The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Strodder 04-15-2011 10:41 AM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Looks great Allan :metal:

flips72 04-15-2011 04:08 PM

that looks awesome, cant wait to some paint on it. then i am goiong to make a trip to ballground and drool.:lol:

Alan's Classic 04-15-2011 05:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 4625155)
Very nice...You can come do mine too. ;)

I'm burnt out on doing beds right now after mine which isn't done yet and Ronnie's. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by c.brown (Post 4625248)
looking great nice build

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 4625782)
Looks like Glass!

It's diffenately slick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4625807)
Makes me want to go sand on my bedsides.:lol::lol: No I'll just go to bed instead.:waah:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4626224)
Looks great Allan :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 4626743)
that looks awesome, cant wait to some paint on it. then i am goiong to make a trip to ballground and drool.:lol:

Come on down whenever you want.

Thanks to the others for the comments!!

Left work early because I couldn't get in the paint shop since they were painting a 30' toy hauler. Everything is ready to spray...............I think ;).
Got home and decided to make some tubes to run my wires in on top of the engine. I will have one on each side. One for the altenator and one for the AC compressor. I got one made, I hope to do the other one tonight depending on the storms that are rolling in. I used an old valve cover to mock it up.

Alan's Classic 04-15-2011 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, got a problem. Thought I would string some wire to the altenator. First off my dumba$$ didn't think of the size of the wire for the altenator. I know it is bigger than normal, but it will barely fit in the tube. It's a slip fit but no room for the other wire. No big loss. I can use the tube I made for the alt wires on the temp sensor. I just need to make a bigger one for the alt.

The problem came when I tried to plug the harness into the alt. It's a 2 wire connector on the harness and the 1989 S10 alt has 4 wire connector (pictured). EDIT: discussion about this here.

http://www.oehq.com/partpix/acdjpg/PT1742.jpg

Like I said before I'm not an electrical guru. Any ideas on connecting these. I could get the pigtail above (pricey $41.99 at OE parts HQ). I'm sure it is cheaper somewhere else. Even if I went that route which pins do I connect to the harness? Maybe there is another altenator I could use. Just something else to research. :waah:

198plus 04-15-2011 09:16 PM

Nice job Alan that bed looks awesome.....I'm sure mine will look better since your are the one that done my bed . :haha:

shortbed70 04-16-2011 12:40 AM

Man that bed looks SWEET I hope mine comes out half that well.

jsmithbm 04-16-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4622948)
Don't think I'm gonna make it this year. ;) I did make good progress today. I worked about all day on the bed and fenders. Need to prime a couple areas to cover the filler and shoot some body schutz. Getting close to paint. ;)

:waah:
Do what now .... LOL you got jury duty again?! See ya'll in two weeks

Alan's Classic 04-20-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 4627212)
Nice job Alan that bed looks awesome.....I'm sure mine will look better since your are the one that done my bed . :haha:

Thanks Ronnie, I don't know about yours now that I saw it on it's nose in one of your pics. It was in the back ground of one of your pics. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 4627631)
Man that bed looks SWEET I hope mine comes out half that well.

Thanks Troy, I'm sure yours will be just as nice. ;) Did you get my email where I requested your address so I can ship the cluster out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithbm (Post 4628388)
:waah:
Do what now .... LOL you got jury duty again?! See ya'll in two weeks

Hey Joel, it looks like I'm clear from jury duty ythis year. lol. See ya soon.

No pics, but I recieved all the glass today. Also recieved part of my order from Summit. Been doing some small things to stay busy. The main thing being done is running the fuel line from the tank. Pics soon I don't have them here at work.

ruffrida2005 04-20-2011 10:56 PM

Alan my alt was the stock one to the 77 burb motor I had. It was only 2 wires like your pigtail.

Alan's Classic 04-20-2011 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 4636815)
Alan my alt was the stock one to the 77 burb motor I had. It was only 2 wires like your pigtail.

Thanks, I'm not sure with some research that the bodies would be the same so it could mount in the serpentine mount. I'm got a jumper wire on the way. It should fix the problem.

Like I said earlier I got the glass and here are some pics. Shannon and I installed the pass vent window. It wasn't as easy I thought it would be. It's a tight fit. I got it closed and will let it sit over night. It's hard to close because it's rubbing the division bar rubber. The setting tape was old.(free) I think I will get some new tape. Also when the new vent glass is compared to the old one it was larger in some areas.

