tcs billet input shaft, lokar locking dipstick, lokar throttle pressure cable, a double deep trans pan, a huge Hayden trans cooler, and I'm still going.

I have plans to relocate the batteries to behind the cab or under it, remove the stack and run exhaust out the back, I need to get my new rear bumper mounted and decide what color to powder coat it. I can't make my mind up on that. It's a toss up between white, an aluminum silver, or black. After a couple other projects are finished, I'll get back on this.

mx289 03-06-2014 07:16 PM

Thats gonna be a fun truck on the street.:metal:

Awesome truck.

Tom

6BT 56 03-06-2014 07:36 PM

What sort of projects have you been up to ? I think you need to do a 02 ish gm 4X4 2500 swap for sumone so I can tag along and get the courage to rip our family truckster apart .

Dieselwrencher 03-06-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6BT 56 (Post 6561394)
What sort of projects have you been up to ? I think you need to do a 02 ish gm 4X4 2500 swap for sumone so I can tag along and get the courage to rip our family truckster apart .

Been parting out some trucks out trying to scrape up the funds to finish some projects. I've got a conversion on another 67-72 to do, and I started putting 2 turbos back on the Corvette. Just waiting on the correct waste gate to finish it. We've had some customer trucks and that has slowed personal projects down again. :lol: I'd do a newer chevy but not many people around here want to dump the money in one. They'll just go get a loan and buy a Dmax truck.