The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   my 65 fleetside build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=442370)

flips72 12-03-2011 11:11 PM

Re: my 65 fleetside build

2 Attachment(s)
looks like i will be replacing asmall part of the floor, the lower section of the door pillar and the lower section of the kick panel. i was expecting to change the rocker and lower kick panel so i have those parts all ready but i will have to order some more parts. i did get the rocker fitted it looks pretty good, just have to wait till i get the rest of the re-pairs done first probably can expect the same on the driver side.

allaboutchevelles 12-03-2011 11:47 PM

Looks like you have been real busy. The front end seems to line up real nice. Those fenders look good. Did you buy new inner fenders or just repaint them. If they are new, how good did they fit?? I have the same problem with my doors. It seems that they kinda roll inward around the edges so they dont meet up flush next to the fenders. I cant wait to get my cab back on the frame and start mocking everything up. Are you going to tear down your frame and paint or power coat all the frame and suspension? Great job on the truck and loving all the pics. Keep up the good work!!!!

allaboutchevelles 12-04-2011 12:32 AM

Forgot to ask you if you fit the doors on with the new rocker in place?? I had to adjust my rocker some because it was hitting the bottom of the door.

flips72 12-04-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5046165)
Looks like you have been real busy. The front end seems to line up real nice. Those fenders look good. Did you buy new inner fenders or just repaint them. If they are new, how good did they fit?? I have the same problem with my doors. It seems that they kinda roll inward around the edges so they dont meet up flush next to the fenders. I cant wait to get my cab back on the frame and start mocking everything up. Are you going to tear down your frame and paint or power coat all the frame and suspension? Great job on the truck and loving all the pics. Keep up the good work!!!!

yeah its been a busy, the inner fenders are aftermarket and they dont fit very well, i am thinking about re-pairing my originals and using them, thats what i should have done to start with they were not that bad.as far as the doors go i dont think they should be that hard to fix, dolly and a hammer should get most of it. the frame will get re-done but i will probably do it with the black epoxy i did my rad. support with, i did a 72 4x4 with it and it looked great. i have disc brakes for the rear and 4 inch drop spings and i ordered a set of 2.5 drop spindles for the front, i allready cut half a coil off my springs so i hope it sets good. thanks for the compliments, now i need you to come down and patch my floor for me since you did such a great job on yours.

collins10672 12-04-2011 01:43 AM

your cab rust looks very minor to most of these trucks i have seen and owned over the years.your truck is definitely one of the better ones.nice build

flips72 12-05-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5046266)
Forgot to ask you if you fit the doors on with the new rocker in place?? I had to adjust my rocker some because it was hitting the bottom of the door.

i havent fitted them with the doors on but will definetly do that before the are welded in. my brother had the same problem on his 67.

flips72 12-05-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5046266)

Quote:

Originally Posted by collins10672 (Post 5046375)
your cab rust looks very minor to most of these trucks i have seen and owned over the years.your truck is definitely one of the better ones.nice build

thanks collins, all in all cab is not to bad, came home today and decided to see what was under the driver side rocker panel and its about the same as the pass. side. but i was extremely happy when i checked my cab corners they are solid :metal: heres some pics

flips72 12-05-2011 09:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
oops hit the wrong button:lol:

flips72 12-05-2011 09:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
cab corners

allaboutchevelles 12-06-2011 01:08 AM

Making good progress!! Ill come do your rockers if you block out my roof for me, LOL. Glad to see your cab corners are solid, that will save you some work. I found a few more spots near the front of my roof im going to rework so im still not ready for primmer just yet. keep the pics coming!! Doing a great job!!

flips72 12-06-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5050353)
Making good progress!! Ill come do your rockers if you block out my roof for me, LOL. Glad to see your cab corners are solid, that will save you some work. I found a few more spots near the front of my roof im going to rework so im still not ready for primmer just yet. keep the pics coming!! Doing a great job!!