56taskforce 04-21-2011 11:03 AM

Looking good Alan!!! It is kinda scary pushing the glass and setting tape in to the frame isn't it, even the big side windows on my 56 have frames I got them in with the help of lots of blocks and bar clamps. How ever the bad luck came with the wraparound windshield three days after it was in it cracked must not have been set right.

66BowTieBoy 04-25-2011 12:06 PM

Alan,
Here is another informative link regarding alternators:

http://oljeep.com/gw/alt/edge_Altern...html#Section_2

Danny

Original Truckdude 04-27-2011 11:41 AM

Hey Alan - Thanks for the great build thread with lots of detail. I started looking at it last night and couldn't stop. Before I knew it was 1:00 AM and I was completely bleary eyed. It is great to watch a pro at work and I got some great tips for my '66 Fleetside build. My truck will never come close to yours in quality but you have really inspired a hack like me to learn and improve.

I also like the Miata info, I'm the original owner of a 1990 with 58k miles. I need to finish my long delayed engine swap, the factory engine had the dreaded short snout crank problem.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing more, Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 04-28-2011 07:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 56taskforce (Post 4637518)
Looking good Alan!!! It is kinda scary pushing the glass and setting tape in to the frame isn't it, even the big side windows on my 56 have frames I got them in with the help of lots of blocks and bar clamps. How ever the bad luck came with the wraparound windshield three days after it was in it cracked must not have been set right.

It's scary alright. I dread the windshield. My back glass gasket should be here soon and I'm still waiting on the new setting tape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 4645176)
Alan,
Here is another informative link regarding alternators:

http://oljeep.com/gw/alt/edge_Altern...html#Section_2

Danny

Thanks for the link Danny, I hope to read thru it soon. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original Truckdude (Post 4649244)
Hey Alan - Thanks for the great build thread with lots of detail. I started looking at it last night and couldn't stop. Before I knew it was 1:00 AM and I was completely bleary eyed. It is great to watch a pro at work and I got some great tips for my '66 Fleetside build. My truck will never come close to yours in quality but you have really inspired a hack like me to learn and improve.

I also like the Miata info, I'm the original owner of a 1990 with 58k miles. I need to finish my long delayed engine swap, the factory engine had the dreaded short snout crank problem.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing more, Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Jeff for taking the time to read thru my story. ;)Remember progress not perfection. With every thing you do you will learn and get better.

Been working on the fuel line and brake lines. Got the fuel line done at the tank and have been clamping the lines to the frame rail. I also painted some today. Got the fenders trimmed out better and painted all but one bed supports.

daverod 04-28-2011 09:43 PM

Must be nice to have a real paint booth. Fenders look nice.;)

Strodder 04-28-2011 09:59 PM

I have a 30 x 40 paint boot. It doesn't work that good though. :haha:
So Allan sounds like your OK after the tornadoes. :metal:

ruffrida2005 04-28-2011 11:14 PM

Why does everyone spell Alan's name wrong. It just gets me because it's funny, but it's not.

Dennis yours doesn't work because it's laying outside your shop. I guess I'll have to come pick up it and use it for myself.

daverod 04-28-2011 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it's fun to make fun of Alen:lol:I mean Allen.:lol:Sorry Allan.Brrrrr;)Least Strodder keeps misspelling it the same way. I think I've misspelled it everyway..

Alan

cool, charming, suave, awesome with the women. a real tough guy. the second definition of alan.
I just played some baseball, and really had an Alan time out there, and was just being a winner.

When you go into the club, just alan it. Be like him. Be cool, act cool, be cool.

Synonyms: tough guy, smart, brilliant, charming, awesome, cool, badass, the king, high and mighty, the chaffeur,the connoisseur, the pimp

Antonyms: anti-cool, loner, misogynistic, pervert, perv, wimp

Related words: tough, cool, wise, charming, the bruiser, the enforcer

Misspellings: allen, allan, allon, alon, alen, elan, alun

:lol::lol:the enforcer the pimp.:lol::lol:

bubba327 04-28-2011 11:47 PM

Hows things in Georgia Alan ?? I hope the Terrible storms missed you and that your family is safe. The news claimed 175 hurricanes hit the southern states yesterday in one day.
What a terrible tragedy!

198plus 04-29-2011 12:26 AM

Looks great Alan.

Strodder 04-29-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 4652286)
Why does everyone spell Alan's name wrong. It just gets me because it's funny, but it's not.

Dennis yours doesn't work because it's laying outside your shop. I guess I'll have to come pick up it and use it for myself.

Your too late I gave it to my son. :ito:

flips72 04-29-2011 09:34 PM

looking good cant wait to see it finished.

Alan's Classic 04-29-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4652078)
Must be nice to have a real paint booth. Fenders look nice.;)

It is and it's also nice having people around to answer my questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4652118)
I have a 30 x 40 paint boot. It doesn't work that good though. :haha:
So Allan sounds like your OK after the tornadoes. :metal:

Got hairy at times. The wind didn' know which way to blow sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 4652286)

I've been called worse. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4652338)
I think it's fun to make fun of Alen:lol:I mean Allen.:lol:Sorry Allan.Brrrrr;)Least Strodder keeps misspelling it the same way. I think I've misspelled it everyway..

Alan

cool, charming, suave, awesome with the women. a real tough guy. the second definition of alan.
I just played some baseball, and really had an Alan time out there, and was just being a winner.

When you go into the club, just alan it. Be like him. Be cool, act cool, be cool.

Synonyms: tough guy, smart, brilliant, charming, awesome, cool, badass, the king, high and mighty, the chaffeur,the connoisseur, the pimp

Antonyms: anti-cool, loner, misogynistic, pervert, perv, wimp

Related words: tough, cool, wise, charming, the bruiser, the enforcer

Misspellings: allen, allan, allon, alon, alen, elan, alun

:lol::lol:the enforcer the pimp.:lol::lol:

Soooooooooo......That's who I am. I've been trying to figure it out. :hha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 4652442)
Looks great Alan.

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 4653750)
looking good cant wait to see it finished.

Thanks!! Little by little.

Getting ready fo our Chewin' the fat BBQ get together tommorrow. Hope to hve a good turn out.

Alan's Classic 04-29-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba327 (Post 4652365)
Hows things in Georgia Alan ?? I hope the Terrible storms missed you and that your family is safe. The news claimed 175 hurricanes hit the southern states yesterday in one day.
What a terrible tragedy!

Things are fine here. Had 2 tornados about 10 miles north and one was heading for us and fizzled out. Very concerned at times. I'm praying for those hit hard by all this destruction.

Alan's Classic 04-30-2011 09:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We had our "Chewin' the fat" meet today and had 15 people and 9 trucks. Ha d a great time. More pics here go to post 197

Tried to install the back glass and they sent a back glass for a 67-72. Frustrated, I was going to give up for the night. I was scared to death to do the windshield and the way my luck was with the back glass I didn't want to do it. Shannon motivated me to do it and I'm glad he did. It was easy to do and took us 45 minutes at the most. My glass guy told me to double rope it and that is the trick. the first rope starts the rubber over the pinch weld and the second finished it off.

I started the glass at the bottom and Shannon worked each rope about a foot at a time along the bottom and worked up one side half way then went to the other side so the glass didn't get under much tension. Then around each top corner then to the top. I kept working the rubber where he was pulling the rope and it walked right in. I'm extremely happy.

I used 2 pieces of 1/4 nylon parachut cord and soap/water.

sdailey 04-30-2011 09:42 PM

I bet if we try real hard we could get that 67-72 glass to fit that '65.:lol:

Progress man!!!:metal:

Strodder 05-01-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 4655087)

Anything is possible if you use the right size hammer:metal: :haha:
Posted via Mobile Device

chad64chevy 05-02-2011 03:19 PM

that looks great! you got the bed painted yet?? can't wait to see it's done

Alan's Classic 05-06-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 4655087)

:haha: thanks again for the help again and also for the help last night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4655747)
Anything is possible if you use the right size hammer:metal: :haha:
Posted via Mobile Device

I needed a BFH last night installing the back glass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 4658198)
that looks great! you got the bed painted yet?? can't wait to see it's done

Thanks, the bed hasn't been painted yet. There is a little thing that keeps getting in the way...........Life. :haha: I thought about spraying it this weekend until i realized it's mothers day weekend.

Shannon helped me install the back glass last night. I wish I've seen one installed before and the tricks to get it done. We were flying by the seat of our pants last night. After 2 hours the glass is in, but I still have to install the locking strip. Borrowed a tool form a guy at work today to see if it make it easier. I searched for a rope in weatherstrip, but couldn't find one. With the technology today it should be offered. It would cut down the install time and frustration level.

I also got the 1/32" setting tape today.