sounds like a deal to me, see ya saturday:lol:

McMurphy 12-06-2011 10:59 AM

Looking good there Flips!
I have to change out rocker panels, some floor pan, and both cab corners for sure on both sides. I am waiting for an order from HF that has my spot weld tool so I can get mine off like you did yours...

structures 12-06-2011 09:05 PM

Looks good flips. Just played a little catch up tonight on your progress. Looking forward to the cab work.

flips72 12-09-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5050744)
Looking good there Flips!
I have to change out rocker panels, some floor pan, and both cab corners for sure on both sides. I am waiting for an order from HF that has my spot weld tool so I can get mine off like you did yours...

thanks McMurphy, i got my cutter from a guy i work with, he bought it off the mac truck. works pretty good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by structures (Post 5051742)
Looks good flips. Just played a little catch up tonight on your progress. Looking forward to the cab work.

thanks structures, cut the bad out of the pass.side last night and re-paired the floor today, hopefully install kick panel, a pillar and install rocker panel tommorrow, will post some pics tommorrow. got a hot date with a beautiful woman tonight:metal:

allaboutchevelles 12-09-2011 11:40 PM

Your moving right along on your truck. You will be done by this spring I bet if you keep this pace up. I been taking a break from mine and catching up on things around the house.

198plus 12-09-2011 11:53 PM

Nice job !!!!!

flips72 12-10-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5057258)
Your moving right along on your truck. You will be done by this spring I bet if you keep this pace up. I been taking a break from mine and catching up on things around the house.

boy, that would be nice, to be done by spring that is. i had to do the same thing this fall its easy to let things get behind if you have a one track mind like me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 5057290)
Nice job !!!!!

thanks ronnie. i absolutely love the black on yours, super nice.

flips72 12-10-2011 08:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
floor is re-paired, a pillar installed along with kick panel and rocker panel is allmost done just like cleaning up my welds and seam sealing it. here is a few pics.

flips72 12-10-2011 08:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
a few more

flips72 12-10-2011 09:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
then came the rocker panel. first i tacked it in a couple places, then re-installed the door and fender, no rubs, tada

allaboutchevelles 12-10-2011 11:04 PM

WoW, What alot of work in one day. That hot date must have gave you a huge boost!! :lol:. Work looks really good. So your half done with the cab already. You will have it ready for paint soon. I got my dura blocks kit today so maybe I can finish my roof this week. keep pics coming!!

McMurphy 12-12-2011 03:06 AM

Did you have any trouble with your bolt holes lining up or did you run bolts thru them when you were welding them in?

You are about 3-4 months ahead of me on your build. I have to order all those floor patch, rockers and cab corner parts still.

Good progress, you work much faster than I do!

flips72 12-12-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5058657)
WoW, What alot of work in one day. That hot date must have gave you a huge boost!! :lol:. Work looks really good. So your half done with the cab already. You will have it ready for paint soon. I got my dura blocks kit today so maybe I can finish my roof this week. keep pics coming!!

lol on the hot date, thanks for the compliments and i think you will really like the durablocks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5060555)
Did you have any trouble with your bolt holes lining up or did you run bolts thru them when you were welding them in?

You are about 3-4 months ahead of me on your build. I have to order all those floor patch, rockers and cab corner parts still.

Good progress, you work much faster than I do!

yes i had to weld up the factory holes in the replacement parts and re-drill them, but it all came together. thanks to all about chevelles i oredered my driver side from lmc and it was the one that went from front to rear and was a whole lot better looking piece.

flips72 12-12-2011 10:17 PM

took a vacation day and cut out driver side floor rot and a pillar and kick panel, i got the floor almost patched, parts didnt get here till 4 didnt leave much time to work on it. i will post some pics tommorrow its been a long weekend.

allaboutchevelles 12-12-2011 11:22 PM

flips, your welcome and glad that panel was what you were looking for. I havent had time to try those blocks yet, but soon I hope.