I got my fuel tank from Dave Boyd and he offers this fuel sender. i want to know if it is the correct one or not. I'm running the 59 Impala fuel gauge. I know it should be a 30 ohm. Dave said this is what I need (listed in the above link). It says ohms is 240-33. The 240 is confussing me.

http://www.boydwelding.com/wp-conten...er-300x225.jpg

Strodder 05-06-2011 03:08 PM

Maybe a BFRH (Big F**ken rubber hammer) being that it's glass. :haha:

cjracing15 05-06-2011 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4627061)
OK, got a problem. Thought I would string some wire to the altenator. First off my dumba$$ didn't think of the size of the wire for the altenator. I know it is bigger than normal, but it will barely fit in the tube. It's a slip fit but no room for the other wire. No big loss. I can use the tube I made for the alt wires on the temp sensor. I just need to make a bigger one for the alt.

The problem came when I tried to plug the harness into the alt. It's a 2 wire connector on the harness and the 1989 S10 alt has 4 wire connector (pictured). EDIT: discussion about this here.

http://www.oehq.com/partpix/acdjpg/PT1742.jpg

Like I said before I'm not an electrical guru. Any ideas on connecting these. I could get the pigtail above (pricey $41.99 at OE parts HQ). I'm sure it is cheaper somewhere else. Even if I went that route which pins do I connect to the harness? Maybe there is another altenator I could use. Just something else to research. :waah:

This is what I did on this on my alt adapter. Worked GREAT. got it from my local napa store.
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0 17.49 at my local store. :)
Good luck. Can't wait to see it painted.

TR65 05-07-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4665270)
[COLOR="Blue"]:I got my fuel tank from Dave Boyd and he offers this fuel sender. i want to know if it is the correct one or not. I'm running the 59 Impala fuel gauge. I know it should be a 30 ohm. Dave said this is what I need (listed in the above link). It says ohms is 240-33. The 240 is confussing me.

http://www.boydwelding.com/wp-conten...er-300x225.jpg

Alan,

The 240-33 is the late model sender (they work in reverse compared to ours)

Our trucks used the 0-30 ohm sender so I assume the 59 did too.
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=ATK59SU

After ours they went to 0-90.

TR

Alan's Classic 05-07-2011 09:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjracing15 (Post 4666090)
This is what I did on this on my alt adapter. Worked GREAT. got it from my local napa store.
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0 17.49 at my local store. :)
Good luck. Can't wait to see it painted.

Thanks for the help and link. I forgot to upload the pic of what I got from Stellar (member). I will show a pic below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR65 (Post 4666354)
Alan,

The 240-33 is the late model sender (they work in reverse compared to ours)

Our trucks used the 0-30 ohm sender so I assume the 59 did too.
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=ATK59SU

After ours they went to 0-90.

TR

Thanks for the pic and link. Their's are cheaper than Dave Boyd.

Got the back glass finished up today. It's nice when you have the right tools. ;) The lacing tool is borrowed from a guy at work. I had the locking strip in in less than 10 minutes.

boat 05-07-2011 11:10 PM

looking good alan man you do great work:metal:

Strodder 05-08-2011 10:28 AM

Coming along really nice Allan. Looks like you will be done soon. :metal: But not soon enough, huh? :lol:

scotts62 05-08-2011 01:12 PM

Very nice! Looking good! :thumbs:

Alan's Classic 05-08-2011 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by boat (Post 4668361)
looking good alan man you do great work:metal:

Thanks man!! I'm trying to do the best I can. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4668806)
Coming along really nice Allan. Looks like you will be done soon. :metal: But not soon enough, huh? :lol:

One thing at a time and it will eventually be done. :thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 4669020)
Very nice! Looking good! :thumbs:

Thanks Scott!!

Got the passenger door glass all done. The vent window is a little tight to close. I want to roll it out in the sun and let it bake for awhile. The 1/32" setting tape is to thin. I tried doubling it, but that put me right back where I was. I used one and a half. I ripped one piece lenght wise. Now it's a good fit. Just hope it hangs in there, :haha: All the weatherstrips are installed.

scotts62 05-08-2011 11:43 PM

:lol:

Sweet!! Looking good again!! :lol:

daverod 05-08-2011 11:47 PM

Very nice. Why does your truck always look so clean.;) Did your trans have any electrial hook ups? Mine has a little 3 or 4 hole plug lookin thing on it?

Alan's Classic 05-08-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 4670041)
:lol:

Sweet!! Looking good again!! :lol:

Thanks again :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4670049)
Very nice. Why does your truck always look so clean.;) Did your trans have any electrial hook ups? Mine has a little 3 or 4 hole plug lookin thing on it?

Clean??? Did you see all the dust on the roof? :haha: Once I get all the glass in it's going outside for a bath. The frame is covered in 1/2" of dust.

The trans doesn't have an electrical hook up to the best of my knowledge. i don't ever remeber a 350 having an electrical plug. But, I've slept since then. ;) It's a TCI 350.